As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad News... in a good way.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Also, Zappo's employee logs 11 hour call:

That's actually pretty cool.

I had a call go 25 minutes one time and got put on blast.

I think my record was about 1h 40m.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Bad news: It's pretty much impossible to keep kids from sticking their fingers up their nose.

Good news: Scientists found a species of bacteria in noses that produces a hitherto unknown class of antibiotic that even works against MRSA.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    So... picking your nose and eating it... is good?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    So... picking your nose and eating it... is good?

It was before the discovery , don't see why that would change it :biggrin:

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Bad news : Man posing as charity collector steals phones from people sunbathing in a park

Gone right : One of those people was an off duty policewoman who ran him down and tackled him before making an arrest.

Bikini-clad Swedish policewoman 'stops thief' (note headline photo in this story may be NSFW in particularly puritanical environments.)
    Ms Kellner reportedly became suspicious when the man began lingering, setting some papers down over their blanket.

As soon as he left, collecting his papers, one of her friends noticed that her phone was missing.

"There was no time, so I ran after him, maybe 15 metres or so," Ms Kellner told Swedish news site, The Local.

"One of my friends is also a police officer, so we got hold of him. He tried to get away so we held onto him harder."

The stolen phone was swiftly recovered, and the man was arrested by a police patrol.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Bad news : Man posing as charity collector steals phones from people sunbathing in a park

Gone right : One of those people was an off duty policewoman who ran him down and tackled him before making an arrest.

Bikini-clad Swedish policewoman 'stops thief' (note headline photo in this story may be NSFW in particularly puritanical environments.)
    Ms Kellner reportedly became suspicious when the man began lingering, setting some papers down over their blanket.

As soon as he left, collecting his papers, one of her friends noticed that her phone was missing.

"There was no time, so I ran after him, maybe 15 metres or so," Ms Kellner told Swedish news site, The Local.

"One of my friends is also a police officer, so we got hold of him. He tried to get away so we held onto him harder."

The stolen phone was swiftly recovered, and the man was arrested by a police patrol.

I think the "thief" is checking one off the bucket list with that one.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    How dumb do you have to be to try to steal from someone that ripped?

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

The only thing I'd want to steal from that lady is her lifting routine.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

Well, a snatch&grab would have been ridculously stupid. However ripped people are rarely more observant than others so I think he hoped to get away before the theft was even noticed.

P.S: Ms.Kellner is pretty much a smalltime celebrity in Sweden. She's participated in swedens version of Ninja Warrior several times and her Instagram, youtube and fitness site (she works extra as a fitnessinstructor) has a fair mount of followers in the fitnesscommunity.
    emp123 wrote: »

I don't think you can follow her fitnessroutine :p

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options

Hold my beer:
    https://youtu.be/5HoXKG68ZGI

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular

Well, a snatch&grab would have been ridculously stupid. However ripped people are rarely more observant than others so I think he hoped to get away before the theft was even noticed.

P.S: Ms.Kellner is pretty much a smalltime celebrity in Sweden. She's participated in swedens version of Ninja Warrior several times and her Instagram, youtube and fitness site (she works extra as a fitnessinstructor) has a fair mount of followers in the fitnesscommunity.

While I can't do a muscle up, I have seen a couple gymnasts perform it properly. I think she'd benefit a lot from learning how to do it correctly before trying to do reps. It seems quite easy to injure yourself with that particular exercise.

Kind of like how doing 5 proper push-ups is better than 15 crappy ones.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    While I can't do a muscle up, I have seen a couple gymnasts perform it properly. I think she'd benefit a lot from learning how to do it correctly before trying to do reps. It seems quite easy to injure yourself with that particular exercise.

Kind of like how doing 5 proper push-ups is better than 15 crappy ones.

Gymnasts do strict muscle-ups because judges subtracts for kipping muscle-ups. Some of those muscle-ups are kinda sloppy, but it seems like a move you need to practice for obstacle courses.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    From the Cannot Make This Shit Up Desk, Sovereign Citizen Ryan Bundy Files Legal Motion Declaring Himself an 'Idiot'
    In a frankly laudable display of self-awareness, one of the men who occupied a nature preserve in Oregon earlier this year has filed court documents declaring himself an “idiot” and “incompetent.” Ryan Bundy says he’s not subject to federal law, due to his idiocy.

