As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Even Sicker Tat, Brah

vamenvamen Registered User regular
edited July 2016 in Social Entropy++
Our last tattoo thread just hit 100 pages today and was thus shut down. MortalToaster, the creator of the last thread seems to have been awol for a few years so I figured I'd make a new one for us.

On that note, the tattoo I was designing this week that some of you gave feedback on is completed, woot! Thanks for all your advice/suggestions/etc.

VykRP9e.jpg

denihilist on

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    That

Is

RAD

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's sick. Iconography is fun.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    the little voyager is a fantastic touch

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I love that tattoo.

I've thought before about similar designs but don't think I could do one. But that looks rad

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    That's rad.

I really want a full scale stylised orrery going through my shoulder and part of my back but I just don't know exactly how it should look. Besides that I want it to be colourful.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I want a tattoo

But I do not have anywhere near the money, at all.

Also I can never settle on what I want

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Gah its been too long since my last tattoo. I'm jonsing for a new one

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Our last tattoo thread just hit 100 pages today and was thus shut down. MortalToaster, the creator of the last thread seems to have been awol for a few years so I figured I'd make a new one for us.

On that note, the tattoo I was designing this week that some of you gave feedback on is completed, woot! Thanks for all your advice/suggestions/etc.

VykRP9e.jpg

well, at least they'll know where to put you back after you've been abducted by aliens

"Hey Dave, check this out, this guy did his own intake form right here on his arm! How cool is that?!"

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    That turned out great dude!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I'm very lazily designing my first tattoo - something based on the greek letter phi.

Haven't decided where to put it yet. Plus I'm currently out of shape due to health issues, I'm hoping to slim down a bit before I get it done.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Vamen, do you think you could include a link to the old thread in the op? It may be useful.

• Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    Just updated the OP with the link

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Ah sorry, I was going to link the old thread but I didn't know if that was, for some reason, frowned upon or not. I don't make threads often! Thanks for updating it, Denihilist.

Much appreciated guys and gals, I'm pumped about how it turned out and I'm glad you like it as well!
    I redesigned it quite a bit in the last few hours, and I loved honovere's Voyager suggestion so much I added that. It was too small to look exactly like I designed (http://i.imgur.com/SmP38qA.jpg) it but I still dig how it looks =). With such ittle detailed, it was a really delicate balance to make it NOT look like a hypodermic needle or a stickman with a hat and still look like the Voyager.

KalTorak - I know what you mean. Looking at mine, all I can think is "my arms look terrible." Thankfully I just recently started with a personal trainer twice a week (and he's a bad ass) so hopefully they will tone up quickly =).

vamen on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Actually, that's a question I have - should I be concerned about skin/body changes when deciding placement? I don't go through huge changes between when I'm working out and when I'm not, but I don't know if even small changes will affect things.

My wife is also planning her first, and is hesitant to put it somewhere it might get stretched when she's pregnant.

• Options
    I've wondered that myself. I have to imagine it is an issue. All my tattoos are in places that aren't likely to change much...even if I put on muscle it shouldn't affect them a lot. I can totally understand why your wife would be worried about pregnancy stretching tattoos.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I got a 1:1 scale ruler tatted across my abdomen to discourage me from gaining weight.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    SkuntySkunty Registered User regular
    Booked in for a second session next Friday, looking forward to seeing designs ahead of time as I feel the artist is probably less concerned about amendments knowing I'm on board for the long haul.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Actually, that's a question I have - should I be concerned about skin/body changes when deciding placement? I don't go through huge changes between when I'm working out and when I'm not, but I don't know if even small changes will affect things.

My wife is also planning her first, and is hesitant to put it somewhere it might get stretched when she's pregnant.

So yeah, tattoos stretch with your skin and if the skin stretches a lot, the way the tattoo warps is unpredictable.

Generally it follows the same rule as scars and birthmark s in that the whole thing grows in proportion give or take. Lines will get fatter and less defined.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I need to get my old lion tattoo touched up soon
    The color is okay, it's naturally faded after 9 years but it's at least uniform, but I want to get the black lines re-inked
    The text on the scroll has become... well, not especially readable anymore, and since I imagine doing text on top of text would start to get messy I wonder if just blacking out the scroll entirely would be better

I'll edit in a picture of what I'm talking about later so it doesn't sound so cryptic

edit:
    yi2waa0.jpg?1

That was the night I got it, and I have no other pictures of it because I have not since asked any friend to just take a picture of my back please and thank you. The words I might as well have inked over, because while both sides of my family hail from Scotland, and we used to be royalty, and I think that's a cool fact, it's not especially relevant to me on a daily basis, and I'm American, and not walking around embodying some kind of Scottish ideal or yelling at people about the English - well, not for that reason at least

And while "no man provokes me with impunity" looks cool in Latin and may be a good motto for a country, it's also not exactly applicable to the way I've lived my life, hmm, ever
    I don't put my fist upside the head of everyone who talks some shit to me! So they're good words but they're not my words, and since I don't know of any words that are mine I think it's best to just have a solid color ribbon there
    The lion itself is good work and I have no desire to cover it or even work it into a larger design, though I'll consider freshening up the red

And this is all beside the point of a new idea I'm kicking around which will be mostly if not entirely black
    Stay tuned for that? I guess

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Could you get it blacked out and do some white ink with a more personal Latin motto written?

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    I've thought about white ink! I don't know much about it or know anyone who has it though so I've been unsure as to how well it covers dark ink
    I'll keep looking into it though!

