As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Overwatch: Kawaii Noon

19495969798100»

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    30% nerf to the turret seems staggeringly ludicrous to me, but I've been assured that Torb functions entirely different on console despite none of the actual counters to Torbjorn requiring particularly fast or precise aiming.

So hey, maybe he'll be fine with a turret that any single hero in the game could walk up to and DPS race to death.
    It is mostly because 3 or 4 Torb defense teams are very common on consoles so it is less the single turret as a problem but having 4 dead on 100% accurate turrets all covering the same area creating a ridiculous killbox

I have yet to get an answer as to how that differs from PC except "if you played on console you'd know"

Like, the answer to 3 or 4 Torbs is to get in there with D.Va and blow it up or run in with multiple Zaryas and use the free charge to burn the turrets down

Not strategies that require dat KBAM precision

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah, even with a 30% hit busting out a surprise Molten Core when the other team isn't expecting it is a game changer.

CYpGAPn.png
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Here is the thing with being competitive.

Think about a pickup basketball game with strangers at the community center. It is totally a jerk move to show up and get hyper aggressive. Yelling at people and making it no fun for anyone.

But it is also not cool to show up and not even try. No one will want to play with you again on that situation.

That's my rule of thumb. If I were playing a real life pickup game with strangers, would I act this way?

Now, playing with friends is different, because you know what they are cool with and what they aren't. You can define the parameters of the group to hyper competition or just screwing around all the time.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    30% nerf to the turret seems staggeringly ludicrous to me, but I've been assured that Torb functions entirely different on console despite none of the actual counters to Torbjorn requiring particularly fast or precise aiming.

So hey, maybe he'll be fine with a turret that any single hero in the game could walk up to and DPS race to death.
    It is mostly because 3 or 4 Torb defense teams are very common on consoles so it is less the single turret as a problem but having 4 dead on 100% accurate turrets all covering the same area creating a ridiculous killbox

I have yet to get an answer as to how that differs from PC except "if you played on console you'd know"

Like, the answer to 3 or 4 Torbs is to get in there with D.Va and blow it up or run in with multiple Zaryas and use the free charge to burn the turrets down

Not strategies that require dat KBAM precision

Sniping is one of the generally understood counters to turret nests

Guess what's harder to do on consoles

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I actually wouldn't consider sniping to be a particularly viable strategy to multiple torbs because they can largely hide outside of sniper sightlines

I think you're much better off getting Zarya, D.Va, Winston in there to knock the house down

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    I think torbjorn is fine on PC but if I were to change him I'd reduce his armor drops to 50 hp

he's fine right now and it's actually already best to play him actively

camping your turret is basically depriving your team of your rivet gun

This is kind of what I'm getting at.

I think active Torb is better than passive but playing him passively is viable enough that a lot of folks don't realize this.

I think the scrap mechanic is meant to get folks to move around but I think they greatly underestimated how selfish random players can be.

Might be a big part of it too....I am always dropping crap tons for armor, and never sit still. I don't babysit my turrets at all and they often get wrecked. If you take the way I play....30% makes his turret a virtually useless proposition. It becomes something that does almost nothing, maybe contributes a clean up kill or two a game, almost not worth messing with, which leads you to think why bother playing a guy with a useless ability.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
    Both of those strategies require a lot more coordination than basically any Quick Play game I have ever had on PS4

In contrast, 3 or 4 Torbs require basically no planning or coordination to be super efficient and effective.

Most Overwatch matches are gonna be played with total randos and they need to plan accordingly

CYpGAPn.png
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    30% doesn't seem that bad really

and if it turns out to be backbreaking they can always adjust it up some

No tears for torbs

2x39jD4.jpg
    Torbjorn turrets already only do like 50 damage per second

Yeah, all 30% really means is I need to work on getting more sweet sweet headshots with my molten pistol which hit SHOCKINGLY hard and people always seem to forget about to pull my weight

CYpGAPn.png
    edited June 2016

Yeah but that's a good amount of damage when you have perfect aim, no damage fall off, and a long enough sight range that most characters can't hit it without being hit themselves

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
    And are constantly, quickly, generating Ult charge when firing and are deadly accurate

Considering a lot of characters have around 200 health having 4 super accurate turrets with 50 dps and a solid chance of at least one of them being able to toss out around 120 a second at any given moment in addition to the Torbs with their very effective guns also running around you have a very deadly, very efficient and VERY easy to pull of strategy on consoles compared to basically every other equally effective defense strat

CYpGAPn.png
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I would like it so sitting back and camping the turreu wasn't a viable strategy and you had to be a bit more active as Torb.

