As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War] Da Total WAAAAGH! Thread, Da Knights of Bretonnia are here! Sequel announced!

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9roTmGwjs9o
    Rami wrote: »
    Quick tip for VC:

Necromancers!

At level 4 they can get master of the dead which is a constant healing aura, along with invocation of Nehek which can be overcast to be an aoe heal as well.

Pro tip: after winning a battle don't click end yet, clump all your wounded units together and get a necromancer in there with master of the dead, then overcast invocation of nehek on the whole bunch as many times as you can until your magic has run dry or the last fleeing enemy units leave the map.

Since invocation will raise the dead when other models in the unit are full hp, it's possible to restore pretty significant chunks of unit health at the end of a battle before returning to the campaign map.

Yeah but that involves using Necros in an army instead of just as moneymancers...

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Bretonnia totally looks like my kind of thing. It's great to see how much work and effort they're putting in to a free faction!

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Doesn't look like the brettonia regions get more settlements. Considering how busy the economic building side seems to be, players are going to have to make some hard decisions on what to build.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    Doesn't look like the brettonia regions get more settlements. Considering how busy the economic building side seems to be, players are going to have to make some hard decisions on what to build.

nothing a +10 settlement mod can't fix ^_^

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    It won't really be much worse than Empire.

Remember the main issue is needing multiple buildings that go up to T4 or T5, and you only get one major settlement capable of that per province anyway.

The minor settlements are easy, a basic barracks (that usually only goes up to T3), a growth building and an economic building. Then replace growth with a wall when fully built up.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I think I like beastmen a little bit? Although I keep getting destroyed on their minicampaign once carroburg gets like three armies on me at once. 2v1 isn't as bad because of vanguard.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    What is a good way to use units in vanguard, just basically? Primarily for ambush?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Lightning Strike is your friend Kadoken. Also, don't be afraid to set up ambushes. Hell, use weak armies in the open as bait. If you are completely hidden they will gun for that small stack every time.

I'd look at the video Rami; both infantry and cavalry buildings rank up to 5. You need a shrine (lvl 4-5) for grail knights/anti-corruption, a forge (lvl4-5) for unlocks. There looks like there are 6 different economy buildings.

Major notes:

Pegasus knights are now anti-large (they will not get as wrecked against vargheists now)
    Knights (lances) are now anti-large (currently anti-infantry)
    Knights (two-handed swords) new unit and is anti-infantry
    hippogriff knights: armor piercing with high weapon damage (112). they are basically flying trolls without the regen/leadership penalty

New Infantry
    peasants (similar stat line to zombies)
    two handed swordsmen (slightly weaker version than empire great swords, they have better charge stats)
    monk/peasant swordsmen (slightly weaker version than empire swordsmen)

there is supposedly a new archer unit that fires flaming arrows. Not seen yet

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am slowly creeping to victory on my vampire counts game. Chaos is neutral to me for some reason. I am okay with this. They burn something I come in like undead cockroaches and take it over. I figure they will turn on me eventually so I am build a forth army to hold the North from them and just making all the settlements fully walled up so when they turn they have a lot to burn through before getting to the important areas of my empire.

Next looks like a war with the dwarves to burn out their near by settlements to let the orcs take them over as they ignore me as well.

The empire did attack me a couple times but gave me a lot of money and peaced out as Chaos was consuming their northern borders. I was surprised to find Bretonnia is still alive but the wood elves own like half the border princes and a few others places.

Finally figured out the overcast and movement stuff I forgot as dwarves because what is magic? Has led to a few nasty fights I have come out on top. Also I think my vargulf is immortal. During a massive siege it some how teleported through the door it was hitting into the enemy. Then looked like it died but instead was just waiting for me in my army.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    It has been interesting having the remaining human factions, the ones starting fights with me, becoming all chummy once Chaos arrived. Have beaten Archaon twice in battle and wounded him once. Seems like their invasion is stalling out. The Varg and Skaeling are running back north as well.

Been a good learning game.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    What is a good way to use units in vanguard, just basically? Primarily for ambush?

More or less. If the enemy has artillery, having a vanguard unit or two hiding in the field is a good way to get a head start in taking them out.

It's also a great way to get units in position for flanking. If you ever play Wood Elves under Orion, you're going to rely on that a lot on even battles, because with treekin costing amber you're not going to always have the front line that can hold until you take units from the reserve out onto the flanks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    I was all pumped to take on Archaeon with Grimgore in my Orks campaign but they rushed through empire so fast he was still on the Northeast dwarves territory when they got to my northmost town. I ended up fighting him with a level 1 ork shaman and killed him with seven night goblin archers, who were also hilarious against chaos giants.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    I love my 10 slot Capitol Mod, but the only side effect is because it effects Start Pos, it renders 90% of every mod that I want to use incompatible. :(

• Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    I'm playing the mini-campaign with Argwylon now, it's going better than my last attempt.

Dryads are a bit crap, I've swapped them out with Eternal Guard with shields. I have some Tree Kin and Treemen, also dragons and great eagles and hawk riders and wild riders with shields. Missiles are glade guard with poison.

I've confederated with all the elves except one clan that has one settlement, and I'm currently murdering all the humans because I need amber for the last upgrade of the eternal oak. Everything south of the mountains is green.

• Options
    Kruite wrote: »
    Lightning Strike is your friend Kadoken. Also, don't be afraid to set up ambushes. Hell, use weak armies in the open as bait. If you are completely hidden they will gun for that small stack every time.

I'd look at the video Rami; both infantry and cavalry buildings rank up to 5. You need a shrine (lvl 4-5) for grail knights/anti-corruption, a forge (lvl4-5) for unlocks. There looks like there are 6 different economy buildings.

Major notes:

Pegasus knights are now anti-large (they will not get as wrecked against vargheists now)
    Knights (lances) are now anti-large (currently anti-infantry)
    Knights (two-handed swords) new unit and is anti-infantry
    hippogriff knights: armor piercing with high weapon damage (112). they are basically flying trolls without the regen/leadership penalty

New Infantry
    peasants (similar stat line to zombies)
    two handed swordsmen (slightly weaker version than empire great swords, they have better charge stats)
    monk/peasant swordsmen (slightly weaker version than empire swordsmen)

there is supposedly a new archer unit that fires flaming arrows. Not seen yet

Do they also get a Summon Peasants spell?

• Options
    Ivar wrote: »
    I'm playing the mini-campaign with Argwylon now, it's going better than my last attempt.

Dryads are a bit crap, I've swapped them out with Eternal Guard with shields. I have some Tree Kin and Treemen, also dragons and great eagles and hawk riders and wild riders with shields. Missiles are glade guard with poison.

I've confederated with all the elves except one clan that has one settlement, and I'm currently murdering all the humans because I need amber for the last upgrade of the eternal oak. Everything south of the mountains is green.

Dryad's are okay. You have to treat them like Zombies almost since they're dirt cheap and expendable. Argwylon's power really comes from the higher tier tree units that tank extremely well.

Overall, I didn't like some of their beast tech though. Eagles were best for just tangling up Ranged Units/Artillery, I haven't figured out Great Dragons yet, but other than that. I really, REALLY loved their tree roster with Doormu/Durthru whatever his name is.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I found dryads waaaaaaayyyyyyy hardier than eternal guard, which lost convincingly to basic ungor spearmen

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Tube wrote: »
    I found dryads waaaaaaayyyyyyy hardier than eternal guard, which lost convincingly to basic ungor spearmen

Yeah, my dryads were getting tons of kills with everything else around tanking the damage, and hardly ever died. They work great with the other tree units -- probably less so against armored stuff, but there's not a lot of that around you as the Elves.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Waffen wrote: »
    I love my 10 slot Capitol Mod, but the only side effect is because it effects Start Pos, it renders 90% of every mod that I want to use incompatible. :(

I know, I had the same issue.

I eventually went with it though, because it makes the campaign more fun and taking a capital is a big deal. Dwarfs are a little OP seeing as how black crag is next door, so that's two 10 bldg settlements in sub 25 turns.

The only thing I had to give up was a mod that added more RoR, but honestly that wasn't a great loss.

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    Isabella von carstein has a steam store page now, 1st of march is apparently her release date.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    It says 28th Feb for me

Same update as Bretonnia

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    I'm in Australia, still says 1st march for me. That's weird.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    ~time zones~

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    For some reason I thought the month ended on the 30th. That's my confusion. So yeah it's the same day.

• Options
    Waffen wrote: »

I know, I had the same issue.

I eventually went with it though, because it makes the campaign more fun and taking a capital is a big deal. Dwarfs are a little OP seeing as how black crag is next door, so that's two 10 bldg settlements in sub 25 turns.

The only thing I had to give up was a mod that added more RoR, but honestly that wasn't a great loss.

I only turn it off when I want to try certain mods. Other than that, I really like the mod because it makes the campaign harder.

I tried Cataph's Southern Realms Mod today. It was interesting to see new units in the South, but my biggest issue I had with the mod was how boring it gets once you kill your neighbors. There's not a whole lot you can do in the South. I can understand why CA hasn't touched them yet because until Africa gets added to the game, they don't have much of a purpose short of being Wood Elf Food or trolling the Dwarves.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I always wanted to make a Brettonia retrofit submod for Southern Realms called New Reman Empire where occupying the capitals got you other factions units and bonuses. I wonder if anyone considered doing the thing they did for the Soviet Army mod for CoH where instead of trying to pur new Italian/Spanish/Eastern European(?) sounding lines for the dialogue they could use Empire dialogue but from the Spanish/Italian/Greek(?) translations.

I wonder how expensive it is to just dub over lines for specific factions. It does get to be weird when a Middenlander incurs Sigmar over Ulric or the neglect of the Southern Realms' primary diety Myrmidia in their words

Kadoken on
  • Options
    Can't decide if I want to start up chaos, beastmen or elves next now that I've finished my first long campaign. I briefly played around with elves but their start position seemed weird because I didn't feel like I should murder conquer the other elves

• Options
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Can't decide if I want to start up chaos, beastmen or elves next now that I've finished my first long campaign. I briefly played around with elves but their start position seemed weird because I didn't feel like I should murder conquer the other elves

There are Bretonnia factions right there asking to have giant trees planted in their ass.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    So how do you deal with orcs and beastmen early game as empire?

Because Karl Franz blasting Yakkity Sax around the Reikland does not seem like a terribly productive use of anyone's time

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I've never had much in the way of orc problems, but I rely on the fact that I'm guaranteed to get a beastmen attack first thing and get ready for it. You can set up an ambush at the pass.

• Options
    In the two starts I've tried, both have had savage orcs beeline for western Reikland, and the structure of the province and their move speed makes it very difficult to defend all of my holdings with one army

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Are they spawning as hostile? Savage Orcs generally don't

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    There's usually only one stack of hostile orcs that roll through around the time you'd normally have finished taking out the Secessionists.

Mostly they end up getting wiped out by Brettonia or the Dwarfs, but if you see them in a weakened state take them out asap otherwise they can become a bit overwhelming at full strength.

That said they still die in droves to 6 units of crossbows just as they would to quarrellers.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Yeah it's like a half-stack of Skull-takerz, I think

They're just enough to overwhelm a garrison force, I could crush them with my army, but by the time I do they've at least ransacked one or two towns. I ended up catching them eventually, but I had to do at least one lap of Reikland before getting them

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Not sure the timing with Empire as I haven't played them but any way you can get the hero that blocks the army? TW games have a bad habit of yakity sax races without a success on that.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    The Beastman minicampaign is a lot of fun. Hiding around, using the beast paths, the vanguard abilities, the monsters, they're all pretty rad. I never used Empire vanguard deployment because they're not going to last, but screening archers with ungors or gors is really nice and a valid tactic to keep the enemy in place whils your minotaurs come in.

I've turned by nose up at it in the past, but this makes me want a focused End Times Campaign set in the Empire where you just have to repel chaos, beasts, and evil tomb king person I can't remember

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Not sure the timing with Empire as I haven't played them but any way you can get the hero that blocks the army? TW games have a bad habit of yakity sax races without a success on that.

Witch Hunter blocks armies.

Unfortunately, Witch Hunter is probably one of the last hero types you get as Empire, unless you get lucky with a random event, especially since IIRC it takes a building that has to be built at a province capital, and Altdorf's real estate is in very high demand (10 slot city mods notwithstanding)

Best advice I can give is try to lure them with an ambush. Enough forests in Reikland that there should be someplace you can hide and have at least a 50/50 shot of drawing them to end their turn someplace you can attack them from. Once you deal with those savage orcs and the Beastmen that should be it for roaming armies until the Chaos Invasion starts, any new horde factions that spawn shouldn't start at war with you, which will give you an opportunity to deal with them before they start making like Benny Hill.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Started as wood elves, built up a couple of razed settlements, got some trade going, wiped out a couple of other elves that went hostile right off the bat, and the beastmen showed up with like, six full stacks around turn 20. I actually might have been okay because they seemed to want to attack with two stacks at a time, but in the first engagement one of my two lords was just a bit too far away and didn't get into the battle.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Beastmen minicampaign haa given me new appreciation for magic, which I never really used until now. Even basic disruption works wonders. Too bad that you can't knock people off walls. A funny things with Warscape happened when I was defending kyoto with a bunch of mortars (expanded artillery mod for FOTS) and I had melee units force a mostly melee force on those tiny bridges into the inner castle. What I found is the model collision kind of crumbles even with the extra work they put into it from the nothingness that was Empire's. So, when a mortar hit the bridges, 50 men would be sent in the air, fall off the bridge, and drown in the moat below along with the dead from impact. That, and overarcing shooting with sharpshooters and the bravery of melee levies saved me from a four stack army.

• Options
    I finished the Wood Elf mini campaign. At the end I had like 12 full armies stomping around.

Tried starting a new campaign with Wurzzag, savage orcs. Didn't manage to capture a single settlement, enemies were running around everywhere so I felt I couldn't leave my capital. I'll try another faction tonight, maybe Empire. I've played through their campaign before, but that was before new heroes and spells and units were added.

This discussion has been closed.