As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game of Thrones] OPEN SPOILERS through most recent Season 7 episode. Valar Morghulis.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I could see that too

That whole quote is weird it implies that
    all these allies she's been building over the books will fail her

idk. Book spoiler:
    Here's the full quote:
    The glass candles are burning. Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal.

The pale mare is the plague, not a person. Kraken and dark flame are whichever Greyjoy is going towards her in the books, Victarion of whomever, and his red priest. I think it should be pretty clear that they're not trustworthy. The lion is Tyrion, who I don't think has had any meaningful interaction with her in the books yet (or the show). I think he would be a fairly loyal ally as long as she doesn't fuck him... but at the same time, he does have his own ulterior motives and he's smart enough and brash enough that he can screw her over if he feels it's in his best interest. The sun's son is Quentyn, who's already dead. The griffin and the mummer's dragon are presumably Conington and (f?)Aegon (only question I have is why they aren't listed together in the prophecy). Perfumed seneshal could be any of a number of characters or one who hasn't shown up yet.

So she's only met one, and he's already dead. I think the prophecy basically comes down to trusting the people who have been loyal to her all along, not to let herself be taken advantage of by the Johnny-come-latelies.

• Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    I could see that too

idk. Book spoiler:
    Here's the full quote:
    The glass candles are burning. Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal.

The pale mare is the plague, not a person. Kraken and dark flame are whichever Greyjoy is going towards her in the books, Victarion of whomever, and his red priest. I think it should be pretty clear that they're not trustworthy. The lion is Tyrion, who I don't think has had any meaningful interaction with her in the books yet (or the show). I think he would be a fairly loyal ally as long as she doesn't fuck him... but at the same time, he does have his own ulterior motives and he's smart enough and brash enough that he can screw her over if he feels it's in his best interest. The sun's son is Quentyn, who's already dead. The griffin and the mummer's dragon are presumably Conington and (f?)Aegon (only question I have is why they aren't listed together in the prophecy). Perfumed seneshal could be any of a number of characters or one who hasn't shown up yet.

So she's only met one, and he's already dead. I think the prophecy basically comes down to trusting the people who have been loyal to her all along, not to let herself be taken advantage of by the Johnny-come-latelies.
    Seneshal -- Had to look this one up

> A seneschal (/ˈsɛnəʃəl/) was an administrative officer in the houses of important nobles in the Middle Ages and early Modern period, equivalent to a steward or stolnik.[1] In a medieval noble household a seneschal was in charge of domestic arrangements and the administration of servants.[2] In the French administrative system of the Middle Ages, the seneschal (French: sénéchal) was also a royal officer in charge of justice and control of the administration in southern provinces, equivalent to the northern French bailiff (bailli).

Sounds like it could be a house maester.

"Perfumed" though. That made me think of Varys -- he is described as perfumed in the book, is he not?

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Late reaction to latest episode:
    Tommen is now the lamest king. No more trials by combat are you fucking kidding me? You know how much your mother enjoys trials by combat Tommen, but you did it anyway. Some son you are. Where's Joffrey when you need him?

New prediction that doesn't involve Mecha-Mountain smashing fools in fair and legitimate trial combat: Cercei will burn down the Septum, things will go sideways and she'll lose her last son. But he won't die, he'll see her for the monster she is and disown her.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Melkster wrote: »
    I could see that too

idk. Book spoiler:
    Here's the full quote:

> A seneschal (/ˈsɛnəʃəl/) was an administrative officer in the houses of important nobles in the Middle Ages and early Modern period, equivalent to a steward or stolnik.[1] In a medieval noble household a seneschal was in charge of domestic arrangements and the administration of servants.[2] In the French administrative system of the Middle Ages, the seneschal (French: sénéchal) was also a royal officer in charge of justice and control of the administration in southern provinces, equivalent to the northern French bailiff (bailli).

"Perfumed" though. That made me think of Varys -- he is described as perfumed in the book, is he not?

Re: Seneschal...
    There are at least two candidates already in the books.

Her majordomo or whatever in Meereen, who was noted for wearing strong scent, and then the name of the ship Tyrion and Jorah were on translated roughly to Stinky Steward, so it could have been anyone on that ship.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    Tommen is now the lamest king. No more trials by combat are you fucking kidding me? You know how much your mother enjoys trials by combat Tommen, but you did it anyway. Some son you are. Where's Joffrey when you need him?