Not sure how to achieve that though.

I think active Torb is much better than passive Torb. He's durable as heck, especially with his armor, and his right click hits like a truck.

And he can rebuild and upgrade in like 10 seconds with no need to collect resources. Turrets are completely disposable which makes their high power all the more obnoxious.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Shorty wrote: »
    I think torbjorn is fine on PC but if I were to change him I'd reduce his armor drops to 50 hp

he's fine right now and it's actually already best to play him actively

camping your turret is basically depriving your team of your rivet gun

This is kind of what I'm getting at.

I think active Torb is better than passive but playing him passively is viable enough that a lot of folks don't realize this.

I think the scrap mechanic is meant to get folks to move around but I think they greatly underestimated how selfish random players can be.

Yeah I think part of the issue is that TF2 taught people that engineer stands behind his turret and wacks it with a wrench and people have trouble un-learning that. I've had a few games with torbs who just do this, never shoot, and don't drop armor, and it's super frusterating... particularly if I'm Zarya and I'm going "welp I'd be immortal if you could go grab some scrap for me".

RawrBear on
    He can rebuild and upgrade as long as he is not within line of sight of any opposing players during that time, which is an important distinction

Doing any damage at all to a level 1 turret will prevent Torbjorn from upgrading it

Torb armor almost makes it reasonable to have Symmetra as your single support, it is good stuff and I love when a friendly torb is just covering the entire field in little armor packs

2x39jD4.jpg
  • HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Maddoc maybe just accept the people with actual experience playing the game on console know more about this than you do?

His win rate is around 70%, there's no argument that he isn't overpowered, all the counters are hindered by slower movement and aiming than on pc

PSN- AHermano
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Torb armor almost makes it reasonable to have Symmetra as your single support, it is good stuff and I love when a friendly torb is just covering the entire field in little armor packs

Torb armor and Symmetra shields is a hundred extra health

If the Torb is collecting a lot of scrap, your whole team, including tanks and healers could have a hundred extra health PLUS the damage mitigation from armor, and since the shields always get hit first, that armor mitigation is going to stick around even longer, especially on characters like Sym, Zen, and Zarya, who have a shitload of shields

The Torb and Sym combo is hysterically good and when I'm playing a tank it makes me so happy

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    roboracist dwarf guy has one of the highest win rates, apparently

i would say if anything maybe he could use a more obvious range dropoff on his turrets, i get the feeling snipers often don't really understand that they're a counter to those things

The range is the problem for snipers too though. I don't know about you but I rarely put my turret in a spot where widow can take full advantage of her range and if it sees her or Phara they'll at best trade themselves for a turret that's back up in seconds.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I dislike how quickly Torb's turrets can turn
    in the time it takes to peek and line up a shot, I'm already getting my health plinked away

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    Maddoc maybe just accept the people with actual experience playing the game on console know more about this than you do?

His win rate is around 70%, there's no argument that he isn't overpowered, all the counters are hindered by slower movement and aiming than on pc

Yeah,

I mean I totally agree in aggregate Torb is an issue, I just wonder about this level of nerf making him of marginal use as a singleton. There is certainly a problem...I just wonder if they responded to a thorn in the side by burning the whole bush.

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Honestly I'd rather have the target acquisition time be a little longer than have the turret damage lowered. Make it still relevant in teamfights but flanking them becomes a possibility.

Still, I'll take whatever it takes to stop 6-stack Torb from ruling on console forever

Dubh wrote: »
    I dislike how quickly Torb's turrets can turn
    in the time it takes to peek and line up a shot, I'm already getting my health plinked away

This is more the tact I would have taken. I would rather they stay useful but make it possible to get the drop on them....especially outside of the front 45 degree arc.

This discussion has been closed.