As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Homestuck]: Turns out the ride NEVER ends

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    Here are some of my fav Undertale videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8APT7XURgZQ

I saw that one back in the day, but it's great to see it again. It really captures how much a journey Undertale is. There's not much filler, every place feels real and populated with distinct characters. Not many games pull that off so well (though, appropriately, Journey is one of them.)

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Oh, speaking of Undertale anniversary videos, here's one from an unlikely source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvDNZJCNwL8

The sad thing is that the Undertale geek in me immediately nitpicked the details of the cartoon, then came up with semi-plausible explanations for how they could have happened per the Undertale universe rules.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    spoilers for both undertale and steven universe

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    one of the all time great pesterlogs

• Options
    one of the all time great pesterlogs

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I love the little details in that one, too.
    Dave doesn't know how to spell "McConaughey", for instance

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i love that as far as john is concerned "having sex" and "getting married" are mutually inclusive events

• Options
    edited September 2016
    HOMESTUCK

We read froooooom Make Backup Computer. to [S.] ==> (Where they introduce Jade's land)
    I kind of really like how this whole Vriska/John thing has been progressing and i probably like Terezi/Dave's thing even more. They're all having really good interactions and I like how Terezi is pushing Dave to just fucking do things to help himself instead of being a better person in the future.

i absolutely could not stop laughing at Vriska falling in love with Nic Cage. Amazing.

i'm...worried about rose. super worried about rose? rose hon please stop conversing with dark gods that's not a good idea please stop

AlterniaBound was super cool!! I really liked all of the sprites, everything was super cute, and TEREZI'S DRAGON ROBE THING OH MY GOD!!!!!!

equius needs to quit being so goddamn horny all the time

UH JADE DOESN'T HAVE A DREAM SELF AND I'M VERY WORRIED ABOUT ALL THIS DARK GOD NONSENSE I HATE IT. Her removing all of her reminders was just...man she went from having so much to having nothing in the span of like, an hour. I'm glad Feferi kinda took care of her a bit, or at least tried to calm her down?

Holy fuck the Karkat/Jade memo. KARKAT REALLY DOES HATE HIMSELF DOESNT HE
    It's really good, all the memos from this time around were really good.

i cannot believe it took until the middle of 5.2 to get Jade in but we finally did it!! She made it!

OH BOY THIS WHOLE BEC NOIR THING SEEMS REAL FUCKING BAD. Like...Bec was basically a literal god? Karkat seemed to think that it was Jade that pushed Bec in there and that it's John's fault and man. There's a lot of confusion. Vriska is right though when she says that he's already there and that her actions effectively amount to nothing. And Bro and Davesprite are dead as fuck!

Also I'm glad John has his wind powers now. Or, did a wind thing. He did the one thing and I'm proud of him.

The Betgirl on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Good thing I decided to do some reading tonight as well, I'm just barely still ahead of you.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    This has got to be one of the funnest reading sessions we've done so far.

So much great stuff, the Karkat/John/Dave conversation is a definite highpoint.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    i love that as far as john is concerned "having sex" and "getting married" are mutually inclusive events

John is such a sweet, innocent boy.

I have a twitter.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Hey we read more! From ==> to Rise up Thief
    YO FUCK TAVROS THAT WEAK ASS STRAIGHT WHITE BOY TEXTS SENDING MOTHER FUCKER

The Betgirl on
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Speaking of which it's been raining podcasts lately!

Episode 16: Let Me Tell You About The Felt

ZwrZR53.gif
    As Luke and Ashley continue to wind their way through The Felt's mansion, more of its secrets are slowly exposed. Who is Lord English? What's the deal with Snowman? How is Spades Slick connected to Jack Noir? Along the way, Luke taunts Ashley with all the Homestuck Secrets he knows, and the two take a moment to present a very important PSA.

Alpha Episode 6: Let Me Tell You About Stuffed Bunnies

ULXTklO.gif
    Ashley and Molly return from their brief flirtation with fourth wall breaking to talk to more trolls, take some shortcuts and crash into Rose's house. Presents are opened, secret PTA meetings are held, questions are asked and big men have the answers.

Episode 17: Let Me Tell You About Salamanders

Ckcawbv.gif
    Dangit Ashley, way to scoop me on "Let Me Tell You About LOWAS"!

Ashley and I take our first, stumbling steps out into the Land of Wind and Shade. We learn about secret wizards, crumpled hats, and the sacred nature of frogs. Before we can even stop to catch our breath, Rose enters her own world, the Land of Light and Rain. As she fondly regards the Lisa Frank notebook she's been banished to, Dave and Jade get to work setting up Dave's session, and our friends in the distant future bask in the glow of the human emotion called friendship.

• Options
    i should really make up my mind whether those descriptions should be in first or third person

• Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    Immediately after posting, you realize that LMTYAHS descriptions should be in second person, to match most MSPA descriptive writing. A forum post soon after reinforces this subconscious decision.

• Options

Okay, this was funny, but really:

(I'm doing this from memory so I might end up leaving some things out, but it wasn't that many pages anyway)
    man the lower enemies having Bec powers is real bad.

BOY THIS WHOLE THING WITH DAVE DOUBLE SERVER-ING SEEMS BAD but they don't really have any other options at the moment? Everything I kinda flip out about usually ends up being nothing though.