New prediction that doesn't involve Mecha-Mountain smashing fools in fair and legitimate trial combat: Cercei will burn down the Septum, things will go sideways and she'll lose her last son. But he won't die, he'll see her for the monster she is and disown her.

My prediction
    Cersei goes on trial and is executed. Qyburn obtains her body, brings her back.

Cersei Stoneheart burns Kings Landing to nothing, starting with the Great Sept of Bailor.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

My prediction

Cersei Stoneheart burns Kings Landing to nothing, starting with the Great Sept of Bailor.

I dont know if its just coincidence but

(Social media potential spoilers)
    Wasnt it Lena Heady who tweeted a picture of a rock shaped like a heart and said "my stone heart"?

Edit: Yessss.

htl97xz250zx.jpg

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    I would not describe Vary as an actor though....

He's literally a former actor. He used to travel with a group of them, before his castration, and he's put those skills to good use in his political career.

• Options

My prediction

Wasnt it Lena Heady who tweeted a picture of a rock shaped like a heart and said "my stone heart"?

htl97xz250zx.jpg

I knew it!
    There've been so many references to Catelyn, it's clear the writers are teasing Lady Stoneheart. Then in the most recent episode we had yet another reference to Catelyn, followed immediately by Jaime talking about how Cersei would burn cities for love of her children. I'm certain the two have to be connected, and Qyburn is perfect to put it in motion.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Book/show
    You know, it's quite feasible that the show writers can still jam in Stoneheart with no resemblance whatsoever to how she's introduced in the books. Doesn't even need to be connected to the BoB.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

My prediction

htl97xz250zx.jpg

That was a thousand years ago and the perfect time to do it and they didn't do it

Im not holding out hope

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    So It Goes wrote: »

My prediction

htl97xz250zx.jpg

That was a thousand years ago and the perfect time to do it and they didn't do it

Im not holding out hope

Not for Lady Stoneheart, but for the prediction above my post.

Edit: I can see people don't read quote trees!

jungleroomx on
  • Options

My prediction

htl97xz250zx.jpg

Im not holding out hope

Wait, when would have been the right time for
    Cersei Stoneheart? I mean, "Ser Robert Strong" only showed up at the end of season 5 and he's hardly the sort of specimen that would encourage Cersei to let Qyburn bring her back if the Faith execute her. We'd need time to pass to make it convincing that Qyburn has perfected his work.

• Options

My prediction

htl97xz250zx.jpg

Im not holding out hope

Cersei Stoneheart? I mean, "Ser Robert Strong" only showed up at the end of season 5 and he's hardly the sort of specimen that would encourage Cersei to let Qyburn bring her back if the Faith execute her. We'd need time to pass to make it convincing that Qyburn has perfected his work.

No I meant for the original, not the new idea.

• Options

My prediction

htl97xz250zx.jpg

Im not holding out hope

No I meant for the original, not the new idea.

Oh, that! No, we don't think it's happening that way. Not at this stage.

• Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    Prophecies and predictions:
    Cersei has been obsessing over the prophecy her whole life and is evaluating the people around her according to it. Right now Margaery is the most likely candidate for the one that will replace her.
    Cersei will kill Margary, either losing Tommen in the process(through death or him realizing what she is) or bringing Tommen back under her control.
    The younger and more beautiful one that will replace her is not Margaery but Sansa.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Melkster wrote: »
    I could see that too

idk. Book spoiler:
    Here's the full quote:

Re: Seneschal...
    There are at least two candidates already in the books.

Her majordomo or whatever in Meereen, who was noted for wearing strong scent, and then the name of the ship Tyrion and Jorah were on translated roughly to Stinky Steward, so it could have been anyone on that ship.
    Seneschal
    the maesters have a seneschal, and some Tyrell dude also has that title.

Varys is a strong possibility though. he has a similar position, plus the perfume.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Librarian wrote: »
    Cersei has been obsessing over the prophecy her whole life and is evaluating the people around her according to it. Right now Margaery is the most likely candidate for the one that will replace her.
    Cersei will kill Margary, either losing Tommen in the process(through death or him realizing what she is) or bringing Tommen back under her control.
    The younger and more beautiful one that will replace her is not Margaery but Sansa.

