As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What is this insect? (Forum bug people assemble)

NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
So yeah, what is this?
pogGHBqsj

Terrible image but I I only grabbed it quickly out of curiosity really.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    @Arch
    @BugBoy

looks like a ladybug (larva form)!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    It is.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    And Wolverine took the picture?

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Djeet wrote: »
    And Wolverine took the picture?

Let's go with yes.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Yeah, ladybug larva of some kind for sure.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I got one!
    xnq4qaz1azhx.jpg
    bxncsj7fdjh7.jpg
    bxhaanc1lt7w.jpg

It attacked me at work last night! And I started seeing them more often in the last few months.

• DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    I got one!
    xnq4qaz1azhx.jpg
    bxncsj7fdjh7.jpg
    bxhaanc1lt7w.jpg

It attacked me at work last night! And I started seeing them more often in the last few months.

Some type of mayfly.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    @Arch
    @BugBoy

I was taught that these are super good to have in your garden

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Al_wat wrote: »
    @Arch
    @BugBoy

I recall them being effective at dealing with aphids (the larvae, not the adult lady beetle). And if you happen to have plants that attract them you could end up attracting some more effective aphid predators like green lacewings.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ya the nursery's around here are currently in ladybug season, they are sold like mad around here, nothing gets rid of aphids like ladybugs will

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Oooh! Can I ask about a jumping spider?

Too late I already am

NSFArachnaphobes:
    http://imgur.com/a/m3eHi

Pretty sure it's a lady, but I'm prepared to love her either way. She's huge for for a jumping spider, about the size of a nickel. Hangs out on our building, active during the day, if that is helpful.

I looked up Florida spiders on Spiders.us, but she doesn't seem to fit any of them. Thought she was a grey wall jumper, but no black stripe.

edited June 2016
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »
    @Arch
    @BugBoy

I recall them being effective at dealing with aphids (the larvae, not the adult lady beetle). And if you happen to have plants that attract them you could end up attracting some more effective aphid predators like green lacewings.

Ladybugs are kind of a mixed bag. They are superpredators that eat everything, including each other, during their larval and adult stages. Both of them (not just larvae!) eat a ton of aphids....but they also eat virtually anything else, including things like lacewings which can be more exclusive.

Also some ladybug species (Asian lady beetles) have essentially become pests themselves after being introduced to control other things. They bite and swarm in large numbers in both homes and on crops, and they have a defense mechanism to exude really smelly chemicals that actually will impact the flavor and desirability of things like wine and hops as they get mixed in during processing.

Anyway that other bug is a mayfly of some kind, and I have no clue on that spider.

Arch on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Looks like it might be a tan jumping spider (Platycryptus undatus)? Could also be a brown one.

The shape makes me think brown jumping spider, but the markings looks more like the tan (the swirls/circles on it).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Thanks guys! I was kinda wondering because it basically metal as hell, black and red with spikes and stuff.

The fact it becomes a Ladybug is pretty funny.

Norgoth wrote: »
    Thanks guys! I was kinda wondering because it basically metal as hell, black and red with spikes and stuff.

Ladybugs are actually metal as hell. The larvae hunt in packs, usually, and if they can't find food they turn on each other and resort to cannibalism.

Adult ladybugs can bit humans hard enough to break skin, and in a choice test prefered human blood over water, even though they couldn't digest it and all died of dehydration.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Ladybugs are wannabe vampires?

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Somebody get them a can of clammato.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Norgoth wrote: »

Ladybugs are actually metal as hell. The larvae hunt in packs, usually, and if they can't find food they turn on each other and resort to cannibalism.

Adult ladybugs can bit humans hard enough to break skin, and in a choice test prefered human blood over water, even though they couldn't digest it and all died of dehydration.

One year when I was in college we had a huge number of ladybugs in the area for some reason. They were just all over.
    I got bitten by one and my friends laughed at me.

Well who's laughing now?

Them still probably.

steam_sig.png