As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The jigsaw puzzle thread.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Shit I should have bought shares in Puzz 3D before I made that post.

EDIT: I had... that castle one I posted, London Bridge and the Eiffel Tower. There might have been one other smaller one too. God damn I wanted the Millennium Falcon puzzle so bad.

Me and my brother and my parents did the Millennium Falcon one. It was as great is you think it was!

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    my roommate has a 1000 piece puzzle of The Great Wave off Kanagawa sitting on the dining room table and I've been working on it off-and-on

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    This thread is way more interesting than I thought it would be.

No offense meant.

My mom really likes puzzles. So do our cats! They are not very helpful though.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    my older sister is way into puzzles

during her final year of highschool, she started making a 1000 or so piece one, and the whole family had to start helping, just so we could get the bloody thing finished, and she would get back to studying

we also often get one for christmas, which is often a great thing for if it starts raining a whole lot and it's not nice enough to go outside. Maps of places can be pretty good. Because then they also test your geography. And you learn stuff. We found out that there is a place in Australia called Useless Loop, which is lovely.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    WS22806lg.jpg

Two dimensional puzzles inferior

Three dimensional puzzles superior

Oh my God, yes! For my 10th birthday I got the US Capitol Building and one of my friends and I tore into it ravenously to put it together, and three of my other friends there just could not understand our excitement. Coincidentally, I only still communicate with one of said friends!

I remember when he get the Empire State Building for Christmas we sank an entire weekend into it and still only got about 2/3 done with it. I may have to buy one of these bastards on eBay to sate my nostalgia.

Three dimensional puzzles inferior

Four dimensional puzzles superior.

zBbmzRol.jpg

UYW1abbl.jpg

The way it works is, the puzzle gives you a timeline of building construction (and sometimes deconstruction) to follow, so after you finish layers one and two, you assemble layer three along the timeline so you can watch the city grow as it would have over the years.

We didn't realize you were supposed to pop out the little empty spaces in layer two when we assembled New York, so we had to use tweezers to set all the skyscrapers in place by the end. And then Chicago? YEAH, that blue mass of Lake Michigan took my brother, his girlfriend and I - and we're a puzzle family - two months because the pieces aren't well differentiated and the image detail doesn't correspond to the minute striations on the blue pieces themselves.

Anyway they're pretty fun. Except for Lake Michigan. Fuck you, Lake Michigan.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    i have these guys:
    61WNK1g0lXL.jpg
    1000 pieces by D-toys
    las_vegas3.jpg
    5kD0ckF.jpg
    ...but
    1. i don't really have a table to do them on,
    additionally,
    2. where the cats wouldn't immediately discover this new toy to squirrel away.

when i was a kid, i put together a hexagon-shaped puzzle with a photo of a ton of pocketwatches. maybe it was just the box that was a hexagon? anyway, that was a good one. i believe i purged it in the last move.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I still have the puzzle I got from my girlfriend of the time
    545_Dracula_s_Castle.jpg

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Ohh I think I had one like that, with the little descriptive bubbles all over it. They came in hexagonal boxes, right?

• Options
    Ohh I think I had one like that, with the little descriptive bubbles all over it. They came in hexagonal boxes, right?

I think I still have the puzzle and yes it has bits of the book on it
    I have had to glue it several times here as it gets really dry and the glue decays really quick

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I think last year we had to impose a strict limit on the number of pieces we could have, because at a certain point, we just didn't have enough space on certain tables to fit them on

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My dad's got into the habit of having jigsaws made from people's photos. He's used a few of my pics so far, and I'm thinking of getting him to do this one.

FCl8iFW.jpg

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    These are the three puzzles I made earlier this year:
    kleb4f8qg2l0.jpg
    One from Ravensburger if I'm not mistaken, and two from Educa's Power of Nature series.

I love the fact that 1000 piece puzzles fit perfectly in a 50x70cm frame, and that you can buy coloured drawing paper of 50x70cm, so I flip my puzzle over, put it on the glass, put the coloured drawing paper behind it (in case the puzzle is slightly smaller; Ravensburger puzzles of 50x70 are slightly smaller, and that's why I use the coloured paper), then push the back on the frame on it, fold the metal foldy things forward while pressing hard on the back, and voila, a jigsaw in a frame which stays put and no glue is required!

