As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Daily Show], [Last Week Tonight], & [Comedy News In General]

• VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Heh. Found the Glen Beck video:

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/zql36e/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-glenn-beck-s-operation.

Haven't been able to find the Megyn Kelly video pre/post Fox for years though. Must have gotten taken down.

• VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    VoodooV wrote: »
    I remember seeing an old Jon Stewart bit back during the fight to get Obamacare and Beck was one of the more vocal opponents. Apparently, some time before that, Beck had to have some significant healthcare done and he made some video about how American healthcare sucks. So Jon cut back and forth between video of old Beck who hated Americian Healthcare, and "current" Beck who thought American healthcare was the best in the world. So as usual, I think a lot of these guys, including O'Reilly, and Megyn Kelly are just simply paid very well to say whatever their handlers want them to say, regardless of if they agree with it themselves.

Occasionally you'll see people break ranks when their self interest is on the line. Kelly's done this before over maternity leave, and sexism.

I can't find it anymore, but I saw this youtube video once that showed clips of Megyn before and after she got hired by Fox. Completely. Different. Person.

What was she like before Fox News? People do crazy things for money.

I don't remember specific issues, but she was...rational. I don't recall her being particularly liberal on anything. I think she was a former attorney and she was simply giving some legal analysis and it was very even-handed. It was comparing her younger self to her current, at the time, Fox persona, showing clips of her saying absurd shit.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    And that's fine.

But as long as he's got his tail between his legs, an ally is an ally.

Just don't forget to fact check him. I mean, it wasn't his political preference that made him a kook.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    Oh Jon Oliver, how I've missed you. Please never leave me alone with the bad man again.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    On other hand, why did John dedicate whole episode for the bad man?

Reality is depressing enough.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    jammu wrote: »

Let's be honest here, what else could he have talked about, without bringing it back to the man-sized cheeto in the room?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    jammu wrote: »

Let's be honest here, what else could he have talked about, without bringing it back to the man-sized cheeto in the room?

Yeah he basically said as much before going into the deep dive on "reality". He had to (re)establish a baseline for future pieces.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    abotkin wrote: »
    Oh Jon Oliver, how I've missed you. Please never leave me alone with the bad man again.

Hey Trevor's not that bad
    I an joking I actually still watch The Daily Show weekly

• jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I just hope he tones down it a little. I don't want 8* more years of Last weeks Trump with John Oliver.
    Maybe a small Trump quip every couple of weeks? No main stories, please.

*4 for optimists.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
    edited February 2017
    Yesterday's main section (hell, it's almost the entire episode);

Edit: fair warning, there is a vague but unmistakable drawing of genitals at one point in this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xecEV4dSAXE

Forar on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Surprising, they didn't bleep out the F-word for once!

Edit: I wonder how long the ads will air.. and if they'll actually air the last one they showed.. which I don't want to spoil.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Was not expecting a vagoo pic drawing when viewing this at work. Consider yourself warned.

Mugsley on
    Apologies, I have edited the post to note as much.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So I'm a bit sad for John Oliver, since he seems for the most part stuck doing current events/Trump Administration stuff, rather than examining lesser known stories like he did in his first few seasons.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    So I'm a bit sad for John Oliver, since he seems for the most part stuck doing current events/Trump Administration stuff, rather than examining lesser known stories like he did in his first few seasons.

Trump's literally taking over everything, even comedian's material.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

The flip side of this is that some people rely on the daily show as a primary news source (which goes a long way to describe how fucked Journalism is in the US) and by ignoring things like how yet another member of the administration is showing ties to russia people either don't realize whats going on or assume that it's ok.

Which is dumb as all hell but ultimately the nature of the US these days :/

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    A fairly valid point I saw was that LWT focusing on Trump is harmful to the show. LWT focussing on smaller issues that everyone can get behind put it in its own niche in the comedy political shows. With that episode focussed on Trump etc there's reason for people to dismiss it as a partisan news source like The Daily Show etc. And it is less unique because of the Trump focus, everyone and their dog talks about Trump. He's good tv. There isn't a derth of Trump coverage and LWT's coverage hasn't brought anything new to the table (aside from the embarrassing Drumpf fail).

It's silly to try to appeal to hyper partisan critics, if someone isn't going to listen to the show because its liberal then, whatever. They probably weren't going to listen in the first place. It's a nearly impossible goal.

But I really think that LWT had achieved it in the early episodes and that it has since lost that impartiality that made it so unique in the beginning. It focussed on things that everyone, left or right, agreed was bad.