Part of said prophecy is also that
    She'll outlive all her children.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

Tommen's gonna grillin' tonight

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

Technically
    it doesn't say for how long, does it?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Stephen King swung by the Kiva Theater in Albuquerque on Thursday night to sit down with Game of Thrones mastermind George R.R. Martin. King was in town as part of his book tour for the third and final installment of a trilogy he started writing in 2014, which is just about the perfect set of circumstances for a meeting with Martin, because Martin has rather famously, uh… let’s say “not” written three books in the last two years.

There’s no video of the appearance (although there is a picture from Stephen King’s Facebook page, showing the two authors sitting together surrounded by grapes and potato chips), but if this first-hand account of the sit down is to be believed, none of that was lost on Martin.

"Stephen King told George there was time for 1 more question. George asked him “How the f*ck do you write so fast? I have a good six months and crank out 3 chapters, meanwhile you wrote 3 books in that time!”

Stephen answered that he writes almost every day and demands 6 pages a day from him self. George was amazed by that.

He replied “You always get six pages? You never get constipated? You never get up and go get the mail, and think ‘Maybe I don’t have any talent and should have been a plumber?'”

George R.R. Martin seems like a very good dude who is going through some really intense writer’s block and is maybe a little overwhelmed by what his idea for a series of books about dragonmurder has turned into, culturally, so heaping on at this point with entitled rants about when he should release (or should have released) his next book feels unnecessary. But if someone could figure out a way to somehow put Martin and King in some sort of transmogrification vessel that extracts the best parts of each of them and spits out one bespectacled man in a sea captain’s hat who writes 500 pages a year, I mean…

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    If a GRRKing existed I would have to buy an extra room for all the books

• Options

I think the thing people tend to miss is that
    High Valyrian is gender neutral. So yes, I think Sansa will end up being the "younger and more beautiful" Queen who replaces Cersei, but I also think Arya will be the Valonqar.

Granted I have no idea how that will come about in the books - it seems slightly more likely in the show but of course that part of the prophecy doesn't exist. Still, the gender neutrality of High Valyrian has been labored just enough to make me think it's important to the resolution of the prophecy.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    The problem with the concept of GRRKing is that we don't yet know if such a being could end his books in a way that wasn't shit.

• Options
    The problem with the concept of GRRKing is that we don't yet know if such a being could end his books in a way that wasn't shit.

Despite the current meme, theres a ton of King books with satisfying endings. Sometimes I wonder if people see the King movies and make the books guilty by association.

Id wager the amount of books by King that end well outnumber the ones that dont.

What King has trouble with is the monster reveals and the dialogue.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    re: prophecies

My guess is that the gender neutrality of the language comes up for the Prince That Was Promised prophecy, but not Cersei's

• Options
    Inkstain82 wrote: »

My guess is that the gender neutrality of the language comes up for the Prince That Was Promised prophecy, but not Cersei's

I'm certain if it crops up for one it'll crop up for the other, simply because mirroring happens so frequently in the books. Things repeat all the time.

• Options
    Is it Sunday yet??

Argh!

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I'm certain if it crops up for one it'll crop up for the other, simply because mirroring happens so frequently in the books. Things repeat all the time.

Errr....how?
    I don't see any candidates for a little sister for Cersei. More to the point, their is an assumption that Valaryian is gender neutral but I don't recall them ever even pausing to say it was a little brother. That assumption seems to be based on this quote:

"Dragons are neither male nor female, Barth saw the truth of that, but now one and now the other, as changeable as flame. The language misled us all for a thousand years."

Which could just as easily mean that the royal titles in Valaryian are based on dragons which do not have a gender, rather than the whole language being genderless.

Hmm...actually the Azor Azhai myth is supposed to be ancient. I'm not even sure we're talking about Valaryian here though if not the draconic connection doesn't make much sense.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Closest thing to GRRKing we've got would be Erikson (although his production has dropped off once the main stores finished) or (much more significantly) Sanderson. Neither one has a problem with endings, at least.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »

Closest thing to GRRKing we've got would be Erikson (although his production has dropped off once the main stores finished) or (much more significantly) Sanderson. Neither one has a problem with endings, at least.

James S. A. Corey. Has written a novel and a novella for like the last five years.

While half of him wrote another novel most years.

Probably cheating though because Daniel Abraham was(/is?) GRRM's assistant so the similarity isn't random.

• Options

Errr....how?
    I don't see any candidates for a little sister for Cersei. More to the point, their is an assumption that Valaryian is gender neutral but I don't recall them ever even pausing to say it was a little brother. That assumption seems to be based on this quote:

"Dragons are neither male nor female, Barth saw the truth of that, but now one and now the other, as changeable as flame. The language misled us all for a thousand years."

