As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Mad Catz

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2016 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Mad Catz

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    AstralMuffinAstralMuffin Registered User regular
    Their faces ar on-point! Good job Gabe!

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I have a severe allergic reaction to reboots of my childhood from the 80's ... insofar that I owned a lot of Ninja Turtles, G.I. Joes, Lego, Star Wars, Voltron ... name it, I had something, all of it in relatively good condition, all of it worth a small fortune today.

And all of it sold in a garage sale behind my back when I went to boot camp in '98.

Every once in a while, I torture myself and see what it's worth on EBay.

I'll be over here in the corner, crying.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    It's definitely a non-zero factor.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Highly recommend the new Voltron for people that haven't seen it. Its two show runners were heavily involved with Airbernder and Korra. Lauren Montgomery also worked on Teen Justice while Joaquim Dos Santos worked on Justice League Unlimited. And it definitely shows in Voltron.

• Options
    PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    Well, witches are real. I've met one. They just aren't what you think they are.

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    The new Voltron really rides a line between cliche and interesting.

• Options
    IllustrioIllustrio Registered User new member

If you're trying to say some whack shit about Margaret Hamilton...

On a less combative note, the faces have gotten really, really expressive over the last six months or so.

• Options
    PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    Illustrio wrote: »

If you're trying to say some whack shit about Margaret Hamilton...

On a less combative note, the faces have gotten really, really expressive over the last six months or so.

No... rural North Central Florida has some odd pagan cults. Nice people, though.

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

I used to work with one. She was pissed off that ISIS had made the goddess' name have unfortunate implications.

Also at immigrants taking our jobs, but I don't think that was connected.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    IllustrioIllustrio Registered User new member
    You know what they say about Florida, and the people who willingly live there. Present company excepted of course.

• Options
    TrygylTrygyl Registered User regular
    Okay, real talk: is that "witches are real" as in "witches are real and they walk among you so watch out" or "witches are real and we pretty much worship their ways"?

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Witches are real. There are pagans and wiccans and such like any other demographic. And they get targeted for a lot for bullshit since they are pretty small demographics even then.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "It could be witches! Some evil witches,
    Which is ridiculous 'cause witches they were persecuted,
    Wicca good and love the earth and womyn power
    And I'll be over here."

• Options
    poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    I own some of the original Voltron episodes dvds in the metal cases. I also don't have netflix so can't watch the new series.

• Options
    wallywestwallywest Registered User regular
    Coming out of lurk mode just comment on how incredibly similar my childhood was to Tycho's. I too had to sneak around to watch any "witchy" cartoons, which in my house basically meant ALL cartoons. 80's music was verboten for the same reason, too much Satan. I have had surreal conversations with other people my age, talking about our childhood, where their experience was drastically different from mine thanks the religious editing that I had to endure.

Voltron was one of my favorites growing up, although I didn't get to see much of it. The new series is surprisingly good.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    This goes out to Wally, Tycho and all the rest that had super religious upbringings...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIXtCWz03Dc

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    GrassHopperGrassHopper Registered User regular
    wallywest wrote: »
    Coming out of lurk mode just comment on how incredibly similar my childhood was to Tycho's. I too had to sneak around to watch any "witchy" cartoons, which in my house basically meant ALL cartoons...

You aren't alone, Wally. I still remember the sermon that got my parents to throw out my He-Man Castle Grayskull tower. I'm mentally preparing myself for Father's Day tomorrow. I hope your dad is still around. Just remember they tried with the best information they had

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    My friend wasn't allowed to play Dungeons and Dragons because of, y'know. But his parents were okay with Rifts because it was never mentioned. Never mind that if you cracked open the Rifts book, it was full of so much worse than the D&D main guides.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    wallywest wrote: »
    Coming out of lurk mode just comment on how incredibly similar my childhood was to Tycho's. I too had to sneak around to watch any "witchy" cartoons, which in my house basically meant ALL cartoons...

You aren't alone, Wally. I still remember the sermon that got my parents to throw out my He-Man Castle Grayskull tower. I'm mentally preparing myself for Father's Day tomorrow. I hope your dad is still around. Just remember they tried with the best information they had

Was it the sermon about He-Man being super gay?

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I bounced pretty regularly between a household where, ex. Harry Potter et al were right out (Let's call it Home A), and a household (Home B) were it was standard bookshelf material (alongside ex. C.S. Lewis and Kahil Gibran). Both were practicing Christian, but one obviously understood the distinction between fantasy and reality (or just religion if you don't subscribe to that newsletter) better than the other did. Let's also say Home A was located to the far southeast of the US. You can fill in the rest.

After I grew up, I met some actual pagans, didn't get turned into a newt, and decided to live and let live (which is sort of a key tenant anyway), and watch and listen to things that were enjoyable. And just avoid that conversation when I visited Home A. Home B is now watching Game of Thrones, if that tells you anything.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    My friend wasn't allowed to play Dungeons and Dragons because of, y'know. But his parents were okay with Rifts because it was never mentioned. Never mind that if you cracked open the Rifts book, it was full of so much worse than the D&D main guides.

hahahaha this happened to a buddy of mine

he couldn't explicitly play Dungeons & Dragons, because his parents forbid him from playing Dungeons & Dragons

and in traditional rules-lawyer fashion, he asked his parents if he could go over to his friends house and play a game called Rifts

his parents went "oh ok whatever" because they had never heard about that

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

Well, if Wiccans want to call themselves witches who are we to stop them, but the word predates the modern spiritual movement and etymologically derives from a root which meant magic or sorcery, with a sinister connotation in its own time, so don't buy the whole song-and-dance that Wicca is an ancient belief system that was slandered and oppressed and that's why we think witches are evil. The word was always a generically negative term with much the same connotations we now have, and it was never associated with any particular belief system.

Wicca is a modern religion cobbled together from various older religions, folklore, and mythology. And there's nothing wrong with that (seriously, as with neopaganism; I can see how it makes sense to look for larger trends in past belief systems and try to synthesize a holistic system out of them), but it drives me up a wall when some of the hucksters who write books about it deliberately misrepresent or outright falsify the history. And then you get a lot of teenage/twenty-something goth posers who are just so desperate to rebel against something that they'll parrot it back without any second thoughts. I've met genuinely devout wiccans, and they were pretty cool, but there's a lot of bullshit that gets tossed around about it by people who are only in it for the image that bugs me. Same thing with Satanism, which, let's be honest, has virtually nothing to do with any of the Abrahamic concepts of Satan except they borrowed the name to be edgy.

PS. Apologies if that rant offends anyone, or if Phaserlight wasn't talking about wiccans.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    cmdshft4cmdshft4 Registered User regular
    Thundercats was on Sunday mornings. I pretended to be sick one Sunday to stay home from church to see it. I tried it the next week and my dad thought that Satan had conspired with the TV networks to get kids to stay home from church. He really meant well, but that shit is bonkers.

• Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    am I the only one who's mind went to the controllers and memory cards made for videogame systems?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    am I the only one who's mind went to the controllers and memory cards made for videogame systems?
    ThatsTheJoke.gif :P

8i1dt37buh2m.png