As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - ADVENTURE OVER!!! Thanks for Playing!

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »

Dural, as the only one with a weapon in his hand and keeping a watch on them, can make one "opportunity-like" attack if he chooses before they fade away

A monk is never unarmed! ;)

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I suppose that is true...but the moment has passed now. :)

BTW, didn't Ay (or someone) pick up Barran's rapier? Or did you guys leave it back by the Mimic?

• Options
    Indeed, I wasn't trying to get an attack in. Just commenting I am never truly unarmed!

I don't remember if I explicitly called out recovering his weapon. If you'll allow it, perhaps I was Inspired to recover his Rapier back there? (if you'll let me spend the Inspiration that way?) If not, sorry, Barran!

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I honestly don't mind the halfling waving around a broken orc broadsword. Barran is a little miffed that he doesn't get to be "the hero" and rescue the party from the clutches of the Mimic with the power of alcohol, but he's not going to go back to that room if he doesn't have to.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    am0n wrote: »
    Helping the dwarf and human from the grip of the mimic, Ay asks, "Do you mind if we get our weapons back? We may need them to go and get you wine."
    "Yeah, yeah...slurp chomp....here you go."

thud. thud. thud. thud.

I will consider this to be enough for someone to have picked up Barran's rapier and return it to him. There is no need for anyone to spend their Inspiration or anything like that.

So, Party...are we ready to move on and chase after the Hobs and their slaves?

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Provided the DNS attacks on half the internet are done, yup!

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Gremlins are clearly at work undermining our communication gadgets. Onward, through the previously hidden door!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I have done some editing on the dialogue between the Imps to better suit the narrative of the adventure and get out of the corner I painted myself into. Perhaps you'd like to go back a page and re-read things. I have plan now! Sort of. :)

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    // yeah. mistress. spiders. goddammit. Salazar will not end up in a drow torture pit, I tell you!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Gathering up your ropes and making sure your weapons are back in their scabbards where they belong, your party sets out after the Hobgoblin and his prisoners. Heading north through the open door, you quickly make your way through the short distance back to the Hall of Three Kings.

This time, the room looks much the same as before. Even down to the headless Troll carcass. Following what the Imps had divulged, you warily head out of the room through the northern hallway. Not 20 feet in, a pair of secret doors ahead of you slide open and the same pair of Helmed Horrors stomp their way out and into the Hall.

This time, they have a much more aggressive demeanor. Probably because you're now in their hallway.

Clang. Clang. Clang. Clang.

What do you do?

6087923028c5cac4ebb9824f3c231f6e.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Salazar is hanging as far back as he can, preparing to run for his life.

ready action: flee if the horrors attack.

evilthecat on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    "Alright, these things're starting to annoy me." The dwarf grumbles as he stares down the Helmed Horrors. "Oy, the little devils mentioned that the screaming elven stick...thing...was an alarm. Think these walking tin cans would follow its screaming wherever it is, even if stuff's right in front of them?"

I feel like we can't be this lucky.

Characters
  • Options
    IIn case anyone hasn't re-read the interactions with the Imp's that I went back and edited, it might be of some interest.

• Options
    Yeah there was a password. Which we don't have. Hence Sal's flighty disposition!

• Options
    There was a pretty big clue in there about the password. Maybe it deserves another look.

Or we can fight it out for more juicy XP. Your choice.

• Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Too slow by half, thinks Philo as the horrors clank toward him and the imps' words finally connect. "The imps said something about the names of the statues serve as a password for these things," he says, edging back from them. "Does anybody remember the names of the statues?"

• Options
    There was a pretty big clue in there about the password. Maybe it deserves another look.

Or we can fight it out for more juicy XP. Your choice.

didn't realise helmed horrors could level up ;p

• Options
    Barran courageously ducks behind one of the beefier fighters to allow them more room to maneuver. "Er... I think I remember one...

He racks his mind, thinking back to that hectic fight with the Troll. What was that name? He can remember that nameplate, he put his foot right on it while climbing up, but what was the word there!?

"Uh... Ruathyndar! Let us through!"