Gvzbgul on
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

To be fair, he's trying to get away from covering Trump, as evidenced by his coverage of Tibet two weeks ago and the AHCA from this past week (which was more focused on the GOP in general than it was Trump himself). I guess what I'm saying is that "current events" isn't a topic that's foreign to LWT, as it's a thing that he's covered several times last year. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing more "lesser known stories" (as you put it) since there are plenty of other topics that are deserving of the air-time and could really use more attention brought to them.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    A fairly valid point I saw was that LWT focusing on Trump is harmful to the show. LWT focussing on smaller issues that everyone can get behind put it in its own niche in the comedy political shows. With that episode focussed on Trump etc there's reason for people to dismiss it as a partisan news source like The Daily Show etc. And it is less unique because of the Trump focus, everyone and their dog talks about Trump. He's good tv. There isn't a derth of Trump coverage and LWT's coverage hasn't brought anything new to the table (aside from the embarrassing Drumpf fail).

It's silly to try to appeal to hyper partisan critics, if someone isn't going to listen to the show because its liberal then, whatever. They probably weren't going to listen in the first place. It's a nearly impossible goal.

But I really think that LWT had achieved it in the early episodes and that it has since lost that impartiality that made it so unique in the beginning. It focussed on things that everyone, left or right, agreed was bad.

The people that would have an issue with Oliver going after Trump wouldn't like anything LWT brings up anyway.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

The people that would have an issue with Oliver going after Trump wouldn't like anything LWT brings up anyway.

Also the takeaway from oliver's early shows is the right sustaining the things "everyone" agreed was bad

Your description of Oliver's show reads like a case of both sides are bad itis

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to Full Frontal's and the Daily Show's reaction to FOX firing O'Reilly.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    honovere wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to Full Frontal's and the Daily Show's reaction to FOX firing O'Reilly.

Sam's (still) on break, but TDS had their shot last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nIlIPjUsuA

Presumably Colbert shot his hits in too but they're not up on YT yet.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

It is now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbYpi_WbfkI

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I really want to watch Colbert but I don't care for the like 40 minutes of interviews. I usually skip the ones on the daily show and I'm just here for the correspondents and news. What do you search if you want those opening parts he does?

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I 've been really coming around on Noah, but if I have to judge by the reaction videos , Colbert is the clear winner.

( Because his is the only one that doesn't call me a dirty foreigner and actually plays)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I really want to watch Colbert but I don't care for the like 40 minutes of interviews. I usually skip the ones on the daily show and I'm just here for the correspondents and news. What do you search if you want those opening parts he does?

I subscribed to the YouTube channel and it get's broken down into segments there, then I just click on the two or three that look interesting to me each day.

steam_sig.png
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Wow. That segment on the restaurant is some vintage "black people are sub-human" racism.

Breathtaking.

• GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular

Wow. That segment on the restaurant is some vintage "black people are sub-human" economic anxiety.

edited April 2017
    The one thing I've noticed, things are a lot less personal than they used to be. Back when John did the Daily Show and Colbert did The Colbert Show they'd have feuds and arguments with their rivals on FOX etc. Now a once-rival being fired is just another news item. Which I think is less on the new-Daily Show and LSwSC and more on the split of political shows in general. There used to be a lot more cross talk (even if that cross talk was stuff like the abysmal Crossfire). Now shows are more like separate worlds that rarely interact with each other.

Recently we had Trevor and Tomi, but that just wasn't the same. There wasn't the same long running rivalry and petty sniping that John and Bill used to have.

Gvzbgul on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Wow. That segment on the restaurant is some vintage "black people are sub-human" racism.

Breathtaking.

That was like a decade ago too, if I recall. Still got to keep his show.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I feel bad saying it, but what's going on with Lewis Black? The shaking there was concerning.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    He's had that for at least a decade now. I'm not sure what the genesis is, but he's been living and touring with it for quite a while.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    Yeah, that has been present (and appeared to be more noticeable as the years passed) for ages.

Checked Wikipedia and Google, a bunch of random people suggesting theories (the usual suspects), but I'm not seeing anywhere that he himself has stated what the cause is.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I like to think that it's the beginning of his final ascension to a full-fledged rage demon. One of these days, his skin will burst like an overripe melon and out will spill Lewis Black's final form (which will basically be Lewis Black, but red and glowing and taller), which will proceed to take sardonic bellowing vengeance upon all that has offended it.

Starbucks should watch the fuck out on that day.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I'm kinda surprised that Fox didn't have some sort of clause about conduct unbecoming to the network canceling the payout.

Though I guess his conduct is fairly becoming to Fox News these days.

aeNqQM9.jpg