• Options
    Also it's kinda funny to me now that I have a red lion tattoo and also a Keith av/sig

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I have a friend with a white ink text tattoo and it looks great

That being said, his skin is a very dark pigment so your mileage may vary

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    White ink, I am reasonably sure, cannot be added on to. It goes on skin ok But can't be added to skin with existing colours as the pigment doesn't stay particularly well.

• Options
    Hmm, thanks for the tip!
    I guess I'll have to find an artist and go for a consultation either way

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Keith is definitely better than Lance.

But EVERYONE is better than Sven.

It is known.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Going to get my old back tattoo covered up tomorrow! After wanting to be rid of it for over a decade, it's happening! This is going to be my biggest tattoo by far. Curious how long it will take. He made no mention of multiple sessions, but I AM booked for literally the entire day. Granted part of that is my GF also getting a tattoo but hers will be an hour, two tops.

vamen on
  • Options
    And wow, so that's what people mean when they say tattoos can hurt. None of my other ones have been bad, but this one was rough.
    Starts at lower back and goes up between shoulder blades. The tall tree is right along the spine.
    rh7jdGY.jpg

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Care to share was your old tattoo was? I'd love to see the before, because the after is pretty awesome.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I can't seem to find any bigger photos of it, so you can't really see much, but this is the original. You can definitely see the shape and elements of the original in the new one when you know what to look for.

tAtdNUL.jpg

vamen on
  • Options
    Mysterious FoxMysterious Fox Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    And wow, so that's what people mean when they say tattoos can hurt. None of my other ones have been bad, but this one was rough.

Yeah. When I had my back done, it was the top, say, third of the cheeks on up. The spine wasn't great, but getting the tailbone worked on was some of the worst pain i've felt. Right up there with the sternum (for me, at least). The cheeks were odd; the pain traveling down through my thighs to my knees was an interesting sensation.

• Options
    Yeah...he started high and right away I thought, "I'll be glad when he gets lower so it's less painful" and man was I wrong about that. Low was waaaay worse.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking about getting some kind of ouroboros or Phoenix.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    After more than a year and a half of dithering about, I've found an artist I like and booked a consultation for late September. Which gives me time to sketch some embellishments to the original design. It's a Family Crest, but hell if I can figure out how copyright works on heraldry.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/03/Clan_member_crest_badge_-_Clan_Macnab.svg/2000px-Clan_member_crest_badge_-_Clan_Macnab.svg.png

Yeah... definitely going to draw up a version with fewer of those ultra thick lines for my very first tattoo.

Fun fact, the device on the MacNab crest is the severed head of the MacNeish chief, circa 1522. That asshole waylaid the caravan that was bringing provisions for my ancestor's Christmas Feast, and 500 years later we're still apparently pissed about it. The MacNeishes thought they could raid with impunity, because they lived on an island in Loch Earn and owned the only boat on the lake. But on Christmas Eve, the four sons of the MacNab chief hauled their own boat out of Loch Tay and carried it on their shoulders over 10 miles of rough terrain in knee-deep snow. They caught the MacNeishes drunk on their stolen supplies in the middle of the night, and the four of them came very close to eradicating the rival clan entirely.

The Motto translates to "Let Fear be Far from All", which is a slightly more palatable sentiment in a modern context than "Fuck Clan MacNeish Forever", I suppose. Overall, it's about remembering my father, who died when I was an infant, and left behind a ton of family history paraphernalia that served as one of the primary ways I connected with him growing up. And also because it's Metal as Hell.

Edit: Changed from an embedded image to a link, because of file size.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    dunno if you want any colourwork, but a friend of mine just got a tattoo done to honour the birth o his son. It was a combination clan crest, celtic knot, the baby's name and dob, and the family tartan. it looks way way way cooler than it sounds. but the McNab tartan looks kinda neat, so you may consider incorporating it in. maybe. maybe not.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    dunno if you want any colourwork, but a friend of mine just got a tattoo done to honour the birth o his son. It was a combination clan crest, celtic knot, the baby's name and dob, and the family tartan. it looks way way way cooler than it sounds. but the McNab tartan looks kinda neat, so you may consider incorporating it in. maybe. maybe not.

That's on my list of things to discuss, yeah. Definitely going to start with the line work though, find out if I'm a complete wuss first before committing to colors.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    So! Hi.
    I am wanting to get my first tattoo. I am nervous. But I have a sort of idea in mind.
    I'm from Louisiana. I've been through some floods and some hurricanes and all that. This past flood thing has been rough but our family is holding strong. I'm proud of us. I'm proud of our state. So I was thinking that along those lines, I'd get a tattoo to show that we endure the waters and they make us stronger.

So what better than the water nation from avatar!

I was thinking of something very similar to this
    y21m3ewou5ei.jpg

But without the bits in the crescent moon part.

Also maybe have some characters underneath it. Can't find the symbols the show would use for the word Southern, but I found the ones for water tribe. Unsure about that part. But I figure black for the design and maybe like a watercolor splash sort of thing for the background?
    Thoughts? Things I am missing?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    How about a tattoo that is some floaties with the Louisiana flag on them?

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I like that but am unsure how well a pelican would read.

A suggestion was made to have a fleur de lis and an outline of the state which may work?

Not sure about sizing. Think I want it on my calf

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    you could change the bits inside the moon to be more relevant to you, like stylized water birds and delta creatures