As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jason And The [chat]onauts

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Our conference system just uses beeps for joiners. But it's a loud DOOOT. When someone leaves it's a DOOT doot. The end of conference calls sound like lemmings jumping off a cliff

that's normally how it works for us too, I've never been in one with a stately posh British cyborg announcing the nobility's arrival

THE DUKE OF WEASEL TOWN

--weselton!

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    Desc wrote:
    Although what's interesting is revenue too

Table - $9,818.4 million, +6.3%
    Sparkling - $922.4 million, +14.5%

So higher end proseccos and moscatos must be growing too

It's not purely bottomless mimosas

desc

If some of my good bros are to be believed, sparkling Rosé has been becoming the official drink of the gay dink professional class over the past year or so.

As always, gay people are the vanguard and rosé sales are for sure on the way up

Straight girls will co-op it from gay dudes during this summer, one presumes

http://pagesix.com/2014/08/27/rose-running-dangerously-low-in-the-hamptons/
    The Hamptons Rosé shortage of 2014. NEVER 4GET

*dabs away a single tear with an American flag*

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Leaving 10 gigs of decade old emails on your exchange account should be a criminal offense

No, because gigs are fucking cheap.

I used to feel this way, and there are things to be done to stem the tide intelligently like aggregating attachments (or even using some kind of off platform solution like box or dropbox), but people should be allowed to hit the search box and find a conversation from 6 years ago.

The fact that gmail offers people a significantly larger mailbox for free than most Enterprise exchange end users have is just sad. Sad!

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Skippy quoting Disney movies doesn't get you any points you anti star wars monster

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Desc wrote:

desc

If some of my good bros are to be believed, sparkling Rosé has been becoming the official drink of the gay dink professional class over the past year or so.

As always, gay people are the vanguard and rosé sales are for sure on the way up

Nickie asked for Moet Rosé Imperial for mother's day.

That's a great idea for when you're too tired to go out, but would like to pay for your wine like you bought it by the glass anyway
    :biggrin:

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    We use Symantec vault to store old emails. Gets them out of the exchange but you can still call them up from outlook. One of symantecs better tools.

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Our conference system just uses beeps for joiners. But it's a loud DOOOT. When someone leaves it's a DOOT doot. The end of conference calls sound like lemmings jumping off a cliff

Let's not forget those who join and then don't mute their phone. Yes, I love hearing you eat chips or have a conversation with a coworker.

Or talk shit about the person speaking. Yuuup. Seen it live.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Leaving 10 gigs of decade old emails on your exchange account should be a criminal offense

No, because gigs are fucking cheap.

I used to feel this way, and there are things to be done to stem the tide intelligently like aggregating attachments (or even using some kind of off platform solution like box or dropbox), but people should be allowed to hit the search box and find a conversation from 6 years ago.

The fact that gmail offers people a significantly larger mailbox for free than most Enterprise exchange end users have is just sad. Sad!

its not the gigs its that every read/write of an email in exchange increases the chances it gets corrupted. When you get a corrupted profile Outlook shits itself in a thousand different ways.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    oh synd, speaking of wine, we penciled in vineyards with Big Joe for July 16th if you're down.
    Mrs. Big Joe doesn't fuck around with aspirational plans to be ironed out later. "We all have our calendars in front of us. Let's pick a date now."

Mrs. Joe: Winner - Best Friend's Wife 2016

Deebaser on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Desc wrote:

desc

That's a great idea for when you're too tired to go out, but would like to pay for your wine like you bought it by the glass anyway

She wanted mimosas with breakfast too so that was a bottle of Veuve Cliquot...

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Someone do my self evaluation for me, please.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Fox News is on at work

"Are Trump's racist remarks about the Judge really all that different from when Biden called Obama 'articulate?'"

never change, Fox

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    no matter how many times we have this argument I will not agree that email inbox is a good place for file storage

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Wandering with a cheeky try at gazumping the official [chat] appointees there.

This [chat] is all stop-motion monsters all the time.
    I could not stand idly by after sitting through all the deplorable Playstationist propaganda in the last thread, by those poor lost souls who abandoned the true innovators and craftsman at Nintendo for the siren song of full motion video and CD-ROMs and gimcrackery

• Options

Committed to identifying the best outcomes for the company. Not a hydra agent.

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular

Let's not forget those who join and then don't mute their phone. Yes, I love hearing you eat chips or have a conversation with a coworker.

