As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Financial Assitance for Chinese Student at Boston College?

Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships)Registered User regular
edited July 2016 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a Chinese friend who is pursuing her dream of getting her degree in the states, enrolled in the business program at Boston College. Her family was covering most of her tuition (she's already working as much as she's allowed to on a student visa), but due to complications back home, that may no longer be possible, maybe as soon as this fall. She's already talking to the Financial Aid office to see what suggestions they can make, but being a foreign student closes off a lot of options. I've been out of the tuition game long enough that I have little relevant to contribute, but was hoping that petitioning the wisdom of the internet might bring some useful information to light.

So if anyone has recommendations for financial aid options to check out for a foreign student with a 3.6 GPA, I'd love to hear them!

*edit* Fixed the school name. Oops. :P

Gabriel_Pitt on

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Has she looked into scholarships or grants that may be available from government or private sources in China to go to school here?

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    ceres wrote: »
    Has she looked into scholarships or grants that may be available from government or private sources in China to go to school here?

I really don't know of much a born citizen could do with a 3.6 GPA beyond loans and financial aid. Maybe she could find a lender in China?

Edit: Financial Aid covers a whole lot of stuff though, that wasn't meant to be defeatist. She may miss out on subsidized Stafford Loans and such (which maybe she wont!) but I'd wait to see what her advisers say.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I work with chinese national students at my school in Florida, the Chinese Government has a large number of grants for those seeking education abroad. That would be the best* place for her to look. Outside of academic fellowships and teaching assistantship positions there are very few aid opportunities in the US for international students and she will have difficulty qualifying for loans with US lenders.

* Best here is very relative. Most grants through the Chinese education system require returning home after, though. Often with very specific timetables.

Enc on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Also - just check out all sorts of scholarships online and with the Boston Chinese community, as there's often plenty of grants and money available to apply for, regardless of citizenship status.
    Are transfers an option at all? BC is a really expensive school.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    She actually just transferred IN to BC - it was a big thing for her. Life is funny sometimes.

I appreciate people's advice - yeah, the problems with pursuing most options back home are that they want you going back to China, and she wants to stay here post graduation. I was hoping that there was something that due to unfamiliarity and inexperience she might be over looking, because hey, easy solutions are easy!

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    She actually just transferred IN to BC - it was a big thing for her. Life is funny sometimes.

I appreciate people's advice - yeah, the problems with pursuing most options back home are that they want you going back to China, and she wants to stay here post graduation. I was hoping that there was something that due to unfamiliarity and inexperience she might be over looking, because hey, easy solutions are easy!

Don't graduates normally have to move back for a period of time anyway? I mean, you can't just stay undocumented once your school visa runs out unless you want to work as a dishwasher or something under the table.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »

Don't graduates normally have to move back for a period of time anyway? I mean, you can't just stay undocumented once your school visa runs out unless you want to work as a dishwasher or something under the table.

That period of time you reference is not usually an extended period to work in your home country, though. It's like, go back, visit your family and the embassy for a new visa, then go back.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »

There's also a lot that can happen in the interim that changes the situation - get married, line up a job with a company that wants you enough to give you a chance to transition over to a work visa, find a position in another country, etc.