As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game of Thrones] OPEN SPOILERS through most recent Season 7 episode. Valar Morghulis.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Everyone on TV is pretty. Even Brienne.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I don't think Nikolaj's reaction when Gwendoline Christie stood up in the bath scene was scripted.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

I don't think Nikolaj's reaction when Gwendoline Christie stood up in the bath scene was scripted.

Nah she is pretty IRL too. And she doesnt really care about showing her assets in her modeling career either. Edit: A friend told me. :)

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Funny thing that, I never got the impression Book Brienne was all that ugly, more that the reactions of other "knights" were because she wasn't in her "proper" place. Of course there is an event that takes place that would make book Brienne a lil less attractive that didn't happen to tv Brienne, right?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Nah, book Brienne is made out to be ugly for sure. There's that other stuff about gender role expectations and what not too, but she's written to be a well over 6 foot tall woman who just isn't attractive.
    Brienne's ugly, and pighead stubborn. But she lacks the wits to be a liar, and she is loyal past the point of sense.

- Jamie
    The queen remembered the Maid of Tarth, a huge, ugly, shambling thing who dressed in man's mail.

- Cersei

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Nah, book Brienne is made out to be ugly for sure. There's that other stuff about gender role expectations and what not too, but she's written to be a well over 6 foot tall woman who just isn't attractive.
    Brienne's ugly, and pighead stubborn. But she lacks the wits to be a liar, and she is loyal past the point of sense.

- Jamie
    The queen remembered the Maid of Tarth, a huge, ugly, shambling thing who dressed in man's mail.

- Cersei

OTOH, they would think that given who they are, whether it is true or not.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

- Jamie

- Cersei

unreliable sources there aren't they

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    The hair beneath the visor was a squirrel's nest of dirty straw, and her face ... Brienne's eyes were large and very blue, a young girl's eyes, trusting and guileless, but the rest... her features were broad and coarse, her teeth prominent and crooked, her mouth too wide, her lips so plump they seemed swollen. A thousand freckles speckled her cheeks and brow, and her nose had been broken more than once.

So no, she wasn't pretty, but noble knights don't need to be.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Of course everyone on TV is pretty.

Nobody wants to look at a bunch of normies.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

- Jamie

- Cersei

unreliable sources there aren't they

True but even Cat was hardly complimentary. Culture probably exaggerates things though.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Catelyn's inner monologue following her observation of Brienne is so shallow I literally laughed out loud the first time I read it.
    Pity filled Catelyn's heart. Is there any creature on earth as unfortunate as an ugly woman?

• Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    Catelyn's inner monologue following her observation of Brienne is so shallow I literally laughed out loud the first time I read it.
    Pity filled Catelyn's heart. Is there any creature on earth as unfortunate as an ugly woman?

Ok yeah that's actually worse then I recall.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Fuck Cat. Seriously.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Mayabird wrote: »
    The hair beneath the visor was a squirrel's nest of dirty straw, and her face ... Brienne's eyes were large and very blue, a young girl's eyes, trusting and guileless, but the rest... her features were broad and coarse, her teeth prominent and crooked, her mouth too wide, her lips so plump they seemed swollen. A thousand freckles speckled her cheeks and brow, and her nose had been broken more than once.

Huh, when I read that it sounded like she looked fine - freckles, nice eyes, full lips, short blond hair... that could be someone pretty. But I don't think that is what the characters whose narratives we are following want to see because she isn't conforming to their standards for the female role in their culture.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Huh, when I read that it sounded like she looked fine - freckles, nice eyes, full lips, short blond hair... that could be someone pretty. But I don't think that is what the characters whose narratives we are following want to see because she isn't conforming to their standards for the female role in their culture.

You missed broad and coarse features, big crooked teeth, too wide mouth, and the lips thing doesn't mean full lips, it means she looks like her lips have been hit with a bee sting even when she's perfectly fine.