So... The only way to go god tier is to have a dream self. Jade already lost hers, Rose is planning a suicide mission with hers, Dave seems to be unwilling to get the job done, and John got tricked into getting himself killed on his quest bed to ascend. This seems fairly dire for the kids! They probably all need to get stronger to even think about fighting Jack!

Seriously fuck Tavros tho, I've turned all the way around on him.

I thiiiiiiink that's it? I don't know if there's anything else I should mention. Lots of cool shit happening! There's a whole secret wizard cult now! It's adorable!

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    this was a good time to make an recap post

homestuck is alright

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Okay, this was funny, but really:

(I'm doing this from memory so I might end up leaving some things out, but it wasn't that many pages anyway)
    man the lower enemies having Bec powers is real bad.

BOY THIS WHOLE THING WITH DAVE DOUBLE SERVER-ING SEEMS BAD but they don't really have any other options at the moment? Everything I kinda flip out about usually ends up being nothing though.

So... The only way to go god tier is to have a dream self. Jade already lost hers, Rose is planning a suicide mission with hers, Dave seems to be unwilling to get the job done, and John got tricked into getting himself killed on his quest bed to ascend. This seems fairly dire for the kids! They probably all need to get stronger to even think about fighting Jack!

I thiiiiiiink that's it? I don't know if there's anything else I should mention. Lots of cool shit happening! There's a whole secret wizard cult now! It's adorable!
    I remember kind of obsessing over the whole god tier and dreamself stuff back in the day. I got real worried for those damn kids.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    God Tier spoilers
    I still wish we had dug more into the whole powers/challenging your mindset/ultimate fate thing god tier had going on

Mostly because what little we did get was fantastic

• Options
    NeoToma wrote: »
    this was a good time to make an recap post

homestuck is alright

I like it a lot.

• Options
    Oh, also, I still really love Vriska. She and Karkat are my fav trolls.

• Options
    God Tier spoilers
    I still wish we had dug more into the whole powers/challenging your mindset/ultimate fate thing god tier had going on

I would have been real interested in the version of Homestuck that spent more time exploring Sburb As She Is Played instead of subverting it. Maybe the adventure game will get into that more.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    God Tier spoilers

I would have been real interested in the version of Homestuck that spent more time exploring Sburb As She Is Played instead of subverting it. Maybe the adventure game will get into that more.
    I dunno if i need THAT per say

It just seemed like a good vehicle for emotional exploration and resolution, which is the the thing Homestuck was at it's best when focusing on

Outside of that the mechanics of SBURB aren't very interesting

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    God Tier spoilers

Further God Tier spoilers
    At the same time, I completely buy Dave's line about those very constructs only working to their fullest for John, and to a lesser extent for Jade and Roxy, because they're the ones who can non-critically engage with them.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    What prompted this?

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Vriska's death I guess. That's where I turned around on Tavros too.
    even further on spoilers:
    but I came back around to him later

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Actually I don't think they're that far yet. Pretty sure it was

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004949

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    They're past Rise Up Thief.

• Options

It was this whole conversation, but I wasn't really happy with how Vriska's thing went down, no.

• Options
    Glazius wrote: »
    God Tier spoilers

Further God Tier spoilers
    At the same time, I completely buy Dave's line about those very constructs only working to their fullest for John, and to a lesser extent for Jade and Roxy, because they're the ones who can non-critically engage with them.
    Maybe!

Then again, Dave's insecurities don't exactly serve his best interests so it's hard to say if SBURB is being reductionist or actually trying to encourage people to be better

For someone who doesn't think he's a hero he certainly exhibits all the qualities of heroism that matter

• Options

It was this whole conversation, but I wasn't really happy with how Vriska's thing went down, no.

That whole thing was a real bad time. And it should have been so happy.
    What with Vriska dying and all.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Vriska & Tavros
    I get that she's basically tortured him his whole life but that whole interaction with Jade really made me not like him. That's definitely the most mra friendzoney shit and Jade was trying to be so nice and he was not getting it

The thing with Vriska reaching God tier is so awkward and I barely know what to think of it other than "just do the fucking thing, kid." But... He ran away instead. Not a big fan of the move but I get it.

• Options
    Vriska & Tavros
    I get that she's basically tortured him his whole life but that whole interaction with Jade really made me not like him. That's definitely the most mra friendzoney shit and Jade was trying to be so nice and he was not getting it

The thing with Vriska reaching God tier is so awkward and I barely know what to think of it other than "just do the fucking thing, kid." But... He ran away instead. Not a big fan of the move but I get it.
    All the trolls at least start out as some sort of awful internet person and Tavros' template is absolutely "Nice Guy." No self-confidence, yet feels like he's entitled to being treated better by people, which isn't even necessarily wrong but the way he goes about trying to apply the lessons he learns about "confidence" are just terrible. I do feel bad for how he gets treated at times but that doesn't excuse how he behaves when finally does take some agency in a conversation.

The Vriska thing, I totally get running away and, hell, probably would have done the same. Having your lifelong bully for whom your personal feelings are rather complex and unclear, attempting to goad you into killing her, especially as a young teenager with all the, you know, young teen poobrain, would be a nightmare.

cdci44qazyo3.gif