As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp] Fury of Dracula 3rd Edition - Week 3, Thursday, Day

DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular
edited December 2016 in Critical Failures
gw09_feature.jpg
Eight years ago Mina Harker and her companions returned home from Castle Dracula believing that they had definitively banished the vampire Count’s evil presence from the earth. They were wrong. The King of the Un-Dead has now risen again to menace mankind. Throughout Europe wolves are behaving strangely, superstitious peasants are growing fearful, and mysterious deaths are proliferating. Tormented by uncanny dreams and haunting visions of nighttime travel and drinking blood, Mina has rejoined her former companions, now even more determined to find Count Dracula and destroy him once and for all.

In Fury of Dracula you undertake their perilous quest, hunting Dracula across Europe and battling him wherever he is revealed. Or you take on the role of the legendary Count Dracula himself as he seeks to thwart these pursuers and plunge the entire continent into an unrelenting and evil darkness.

Rules
Reference
FAQ

Character sheets:
Lord Godalming
y0cyp29oe3l3.png
John Seward
7bnk4e3t6mif.png
Van Helsing
fvnrtwta53rm.png
Mina Harker
6odo5ezmteal.png
Dracula
y9ajcnsq3fr2.png

Map reference
0a3q9pdv2i9l.png

Dracula's combat cards
ynjyl58jt5na.png
e5jm08s5f22m.png
zljtw3c2ng7s.png
6yil0ykh6a0h.png
166oua06nkjf.png
38eh1oypqpiv.png
lt53eji4asfr.png

Communication rules

All discussion must be in the thread. If you share your hand content, Dracula must hear it. Exceptions are trades - open 3-sided private messaging thread (you, me, your trade partner) to discuss and perform a trade. You may share only item cards and tickets during the trade, not events. In case of Van Helsing action - you may share events only, not items and tickets.

Sign up if you wish to play. State which side do you prefer (Dracula or Hunters) and if you wish to use advanced rules (lairs, power cards, rumors).

Daemonis on

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Draculas all over the place, man.

I'd be willing to play either side and use whatever rules; I have no experience with 3E though I hear it's mostly an improvement.

• Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Let's stake him!
    Only played 2nd, but more than happy to try the new one...

• Options
    KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    I'll bring the jar of dirt.

I'm game for anything.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I'm in!

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I'd vote to include power cards, but have no strong opinions on lairs/rumors.

I'd also be willing to play either side.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
  • Options
    Added character sheets and map reference to the starting post. Need one more player so that everyone controls one hunter.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Fuck yes

This is one of those games I've been wanting to try for ages, but don't know anyone with interest and I didn't have enough info to make the inve$tment myself.

I probably shouldn't play Dracula first time. No clue or opinion about optional rules.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Ok, we have our lucky five :). I roll 1d100 for everyone, then sort ascending. The characters will be distributed in the order they mentioned in the starting post. MrBody will be switched with the previous player, if he gets Dracula.
    Geth roll 1d100 for Auralynx
    Geth roll 1d100 for Preda
    Geth roll 1d100 for Kirindal
    Geth roll 1d100 for Zombie Hero
    Geth roll 1d100 for MrBody

Auralynx:
    1d100 61 [1d100=61]
    Preda:
    1d100 69 [1d100=69]
    Kirindal:
    1d100 94 [1d100=94]
    Zombie Hero:
    1d100 37 [1d100=37]
    MrBody:
    1d100 81 [1d100=81]

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Zombie Hero = Lord Godalming
    Auralynx = John Seward
    Preda = Van Helsing
    MrBody = Mina Harker
    Kirindal = Dracula

I guess we use Power Cards, as noone objects. You may switch your characters if you wish.

I need some time to prepare the game.

Daemonis on
  • Options
    Rules suggest to place hunters this way: Lord Godalming(@Zombie Hero) is placed in Constanta, Dr. John Seward (@Auralynx) is placed in Marseilles, Mina Harker (@MrBody) is placed in Brussels, and Van Helsing (@Preda) is placed in Amsterdam. Please state if you wish to change the starting location. Then Dracula (@Kirindal) chooses his starting space.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Someone please check Lord Goldaming's privilege!

MrBody on
  • Options
    Meah, bad formatting of @'s. @Zombie Hero @Auralynx @Preda @MrBody then @Kirindal

• Options
    The suggested placement don't seem so effective to me, but we could try it this time...

