As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Daily Show], [Last Week Tonight], & [Comedy News In General]

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Yeah. Jokes and topical things are nice. But also it's very important to raise as much awareness to how horrific an individual is that happens to be in the running to lead one of the most influential countries on the planet.

that trumps a lot of things.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Yeah. Jokes and topical things are nice. But also it's very important to raise as much awareness to how horrific an individual is that happens to be in the running to lead one of the most influential countries on the planet.

zzrifvdxxage.jpg

Kadoken on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

hnnnnng

Trace on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    More details on Stewart's new project at HBO

bgr.com/2016/08/01/jon-stewart-hbo-show-animated/

Some kind of content wil come out as early as September or October.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I'm hoping after the conventions Oliver will limit the election stuff to the "this week" portion, and go back to other issues for the features. At least most of them. Because I don't want weeks on end of this. I had election fatigue back in 14.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I'm hoping after the conventions Oliver will limit the election stuff to the "this week" portion, and go back to other issues for the features. At least most of them. Because I don't want weeks on end of this. I had election fatigue back in 14.

That sounds like the most sensible plan, and more or less what he did up until the last couple of weeks. He only hit Trump a few times but other than that he was basically ignoring the whole process. Going forward I don't think he'll take direct aim at the election until October. Maybe a debate or two if they provide the raw satire material I'm sure they will.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Now I'm wondering how this will change how we use that word.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPJHdfzZ5rU

"I'm not crying, I just have America in my eye."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Man that LWT "five things Trump said" joke was kind of horrifying.

Watched Monday night's Colbert Late Show yesterday and saw the Trump interview from Sunday where he talked about the debates conflicting with the NFL.

I thought that was one of the things Oliver was joking about.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    the Last Week had a great episode about something else than elections:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq2_wSsDwkQ

Chorp!

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I cannot share that segment on my Facebook. I really truly want to share it on Facebook, but I work in a TV newsroom and I definitely saw some of my coworkers who also use Facebook (in spirit) in that skit at the end. And I think they'd see themselves as well and feelings miiiiigght get hurt.

So yeah, spent a lot of that segment doing a full-body cringe.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Is it just me or is Desi Lydic really good at emoting?

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    Is it just me or is Desi Lydic really good at emoting?

I think she and Roy Wood Jr. are the best of the new people. Jordan Klepper's still the top of the heap now that Williams is gone, though.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYG9ZmpfiVI

Samantha Bee remains a treasure if only side tracked.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    From what I saw during the conventions, he had largely righted the ship, but didn't launch with a coherent vision like Colbert did. Weaker lead in can't help.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    From what I saw during the conventions, he had largely righted the ship, but didn't launch with a coherent vision like Colbert did. Weaker lead in can't help.

Weaker lead-in and tougher competition elsewhere.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Well that's a shame. I liked some of what they did, but admittedly they didn't keep me. The 'giving both sides a voice' on some stupid shit (I believe it was anti-vaxxers) and then doubling down on it when they had an episode with some of the staff and the guy said he was glad they did it, just kind of turned me off. Some in this thread have said they were getting better, but I really think what they were trying to do at times seemed like an hour show in half an hour (minus commercials, intro/finale, and other bits).

I hope Wilmore ends up somewhere good, I do generally like him. Would it be bad/weird if he ended up on the Daily Show again? "Senior Returning Correspondent Who Doesn't Get His Nice Office Back"?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Yeah that's too bad. The show was getting good, too. Really needed to ditch the panel format, I wonder if that's what did it in?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Wilmore annoyed me to no end.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    I thought the show got a lot better as it went along, so I'm kinda sad to see it go.

But on the plus side, hopefully this means I never have to see Ricky Velez's unfunny ass again.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I thought the show got a lot better as it went along, so I'm kinda sad to see it go.

But on the plus side, hopefully this means I never have to see Ricky Velez's unfunny ass again.

Besides Ricky who I didn't find too bad, the rest of his crew was pretty damn good. I hope they get some more opportunities elsewhere. On the whole though I thought his show was getting better by the month. They seemed to be finding their voice. A lot better than the first three months or so.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Yep, definitely a bit bummed by this one. I too think the show was getting a lot better. It was leagues better than when it first started. For awhile I was only watching out of habit because it was the 11:30 show on Comedy Central. I think dropping the panel down a person helped. I agree that the vaccine thing wasn't handled well and wished Rory would have admitted they made a mistake there when he had the chance. I think they broke that habit though and stopped allowing both sides to have any airtime if one of those sides was clearly crazy.

