As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quick [chat]

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    There is a shitty metal band called Amon Amarth.

Actually, I've nwver heard their music, but i can't imagine they would be good, i mean their bame is fucking Mt Doom in elvish.

they're fkin great btw

Metal is for sure the nerdiest genre. It is known

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    HOLY SHIT!

The Sr. PM just threw a shit fit and quit.

Spongebobjawdrop.gif

deets
    The cause of the meeting.
    I made a mistake that the Sr. PM and I fixed. The VP called us into a meeting, the VP asked about why extra product was lying around in relation to the mistake. I said I made a mistake we fixed it, here is the final impact (about 6.5k). I staged delivery of the fix to not confuse the field.

The VP asked the SR. PM why he didn't go in after I had surveyed, with the production drawings and double check the measurements to avoid the fuck up, because he said he would. The SR. PM said he never said he did and if the VP insists that he did he was going to quit. With predictable results.

The shit fit was him going to the HR lady yelling he quit, throwing the phone down to purchasing and saying he quit and storming out the door saying he would never come back.

Your VP is going to have to kiss some serious ass if this guy is good at his job.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    My nostalgia for FFX also lets me dismiss all the BS with Seymour and the whole plot twist with Sin and get weepy every single time at the tragic romance between Tidus and Yuna

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Tolkien named the mountain after a band? That's lame.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Of all the JRPGs i've played the only one that wasn't at least a bit confusing in terms of plot is Chrono Trigger

but that's because Chrono Trigger is a transcendent game and exists...out of time

:cool:

it's a damning indictment of the hot mess that is JRPG's that the one that features time travel as a central part of the story is the one that is the most comprehensible.

The problem with JRPGs is often the random twists the story takes. In Chrono Trigger, there is a moment when your goal becomes clear, and everything else is in service to that. In other games, like FFVI, there are some twists following your goal, but it is always clear at the moment.

Contrastingly, in games like the Tales series (which I love), the goal changes a trillion times. In Tales of Symphonia, you start out taking your friend on a journey, then you kill an angel, then you are betrayed, then you are sent to a new world knowing nothing, then you try to cure your now angel-friend, then some other stuff happens - I can't remember what - then you start fighting some bros, then it turns out a heroic figure isn't dead, then you go to space for a bit, then you fight the guy that betrayed you again, then you fight the hero who is also an angel.

Your actual main goal changes, and you're always doing adjacent stuff that leads you towards it, but the main villain isn't revealed until later, and there are tons of distractions.

Oh god. I'd forgotten about that game.
    And I only remember half of that stuff, and I think I blended it and Grandia 2 in my head... or maybe I haven't.
    Remembering which one is which after the fact is nearly as difficult as keeping what is going on straight in your head while playing it.

Look, the eternal king of the shit plot twist JRPG angle will be, now and forever, Star Ocean: Til the End of Time. "Whoops, you were an MMO the whole time!"

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    One of the biggest problems with FF7 besides the graphics is the incredibly awful english translation, which was one of the main reasons for the story not making sense. So a remake would be helpful in that regard.

Also, Barretts entire dialogue.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    I do not get people being hyped for a final fantasy 7 remake

Like what is the point

What if they change it so you can save Aeris

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Do Japanese games have plots?

I thought each level was a separate anthology featuring the same cast, like American Horror Story

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    the windmill farm parts are my favorite

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    Meanwhile I think Miyazaki said nostalgia is the basis of all good art

That seems like a bold statement.

The first art ever made was a piece of shit, but by the time a third caveman finished "the hunt 2.6 HD remaster" people were starting to get on board with this whole representational drawing thing.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hah hah mornings can go fuck themselves in whatever orifice or method they choose because *caffiene blast* oh hello chat, how is your sex life?

Not as good as that of mornings, which are apparently fucking themselves in whatever orifice and method they choose

The dream is still alive, Shivahn.

Don't stop believin.

Th.. the sex dream?

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    hi chat

I no longer live near the best coffee shop

this saddens me

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    i can't stop farting

send help

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Good remakes as far as nostalgia goes are the ones where you play through them going "yes, this is how I remember it" and then go "MEIN EYES!" when you look at the original.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Hah hah mornings can go fuck themselves in whatever orifice or method they choose because *caffiene blast* oh hello chat, how is your sex life?

Not as good as that of mornings, which are apparently fucking themselves in whatever orifice and method they choose

Don't stop believin.

Th.. the sex dream?

I thought they shut that place down!

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    There is a shitty metal band called Amon Amarth.

Actually, I've never heard their music, but i can't imagine they would be good, i mean their name is fucking Mt Doom in elvish.