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    It gives us a decent spread to try and find Dracula if he's in continental Europe, plus lets us use Mina's power on the first round without too much trouble. I've heard worse ones, but you could move me or Preda to like Prague and the other, plus Mina, a little further south without it doing any real harm.

Godalming may as well start near the castle as he's both the tough guy and the fast guy.

• Options
    Suggested positions
    fyty3qnbptau.png

• Options
    I like the option to use Mina's power early on. I'm not sure how i feel about being on the far side from everyone, but it's not the end of the world. I'm the fastest so it won't take me (relatively) long to get anywhere.

Steam
  • Options
    Depending on how things go, i'd like to eventually run in teams of two if we can manage that and stay on the trail. Not same cities or anything, but having the ability to have an ally rush over any time one of us stumbles into drac would be helpful.

Not sure if this means we change our start or just go with suggested.

Steam
  • Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Damn, missed it.
    Curse you, Dracula!!!
    8-)

Reserve

stever777 on
    Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    But of course, @stever777

• Options
    I have no clue! Either have Mina start in suggested or go with the majority opinion.

• Options
    Either my plan or the default one is probably ok to start. If we go default, someone (me?) really should go east to meet Godalming.

• Options
    Upon reading the advanced rules, I have to vote no for lairs/rumors. They seem very convoluted and I'm already shakey on how Dracula's trail/encounter track works without seeing it in action. Adding lairs to that is just going to catapult my confusion into the stratosphere.

I'm on the fence about powers. Is the game unbalanced towards the hunters without them? Is it boring for the Dracula player without them?

• Options
    So if I'm reading the rules right, we basically have a 21 (plus a couple) turn time limit to kill Dracula?

It seems like Mina should almost never be alone. Both for using her power and to keep her from being defeated by a single bite.

• Options
    Mina should always stay near another hunter. We should go with the standard setting. If it doesn't work we'' try different the next time.

• Options
    Looks like everyone agrees with the initial setup :) I gonna start the game :)

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Board state

Map
    fyty3qnbptau.png

Dracula life: 15
    Influence: 0
    Trail: Land
    Top event card: Dracula

Daemonis on
  • Options
    Communication rules

All discussion must be in the thread. If you share your hand content, Dracula must hear it. Exceptions are trades - open 3-sided private messaging thread (you, me, your trade partner) to discuss and perform a trade. You may share only item cards and tickets during the trade, not events. In case of Van Helsing action - you may share events only, not items and tickets.

• Options
    Lets start the 1st day! Hunters perform 1 action in order.
    Week 1, Mon, Day
    @Zombie Hero

• Options
    @MrBody do you want to use your power in Germany or France? Drac shouldn't be in any of the twos, but since we could choose...

• Options
    @Daemonis I think we need to know the top card of the event deck at all times (hunter or dracula card).

Is the only way Dracula can get event cards from the bottom of the deck when hunters supply at night?

• Options
    MrBody wrote: »
    @Daemonis I think we need to know the top card of the event deck at all times (hunter or dracula card).
    You will :) Currently it's Dracula's one as stated in the Border State post.
    Is the only way Dracula can get event cards from the bottom of the deck when hunters supply at night?
    There are some cards that let him do it, but the night supply is the most popular way :)

• Options
    Top card is drac's? Might as well get it out of the way.

Lord Godalming takes a Supply Action in (major city) Constanta

Wealth powers activate!

Steam
  • Options
    Lord Godalming draws 2 item cards. Dracula's event card is discarded.
    Top event card: Dracula

@Auralynx

• Options
    Do we want to keep gathering goodies or should I grab a train ticket for later, since it seems like they got rid of the dice-based train movement?

• Options
    I think train tickets are best purchased at night.

Steam
  • Options
    I like the idea of gearing up a little, so if we run into Drac we aren't totally empty handed, but I don't know. I only ever played once and was drac, and was revealed first turn by an event card.

Steam
  • Options
    Ok.

Supply in Marseilles

• Options
    I forget:

Is there an encounter card on Drac's starting location?

Steam
  • Options
    Dr. Seward draws 1 item card. Dracula's event is discarded.
    Top event card: Hunter

@Preda

• Options
    I forget:

Is there an encounter card on Drac's starting location?
    Nope. Starting location does not get an encounter.