It's okay that the character was written to be ugly. There's nothing wrong with ugly people. She's a badass character.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Just finished the show with my girlfriend and she was correct about Jon Snow making bad hair decisions and then bad battle decisions. And after being legit directly informed by Sansa about what he needed to do!

I'm hoping the way this winds down is Sansa ruling a worldwide republic, she's cool.

Edit: Also I thought it was pretty funny how she was like "get ready for a ton of the goddamn sand snakes" and then they were in like ~15-20 minutes total of a single season. I guess it's much more frustrating to cut to them when you get episodes so far apart.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    When I was in high school I remember reading a YA fantasy adventure where one of the characters was defined by being physically ugly, but a fantastic person. At the end the magical goddess gave him silver eyes and beautiful, elfin features. He took a look in the mirror and was like, fuck this, make me ugly again... I'll keep the silver eyes, tho.

It's hard for TV to do justice to stories like that, because all of the actors will be of roughly equal prettiness. Instead of hiring a less attractive actor, they'd just spring for SFX.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    there's a few times when the show has some (generally minor) character refer to Brienne as strange or mannish, and it's always like, I see what you're doing with the character here but did you actually look at her beforehand?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    there's a few times when the show has some (generally minor) character refer to Brienne as strange or mannish, and it's always like, I see what you're doing with the character here but did you actually look at her beforehand?

Well yeah it's a tough role to fill. Actors generally aren't known for being less the beautiful with some rare exceptions and the body type to properly portray Brienne is also preety damn rare. It's a similar deal with Peter Dinklidge as Tyrion. Take the close enough actor who can do the job well.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »
    I hope they have an actual reason for bringing Lyanna Mormont back that goes beyond "Hey guys, remember that character you liked? We shoe-horned her back in because you liked her so much."

With just 13 episodes left to wrap up the series, I'd appreciate it if they kept the pandering to a minimum next season.

Is there any reason why she wouldn't be back?

There's 13 hours of show remaining. It's not like there's not ample room to work her into the story. That's like six movies.

Also, this show being what it is, we can pretty safely assume that the cast will see some... reduction over those 13 hours.

The fewer characters and arcs to deal with, the more time the remaining ones can get.

Just, y'know, to state the obvious. It's a giant ensemble cast, but obviously they aren't all going to make it to the end of episode 13.

Obviously it shouldn't need saying that I hope we get satisfying conclusions to as many of those arcs as possible. Not necessarily good endings (this is GoT after all), but satisfying all the same. Closure, if you will.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Just finished the show with my girlfriend and she was correct about Jon Snow making bad hair decisions and then bad battle decisions. And after being legit directly informed by Sansa about what he needed to do!

I'm hoping the way this winds down is Sansa ruling a worldwide republic, she's cool.

Edit: Also I thought it was pretty funny how she was like "get ready for a ton of the goddamn sand snakes" and then they were in like ~15-20 minutes total of a single season. I guess it's much more frustrating to cut to them when you get episodes so far apart.

Don't worry, the Sand Snake in Iron Fist is likely to get plenty of screen time.
    She's Colleen Wing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqc5GEwO7OQ

• Options

You missed broad and coarse features, big crooked teeth, too wide mouth, and the lips thing doesn't mean full lips, it means she looks like her lips have been hit with a bee sting even when she's perfectly fine.

It's okay that the character was written to be ugly. There's nothing wrong with ugly people. She's a badass character.

I didn't miss it. It just strikes me as a description that could easily be some people I played sports like floor/street hockey, soccer, volley ball, basketball, and what not with growing up. Sure, they weren't models trying to use their attractive first glance features to sell a product line, but they weren't "ugly" either.

