As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What toy is this?

CambiataCambiata Commander ShepardThe likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
A friend of mine is trying to find out what toy this is:

rlGpEDH.jpg

Anyone know? My Google fu has failed.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Anything written on the bottom of the feet? Assuming it still has feet.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Anything written on the bottom of the feet? Assuming it still has feet.

Unfortunately all we have is this picture, it's not a toy he has in his hands.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Don't have a name yet exactly but I do have an interesting link. http://www.ecrater.com/p/22517561/wrestler-with-red-mohawk-and-tights-action Is that what he is looking for or is the name the whole deal? I will keep looking either way because it is amazingly familiar to me.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    He's hoping for a name or whatever will help him to get another toy like the one in the picture (same coloration and detail level). He says he's trying to help get a replacement toy for a kid, so while that link is close it's still not quite it.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    This link makes me think out might be a generic toy they used the mood for on a bunch of molds.

Edit: hmm, PA blocks pinterest links?

Search WCW ECW generic wrestler keychain.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    If you never figure out what it is, The Stone Protectors would make a reasonable substitute.

hqdefault.jpg

• thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Looks like it's just a generic wrestler:

http://www.ecrater.com/p/22517561/wrestler-with-red-mohawk-and-tights-action

edit: Other links just go to generic wrestler, so it was probably just something made without a specific brand.

thanimations on

edit: Other links just go to generic wrestler, so it was probably just something made without a specific brand.

Gnizmo posted that link too. My friend examined it, and he thinks that link is to a knock off of the toy he's looking for. His rationale was the level of detail in the purple toy, versus the loss of detail on the one at the link. Things like the missing vein bulge in the arm, the less nuanced colar bone, and the abs being not quite as detailed. I didn't agree with him at first but when he pointed to both images side by side I saw what he meant. So if the one at the link is a knock-off, there has to be some series of toys that it's knocking off, right?

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Gnizmo posted that link too. My friend examined it, and he thinks that link is to a knock off of the toy he's looking for. His rationale was the level of detail in the purple toy, versus the loss of detail on the one at the link. Things like the missing vein bulge in the arm, the less nuanced colar bone, and the abs being not quite as detailed. I didn't agree with him at first but when he pointed to both images side by side I saw what he meant. So if the one at the link is a knock-off, there has to be some series of toys that it's knocking off, right?

Maybe, maybe not.

Generic molds are reused and change hands.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Aioua wrote: »

Maybe, maybe not.

Generic molds are reused and change hands.

Yes but the thing is that on examination, that toy in the link is clearly not using the same mold as the purple toy above. That's the point.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    A friend of mine is trying to find out what toy this is:

rlGpEDH.jpg

Anyone know? My Google fu has failed.

Hm; this is an interesting one.

It's a mold used for a generic knock-off brand wrestler, both for figs & keychains. I can't say for sure, but I think the actual wrestler inspiring that mold is One Man Gang.

(n-not that I would know anything about pro wrestling mind you. Nope. A... a friend told me this!)

There's no packaging for these generic figures, just clear plastic bags, so there's no official branding or name convention for the line - just some serial numbers ('TAS000915' is the number associated with the keychain version of the fig you posted; I can't find a serial number for the more posable fig).

The only information & availability comes from resellers, not the manufacturer or distributor - between that and the fairly outdated fig design, I think it's a good guess that the toy itself is no longer in production.

With Love and Courage
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Oh, and lighting the @Athenor signal, just in the off chance he's an owner of one of these.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Sorry, not my particular sphere of collecting.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular

Yes but the thing is that on examination, that toy in the link is clearly not using the same mold as the purple toy above. That's the point.

It's quite possible it's the same figure, but they just re-released it later. Either as a cheaper and less quality run, or as a higher quality one.... just depends which is older. The small details are certainly different on the two, but they are obviously the same figure in every other way.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I get a real Toxic Avengers fig vibe from it for some reason, but looking thru their roster and not finding him, what other cartoons were around that theme/era of colorful punk dystopia?

He's giving off a real vibe of that era of cartoons

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Zapper400Zapper400 Registered User new member
    I had a toy simular to him but he was white with blue tights and the same red mohawk. I guess that's his illegitimate brother.

• GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Kinda looks like bebop before he mutated

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
This discussion has been closed.