Which could just as easily mean that the royal titles in Valaryian are based on dragons which do not have a gender, rather than the whole language being genderless.

Hmm...actually the Azor Azhai myth is supposed to be ancient. I'm not even sure we're talking about Valaryian here though if not the draconic connection doesn't make much sense.

I explained it in the post before.
    The prophecy talks about "a younger and more beautiful Queen" and then "the little brother" (possibly sister.) If Sansa is the younger and more beautiful Queen, it's also possible that Arya is the little sister.

The prophecy never says that the "little brother" is Cersei's. Maggi specifically says "the" not "your".

• Options

Errr....how?

I explained it in the post before.
    The prophecy talks about "a younger and more beautiful Queen" and then "the little brother" (possibly sister.) If Sansa is the younger and more beautiful Queen, it's also possible that Arya is the little sister.

The prophecy never says that the "little brother" is Cersei's. Maggi specifically says "the" not "your".

Ah, sorry. I looked back a bit but apparently not far enough.
    That doesn't really address my comments on Valaryian's relationship with gendered nouns mostly being supposition. Time line wise the Prince who was Promised is really unclear where it's from. Possibly Ashai, possible Valaryia, possibly way older than that. Entirely possible that Aemon wasn't even talking about the Valyrian language.

I think the "the" versus "your" thing is exactly the sort of language game that Maester Aemon was warning about. It is entirely possible that "valonquar" implies the ownership of the relationship. I don't think we can tell right now.

But, and this depends entirely on the nature of prophecy, I will point out that Maggy says "his" in Westerosi. You can argue this is the English "his" of an unknown gender but Maggy is not lacking in details elsewhere in this prophecy. I suppose the other counter to this is she is in some prophetic fervor and not actually in control of what she says. I don't think this is backed by the chapter but it's possible.

I still think the Jamie theory is the most likely, if only because Arya doesn't really need to go murder Cersei. By the time BookArya gets over there Cersei is gonna be pretty well fucked anyways.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Read an interesting fan theory that the last week spoiler show
    Waif actually killed Arya. She hung her own face because becoming a faceless man entails becoming no one, killing your own identity, and you can hang your own face. When she left, she was in full Arya mode, having studied her the entire time they were training together. Jaqen says, "Now a girl truly is no one," and kind of smirks, perhaps supporting the theory that it's now the waif who will be Arya going home.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Waif actually killed Arya. She hung her own face because becoming a faceless man entails becoming no one, killing your own identity, and you can hang your own face. When she left, she was in full Arya mode, having studied her the entire time they were training together. Jaqen says, "Now a girl truly is no one," and kind of smirks, perhaps supporting the theory that it's now the waif who will be Arya going home.
    While possible I suppose, I'm not sure what the point would be.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    also there would be blood in the streets, specifically RR's, his wife would kill him.

Further, it actually doesn't matter who killed who in the short term, its a bit of a schrodingers assassin.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

James S. A. Corey. Has written a novel and a novella for like the last five years.

While half of him wrote another novel most years.

Probably cheating though because Daniel Abraham was(/is?) GRRM's assistant so the similarity isn't random.

Sanderson pumps out like 4 a year. And they're almost all really good. And some are crazy long

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    also there would be blood in the streets, specifically RR's, his wife would kill him.

Further, it actually doesn't matter who killed who in the short term, its a bit of a schrodingers assassin.

The backlash would also be way more than a payoff would be worth

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Arya dying would make sense. After bumbling around for years she gets stabbed in the gut and runs out of people to bail her out. Although I'm not sure how the Waif becoming new and improved Arya would work thematically.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    There's still also Daenerys.
    The thing about the Azor Azhai myths is that there are lots of different myths around the world about the person who saved the world from the last endless winter, which all vary so greatly that I'm thinking it was never just one person but a lot of different people all working in their own way. Hence why there are lots of people running around everywhere; they're all unknowingly going into position for their various roles. There was this one guy with a magic sword. There was the Watch armed with obsidian and allied with the Children of the Forest. Some other people wove and sang a magic song. Other heroes ran around doing other things. Etc., etc. The great thing about vague prophesies is that you can find a lot of people to fill them and get backups if someone fails.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular

see..
    I just don't it meshes well with how sexy jesus handles the situation.
    him propping himself up against needle only makes sense if it's really arya.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
This discussion has been closed.