They are super fun.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    One of the biggest problems with FF7 besides the graphics is the incredibly awful english translation, which was one of the main reasons for the story not making sense. So a remake would be helpful in that regard.

Also, Barretts entire dialogue.

Also the rest of the game

• Options
    My nostalgia for FFX also lets me dismiss all the BS with Seymour and the whole plot twist with Sin and get weepy every single time at the tragic romance between Tidus and Yuna

Doesn't let you dismiss those terrible cutscenes though.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I am still offended that :trollface: was removed

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    So I'm back from a hospital visit because my shoulder slid out of socket again really bad and caused some ugly bruising and the docs gave me some fun time pills so I may or may not be out of my fucking mind for a bit.

Don't enjoy the opioid high too much, that way lies danger, but like also, enjoy being high?

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    jungleroom be all like: "Operator, connect me to the mooooooooooooooon"

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Don't stop believin.

Th.. the sex dream?

I am absolutely not sure at this point.

• Options
    jungleroom be all like: "Operator, connect me to the mooooooooooooooon"

Hey dawg I'm all like blooooooooop and shit

• Options
    I really don't know how Square got it in their head that what people really wanted was a bad CG movie with rpg elements tacked on

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

But the most important thing remains

:bzz:

• Options
    6k might not have been a big deal, but he's probably going to have to pony up > 6k to get someone new in that position, or get this guy back.

Was it worth it to lie? Probably not.

This is why projects in the millions have contingencies.

Hell housing projects worth 150k have contingencies higher than 6k.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

:so_raven:

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Tolkien named the mountain after a band? That's lame.

Amon Wu-Tang

Minas Who

Kazad Abba

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I should probably start thinking about what I want to do for lunch, so that I don't end up at panera yet again.

• Options
    Grape Ape wrote: »

:hydra:

• Options
    Sleep wrote: »
    So I'm back from a hospital visit because my shoulder slid out of socket again really bad and caused some ugly bruising and the docs gave me some fun time pills so I may or may not be out of my fucking mind for a bit.

Don't enjoy the opioid high too much, that way lies danger, but like also, enjoy being high?

Woodewoo.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Of all the JRPGs i've played the only one that wasn't at least a bit confusing in terms of plot is Chrono Trigger

but that's because Chrono Trigger is a transcendent game and exists...out of time

:cool:

it's a damning indictment of the hot mess that is JRPG's that the one that features time travel as a central part of the story is the one that is the most comprehensible.

The problem with JRPGs is often the random twists the story takes. In Chrono Trigger, there is a moment when your goal becomes clear, and everything else is in service to that. In other games, like FFVI, there are some twists following your goal, but it is always clear at the moment.

Contrastingly, in games like the Tales series (which I love), the goal changes a trillion times. In Tales of Symphonia, you start out taking your friend on a journey, then you kill an angel, then you are betrayed, then you are sent to a new world knowing nothing, then you try to cure your now angel-friend, then some other stuff happens - I can't remember what - then you start fighting some bros, then it turns out a heroic figure isn't dead, then you go to space for a bit, then you fight the guy that betrayed you again, then you fight the hero who is also an angel.

Your actual main goal changes, and you're always doing adjacent stuff that leads you towards it, but the main villain isn't revealed until later, and there are tons of distractions.

Oh god. I'd forgotten about that game.
    And I only remember half of that stuff, and I think I blended it and Grandia 2 in my head... or maybe I haven't.
    Remembering which one is which after the fact is nearly as difficult as keeping what is going on straight in your head while playing it.

Look, the eternal king of the shit plot twist JRPG angle will be, now and forever, Star Ocean: Til the End of Time. "Whoops, you were an MMO the whole time!"

Holy shit I forgot that was the end of that game. Decent gameplay on the way to that WTF ending though.

Sleep on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

5tejyfF.png

• Options
    ronya wrote: »

:snap:

• Options
    edited June 2016
    no lie I'm still ruminating on @knitdan's Good Advice for Strawberries

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    I really don't know how Square got it in their head that what people really wanted was a bad CG movie with rpg elements tacked on

You really had to be there to appreciate how MIND BLOWING the graphics were.

My brother made a save point right before
    Cloud gives the Black Materia to Sephiroth and the Weapons are released

So he could go back and watch that cutscene.

• Options
    damn it RMS

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ronya wrote: »

:snap:

:bro:

• Options
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    I should probably start thinking about what I want to do for lunch, so that I don't end up at panera yet again.

*looks around confusedly*

"How the fuck? . . . . Oh goddamn it, again??"

*begins weeping softly*

"Gimme a cobb salad."

This discussion has been closed.