Bundy is one of 26 people awaiting trial on federal conspiracy and firearms charges for occupying Oregon’s Malheur Nature Preserve for 41 days this winter. Both Ryan Bundy and his brother Ammon, also awaiting trial, consider themselves to be sovereign citizens, as does their father Cliven, who famously led a standoff against federal agents on public ranchland in 2014. (Ryan, Ammon, and their dad have also been indicted for that, because declaring the government isn’t the boss of you does not always make the government go away).

The Oregon Public Broadcasting Network, in a story we saw via Talking Points Memo, reports that Bundy is resorting to increasingly bizarre legal filings to try to get his charges dismissed. From the OPB:
    Bundy, who is representing himself in the conspiracy case against the refuge occupiers, declares himself an “idiot of the ‘Legal Society’” and not subject to federal law, according to the documents.

“I, ryan c, man, am an idiot of the ‘Legal Society’; and; am an idiot (layman, outsider) of the ‘Bar Association’; and; i am incompetent; and; am not required by any law to be competent,” Bundy wrote in a motion filed to U.S. District Court Judge Anna Brown.

Well, at least he's being honest about himself.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Bad News? A Woman was humiliated by a Louisville Jail by bringing her to court with no pants

Gone Right? Judge takes significant umbrage at those involved with the fuckery.

https://youtu.be/RUKCIHzTR-0

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Bad news: It's pretty much impossible to keep kids from sticking their fingers up their nose.

Good news: Scientists found a species of bacteria in noses that produces a hitherto unknown class of antibiotic that even works against MRSA.

I posted some thoughts on this in the science thread.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

I posted some thoughts on this in the science thread.

... did you wash your hands first?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Bad: jumping out of a plane without a chute.

Really dumb but gone right: jumping out of a plane without a chute into a safety net.

https://youtu.be/g8j0YFzmqWc

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Bad: jumping out of a plane without a chute.

Really dumb but gone right: jumping out of a plane without a chute into a safety net.

https://youtu.be/g8j0YFzmqWc

With your wife and little kid standing in the audience.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    On live* TV

*Live TV feed slightly delayed just in case he goes splat.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Man puts out boat fire by using water jets from a flyboard

A flyboard is basically a surfboard that flies behind a boat by jetting out water for propulsion.

https://youtu.be/jb4ye88h1ZQ
    CROSS LAKE, Minn. -- A boat fire caused quite a scene on a northern Minnesota lake Saturday afternoon and it wasn't just the smoke and flames that caught people's attention.

A flyboard was used to extinguish the flames on Cross Lake. Paul Gavic, who owns Sky High Flyboard, says he and his sons were at their cabin when they noticed a boat on fire across the lake. His boys went to assist and it took one of them about two minutes to put out the fire using the water propelled from his flyboard.

The occupants of the boat managed to escape to a nearby pontoon and no injuries were reported.

Gavic says the Cross Lake Fire Department helped with the cleanup.

Flyboards are skateboard-like contraptions that use water pumped through a jet ski to elevate into the air.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

"Bro, you been doing the heavy bag at the gym lately, huh?"

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I like that blue shirt is keeping the other people from stopping the fight. And also that they shake hands.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Did you see the hit thay connected before they shook hands? Looked pretty solid.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I think the guy just had one of those out-fucking-skilled moments as he took that hit that knocked his hat off and decided it would be better to end the fight there while he was still upright. It's like Mike Tyson said
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I think the guy just had one of those out-fucking-skilled moments as he took that hit that knocked his hat off and decided it would be better to end the fight there while he was still upright. It's like Mike Tyson said
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

"and then they bite a chunk of ear off"

• Options
    edited August 2016
    President Obama looked into his giant bag of fucks, found it bereft of any to give to the obstructionists, and thus gave 214 federal prisoners convicted of nonviolent crimes (67 of whom had life sentences) a second chance:
    This news likely carries special weight to the 67 individuals serving life sentences—almost all for nonviolent drug crimes—who, up until today, could only imagine what it might be like to once again attend a loved one's birthday party, walk their child to school, or simply go to the grocery store. All of the individuals receiving commutation today, incarcerated under outdated and unduly harsh sentencing laws, embody the President's belief that "America is a nation of second chances."

