Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[PBP] [DW] The Merry Freebooters of Ditchwater

189101214

Posts

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    --

    I agree with Angles.

    I'm thinking we should go after toll collectors. Maybe see if we can close that one out before it progresses any further.

  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited February 11
    --
    No idea why they're after us and I don't feel like tussling with these guys- that's a third vote for the Angles.

    I'll keep a weather eye out.

    Geth, roll 2d6+2 for Weather Eye (WIS)

    As for the job, I'd like to do Nailjaw- it's also more likely to get complicated if we leave it since it's no longer exclusive. @wildwood gets casting vote I guess?

    Weather Eye (WIS):
    2d6+2 9 [2d6=1, 6]

    Grog on
    BSQv3fS.png
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited February 10
    Xeno has always been more comfortable than most with the strange geometries of Lehmark's Angles.

    --

    Geth, roll 2d6+2 for Plot a Way Through(INT)

    Edit: Welp...

    Plot a Way Through(INT):
    2d6+2 6 [2d6=3, 1]

    Boozer on
    Xeno the Wonderworker - [PBP] [DW] The Merry Freebooters of Ditchwater
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    Varg Yagha - [PBP] [13th Age] The Adventurer's Guild
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Oh hey, look at that. Two borderline rolls with 1s in and all your bonds are fresh. Ajax, Glory, you want to lend a hand?

    ---

    Tags: @AustinP0027 @wildwood

  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    edited February 11
    Incidentally, since now your bonds are more fixed let me share this with you:

    In the general case (outside of any special team scenarios that come up), when you try to aid someone you have a bond with but all your bonds with them are exhausted, tell me what you're putting at risk to help them and roll (2 + bonds with them)d6. They get one. You get two. Don't add anything.

    If you're left with a 10+, you pulled it off expertly and got away clean.
    If you're left with a 7-9 I'll share some of the fallout from their move with you. This might not actually be too bad if they were making certain moves or rolled high with your help.
    If you're left with a 6-, mark XP and I'll give you some fallout of your own.

    Glazius on
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    --

    @glazius would it be possible for me and Koba to assist each other, or would be too odd in the fiction?
    I'm fine waiting for a response from the others, just curious.

    Xeno the Wonderworker - [PBP] [DW] The Merry Freebooters of Ditchwater
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    Varg Yagha - [PBP] [13th Age] The Adventurer's Guild
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    When the group is idle or travelling, Glory likes to pester Xeno with random questions about the future. After all, the more you know about the future, the more you can make a story seem like a prophecy, which is really a whole different level of storytelling.

    Sometimes this annoys Xeno to no end, but sometimes it sparks random connections in Xeno's vast intellect that make whatever he's doing easier. Glory is happy to take the credit.

    --

    Glory would definitely prefer the Nail Jaw job. I mean, it's got 'story' right there in the description.

    Geth, roll 1d6 for Xeno Angle angel

    Xeno Angle angel:
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]

    Boozer
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited February 12
    "Of course you won't be hanging from the rope upside down, that's insane, even for you..."

    The Wonderworker trailed off, staring at the map he had been furiously sketching out, before turning it upside down as well.

    *cough* "Ahem, yes, so as I was saying. You will hang from this rope upside down, the better to leave your arms free to duel the villainous automaton Makoga ..."

    Boozer on
    Xeno the Wonderworker - [PBP] [DW] The Merry Freebooters of Ditchwater
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    Varg Yagha - [PBP] [13th Age] The Adventurer's Guild
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Okay, Koba. Pick yourself one of these:

    - If you encounter something in the Angles, you'll approach it with the initiative rather than starting on more neutral terms.
    - Tell me about something useful you learn about the Angles - a way to get the advantage in a fight, an unexpected source of shelter, things along those lines
    - You discover something worth further exploring in the Angles - I'll tell you what, and you're not obligated to anything now.
    - You discover signs of a danger in the Angles - I'll likewise tell you what, and you're likewise not obligated to anything now.

    ---

    Xeno, pick one of those that Koba doesn't pick.

    And as a bit of a coda, when I ask two people to make moves simultaneously like that, they'll be a little too wrapped up in their own duties to help each other out. Similarly with the four rolls you made to open the session - you were wrapped up in your own things and couldn't help each other out.

    In situations like that you might want to think about your alignment or consider the (currently absent) floating +1s from Discern Realities.