And when I'm bored of one I can take it out and put another one in :biggrin:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    So a friend of mine bought a puzzle and she really had some trouble with it because she got crazy of all the pieces.
    So I tried it and yup, after a week or so I was slightly crazy too and when I closed my eyes I saw them everywhere...
    EVERYWHERE :eek:
    k5sn1ygrs01s.jpg
    The worst thing of all: there were 13 pieces missing! :rotate:

So I mailed Clementoni, the company and sent them the correct request form and a pic of the puzzle so that they knew which pieces I was missing.
    This was their reply:
    x6uxagep40l0.jpg
    That's more than 13 pieces! That's the whole 1000 pieces again! :bigfrown: :eek: :exclaim: :rotate: :snap: :crackle: :pop: :hydra: :twisted:

I haven't had the courage yet to seek out the missing 13 pieces...

(A puzzle company will always send a complete puzzle back, because the image printed might differ a millimeter or two on each puzzle; so even if I find the 13 pieces, they will fit the missing hole, but the picture might not fit perfectly)

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    also: to fuck with you

they know their audience

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I can just picture some office worker laughing maniacally, "Send me a letter, will you?!"

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    gBAZgBAZ Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Oh there is a series by that brand, many of which are fantasy. I'll book mark it for later to add to my list.
    Thanks.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    @Corporal Carl
    Those remind me of some of the puzzles I have my eye on @ amazon.

51y6cv%2BGtFL._SY300_.jpg

51i8T5anUNL._SX425_.jpg

61bIwhGbIDL._SX425_.jpg

gBAZ on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    WS22806lg.jpg

Two dimensional puzzles inferior

Three dimensional puzzles superior

Oh my God, yes! For my 10th birthday I got the US Capitol Building and one of my friends and I tore into it ravenously to put it together, and three of my other friends there just could not understand our excitement. Coincidentally, I only still communicate with one of said friends!

I remember when he get the Empire State Building for Christmas we sank an entire weekend into it and still only got about 2/3 done with it. I may have to buy one of these bastards on eBay to sate my nostalgia.

Three dimensional puzzles inferior

Four dimensional puzzles superior.

zBbmzRol.jpg

UYW1abbl.jpg

The way it works is, the puzzle gives you a timeline of building construction (and sometimes deconstruction) to follow, so after you finish layers one and two, you assemble layer three along the timeline so you can watch the city grow as it would have over the years.

We didn't realize you were supposed to pop out the little empty spaces in layer two when we assembled New York, so we had to use tweezers to set all the skyscrapers in place by the end. And then Chicago? YEAH, that blue mass of Lake Michigan took my brother, his girlfriend and I - and we're a puzzle family - two months because the pieces aren't well differentiated and the image detail doesn't correspond to the minute striations on the blue pieces themselves.

Anyway they're pretty fun. Except for Lake Michigan. Fuck you, Lake Michigan.

WHERE DID YOU GET THIS

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    545_Dracula_s_Castle.jpg

Oh, man!

I got this puzzle for my birthday when I was a kid.

I picked it out for myself at the store and everything.

I think my mom ended up doing most of it.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Anyone know a way I could get a jigsaw puzzle made out of a png or jpg or something? I've got some screenshots from The Witness that would be absolutely gorgeous and may make good gifts.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I know there are websites that do that because friends have had it done! I just uhh, don't know what's good.

@tynic Ye Aulde Amazon

I mean technically both were gifts, but I know at least my brother bought Chicago for me off Amazon. I recommend doing one with a lot of destruction/change over time to get the full effect. New York was far superior to Chicago because you got to take some things out and put new ones in.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    puzzlemadampuzzlemadam New YorkRegistered User new member
    So a friend of mine bought a puzzle and she really had some trouble with it because she got crazy of all the pieces.
    So I tried it and yup, after a week or so I was slightly crazy too and when I closed my eyes I saw them everywhere...
    k5sn1ygrs01s.jpg