I'm ok with the character being written as considerably less attractive than those characters renowned specifically for being attractive but I do find it fascinating with how Brienne is seen as extra repulsive for her warrior position in her society where power structures are delineated along specific roles for men and women and how this is contrasted against neighbouring societies where this is not the case. Tormund's infatuation in this context alone was delightful but clearly for more reasons than just that and one of the few things in which I regard the show better than the book, but IIRC, in the book Jamie seemed to be taken to a degree with her as well, we don't seem to be getting that arc and others in the show :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Theres a couple great renditions of Brinne on the Wiki of Ice and Fire

also shes like 19 during the events of the books.
    Brienne_by_quickreaver.jpg

not necessarily ugly, but given the age and how ladies were placed in society, Brienne was a monster to most

EDIT: also there are season 7 spoilers hanging around fansites. seems too far fetched to be true, but funny to read into

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    That is a wonderful illustration, I was wondering if I should post it myself.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I mean, that picture you linked is of an ugly woman. I don't get what the big deal is with her being ugly. The world is filled with ugly people who are badasses.

• Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    They should have given show-Brienne the oversized teeth she is described to have in the books. Ugly teeth tends to be very noticeable on screen with the big focus on the face of the person who is talking.

• Options
    I mean, that picture you linked is of an ugly woman. I don't get what the big deal is with her being ugly. The world is filled with ugly people who are badasses.

But that picture isn't ugly? *shrugs*

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Here's the bottom line: I prefer hotties in my tv shows. I accept this adaptation they've chosen instead of completely literal representation of each characters looks.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Battle of the Blackwater "Come on little man you can do it. Nooo that's bullshit! Stop killing the characters I care about!"

Queue a half an hour of being asked if he really dies. I just stared blankly.

Working through season 3

Dracaris: She is literally dancing in her seat.

Tells me she isn't sure. She wants Dany to take the throne but a lot of people she likes may die. Oh dear.

• Options
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Battle of the Blackwater "Come on little man you can do it. Nooo that's bullshit! Stop killing the characters I care about!"

Working through season 3

Tells me she isn't sure. She wants Dany to take the throne but a lot of people she likes may die. Oh dear.

You know one thing that's a bit worrying this close to the end is a lot of the 'safe' characters could be losing their protection as plot lines are tied up.

• Options
    "I feel all bad for watching his torture."

I can see the cliff. It will be a long fall for her.

• Options
    S3E9 later today

• Options
    Oh God the title screen on the DVD is Castamere. She has no idea what is happening. I actually feel bad about this.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »

Working through season 3

You know one thing that's a bit worrying this close to the end is a lot of the 'safe' characters could be losing their protection as plot lines are tied up.

Yeah, well, S6 kind of showed us that already.

Making "Kings Landing" a literal term and holding doors and whatnot.

• Options
    Not a remake of anything, but a cool song by KSE about Game of Thrones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QivU2w0mOes

Forked tongue to blind and divide
    Choking on these venomous voices
    We overcome our enemy
    Until all are vanquished

Flames course through the darkness
    For life to be avenged
    Through honor and victory
    We make amends

Loyalty (loyalty) until the grave
    Unbowed, unbent
    We are unbroken

Obvs about House Martell.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    oh weird, Killswitch has their original vocalist back? How often does that happen. :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    oh weird, Killswitch has their original vocalist back? How often does that happen. :P

Howard retired because he got diagnosed with Type II diabetes, and apparently they never really lost touch with Jessie even when he got booted out.

Their last 2 albums have been p damn good.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Road Block wrote: »

Working through season 3

Yeah, well, S6 kind of showed us that already.

Making "Kings Landing" a literal term and holding doors and whatnot.

Out of all the deaths on this show, this one has had the most lasting impact on me. Some others might have been more shocking at the time, but between the building dread that that scene created, and when you saw the overall affect that the vision had on his life, it still makes me feel sick when I think about it.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    LostNinja wrote: »

Out of all the deaths on this show, this one has had the most lasting impact on me. Some others might have been more shocking at the time, but between the building dread that that scene created, and when you saw the overall affect that the vision had on his life, it still makes me feel sick when I think about it.

It also helps the kid actor sold the fuck out of it.

God, the way he slowly changed the words is still difficult to watch, it's so haunting.

This discussion has been closed.