    ---

    tags: @Grog @Boozer

    Boozer
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    --
    I'll pick: If you encounter something in the Angles, you'll approach it with the initiative rather than starting on more neutral terms.

    BSQv3fS.png
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    After a few many turns down alleys that seem like dead ends at first, the group gains some familiarity with the variety of illusions (holographic, auditory, mystical, optical, etc.) that make the Angles so confusing. Enough so that losing non-native pursuers or finding a temporary shelter should pose no problem.

    Xeno the Wonderworker - [PBP] [DW] The Merry Freebooters of Ditchwater
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    Varg Yagha - [PBP] [13th Age] The Adventurer's Guild
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Alright, then. You're taking a ledge outside of a building that looks like one of those optical illusions that's concave when it's actually convex. Except there's also an illusion of it actually being convex covering your passage? Finding more actual useful passages in Lehmark's Angels has somehow only made it stranger.

    Anyway, you overhear a conversation.

    "I didn't want this! I just wanted to see what was up with the new neighbors!"

    It's at this point I feel I should expand a bit on the Wayfarers, which I had previously detailed only as "cat-rabbity things".They're usually between 3 and 4 feet tall, fully-grown, and are covered in short, brightly-colored fur, which generally doesn't stop them from wearing whatever they want. They can go around most of Dis barefoot but often choose not to. You might wonder, based only on this description, why the collective pile of scoundrels, rogues, and ne'er-do-wells looking for an easy mark has not shanked them out of existence.

    "I don't care about what you wanted! Do you know which way home is from here? Do you know which way Calypse Tower is from here?"

    Well, one potential reason is that their vocal range matches, in timbre, the range of the "normal" (normal here defined as the 6-or-7 foot range that most architecture winds up built to) inhabitants of Dis. When some wag in a tavern gets curious about this, the answer is usually that there's something different in the air in Dis, which is certainly a thing that's true no matter where your people were from.

    "Can you not bring up Calypse Tower? The place where they kill you in your sleep?"

    One other potential reason is that Wayfarers tend to focus on one thing for, like, six or seven years, and just spend all their free time (and their work time if they can swing it) getting better at that one thing. And then, often for no externally apparent reason, they focus on some other thing for like six or seven years, and so on, and so on. So a Wayfarer who's currently picking up trash or running a produce stand might have spend six years learning how to kill anything that moves with a toothpick.

    "Why'd you have to say that? Why'd you have to say that?"

    One other other potential reason is that this eclectic focus tends to bring Wayfarers into modestly-high leadership positions in the ranks of scoundrels, rogues, and ne'er-do-wells, and killing the boss's nephew often offends.

    "It's gonna be alright. We'll get out of here." "You know what would make that easier? No walls!" "Deep breaths, buddy."

    Another potential reason, which because I am a bastard, I have saved until you came into sight of this group of four Wayfarers -- one russet, one straw, one moss-green, one pale blue, all wearing brown traveling cloaks; the moss-green one is comforting the straw-colored one, who has clenched their fists and screwed their eyes shut -- is that most of them tend to have some kind of latent psychic potential.

    In the air, over the junction where the four of them have stopped for the moment, cracks are forming, like scratches on a painting. They close slightly as the straw-colored one calms down.

    There isn't anybody else obvious around, though Discern Realities might reveal other observers.

    At this point I should mention that the Road Wardens are so-called because their duties include (at their discretion) guiding travelers through the shifting streets of Dis to the places they want to go. However, between the usual tumult that comes from a recently-added parish, the fact that the entire known population of Road Wardens would not be sufficient to cover every intersection in Lehmark's Angles, and the Sultana's inscrutable nature as it relates to what commands she may give them, no Road Warden is currently in evidence.

    It might be that you know a way to catch a Road Warden's attention and then hope to redirect it.

    It might be that you feel up to defusing this situation under your own power.

    It might be that you just want to keep going your own way and let this situation play out as it will. You're certainly free to do that, and you'll almost certainly transfer off of this building walkway before it collapses underneath you.

    So what are you doing?

    ---

    tags: @wildwood @AustinP0027 @Grog @Boozer

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    --

    What do folks think? Side quest?

    Boozer
  • wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    --

    I'm up for it. But, just saying, if the plan is to have Glory soothe them with a story, we should probably also have a plan B.

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited February 18
    --

    I could see the Road Wardens as having dealt with some of the side effects (and main effects) of Xeno's abilities before. Not fans, sadly.

