As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trying to identify a badge/logo

CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
So I have this badge that my mother gave me years ago and I cannot for the life of me remember what it is. Can anyone help me identify it?

CxogAV9.jpg

It kind of looks like it's from the 21st anniversary celebrations of some authoritarian regime or totally-not-suss society. I can make out gold wings, a red knot and a red horn, but searching for combinations of those or doing a reverse image search haven't turned up anything.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    is there more relevant context? Like, is there any general ownership of memorabilia in your family, or a general geographic area that might be important?

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I don't know why my first guess is something air force related, but there you go.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Hard to tell, but it looks metal, am I correct? If so, any markings on the back? Particularly something stamped in? A maker's mark that could narrow down its origin.

Edit: Some examples of the kind of thing I'm talking about:
    http://www.wartimecollectables.com/hallmarks-of-us-badges---insignia.html

Hevach on
  • Options
    @Hevach It's metal, but there's nothing on the back apart from the pin and little metal grabby thing.

@Iruka Unfortunately not that I know of. Around the time she gave this to me, she was also giving me assorted pins from the US and a handful of really old badges from Malaysia (but they're a different style).

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure the red part is a post horn, which seems to be used a lot in various countries' post office insignia.

The wings suggest Air Force of some sort, but 21 is no help because it mostly just brings up drinking age stuff.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I believe it is a regimental insignia for a light brigade. The horn is a bugle.

Without knowing the country of origin, that's the best I can come up with.

EDIT:
    The wings suggest a relation to an airborne unit.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I can't help, but I suggest asking treasure.net or a metal detecting forum

they can probably figure it out for you!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    flying pretzel delivery service

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I believe it is a regimental insignia for a light brigade. The horn is a bugle.

Without knowing the country of origin, that's the best I can come up with.

EDIT:
    The wings suggest a relation to an airborne unit.

Agreed, but interestingly all the examples I found of light infantry badges use a 3-looped knot, like in Bowen's example, or a crown in lieu of the knot which makes me think this is a non-official piece, either a commemorative or souvenir item.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Horn isn't a bugle, bugles on insignias loop in the middle. That's a powder horn.

What country and/or state are you and your mother from? Could help narrow down where to look?

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    It looks like an insignia for a UK Light Infantry unit. Maybe for the Durham 21st?

• Options
    Thanks for everyone's help so far! It looks like it's probably a light infantry insignia/crest. I'll have to keep digging into those (but at least I know I can probably stick it on my badge jacket and not feel uncomfortably awkward about it :P ).

@Enc Looks like Durham 21st is actually what @bowen found. It's definitely the closest thing that's turned up so far.

@Decomposey She's from Perak state in Malaysia, but it doesn't match any Malaysian crests/insignia I've found.

@Xaquin Good thinking, thanks for the tip.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    This is driving me crazy

normally I can find these things. All the bugles I can find (and yes, that's what it is supposed to be) have three loops and the only ones with wings are not of that variety.

at this point I'd call it a fashion item except normally, fashion items don't call out a specific division (in this case, the 21st).

also, the fact that it's a metal disc with a back fastener makes me think that this is a collar disc which isn't really a fashion item either.

I'm willing to bet that it's a collar disc from a British territory circa the 50s to the 80s

but I'm not willing to bet much

Xaquin on
  • Options
    It's probably going to turn out that someone made a bunch of these just to fuck with people.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    What if the 21 is like a ##ing thing for the button itself. Like what if the other patches are #1-#20

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    That signifies you are a member of the illumina.....*drops carrier*

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    That signifies you are a member of the illumina.....*drops carrier*

It was nice of them to hit the "Post Reply" button after they silenced Azith.
    They really didn't need to, since that's obviously the insignia of CandleJack, you know, the boogeyma

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    The user previously known as azith's message can serve as an example to all
    - The All Seeing Eye.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    This has all been most illuminating.

I look forward to serving you well, O Great Eye.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Here's what I'm thinking:

The general colour scheme and design of the wings suggests a Middle Eastern origin. The bugle looks to appear in mostly British light infantry badges. So, I'm thinking that this is from a local unit in a current or former Commonwealth nation. One that was likely disbanded after WWII. Possibly from Egypt or perhaps the wings are indeed connected to an airborne unit.

If it's a 'local' unit that no longer exists, that could explain why it is so hard to find any matches. I would suggest showing that image on message boards related to UK military history or potentially WWII discussions.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    At this point we need it to go viral, someone's gotta know, and my curiosity is at 100% , I gotta know now!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    That bugle appears to be distinctly british, but it might be a unit specific badge. Like an airborne regiments band or something. I can't really help other than to say these guys might:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

(In my searching I found a post on there indicating that a particular bugle-bearing badge [which I'd have to log in to see] was actually the one the regiment in question's band wore.)

Edit: Example:

271940811280_1.jpg
    21st regiment. 21 at the top, tall wings (vs wide narrow wings you often see), sword in the middle. Have some guy in the unit redraw it and replace the sword with a bugle, and that might be what you get.

Edit2: If you do post on that site, use the words "strung bugle" in your topic title. There's a dude on there who collects them and seems to have some pretty specific knowledge.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Oooh, thanks for the tip.