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Ay, about to mention Ruathyndar as the halfling does, attempts to quickly remember the others. "Don't forget uhm, Elyn... Elyndraun... and umm... Onthalak... err, no, Onthalass!"

• Options
    Clang. Clang. Cla-

The armored guardians stop dead in their tracks, pivot and return to their alcoves. The secret doors slide shut behind them.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Finally. :)

OK, for those of you itching for a straight up fight....you're going to love the next set of rooms.

Spoiler Alert & Local Map for upcoming fun! (You're next encounter will be in the room marked 41. Another one of the classic rooms in Undermountain. The next set of rooms where I wrote in numbers is the section of the dungeon that Lady Zarr has carved our for herself. Inspired by the 4e visit to Undermountain but I've changed, like, all of it. :)

Lady%20Zarrs%20Territory_zpsiiz8mkps.jpg

Let me get into maptools and work out some stats for bad guys and we'll move on to the next phase of the adventure!

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    "Goddammit. Guys, we need to rest!"

• Options
    edited October 2016
    The Bone Throne

The retreat of the animated guardians spurs you to hurry through the hall. The whimpering wail of a boy ahead of you causes you to run. A final turn and then a door that is slightly ajar A thud sounds, followed by more weeping and the screams of a terrified little girl and you push ahead into the room...
    This grand room has shiny, polished walls and floor, inset with golden mosaic tiles. Ancient wall sconces line the wall, the scorched wall stones behind them show that at one time, this room was well used. Today, a sparse number of them contain of fresh torches, casting their light around the perimeter of the room. Rising above all of your heads, near the centre of the room float two glowing globes. One of them larger than the other. Their radiance casts a soft light throughout the rest of the room.

On the far western wall, on a raised dais, sits a giant throne made out of bone. This grand seat is made out of interwoven, bleached bones. The twinkle of gems are also interspersed amongst the throne.

As you watch, you can see the body of a little boy twitching on the floor as if he was cast aside. A pair of hobgoblins finish prying two or three of the gems from the throne and return to their positions while the Captain holds down a girl in the seat. Very soon, a pair of snakes, formerly made of marble and a part of the thrones structure stir to life and entwine around the girl. The hobgoblin captain quickly retreats as the snakes hiss and sink their fangs into the girls arms. She shrieks a final time, and begins frothing at the mouth. A pair of Imps cackle in delight.

alumni_scoundrels_4_1.jpg

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    In case you wanted to fight...Roll Initiative!

Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Hob's Initiative
    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Imp's Initiative

Map:
    Bone%20Throne%20Round%201_zpscm80tn4m.jpg

Stats:
    Hob Captain (H6) - AC:17, HP: 39, Martial Advantage, Leadership
    Hob 1 (F5) - AC:18, HP:11, Martial Advantage
    Hob 2 (J5) - AC:18, HP:11, Martial Advantage
    Imp 1 (F8) - AC: 13, HP: 8 , Resistances, Immunities, Devil's Sight
    Imp 2 (I8) - AC: 13, HP: 7 , Resistances, Immunities, Devil's Sight

Salazar (N9) - AC:13, HP:23+5, Spells: -/0/0
    Barran (N8) - AC:15, HP:13, Spells: -/0,
    Ay (M9) - AC:16, HP:23+5, Ki: 1/3, Inspiration
    Dural (M7) - AC: 18, HP:18, Spells: -/0, LoH: 5/15
    Philo (M8) - AC:19, HP:20, 3 Superiority Dice

Hob's Initiative:
    1d20+1 7 [1d20=6]
    Imp's Initiative:
    1d20+1 15 [1d20=14]

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    "We can rest," the dwarf offers, heaving the hammer up in his hand and pointing it forward, "When they're dead."

Minion, roll 1d20 for Initiative

Maybe I won't be last this time!

Initiative:
    1d20 17 [1d20=17]

Characters
  • Options
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Barran's initiative!

Barran's initiative!:
    1d20+3 19 [1d20=16]

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Watching the horror in front of him, Ay says nothing.

The cracking of his knuckles as his balls his fists says all that needs to be said.