    So Plan B might be to catch a Road Wardens attention by making a big loud show of creating a temporal obstacle in the road. Hopefully we could redirect them after that, since they may just consider the obstacle to be Xeno.

    Boozer on
    Xeno the Wonderworker - [PBP] [DW] The Merry Freebooters of Ditchwater
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    Varg Yagha - [PBP] [13th Age] The Adventurer's Guild
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Right, lemme offer a couple ways you might want to deal with this.

    Glory, you could just straight-up present yourself as a friendly face and use that as leverage for Parley. Assuming they bought it. You could also tell the greatest story, which as always would serve as a pleasant way to pass some time. Their reactions after the story was finished would depend on the circumstances everybody else created.

    Xeno, if you wanted to try and create a significant temporal roadblock, Cast A Spell is right there. You might also be able to get something useful out of peering through time for other reasons.

    Koba, Ajax, being able to work out how to get from here to Goingforth might be useful if you could pull it off. That might be an Int roll, but if you'd rather not, sell me some other stat. Or you could wait and see how your partymates establish the situation.

    ---

    tags: @wildwood @Boozer @Grog @AustinP0027

  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Koba keeps well back from the Wayfarer's attention, motioning to Ajax to do the same. "First impressions and all that..."
    --
    Sorry about the delay. I think Glory going in and making some friends is a Good Plan, but Koba can use the suit's jumpers to get down there quick and help out if it goes wrong.
    @Wildwood

    BSQv3fS.png
    Boozer
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    --
    An Int roll for Ajax is basically asking to fail, so I'll hang back for now.

  • wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    "Hello, neighbors!" Glory calls out to the Wayfarers, as he works his way down from the ledge. "Are you out exploring the new... arrangement? My friends and I are passing through, on our way to Ditchwater."

    Adopting his best this-person-is-well-meaning-and-harmless manner, he approaches a few steps, but stops a (hopefully) non-threatening distance away. "I'm not sure if I'm going to get used to having the Angles right next door, but I suppose it can't be helped. Luckily, some of my friends are quite good with the maps. Don't leave home without them, I'd say."

    He pauses and smiles, inviting a response. "How are you finding the Angles? Any good stories so far?"

    --

    @Glazius - I wasn't sure if there was a roll needed yet.

  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    edited February 22
    Glory, well, first off, yes, there's a roll. That is sufficient to obtain leverage over these Wayfarers and try to manipulate them.

    But there's giving a thirsty man a cup of water, and then there's telling a thirsty man the river is right behind him, and you have definitely done the latter. How these guys treat it is going to depend on how much cynicism Dis has bred into them. And that much is...

    The GM is reading tarot cards!

    The GM draws the King of Pentacles, and by "Pentacles", I mean "bling".

    The russet-colored one says look, let's not pretend, alright? You had to have heard that. How much is it going to cost to get all of us back home?

    You may in fact decide to pursue this line of inquiry and roll with advantage. However, you'll also need to:
    - take these guys back home, which will probably not delay you too much thanks to the shortcuts Xeno's discovered, or
    - provide them with some tool to find their own way home, which Xeno or Koba might be able to MacGyver together. Or heck, Ajax, do you moonlight as a cartographer? ...who does the party maps, anyway? Are there party maps?

    Safe passage through oh-god-I'd-blow-down-the-walls-to-get-home terrain runs about 50 silvers a head, for reference.

    You may also decide not to make those kinds of promises and just try to, I don't know, lift these guys' spirits enough for them to continue on their own with confidence? If that's what you were thinking of?

    ---

    tags: @wildwood @Boozer @Grog @AustinP0027

    Glazius on
  • wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    --

    Glory is game for any of those options, though guiding them or providing a map is well beyond his abilities. He's happy to act as go-between, if the others are worried about spooking the Wayfarers.

    If Glory negotiates without any guidance from the rest of the group, he will of course want to negotiate for stories.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    --

    Am I crazy to think maybe we should just all take them home?

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited February 22
    --

    I like taking them home using shortcuts.

    In terms of payment (which I think we should get, don't want to set the wrong expectations) I prefer them owing us a favor or remembering we helped them in lieu of coin or stories, personally. These seems like the type of folks you want on your good side or could be helpful when we get into a jam.

    I'm happy to say that Xeno tells that to Glory and let him negotiate. Xeno's familiar enough with his own timeline to know that most of his interactions with strangers go awry. Strangely, most are not comfortable hearing about the odd quirks of their untimely ends, or how they differ from versions of themselves in alternate timelines.