Edit: It's worth pointing out that this is President Obama's birthday. And yet he's giving these people one of the best gifts ever - a future.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Bad news: The Missouri Governor has further cut their public defender budget, despite already being 49th in the country and systemically underrepresenting poor minority communities.

In a good way: The director of Missouri's Public Defender system realizes he has the authority to compel any lawyer in the state to act as a public defender, and appoints the (lawyer) governor as a public defender.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Bad news: The Missouri Governor has further cut their public defender budget, despite already being 49th in the country and systemically underrepresenting poor minority communities.

In a good way: The director of Missouri's Public Defender system realizes he has the authority to compel any lawyer in the state to act as a public defender, and appoints the (lawyer) governor as a public defender.

This is the best. Just the best. I mean, that law WILL get changed quickly, but...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

He may be a democrat, but I'm kinda glad Jay Nixon can't run for another term.

Especially since after Ferguson, he'd probably lose to Eric "Exploding Barrels" Greitens.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Polaritie wrote: »

This is the best. Just the best. I mean, that law WILL get changed quickly, but...

Missouri state legislature is out of session until January, and Nixon will no longer be governor by then. Special session can be called with a 3/4s majority from both houses, but it's a Republican super-majority legislature and a Democrat Governor, so I suspect most of the state reps and senators are enjoying the schadenfreude as much as we are, though for different reasons.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it was probably the legislature who passed the cut in some other law, and Nixon signed it because they were going to beat the veto anyway.

EDIT2: Wait, the letter begins with a veto Nixon did back in 09, nevermind.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular

I have a feeling was practicing martial arts like Colonel Stuart in Die Hard 2 when he saw this on the news.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    hungry-bear-caught-riding-top-garbage-truck-mexico

Bear gets dumbed into a garbage truck. Goes for a ride.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    hungry-bear-caught-riding-top-garbage-truck-mexico

Bear gets dumbed into a garbage truck. Goes for a ride.

Silly old bear.

• Options
    Speaking of bears in strange places, Beach Bears in Tahoe:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cJX_pmEjGk

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    President Obama looked into his giant bag of fucks, found it bereft of any to give to the obstructionists, and thus gave 214 federal prisoners convicted of nonviolent crimes (67 of whom had life sentences) a second chance:
    This news likely carries special weight to the 67 individuals serving life sentences—almost all for nonviolent drug crimes—who, up until today, could only imagine what it might be like to once again attend a loved one's birthday party, walk their child to school, or simply go to the grocery store. All of the individuals receiving commutation today, incarcerated under outdated and unduly harsh sentencing laws, embody the President's belief that "America is a nation of second chances."

Edit: It's worth pointing out that this is President Obama's birthday. And yet he's giving these people one of the best gifts ever - a future.

Did he also change the underlying culture of America where people who did time in prison are actually treated as employable people and thus are given opportunity the same as anyone else?

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Of course not, such is not within the president's power.

Nonsense question for the sole purpose of looking a gift horse in the mouth.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Did he also change the underlying culture of America where people who did time in prison are actually treated as employable people and thus are given opportunity the same as anyone else?

Define "did"

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Do you think these people would prefer to remain in prison, as opposed to being free with the deck stacked heavily against them?

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Speaking of bears in strange places, Beach Bears in Tahoe:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cJX_pmEjGk

Not so strange: There are a large number of black bears in the Lake Tahoe area. The state is experiencing a historic drought, making the lake an obvious draw. The black bear population, while usually shy about direct confrontations with humans, are approximately as habituated to humans as a typical raccoon. They'll keep an eye on you, and as long as you don't do anything that upsets them they will keep on keeping on. If you yell at them or start banging pots and pans, they will nearly always run off. If you just stand there and film them they will happily help themselves to your garbage or whatever they were doing when you spotted them.

This discussion has been closed.