Geth, roll 1d20+3

1d20+3 14 [1d20=11]

am0n on
  • Options
    @Mongrel Idiot - Confirm your AC for me please. Are you using that new shield with the +1? Is that reflected in your stat line?

• Options
    edited October 2016
    My AC should be 19, using the +1 shield.

"Agreed, Dural," says Philo, starting into the room. "And may your Finder find a hell of special heat for them."

Edit: :(

Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Initiative

Initiative:
    1d20+1 2 [1d20=1]

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    You're not slow... you're just assessing the situation...

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Minion, roll 1d20+1 for possible friendly fire incidents

possible friendly fire incidents:
    1d20+1 18 [1d20=17]

evilthecat on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Barran is first up! Salazar is on deck!

Map:
    Bone%20Throne%20Round%201_zpscm80tn4m.jpg
    - Its not quite relevant to the fight, but there should be a door in the middle of the north wall that I forgot to put on the map.
    - The room is lit enough for you to see and fight with no hindrance
    - The ceiling is at least 25' high. The glowing globes are about 20' up.

Stats (in order of initiative):
    Barran (N8) - AC:15, HP:13, Spells: -/0,
    Salazar (N9) - AC:13, HP:23+5, Spells: -/0/0
    Dural (M7) - AC: 18, HP:18, Spells: -/0, LoH: 5/15
    Ay (M9) - AC:16, HP:23+5, Ki: 1/3, Inspiration
    Imp 1 (F8) - AC: 13, HP: 8 , Resistances, Immunities, Devil's Sight
    Imp 2 (I8) - AC: 13, HP: 7 , Resistances, Immunities, Devil's Sight
    Hob Captain (H6) - AC:17, HP: 39, Martial Advantage, Leadership
    Hob 1 (F5) - AC:18, HP:11, Martial Advantage
    Hob 2 (J5) - AC:18, HP:11, Martial Advantage
    Philo (M8) - AC:19, HP:20, 3 Superiority Dice, Inspiration

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Well, if we consider Philo's turn opening the door... it's kind of like the PCs all got the jump on them!

Edit: Also, I don't normally do this, but this fight looks rough and we aren't at 100%. Do we want to discuss any strategy before we charge in head first, or is that too meta-gamey?

am0n on
  • Options
    Philo's a battle-captain type, so if we want to strategerize we could justify it as him having pushed the discussion ahead of time and/or started getting super bossy once the fight started.

• Options
    I'm OK OOC with strategy discussions. There might be certain times when I would change my mind, but I'm cool with it in this case.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    in which case I'd like to suggest the following: the imps mentioned that their contract is to "guide the dumb hobgoblin through the dungeon" and that they have no love for the guy. I'd try persuading the imps to stay out of the fight, their contract mentions no protection clause, this way they'll get to see what they mentioned earlier: the hobgoblins getting their teeth kicked in.

Also, as a sidenote, and this might be too meta-gamey: that chair seems to be an instant kill. perhaps our two strongest could tackle the captain and forcibly push him into the throne.

evilthecat on
  • Options
    I'd agree with all that. If Ay, Dural, and Philo can all stick close together while engaging the hobgoblins, we can make good use of Dural and Philo's protection fighting style. Too, we should probably clear out the two hobgoblin mooks before dogpiling the leader. I don't remember what Leadership and Martial Advantage do, but leadership at least seems like it would need a group of enemies to work.

• Options

Martial Advantage give the Hobs a damage bonus of they are ganging up on you. Leadership lets the Captain give his allies a d4 boost for 10 rounds/1 minute

• Options
    The mooks are going to be a pain in the ass to hit, which sucks.

Characters
  • Options
    Yeah, Martial Advantage is essentially sneak attack. They deal extra damage if you are engaged with them and one of their allies. That means they are going to deal a lot of damage.

Focus fire I think is going to be key. And I'd suggest focusing the mooks. They have slightly higher AC, but like 1/4 the HP. And since the Captain's boost only affects his allies, if we kill his allies he's going to lose both of his perks. If we have any sleeps, or other crowd control (even just rooting something to keep it out of the fray for a round), I think that would be very useful here...

I also like Salazar's idea, if he think he can convince the imps to stay back.