    Boozer on
    Xeno the Wonderworker - [PBP] [DW] The Merry Freebooters of Ditchwater
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    Varg Yagha - [PBP] [13th Age] The Adventurer's Guild
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Looks like there's somewhat of a consensus if you'd like to roll, Glory.

    ---

    On a related note, please don't feel pressured to take a course of action just because I've detailed it a bit or dangled a reward. That's mostly for expediency's sake, sketching out the rules around what I see as a likely option, or even just a likely new option, so that we don't have to go through an extra bunch of posts that are just "sounds good, what's the roll?" "Here's the roll." "I'm rolling it."

    You aren't part of my system and you have the radical freedom to throw my suggested course(s) of action on the ground and do what you want, and I'll deal with it. I knew what I was getting in for when I decided to GM.

    Tags: @Grog @Boozer @wildwood @AustinP0027

  • wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    Glory waves reassuringly at the russet-colored one, and the others. "Who knows how long we'll be neighbors in this crazy city, but in the meantime, there's no reason we can't work together. Who knows what situation may come up in the future, when we might be in need of your help?"

    --

    Sorry for the delay.

    So I guess what we're negotiating for here is some kind of marker for future help, or, if they have some way to be immediately helpful to us that we hadn't thought of, that works, too. (Maybe something to help with the Noise or the Spects?) We're offering to guide them back to Wayfarer country, which it sounds like won't be a big deal for Xeno to deliver on.

    Geth roll 3d6k2+2 for Navigation Negotiation

    Navigation Negotiation:
    3d6k2+2 8 [3d6k2=[3, 3], 3]

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    --

    @Glazius Let me know if I need to roll anything else to guide us all out of here via the Angles' shortcuts.

    Xeno the Wonderworker - [PBP] [DW] The Merry Freebooters of Ditchwater
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    Varg Yagha - [PBP] [13th Age] The Adventurer's Guild
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Well, Glory, now we have confirmation that Geth <3's you. Someone, uh, want to explain that's not exactly what it means?

    ---

    We'll see, says the russet one. If you've got any idea where to go, then we'll go.

    It's at this point, Xeno, that you might be able to provide something nice and convincing. Like, if you wanted to Cosmic Channel/Cast A Spell to throw up a map of Little Billy Gets Lost In The Angles, you'd roll with advantage because you understand the interference the Angles throw up. It would let you trace these guys' path back to Goingforth -- not lasting long means someone else has to copy it down quick, affecting a different amount from what you want will make a minimap-style circle that is sufficient to be convincing but means you'll have to retrace their steps instead of looking for another way back.

    ---

    And I'd like to kind of take the party pulse at this point. I'm of two minds about how to deal with this. The first is to do what I've been doing before for these kind of overview-y things - I lay out a couple rolls, everybody in the party makes or helps with one, and those determine how you deal with this. Gets you done with this and on to Tyranthis Far faster

    The other is to actually run Lehmark's Angles as its own little mini-dungeon, if you feel like you want to get in a quality explore of this place with some little buddies in tow. Just let me know what you'd rather.

    ---

    tags: @wildwood @Boozer @Grog @AustinP0027

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited February 25
    “Allow me to demonstrate.” Xeno says, laying his map onto the ground and handing additional paper, ink, and a styluses to the Wayfarers.

    “The path home may only reveal itself for a moment. Endeavor to copy it at once, the Angles guards its secrets well.” With that warning, the Wonderworker begins to work his magic, and a ghostly haze of tiny green flickering cat-rabbit shaped shadows moves backwards from their location on the map to the Wayfarers home, leaving a trail on the map for the group to follow.

    --

    Geth roll 3d6k2+2 for Cosmic Channel to trace the path back to Goingforth for the Wayfarers.
    For 10+ I’ll choose: You feel drained. You take -1 ongoing to Int until you have a few moments to clear your head.
    If I get a 7-9 I’ll add: The effect won’t last long - you’ll need to hurry to take advantage of it.

    Cosmic Channel to trace the path back to Goingforth for the Wayfarers:
    3d6k2+2 14 [3d6k2=[6, 6], 6]

    Boozer on
    Xeno the Wonderworker - [PBP] [DW] The Merry Freebooters of Ditchwater
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    Varg Yagha - [PBP] [13th Age] The Adventurer's Guild
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    --
    @Glazius I'd prefer a zoomed-out overview of the Angles journey, I'm more interested in getting to the Nail-Jaw job.