Or start a wailing feedback loop that brings the call to a halt every 10 seconds

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »
    Fox News is on at work

"Are Trump's racist remarks about the Judge really all that different from when Biden called Obama 'articulate?'"

never change, Fox

makes u think tho

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Desc wrote:

desc

*twitch*
    You get a much better return on mimosas by using fresh squeezed juice and a bottle of prosecco that looks like a chinese knock off of Cliquot

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    bowen wrote: »
    no matter how many times we have this argument I will not agree that email inbox is a good place for file storage

I agree it is a bad place for file storage!

But it is a good point-in-time conversation tool that can point to a file that you may need from 5 years ago that is all of a sudden relevant.

And while I understand outlook throws a rod when shit gets corrupted, do not blame the end user for wanting what should be considered basic functionality at this point; blame Microsoft for not fixing their idiotic mail database.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    24579_3.jpg

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

Oh god

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

Committed to identifying the best outcomes for the company. Not a hydra agent.

Hail.. uh company name.

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Desc wrote:

desc

*twitch*
    You get a much better return on mimosas by using fresh squeezed juice and a pbr or two

:bro:

Grape Ape on
  • Options

It's not best practice but sysadmins have to balance that with reality. People do it. No matter what. It's up to us to find the balance, but all giving a user a 100mb inbox does is direct executive heat your way

• Options

But it is a good point-in-time conversation tool that can point to a file that you may need from 5 years ago that is all of a sudden relevant.

And while I understand outlook throws a rod when shit gets corrupted, do not blame the end user for wanting what should be considered basic functionality at this point; blame Microsoft for not fixing their idiotic mail database.

nah, I dislike the concept of "outlook is a collaboration tool"

but I don't like sharepoint either

folders on network shares are my jam

It should be trivial to go "oh shit I need that pdf from the project about abc-corp from 5 years ago" with properly set up file shares

Maybe 8 or so clicks vs just typing "abc-corp.com" and filtering by date and attachments.

• Options

Oh god

Best thing is, it was a regional all hands. They couldn't figure out which of the 200+ people it was

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    24579_3.jpg

Costco has a bottle that looks almost identical to Veuve and it's $19 or something, and every dang time I pass it I think "holy crap what a deal... wait a minute..."

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Yup Exchange sucks but what else does the same things?

Google is close but still lacks many of the features of Exchange

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

haha i've seen this too. it's awesome.

919UOwT.png
  • Options

It's not best practice but sysadmins have to balance that with reality. People do it. No matter what. It's up to us to find the balance, but all giving a user a 100mb inbox does is direct executive heat your way

that's why executives get 5 gigs instead, duh lud

• Options
    watching people email a 200 meg pdf back and forth really rustles my jimmies

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

It should be trivial to go "oh shit I need that pdf from the project about abc-corp from 5 years ago" with properly set up file shares

Maybe 8 or so clicks vs just typing "abc-corp.com" and filtering by date and attachments.

to some extent I think this is like being a planner (architect?) or whatever, and being like, no people will walk on these right angle sidewalks we've built

and everyone who uses the sidewalk is like, that's dumb, and they just cut the corner and ruin your landscaping

which is a failure on the part of the planner, I think

• Options

Still not fun to argue with execs who refuse to believe that the 120,000 messages in their Inbox could be causing a problem

• Options

People collaborate with people outside the network and company all the time, and expecting everyone to follow company policy 247.3 that clearly states "all files related to project X must go into the proper [company]/[project]/[year] folder and renamed for clarity" is asking a lot from humans.

Email works. It sucks and it is inefficiant but it works.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    So a giant sinkhole just opened up by the mall near work. Mall lost power, there is a gas leak, it's been evacuated

This light rail digging might be destabilizing the area. It isn't the first sinkhole here...

• Options

Costco has a bottle that looks almost identical to Veuve and it's $19 or something, and every dang time I pass it I think "holy crap what a deal... wait a minute..."

I bet it's the Monetto. The orange is identical. I've done the same thing.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Unreal raised the bar in the second season premier. Jeremy continues to be the worst ex boyfriend on tv, even worse than Angry Sad Josh Chan.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I had to troubleshoot an issue with emails back in the early naughts.

things were taking an incredibly long time to send on certain days of the week

certain days, that just so happened to have sales people on staff

sales people were emailing 100 meg PDFs to clients (a client packet that was static)

they could've uploaded that to the website instead, and just provided a link

this is the kind of shit I hate, I will never agree that it's right, sorry, no amount of "yeah but in the real world", because fuck that

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    What are the odds our awful IT department is just spying on my phone and reading all my shit since I had to install this exchange portal????

This discussion has been closed.