As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Car Question - Multifunction Light Switch

deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
In multifunction light switch in the steering column, is there any electronics in it or do they only have only electrical contacts? I have one with a connector that looks like there may have been a short (connector partially melted, couple wire insulation slightly discolored) in the past and am wondering if anything in the switch itself may have been damaged. It's a used one I pulled off of a junk yard car. The plastic on the connector can be switched out.

It's a switch for a 1998 Oldsmobile Aurora. Cruise control buttons part of the switch. Part number 19259796. The gray, long connector.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-d6239a

Thanks

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Should just be electrical contacts, I switched out a similar one on my car last year. GM tended to use a lot of bare-minimum grade wire in that era which was "good enough" for 100k miles or so before things started getting melty. You should just be able to cut off the end of the connector and splice on a fresh one, either with your existing one or with a replacement at a standard auto parts store.

• Options
    deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Thanks for the response!

Is it normal for switches to have something rattle around inside of them (the main body of the switch the arm connects to)?

I got it off of a junk yard car with 210k miles on it. Didn't look like it was in an accident (at least as to how it ended up in the junk yard). Just want to make sure this thing is gonna work since it is a beast to install.

deathnote666 on
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I guess it would depend on the location and intensity of the rattle. IIRC those have a little slidey switch to flip between cruise Off/On/Resume, maybe that's rattling? On the whole though, the rattle is probably not a great sign.