So I mailed Clementoni, the company and sent them the correct request form and a pic of the puzzle so that they knew which pieces I was missing.
    This was their reply:
    x6uxagep40l0.jpg
    That's more than 13 pieces! That's the whole 1000 pieces again! :bigfrown: :eek: :exclaim: :rotate: :snap: :crackle: :pop: :hydra: :twisted:

(A puzzle company will always send a complete puzzle back, because the image printed might differ a millimeter or two on each puzzle; so even if I find the 13 pieces, they will fit the missing hole, but the picture might not fit perfectly)

13 Missing pieces is a lot! That is so cool of them to send you a new puzzle though.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    . . .didn't think i'd consider doing a puzzle ever again. and yet.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I have my eyes on this life size vintage 1971 playboy puzzle 5'6". Its 150 pieces (which may be annoying because it will be so fast to complete) Super size puzzle pieces?!?! I have yet to try a 3D puzzle :? Any suggestions?

• Options
    I have seen quite a few playboy and penthouse puzzles :winky: but the last place I knew to get them closed long ago

• Options
    I have seen quite a few playboy and penthouse puzzles :winky: but the last place I knew to get them closed long ago

Cool. I have my own line of erotic puzzles that I produce now (just released) but I know I am not supposed to mention that in a post like this because it would be promotional (or link to it) . hah. Yeah, I'm eyeing the one on ebay. I'm 5'5" so I want to lay down next to it and take a photo. :P

• Options

Maybe I should just buy it make it and post it.... 8-)

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    my family is big on the charles wysocki old timey puzzles.

we got some neat ones for christmas - thankfully 300 and 500 piece ones. my days of agonizing over 1000 piece puzzles are kind of over. would rather just crush a few easy ones for the purposes of relaxin'. One of the ones we got for christmas is a bunch of old travel posters and it was pretty fun to do.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    apparently the beau's family conflated the jigsaw puzzles on my Amazon wishlist with a desire on his part for many jigsaw puzzles, and so he got several. ...i am curious how many of my presents from his sibs and parents will be jigsaw puzzles...

i put a ton on my list as options, people, i am not obsessed! (that said, i got a couple i found at Tuesday Morning (one and-a two) for my sister's daughter. but they don't know that!)

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I haven't yet found my father's 2016 puzzle, and the clock is ticking
    I found a fractal one with Riemann spheres, but it was only sold in the US. I bought it for some other time. @Lost Salient I completely forgot I was going to get him the 3D NY one (not that it would have fit in my luggage) - my sister and I are pooling our money for next year.

There's one around that's entirely black, but that seems like a copout. Going to search the national gallery today for something really agonizing.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    My mum is a jigsaw addict. She hates the 3D ones, but give her any 2d puzzle and she's in heaven. The more pieces the better.

For Christmas my little brother got her a miniature jigsaw. 150 pieces, each absolutely minuscule and, she quickly discovered, the same shape. It came in a packet that looked like a test tube. The image was of seven swans flying across a blue sky.

It took her two days to finish it. I've never heard her swear so much in my life.

She's now started on a 2,000 piece one Dad got her.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I was gifted a wooden jigsaw puzzle from Liberty Puzzles. Not sure if it's saw cut or laser or what but there are pieces shaped like chickens and men and women and flowers it's really quite something. 375 pieces 8.25"x18.75"

And the devious bastards cut it so there aren't any corners.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    k5sn1ygrs01s.jpg

This was their reply:
    x6uxagep40l0.jpg

@crwth

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I did one of those double sided no edges 10k piece puzzles back in the day, I'm pretty sure it made me bonkers.

Did this one other day
    jpkjc3le4yvi.jpg

Edit: The roof opens and closes ( it was a PAIN)

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    I got a couple 1,000 piece puzzles for xmas.

And I also got some Metal Earth model kits, not really a puzzle, but I'll post them here regardless:
    41Es081uYkL._AC_US160_.jpg41p6dRtXMDL._AC_US160_.jpg41WSNVf2LtL._AC_US160_.jpg
    I just need Enterprise D to complete the Star Trek Set. I hope they make more Star Trek models eventually.

...and definately want them to make Firefly Serenity ship and Rick's flying car from Rick and Morty.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I LOVE jigsaw puzzles

Buuuut I have a 6 year old and a cat so ....