I also think the show gave me, a middle aged white straight dude, a bit more insight into the kind of shit other people have to deal with. There were times that I was angry, engaged, interested, and outright fucking befuddled that people have to put up with some of the shit the show talked about. It wasn't the best show on TV but I definitely learned a few things. So for that I'll always respect what the show has been trying to do, especially in the last 6-9 months. I also hope Larry doesn't forget about Bill Cosby.

Glad that Samantha Bee and John Oliver are still on and killing it though. Trevor is getting better at the whole thing too. I think the full blown election "stuff" coming up will prove out whether or not he's cut out for this. Stephen seems to be going a little more political and while that may alienate some general viewers I think it may ultimately save his show. I've certainly found it more watchable recently.

So do I give @ Midnight a chance now since it moves to 11:30 or just enjoy that I have about 22 minutes of free time in my life?

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The anti-vax and doubling down on it was what made me stop watching as well, so between then and when Colbert's new show started up the 11:30 slot was empty time for me.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    The biggest thing that bothered me was when they had the panels and very few, if any, of the people speaking had any knowledge on what subject they were talking about. It was often just how they felt or opinion on the subject that they were giving from limited or lack of info.

Truthiness, feels, and opinions are shit I don't care about, whether it's Fox News or not.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I think I stopped watching after that horrible episode Alex Wagner was on.

It doesn't help that I've ended up in a place without Comedy Central, but the only part I ever really liked was the pre-panel monologue. I don't feel too bad, though.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I think I stopped watching after that horrible episode Alex Wagner was on.

It doesn't help that I've ended up in a place without Comedy Central, but the only part I ever really liked was the pre-panel monologue. I don't feel too bad, though.

yeah, the show was continually hamstrung by the fact they were doing a hour long format in 30 minutes.

They should have chose to either double down and start the panel from the first second, or abandon it all together.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    I'm just not sure what else they could have done in a third segment. Trot out the same person they had as a guest on the panel for an interview? Probably not a good idea as I don't think Larry was ever good at interviewing people the few times he did do it. The heavily edited interviews where he'd have lunch or dinner with someone were fine but the live in studio stuff never felt very natural when they would happen. I guess they could have done some more writing for another segment but that's probably rough on a show that runs 4 days a week. I agree that abandoning the panel is a good idea, but I'm not sure what you replace it with.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Felt like the team was firmly in "no more fucks to give" mode from what I saw/heard last night before falling alseep. I don't usually make it to the panel discussion, but have been enjoying the first one or two segments each week for a while now.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Felt like the team was firmly in "no more fucks to give" mode from what I saw/heard last night before falling alseep. I don't usually make it to the panel discussion, but have been enjoying the first one or two segments each week for a while now.

Mike Yard won last night. It was great.

Also I really felt that the nightly show gave me a look at the minority viewpoint on shit that is going on. Samantha Bee is great, as are John and Jon, but as far as being black or another minority they were still reporting on the outside of the issue (Less so Samantha since being a woman there is still a ton of marginalizing and discrimination going on). I'll miss that voice and insight that Larry and his crew brought.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

that segment just makes me remember about the poor polar bears and their broken dicks...

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Oh my God, how long they hold the camera on them staring at the bear-humping is amazing.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Yeah I think the thing is I was like oh nice a panel show that won't make me want to eat my own eyeballs and then no it turns out it definitely did that way too frequently. I peaced out after the hiiii-larious death penalty joking.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Apparently the roundtable thing was Jon Stewart's idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb26wWZj3IQ

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Apparently the roundtable thing was Jon Stewart's idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb26wWZj3IQ

Again, its not a bad idea..but its a idea for an hour long format. To do it on a 30 minute show, they needed to just jump straight into the round table from the very first second, instead of spending half the episode on monologue and shit.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Also, way to go out of your way to find all the voices that really shouldn't be heard on television.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    the panel idea seemed like it could be ok (and there were some clips i saw that i liked of the panel) but then some of what i read about it made it sound like the issue was panelists who don't fit the topic being discussed

my favorite part of the daily show was the interviews though (and i didn't like colbert report that much mostly on the basis of his interviews being generally boring / bad because he stuck to the character) so i am probably not a good example of the TDS fanbase

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions