As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [steam] thread: Enter at your backlog's risk!

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I started playing Starbound on the laptop. I have no idea what I'm doing here. Seems fun.
    Its very fun.

Just be prepared to have your soul leave your body and become a dark void of silent rage and anger the moment you lose all the resources you've been gathering for three hours a million miles down.

Fuuuuuccckkk.. :x

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I've been minding my own business for a while, for some reason @Maguano decided to add another JRPG to my backlog.
    Thank you very much for I am Setsuna. It looks pretty special and of course I'd only noticed it because of this thread.
    cCI6TvV.jpg

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I always seem to hit a wall when even i play starbound.

Anyone playing it with steam controller?

• Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    steam thread has no reasons

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I just bought Saints Row 2 for the PS3 because ... um... because... reasons! Yes, that's it. Reasons.

My poor Steam backlog. I think I heard it cry itself to sleep last night... :(

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I'm sorry.

I mean, I like SR2 and all, but gameplay wise, it's only slightly better than SR1. SR3 at least plays better.

• Options
    ...And I just died to the exact same pitfall that killed me and caused me to lose everything last time.

Goddammit.

• Options
    I'm sorry.

I mean, I like SR2 and all, but gameplay wise, it's only slightly better than SR1. SR3 at least plays better.

Eh, I *loved* SR2... still my favorite of the series. I just don't want to go through the hassle of getting the PC version running right again.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I just think the SR series is a bit stiff to control. Especially SR1/2. Either running around or just driving. Maybe it's better on PC or even PS3, but the Xbox version was rather awkward to play.

Definitely the better game for a world to play in and activities to do, though.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I started playing Starbound on the laptop. I have no idea what I'm doing here. Seems fun.
    Its very fun.

Just be prepared to have your soul leave your body and become a dark void of silent rage and anger the moment you lose all the resources you've been gathering for three hours a million miles down.

Just play on casual. Not really a game that gains much by being more punishing, imo.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Its very fun.

Just play on casual. Not really a game that gains much by being more punishing, imo.
    Ehhh. I kind of like it, I kind of don't.

I'm considering modding it out but sticking with it at the moment.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I'm sorry.

Eh, I *loved* SR2... still my favorite of the series. I just don't want to go through the hassle of getting the PC version running right again.

See, consoles do have their charms. :wink:

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    It wasn't really a good idea for me to Marathon the Walking Deads 1st and 2nd season in the state I'm in right now, but damn they are some fine narrative experiences. Plus that's another two games off my backlog.

Walking Dead S1 was much easier on a PC with controller, as opposed to tapping away on an iPad (where I originally played it).

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    I'm sorry.

That and the big comfy recliner across the room from the big TV... Netbook handy for Steam chatting...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I'm sorry.

That and the big comfy recliner across the room from the big TV... Netbook handy for Steam chatting...

You're getting it :wink:

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    10ZeJ7c.jpg

Just beat War for the Overworld.

It definitely has load of nostalgia for Dungeon Keeper seeing as it is the spiritual successor. You're back to lord over your evil domain with the wonderful Richard Ridings at your side. He'll guide you in the conquest of the titular Overworld as you face the forces of the empire and traitorous other Underlords that get in the way of your evil schemes.

The Good: You'll carve out your dungeon from the cavernous earth and build various rooms to attract minions through gateways to do nefarious functions. Libraries attract warlocks, barracks attract gnarlings and so on. Some extra features for better micromanagement of your dungeon have been added like flagging certain important minions to ignore war banner calls as well as control groups to better focus your evil armies. Still, a well stocked dungeon will mostly take care of itself, the imps marvelous in their task of stomping out any lumps. New tabs and functions have also been added allowing you to gain alternate functions from dungeon keeper utility (i.e. restore earth to pretty up your dungeon or plug holes), various potions you can brew to various affects, and sanctuaries to charge diabolical rituals. There are also Titans, super units to help defend or destroy encroaching enemies, allowing to spearhead bastions your rabble cannot otherwise reliably take on.

The Bad: There is a sort of tech tree (The Veins of Evil) added and while I can see its function in multiplayer, its placement in singleplayer was rather odd. You unlock points (Sins) at your library, but often I'd have more points than I could spend and the new things I'd unlock could feel haphazard at times. While the dungeon takes care of itself, it still has the same problems as previous Dungeon Keeper games that things might actually be screwed up and you'll have no notion till it's far too late. Or conflicted AI--though usually behaved when a war banner was down. Minions are back to being instantly dropped without worry about fall recovery (ala DK1) but when fighting enemy Underlords could exhibit the problem of a fleshy combatant vs an AI on how well they can micro. Still, I only needed to retry a few missions a second time and the overall campaign clocks in at around 13 hours. Unfortunately it seems a bit short and that they should have spaced it out more or had more interesting side missions. Also the ending is kind of lackluster.

TLDR:
    Overall I'd give it an 8/10. A must have for fans of the old Dungeon Keeper but still a number of flaws remain. But I'd also recommend Dungeons 2 for a potential evolution on how these dungeon managements could be played.

Karoz on
  • Options
    Have there been any games that took on hitman's formula and did a good job of it?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Just finished Stories: Path of Destinies

Story

The story follows Reynaro, a fox pirate who retires prior to the story starting. Then a few years later the previously good emperor turns evil and starts performing all kinds of atrocities like ritual sacrifice, genocide, and all that fun stuff in a bid to summon the Lost Gods, who were exiled by the first emperor. Part of this involves seeking out magic books and taking them while torching the libraries and librarians. The story begins with one such librarian asking Reynaro to look after her son, who has one of the magical books, and get him to safety. The boy is a little shit though and demands that you take him to the Rebellion so he can fight the Empire. Of course he refuses to listen to Reynaro and gets himself vaporized by a Beholder by running face-first into its eye beam. It's hilarious. Anyway, Reynaro takes the book and flees. Once he's safely away he decides to open it to see what all the fuss is about and that's where the story begins.

Basics

First off, this game is basically Radiant Historia lite, where you make choices based on events and see how they turn out. Unlike Radiant Historia though, you have to take each path to the end and must start over a new one from the beginning. However, there are a total of five stages per path, with the stages varying depending on the choices you're making. Also there's a narrator who likes making quips based on what you're doing. The exception to the same stage syndrome though is the final stage, which is always the same one. It doesn't take long to run through these stages if you're really pushing it. The longest part of it is when you can't skip past some dialogue you've heard ten times already, though most of it is skippable so it's not too bad. I started this game and finished the "true" ending in 7 hours, but there are 25 total stories to go through and I only did about 7 of those, including the true ending. As you complete endings you learn a new Truth that unlocks new options on the path, such as finding out that a mystical artifact of an evil banished god is--gasp--evil and will corrupt anyone who uses it. This also changes up some of the dialogue, which can be noticed since when a Truth-changed dialogue shows up it's marked by that Truth's special symbol. You need all four Truths in order to unlock the path to the true ending, which won't take long at all.

Gameplay

The game plays somewhat like Diablo except with a whole lot of isolated arenas. You enter a room, the doors get locked, then enemies teleport in and you have to murder them all by spamming the attack button while watching for exclamation marks to appear over an enemy, indicating they're about to attack. Then you press the stick towards them, hit attack, and will automatically counter their move as you zip around slashing everybody. You use floating platforms a lot in addition to a hookshot sort of thing to pull yourself to distant poles for travel, with a dash as well, though not too distant.Once I got the Frost sword upgrade I could mow through a crowd of ten enemies in about five seconds by freezing them and shattering the ice. The time might be extended a bit with the optional paths though. These are marked by glowing gates of different colors, corresponding to the four elemental swords you can make. You start with healing and then can make fire, void, and ice, each with their own special magical ability. The game makes a big deal about how you can upgrade these swords to make them stronger using the crafting materials (ore and elemental blocks) but each sword only gets upgraded once, leaving you swimming in crafting materials and nothing to use them on. This also shows up in the gems, which grant special abilities when you slot them (3 at once maximum) into your gauntlet. You can get one gem from each rare chest, often locked behind the glowing colored doors, and if you get a gem you already have then it gets upgraded in level (up to Level 3). However, you won't get duplicates and those chests are common once you have all four swords, meaning you unlock Level 3 for everything very fast.

Personal Thoughts

The game's pretty good for its price point. Radiant Historia of course pulls off the whole time travel thing way better, since it has the option to replay particular events piecemeal rather than restarting the whole timeline every single blunder. I particularly liked some of the narrator's quips, which range the gamut from pop culture reference when you get killed to random "notes" that Reynaro "finds" on various moving platforms ("Take the goat across first.")The limited crafting and loot is disappointing, but that's just me talking and not a strike against the game. The stories are interesting to see how they all play out, though the true ending is less piecing together all the Truths in one grand maneuver and a lot more try a grand plan, fuck it up, clean up best as possible and hope for the best.

All in all I think I'd recommend it, since at $15 dollerydoos you could probably do a whole lot worse.

Thanks again to @akajaybay for gifting me this game!

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    1. Wait wait wait there is is a Starship Tropers 2!?
    2. I learned a few things this weekend: a) Smores are better when stupid Hershey chocolate is replaced by a Reese's peanut butter cup, b) Arches National Park is proof positive that rocks can be beautiful, c) When it's 109 degrees it doesn't matter if it's a dry heat - get your ass inside, and d) A traffic jam when you're only a few miles from home after driving for 9 hours is the absolute worst.
    3. It is legitimately hard to unplug for a weekend - I never got the shakes, but I was close!

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »

There's a Starship Troopers 3.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I must track these masterpieces down.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »

...this is like finding out there's a Tremors 5 all over again.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I'm sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j2gVSGVpqg

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    trfy3z6anecv.png

Each week for 4 weeks there will be a different game up for grabs. The winner of the game will be selected at random from all of the submissions, but my favourite three will also get points. 3 for first, 2 for second, and 1 for third. Whoever has the most points at the end of the 4 weeks will get a game of their choosing for $30 or less (in Maple Bucks). If you have no interest in the game (or already own it) that is currently being given away but still want to make a submission to have a chance at the "grand" prize just let me know with your submission. If there is a tie I will just randomly select a winner.

Week 2: Sunday, July 24 - Saturday, July 30 (Midnight Saskatchewan time)

The Second game up for grabs is:
    mtu3wd82y65e.jpg

To enter this week's giveaway submit the creepiest or scariest thing (or situation) you can think of getting trapped inside of.

@iolo was the first to decipher my complex riddle, I'll be sending you your copy of INSIDE within the next 24 hours.

• Options
    edited July 2016

And even a Starship Troopers 4.

Starship Troopers 6 is probably out there somewhere.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Mispost, ignore.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    Sitting here wishing the next Subnautica update was out and looking at Farcry: Primal which is 45% off on GMG. Tempting but I'd have to install Uplay. Ew.

Or I could just save my money for No Man's Sky which will be out in a couple weeks. Full price though...oof.

• Options

And even a Starship Troopers 4.

Starship Troopers 6 is probably out there somewhere.

There's an anime as well based upon the original novel. The bugs are......80s.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Because FUCK spiders.
    0EFC5CA7D88F4C0DA2F98EC0187450BFDED24B93

Each of those red squares is a lock on for a missile with my laser designator.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular

2 was a bunch of crazy people who had access to a sound stage and the children from the first film, what the hell was 3?

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »

2 was a bunch of crazy people who had access to a sound stage and the children from the first film, what the hell was 3?

3 was an attempt to recapture the satirical theme of the first movie only using religion instead of nationalism.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    With Brigmore Witches done, I'm ready to finally put Dishonored to bed. I beat the original campaign on low chaos, so it only seemed right to do the same here. Rot in Van Gogh hell, rose-covered-bitch.

I liked that there were a few other non-lethal items to use (stun mine, coughing powder) and that Daud's Teleport paused time when you were aiming (it feels a bit more fair that way). I must again state that I'm not sure the game's my favorite ever, but it's definitely a high quality game and worth playing.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

3 was an attempt to recapture the satirical theme of the first movie only using religion instead of nationalism.
    Isn't there also an animated one?

• Options
    edited July 2016

That also pointed out the significant issue with bringing a psychic being to a top secret facility.

anyway, here is a link to the first episode of the anime on youtube. AH laserdisk.

Anyhew, I'm on the final level of duke nukem: Manhatten project and less gravity is harder to manage.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Lordy me, the dragon is going to be the first wall I have in Salt and Sanctuary, isn't it. I don't really have equipment suited to surviving fire damage. And losing a percentage of your gold every time you die is a pain. I'm not a huge fan of this dual currency.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/15740/discussions/0/412447613572972443/

Looks like Oddworld: Munch's Odysee has gotten a new port that's fixed a lot of the issues the game has always had, and has a few tweaked improvements too.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Not really Steam related, but if you can complete the demo for Trials of the Blood Dragon with 15 or fewer faults on uPlay by July 31st, you get the full game for free. That is a neat idea, even if the game is apparently not very good. It'd be nice for a company to bring a promo like that to a game on Steam.

• Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Not really Steam related, but if you can complete the demo for Trials of the Blood Dragon with 15 or fewer faults on uPlay by July 31st, you get the full game for free. That is a neat idea, even if the game is apparently not very good. It'd be nice for a company to bring a promo like that to a game on Steam.

I tried that yesterday but it just let me play the first 2 levels and then asked me to buy the game

looking at that link it says they have been having technical difficulties but I didn't really enjoy the 2 levels I played so I'll give this one a miss I think

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Finished Amazing Spider-Man! The game was honestly pretty great, all except the annoyance of constant crashes (known issue, no patch, no fix). The swinging and fighting were pretty solid, and though it didn't do for Spidey what Arkham did for Batman (i.e. make you feel 100% like the hero you are playing), it was a good 90% there. The web slinging felt right, the combat system had just enough different from Arkham that it felt not quite like those games. The stages, though, were annoying in that you had to play back through them to find any collectibles you missed, instead of being able to Metroidvania around to backtrack. I would say with the crashes and a few minor missed opportunities, it was just short of greatness.

It also made me realize that Sony doesn't really want to make Spider-Man films; their movie plots work much better as the impetus for 30 hour long multiple boss video games.

Thanks to @vamen for the web-slinging fun!

Glad you enjoyed it. 2 is more of the same but I think I liked 1 more.

If only they would port Web of Shadows, my favorite SM game, to Steam. It has problems as well but it's my favorite web swinging since Spiderman 2. They did SO good with the animations and the variety of them.

Does 2 have the same crashing issues as the first one? I like what appears to be some more classic characters showing up in the second game, but those crashes, oof.

@Kalnaur I honestly don't know. If there is a crashing issue in 2, I did not run into it. I played through the whole game without an incident. Granted it's a very short game (Steam played tells me 7.5 hours) so maybe I was lucky =)

EDIT - Also, speaking of Marvel stuff, Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2 are coming to PC - which I ASSUME means Steam - Tuesday. If you never got to play these on console, do yourself a favor and look into them. They are both pretty fantastic.
    Turns out their prices are pretty insane though. Great games when they launched back in like 2006. But it's $59.99 for a bundle of both of them. Crazy. As much as I enjoy them, I'll for sure be waiting on a sale.

EDIT 2 - I'd not heard of any of these 5 games, but they all look fun: http://www.pcgamer.com/new-steam-games/

vamen on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Spiderman Web of Shadows was indeed fantastic. It did come to pc but it was before Steam and online digital distribution was a thing.

Definitely going to look into the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games, never got around to playing them back then. Probably wait for a sale next year. Look at me, being all responsible and shit!

Edit: Wow Swordy looks brilliantly fun!

Big Classy on
This discussion has been closed.