As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[E3] is locked down for another year!

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I have been enjoying the new King's Quest game. Each episode is short and since I wait and grab them when they go on sale I don't feel ripped off.

The old Sierra games were terrible in design quite frequently. "What, you mean that pie that I got at the VERY beginning of the game that seemed inconsequential is really the most important item to get past a bear that doesn't appear until near the very end!"

If you used the pie any time between that, the game was impossible to finish.

you also get a prompt at one point where your character is hungry and you need to decide on whether to eat

the pie
    part of chicken leg
    the entire chicken leg

if you eat the pie you're fucked, you'll need it later to fight a yeti
    if you eat the entire chicken leg you're fucked, you'll need part of a chicken leg later to escape from some harpies

when you're in the bird's nest ( a timed sequence which you can't repeat or return to) make sure to grab the gold pixel beside you, before you are rescued from the harpy nest
    it is a golden locket that must be used to make a character trust you in the final act of the game, if you do not have it you will be trapped in an endless maze

Don't forget to throw the boot at the cat to save the mouse or that mouse won't save you

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    In LucasArts adventure games, poking around the environment and using items on things and people resulted in jokes

In a Sierra adventure game, poking around the environment resulted in death, and using items on things and people resulted in game states where it was impossible to finish the game

One thing to remember - Sierra had a nice side business running a pay-to-call hint hotline for games. One of my first ventures on the Internet (AOL dial-up days) was trying to find guides for Sierra games because my parents grounded me for calling that hotline.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    In LucasArts adventure games, poking around the environment and using items on things and people resulted in jokes

In a Sierra adventure game, poking around the environment resulted in death, and using items on things and people resulted in game states where it was impossible to finish the game

One thing to remember - Sierra had a nice side business running a pay-to-call hint hotline for games. One of my first ventures on the Internet (AOL dial-up days) was trying to find guides for Sierra games because my parents grounded me for calling that hotline.

Ugh, even Sierra games had microtransactions.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Quest for Glory 2 is probably my favorite game of all time. I don't recal anything where you could be screwed for doing the wrong thing with a thing several hours previous. Also it had combat so you naturally knew death was gonna happen a lot and saved accordingly.

august on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    Quest for Glory 2 is probably my favorite game of all time.

Did you ever play the fan made VGA Re-make? I was actually really well done! It even imported from official 1 and into official 3 with no difficulty.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

edited June 2016
    august wrote: »
    Quest for Glory 2 is probably my favorite game of all time.

Did you ever play the fan made VGA Re-make? I was actually really well done! It even imported from official 1 and into official 3 with no difficulty.

I keep meaning to but haven't found the time for it. I think part of it is that whenever I install it I get confused about what the proper aspect ratio should be. There's some kinda aspect ratio toggle but I think the actually produced the game widescreen by cutting art off the top and bottom and recreated the art off of that base? At any rate it's amazing it got made

august on
  • MarsMars Registered User regular
    I replayed the QfG series last year. Still holds up really well, the first two are a little grindier than I'd like, but nothing too bad. I still adore 4's aesthetic.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    the QFG games seemed so cool, but for the life of me I had no idea how to make that combat work

also doesn't helped that I started with QFG3:

bTfEsl2.jpg

like I think I could get past the first random encounter fight with some dumb luck

and then you'd run into a second or third random encounter and that would be a bit harder and I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing

Brolo on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    QfG games are probably the best things they did back then

Like, my ire is mostly directed at King's Quest and to a lesser extent Police Quest

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Supermassive Games commented that while they are working on an unrevealed project, it is not Until Dawn 2.

Man

I am still interested in whatever they're doing but I reeeeally want Until Dawn 2

I think I almost prefer for studios to do something between franchise titles. A little time away from a series and experience with something else can do good things for keeping things fresh.
    This is totally fair and a good stance to have

but also I really want Until Dawn 2

Like, I totally think ChAIR should make whatever the hell they want and stretch their creative legs.

But really, I am SUPER not interested in any project of theirs that isn't Shadow Complex 2.

• MarsMars Registered User regular
    Also, I could listen to John Rhys-Davies make bad puns for the rest of my life

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    What if Shadow Complex 2 is an adventure game about some normal people who tumble onto a secret military installation, where you swap between character points of view and make decisions that ultimately impact who survives the conflict with the Restoration ?

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Supermassive Games commented that while they are working on an unrevealed project, it is not Until Dawn 2.

Man

I am still interested in whatever they're doing but I reeeeally want Until Dawn 2

I think I almost prefer for studios to do something between franchise titles. A little time away from a series and experience with something else can do good things for keeping things fresh.

Like, I totally think ChAIR should make whatever the hell they want and stretch their creative legs.