    BSQv3fS.png
    AustinP0027Boozer
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    edited February 26
    Giood convincing, Xeno. Let's turbo this sucker.

    So, task 1: Follow the map and keep watch. Gonna involve +int or +wis. 12+ you're through clean, otherwise I roll some number of d8s for incidental skrimishes with various street thugs and maze-affine monsters. Distribute the dice among the party as you like. 10-11: 2d8 7-9: 4d8 6-: 6d8. You can even toss dice on the Wayfarers if you like, though that'll reduce the quality of your overall reward.

    Task 2: Keep the wayfarers corralled and favorably disposed to you. +con or +cha. 12+ they can soak up 2 dice of damage. 10-11, 1. 7-9 none. 6- they act like they took one more die than they did. Any leftover soak dice do help them think better of you.

    We'll go 2 and 2, and whoever goes first on either task will choose how you handle it.

    Either you both roll and I take the best result, (only mark xp for a failure if you both fail)
    or you hit a bond to help your buddy who goes next, so they roll with advantage. (both mark xp for a failure if the roll fails)

    The probabilities are roughly the same either way, so it's up to you if you want to get that bond brought into the session or not.

    ---

    tags: @Boozer @AustinP0027 @Grog @wildwood

    Glazius on
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited February 26
    “Excellent work my friend. See if you can keep their spirits up with one of your exciting tales of adventure.” Xeno told Glory.

    --

    Since my INT is drained I’ll use a bond. Since Ajax and Koba both have good WIS I’ll help out Glory with Task 2.

    I’ll hit the following new bond with Glory:

    Glory will play an important role in the events to come. I have foreseen it!

    Edit -
    Just a reminder that everyone should add 38 coin to their sheets from us selling all the smaller stuff in Ashcrowne. I mentioned this when we leveled up.

    The following two big items should also be added to our party treasure until we can fence it:
    - A jeweled marker from Weathermist Sands, worth 130 coin to anyone who can spin a convincing story about how they totally got traded this thing by its original buyer, honest.
    - A "light spinel" - Glory will recognize the rough shape and luminance from the message crystal they received from Szatotae. This one contains no secret message - it's a high-quality yellow blank. Could get 70 coin from an appropriate crafter.

    I’ll save this in my char sheet just so the loot isn’t lost.

    Boozer on
    Xeno the Wonderworker - [PBP] [DW] The Merry Freebooters of Ditchwater
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    Varg Yagha - [PBP] [13th Age] The Adventurer's Guild
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    Glory acts as tour guide, leading the Wayfarers along as the others follow the map. His story-trove about the Angles is a bit light, and their guests don't really seem to want to be reminded of where they are, so Glory uses the various visual cues as they walk as launching points into various stories, hoping to divert and distract the Wayfarers long enough to get them home. Hopefully without bringing up other 'trigger' issues which may excite them.

    --

    Geth roll 3d6k2+2 for Guiding and Charming, and Now We're Walking

    Guiding and Charming, and Now We're Walking:
    3d6k2+2 9 [3d6k2=[4, 3], 2]

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    The new party joining them, there was work to be done socially. And the last Ajax checked, socially didn't involve his sword, so it was clearly a job better left to one of his other companions. Instead, he studied the map intently, adjusting their course as necessary in relation to their surroundings. He operated more on instinct than by direct logic. His feeling for their path was based on the experiences he has had traveling before, avoiding that kind of darker path due to possible danger, turning towards a path that may not be optimal to put themselves is a better defensive position or to avoid a possible ambush position. It didn't require a genius to spot and avoid the wrong paths, it just required someone paying attention.

    --
    I'll save a Koba bond for later. Also, thanks for the reminder Boozer, I hadn't added the coin or the shield to my char list yet.

    Geth, roll 2d6+2 for NAVIGATION!

    NAVIGATION!:
    2d6+2 10 [2d6=4, 4]

  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    While Ajax applied his wits to any immediate dangers or wrong turns, Koba applied her intellect to mapping the expedition. An amateur cartographer, she was nevertheless the group's go to map maker and reader (a combined job, as her scrawl was fairly illegible).
    --

    Geth, roll 2d6+2 for Navigation also

    Navigation also:
    2d6+2 4 [2d6=1, 1]

    BSQv3fS.png
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited February 27
    --

    So it looks like we have 2d8 to distribute and no soak from the Wayfarers.
    Just based on HP+Armor, my votes for the 2d8 of damage are 1d8 for Ajax and 1d8 for GloryKoba, and Xeno can try to heal both of you once he has a minute to clear his head (lose the -1 to INT).

    Edit: Since it looks like we get to see the damage ahead of time, might as well get Ajax to take the 3 and Koba to take the 2, since their armor can soak it.

    Boozer on
    Xeno the Wonderworker - [PBP] [DW] The Merry Freebooters of Ditchwater
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    Varg Yagha - [PBP] [13th Age] The Adventurer's Guild
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Well just some volunteers to step up for this would be fine. Armor applies to the total you take.

    And when you claim a die, tell me what it was that did it to you.

    Geth, roll 2#1d8 for wandering damage table.

    ---

    Tags: @AustinP0027 @wildwood @Boozer @Grog

    wandering damage table:
    2#1d8 2 # 2 [1d8=2] 3 [1d8=3]

  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited February 28
    Curled up inside the auto-walking suit and lost in triangulations, Koba only realises something has gone wrong when the armor CLONKs against something unexpected

    The protuberance is remarkable even here as it appears to be in the likeness of a lizard-like humanoid brandishing a sword, only it morphs erratically every few seconds to a different pose. "Someone you know?" she asks Glory, carefully inching around it's reach and motioning the others to do the same.
    --
    Well that was lucky. I'll take the 2 damage, since I've got two armour and I believe @AustinP0027 can take the other 3 with Ajax's 3 armour?

    Grog on
    BSQv3fS.png
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    The morphing statue drew the Weaponmaster's attention back to the immediate area. He had been distracted just like Koba in their planning and hadn't seen the statue until it had collided with his companion. The problem with this is that it had draw Ajax's attention to be more focused to their immediate surroundings. Specifically, those at ground level. And so, the sudden pressure against his back had come as a surprise. It knocked him to the ground, and knocked the wind out of him briefly, but even so, he was able to regain his feet quickly to identify the source of the attack.

    A large stone brick had fallen down on the group, and had collided with the shield currently strapped to Ajax's back. Looking up, the Weaponmaster could see the platform above them that was missing a block, but given the decaying architecture around them, he couldn't tell if it had fallen naturally or if someone had dislodged it down upon the group.

    --
    Yea, with the Shield I pull an Armor of 4, so even without it, I'm good taking the 3 roll.

  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    edited March 1
    Ah, excellent. Through it all and nary a scratch.

    ---

    Goingforth has something of an under-construction look about it, but this is more because the Wayfarers can fit two floors to most people's one. When they moved into this place or maybe hired people to work to very standard plans to build it, they started converting a huge amount of ceiling space they'd never use into something more cozy and comfortable.

    Most of the trade stalls haven't been double-stacked, though, and those that have open out onto the street at any rate, from the Wayfarers' second floor.

    Did you see anyone in there? asks the pale blue one. It was almost like the entire place was just one big living thing.

    ...thank you for waiting to say that, says the straw-colored one.

    You're welcome, says the pale blue one, with either masterfully biting sarcasm or complete obliviousness.

    And there's a bit of a welcoming crowd as you make your way in deeper, since, you know, rejoice for the ones we thought lost are now found, kind of thing. (And also, you know, most Wayfarers go through a merchanty phase at one point in their lives and a motley crowd like this has some silver to throw around, right?)

    ---

    So let's talk about silver for a second, shall we?

    Well, actually, let's talk about time. The state of the job has not itself progressed, but Tyranthis Far is hardly in temporal stasis. There's going to be... A Thing happening there, the countdown of which has advanced because of this little side-adventure from 12:00 safe to 3:00. Standard remaining steps: 6:00, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00 doomed.

    Or, if you prefer, we've marked one box out of six.

    Now, your adventure has got you arbitrarily-easy passage between Havenglen Grove, Goingforth, and Ditchwater, regardless of what Medusa's Column has to say about the matter. And you can do things in all those places. But like the man says, it's well to remember that things take time.

    If you can get to Tyranthis Far before 9:00, it might be possible to stop A Thing entirely. If you can get to Tyranthis Far before 11:00, A Thing will be in progress and more difficult to stop outright, but possible to shift. At 11:00 you'll have to deal. At 12:00 doomed you'll have to deal with the aftermath. The Thing would not fundamentally change the nature of the job if it happened, so if you want to take your time go ahead. Who knows what would happen if you rushed in?

    Oh, also. To get by in Tyranthis Far it'd probably be a good idea to be able to breathe water. For those of you who that might be an issue for, fortunately the whole water/air thing is kind of a solved problem around Dis. 75 coin will get you 1-weight of breath strips: long chemically or magically treated fabric or porous material of some description that you can drape around your neck and/or gills to breathe/not have to breathe water. 5 uses that are good for about 6 hours apiece, more if you're willing to be short of breath for a bit. The Sultana takes an interest in the fairly ready availability and reliability of something like this, so it's not necessarily even a roll to buy them.

    Something the Sultana doesn't quite take as much an interest in is the ready availability of your by-the-book healing potion. She or her duly deputized agents will verify that what you're selling isn't harmful, but so many things are generally helpful that you'll need to look around for the genuine article. (What this says, in so many words, is that you'll need to roll +cha like you were trying to find rare goods in order to buy healing potions. But if you hit the roll you can buy like half a dozen of the things if you like.)

    ---

    Here are the things you can do and the time it will take to do them. ...well, I say "time", but it's an abstract measure. It might be more properly detailed as "information imbalance"? Like, somebody in Tyranthis Far is running their equivalent of The Spects trying to get information and you're necessarily going to have to act publicly to get things done?

    So that 5-time you have left is not all the time each one of you has, it's all the time all of you have, together. If you want to mark a bond or otherwise help out someone do a thing, on an end result of a 7-9 or worse your help will cost an additional 1-time.

    GOINGFORTH:

    Get swept along by the crowd of merchant Wayfarers: 0-time. Well, 0-additional time. You can get pretty much anything that doesn't require careful fitting to a large frame (so no plate mail) and you can even get actual-factual healing potions and unload your treasure items! ...at a 25% markdown for you, and a 25% markup for them. So 75%/125% of total value, respectively. If it matters, for every 100-coin you spend this way the Wayfarers will feel about 1 soak die more indebted to you.
    Find a reputable trader and do business on the level: 1-time and roll Discern Realities. You'll find one even on a miss, so no matter what ask one or three questions, whatever happens. Wayfarers have a broad array of interests so this would also let you unload your treasure items at full value.
    Ask around for rumors of work: 1-time and roll +a stat that you justify with how you're asking. I'll roll up a job in Goingforth that won't decay but on a 6- it will have mutated once. Most every one of the major guilds has some kind of contact in Goingforth so you can name me a guild or type of guild this job will touch on, if you'd like some exposure.

    HAVENGLEN GROVE:

    Take a stroll and breathe some fresh air: 0-time and you'll probably need it.
    Find a reputable magecrafter: 1-time and roll+CHA. On a 7-9 you deal straight across, on a 10+ you can sell your light spinel at 125% and everything you could buy from a magecrafter (e.g. books, breath strips, healing potions) gets some kind of bonus effect.
    Ask around for rumors of work: 1-time and roll +a stat that you justify with how you're asking. I'll roll up a job in Havenglen Grove that won't decay but on a 6- it will have mutated once. Doing work for the people who are kind of the gold standard of magecraft in Dis is bound to have some knock-on benefits, so name me a crafting house or a sort of goods they make that this job will touch on, if you'd like a few markers to call in.

    DITCHWATER:

    Hold your nose and catch up with Octagonia and your quarters: 0-time but it's got to be done.
    Find a reputable fence: 1-time and roll +CHA. On a 7-9 you deal straight across, on a 10+ you can sell your Weathermist Sands marker at 125% and your choice: buy only nonmagical goods (so not healing potions but still breath strips/herbal poultices) but at 75%, or buy all types of goods straight across and for every 100-coin you spend I'll let slip a rumor.
    Bite the bullet and talk to the Last Gatesmen (Koba Special): you owe a favor to Jouret, Bride of Stone, and if you want to volunteer now you'll get some information along with a task she needs accomplished in Tyranthis Far. You'll need to get that done, too, but heal 1-time.
    Work the bars and the backstreets for rumors: Bid 1-time. Tyranthis Far actually does a fair amount of traffic in Ditchwater, since if you remember what I said about building out of the megafauna, Tyranthis Far on a bad day is pretty well on par with your average day in Ditchwater, stonk-wise. So arm-wrestle a dockhand or swill down seaweed beer or trail people to see who's cashing in chits at Deniable Dan's and roll +a stat that goes along with what you're doing. No matter what, ask three questions from the Charming and Open list, except they're about "our mutual friends" instead of whoever it is you're talking to. On a 6-, well, it took the time. On a 7-9, heal 1-time to go back to neutral. On a 10+, heal 2-time.

    ---

    Oh, and hey, there's the matter of that favor the Wayfarers owe you. Considering this is your second one, I've been meaning to ask. Is the capital-A capital-F version of A Favor a thing that's got some formalities about it in Dis? Like, a ritual oath of some kind, or some manner of memento of it you both carry away, or a ritual that involves creating a memento?

    A Thing In Tyranthis Far: ■□|□□|□□

    tags: @wildwood @Boozer @AustinP0027 @Grog

    Glazius on
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    edited March 2
    Right, sorry, lemme try and restructure that.

    A Thing In Tyranthis Far: ■□|□□|□□

    The breakpoints there are when you can stop it/when you can shift it/oh well. Only the final timer will be checked when you hit Tyranthis Far, so "healing time" will walk it back. That's your prep time to get ready to go. Here are categories of things you can spend it on, and one new item.

    Breath strips (1-weight, 5 uses, 75 coin) - a generic way of referring to an item to let air-breathers breathe water and water-breathers breathe air. One use buys you at least 6 hours, more if you want to be short of breath for some of it. They don't have to be continuous hours, but don't leave one of these sitting out in the sun for a week or whatever.

    SHOP:

    0-time in Goingforth
    - make deals with whatever opportunistic merchants there are
    - sell at 75%, buy at 125%, but it's fast
    - every 100-coin will amp up the favor the Wayfarers owe you

    1-time in Goingforth
    - +WIS to discern realities
    - sell and buy at 100%
    - ask some questions (a dedicated trader is useful or valuable)
    - probably get some +1s forward to various other elements of prep and/or future events

    1-time in Havenglen Grove
    - +CHA
    - 7-9, sell and buy at 100%
    - 10+, sell the spinel at 125%, and everything magicky you buy gets a bonus I choose

    1-time in Ditchwater
    - +CHA
    - 7-9, sell and buy at 100%.
    - 10+, sell the marker at 125% and your choice:
    - buy all nonmagical goods at 75%
    - get a rumor per 100-coin you spend.

    LOOK FOR WORK:

    1-time in Goingforth
    - +STAT -- tell me what you do to find it to justify the roll.
    - name a guild or type of guild you'd like the job to concern, if you wish
    - 10+, exclusive 2. 7-9, exclusive 1. 6-, mutate, then exclusive 1.

    1-time in Havenglen Grove
    - +STAT -- tell me what you do to find it to justify the roll.
    - name a crafting house or class of goods you'd like the job to concern, if you wish
    - 10+, exclusive 2. 7-9, exclusive 1. 6-, mutate, then exclusive 1.

    GET INFORMATION:

    0-time in Ditchwater, at Koba's discretion
    - volunteer to do Jouret, Bride of Stone, a favor, sooner rather than later
    - receive a task to do in Tyranthis Far
    - also get an answer to any one question ("the Last Gatesmen don't know" does not count as an answer)
    - also also heal 1-time

    1-time in Ditchwater
    - +STAT -- tell me what you're doing to work the rumormill from Tyranthis Far
    - ask 3 questions from the Charming and Open list about "our mutual friends", i.e. the unknown forces behind A Thing
    - 6-, get answers. 7-9, also heal 1-time. 10+, also heal 2-time.

    OPERATIONS AND ASSISTANCE:

    0~1-time with another PC
    - use a bond/the bond move to help another PC's roll, in the customary fashion
    - if it results in a 7-9, the task takes 1-additional time

    -1-time with any task
    - if you're feeling particularly pressed for time, you can try to do a task carefully, through proxies or back ways
    - roll with disadvantage and the task takes -1 time. Failures don't waste time, but maybe you'd rather they did?

    ALL THE REST:

    0-time in any of the three parishes
    - play out a scene. Do a thing you'd like. Ask a question you're curious about
    - get an answer or a response. Not, you know, a binding truth or a bonus to carry forward, but if I can barf out plansciptica to make myself happy I can certainly do it for you

    ???-time in MYSTERY PREPARATION OPTION X
    - propose something else you'd like to do to get yourself ready for this expedition/secure a more general advantage
    - I'll give you a roll and a time cost
    - this ain't Burning Wheel, you can back off it if it's too rich for your blood

    ---

    tags: @Grog @wildwood @AustinP0027 @Boozer

    Glazius on
Sign In or Register to comment.