As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best cheap digital camera for Ebay?

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
I'm looking for a digital camera that is cheap and connect to my computer through the usb port and give me blur free images for selling my ebay items.

Nothing special, as long as it doesn't blur while taking photos.

oHw5R0V.jpg

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    if you have any kind of decent smartphone it will take as good, or actually even better pictures than any cheap digital camera, the post processing in them is that good. You'd be surprised.

If that isn't an option....honestly it's been so long since i looked at anything but DSLR's a quick look at all of the budget offerings shows the cameras are basically the same in the cheap price range.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    The problem is, I am taking photos with a smart phone, but they 9/10 times the picture is blurry. The Pixel per inch is low and I'm also not getting the clearest of photos.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Also, define "cheap"?

If you're talking sub-$150, basically anything from a brand you've actually heard of (Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc) will be fine. Get a tripod, too.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    The problem is, I am taking photos with a smart phone, but they 9/10 times the picture is blurry. The Pixel per inch is low and I'm also not getting the clearest of photos.

What phone? Most smartphones you need to tap where you want it to focus or else it'll try focusing on unintended things depending on what's surrounding the object.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Your problem, almost certainly, is that you'll be takin photos in poor, indoor light with handheld camera.

Either find a way to mount your camera so it is fixed in place (there are tripod claw things that are designed for phones) or bring in extra lighting for yout shots, a couple of desk lamps pointed at the goods will help.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Your problem, almost certainly, is that you'll be takin photos in poor, indoor light with handheld camera.

Either find a way to mount your camera so it is fixed in place (there are tripod claw things that are designed for phones) or bring in extra lighting for yout shots, a couple of desk lamps pointed at the goods will help.

This. Get a tripod, and get a light you can point at whatever you are taking a picture of so you don't have to use the phone's flash.

That alone will get you a better picture than just the cheapest digital camera alone will.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    it also depends on what phone the op is using. If it is a cheap $150 unlocked phone, yea the camera is going to be crap. If it is any kind of decent phone it should be able to take decent photos.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    it also depends on what phone the op is using. If it is a cheap $150 unlocked phone, yea the camera is going to be crap. If it is any kind of decent phone it should be able to take decent photos.

With a tripod to stabalise the camera and taking shots of unmoving objects even a crappy camera on a crappy phone will be able to take good photos. A 20 year old 640x480 digi-cam from beyond the dawn of time will take good photos in those situations.

Basically I think it's worth the option to invest £20 in a small tripod and a mobile phone adapter for it and see how that goes before buying a new camera, especially as without the tripod and fixing the lighting no "nothing special" camera will produce anything other than a blurry image. Even my DSLR with a 1.8f 50mm prime produces blurry crap when taking handheld shots indoors under a single ceiling light.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.