But really, I am SUPER not interested in any project of theirs that isn't Shadow Complex 2.

does chair still exist in any form that is not just a studio making infinity blade games

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Man

does chair still exist in any form that is not just a studio making infinity blade games

They are working on one of the 8 game-related projects with JJ Abrams' name on them that will never come out

6F32U1X.png
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I heard Chair had a great idea for Shadow Complex 2, but Epic is just sitting on it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

QfG games are probably the best things they did back then

Like, my ire is mostly directed at King's Quest and to a lesser extent Police Quest

To be fair, a lot of those games were inventing their genres as they went along. Sierra took the classic videogame "You fail, you die" paradigm to heart while LucasArts leaned more toward rewarding failure with a joke.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I heard Chair had a great idea for Shadow Complex 2, but Epic is just sitting on it.

the flame of my hatred for you will fuel the very first nuclear fission event

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular

Good.

Good.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

It was probably going to be the best game ever made.
    pun

Ceno on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I want a Shadow Complex 2 so badly. The story was dumb but the game was so very fun. I've been playing it again on the PS4.

In fact I just did a 4% run last week for the trophy, which was an interesting experience.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I want a Shadow Complex 2 so badly. The story was dumb but the game was so very fun. I've been playing it again on the PS4.

In fact I just did a 4% run last week for the trophy, which was an interesting experience.

I though Mark of the Ninja was a really good Shadow Complex substitute.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I actually beat Mark of the Ninja on Steam. It was fun, but it was no Shadow Complex.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    So, uh Vow for Forumer Council, I guess?

UnbreakableVow has beliefs

Burr has none

Say what you want about the tenets of Vowpinions, at least it's an ethos.

I loved everything about Far Cry: Blood Dragon except any of the parts where words were involved.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I just played a demo of Eve Valkyrie on PSVR

VR is really fucking cool you guys

Holy shit

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I just played a demo of Eve Valkyrie on PSVR

VR is really fucking cool you guys

Holy shit

it is!

it's just a shame that eve valkyrie doesn't have any additional content to it

it would be great to see it extended out into a feature-length campaign

The sound wasn't quite as immersive as it needed to be because there was a long line and I didn't wanna hold it up getting my headphones just right but even with how loud the Best Buy was and how I could hear the demo guy giving the people in line PR speak, it was a pretty transformative experience

I imagine sitting at home where it's quiet it'll be pretty damn perfect

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    How was the headset? Comfortable and all that? PSVR is where I'm gonna hang my virtual hat and I've got pretty absurd hopes for it even with other VR releases tempering my expectations

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    That was all specifically King's Quest 5. I think the only other of the Quest games that had a non winnable state was Space Quest 2 if you didn't send away for the whistle.
    There is an infamous example from KQII, in which there is a bridge that you can only cross 7 times. You are warned that it looks unsafe but have no idea how many times you can cross it. You MUST cross the bridge 7 times in order to get what you need. If you cross once more, it will collapse and kill you. Which means that taking a single extra trip across for any reason will render you unable to get across when you need to, making the game unwinnable.

I believe all of the KQ games have potential unwinnable states, save perhaps KQ7.

Edit: Btw I recall the fan remakes for KQ 1-3 being pretty solid and letting you cut all that bullshit out.

kaceyp on
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    We had pirated versions of all those Sierra games when I was little.

Did that stop my Mom from calling the tip line? No.

She'd just start making up stories that her child was bed ridden and that these games were the only things that could bring a small amount of joy to his (mine?) life, until she started crying. It didn't take too long for he poor sap on the other end to tell her what to do next in Police Quest, or whatever.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    In theory, I like the idea of an adventure game that has unwinnable states, like a virtual adaptation of a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book. But in practice that leads to a lot of time spent retreading the same content over and over and that just isn't fun. For me, at least. I'm sure there are people who don't mind, in which case, I can understand liking those fail states.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

Man

They finished Infinity Blade years ago. They're making a came called Spyjinx now.

While promoting the Remaster of the first Shadow Complex on Giant Bomb, they flatout said they had a prototyped version of the sequel lying around.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    spyjinx is a good name

Vann Diras wrote: »
    How was the headset? Comfortable and all that? PSVR is where I'm gonna hang my virtual hat and I've got pretty absurd hopes for it even with other VR releases tempering my expectations

I thought the headset was super comfortable. You definitely notice the weight but it's not heavy, if anything the fact that I was playing a pilot game made it feel that much cooler

The guy in front of me was playing Battlezone and that seemed really slick too

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    I guess the real question is, as a dude with pretty big glasses

Am I fucked

Do I gotta get contacts again

I've never worn glasses so I have no clue

Dude in front of me had glasses and seemed to be fine?

I didn't take notice of their size

Where we're going you won't need eyes to see.

edited June 2016
    Oh! Actually

So the way the headset works, there's a button on the back of the headset that you press and then pull the headset to the desired length so that it can fit over your head

Once you do that, the actual eyepieces has its own adjustable slide back and forth...I imagine even with glasses you'd be covered

UnbreakableVow on
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I can't speak to PSVR, but my Oculus is very difficult to use with glasses. That is probably at least partially caused by the fact that I have a large head (and larger glasses as a result as well).

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys