As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rotting deer carcass-what do I do?

knitdanknitdan In ur baseKillin ur guysRegistered User regular
We have discovered that there is a dead deer on our property. It's back in the woods a bit, but it's really starting to stink and we can smell it at the house.

Is there anything I can to do mitigate the smell?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
-Indiana Solo, runner of blades

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Call animal control, I think they'll take care of it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    We have discovered that there is a dead deer on our property. It's back in the woods a bit, but it's really starting to stink and we can smell it at the house.

in time it will stop

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Unless you remove the carcass not much can be done to stop the smell until time/bugs/animals/bacteria do their thing.

Call your city/town/county info line or animal control and they should have a service to get rid of it.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    mts wrote: »

in time it will stop

#EatAtArby's

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    We're in a rural area, so there's no animal control. It's also in some pretty thick woods and not close to the road so I doubt the county would come and haul it off.

I think my stepdad is going to try and find put down some lime tomorrow.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    We're in a rural area, so there's no animal control. It's also in some pretty thick woods and not close to the road so I doubt the county would come and haul it off.

I think my stepdad is going to try and find put down some lime tomorrow.

I don't know how much that will do for the smell. It may increase it for a time. Really, with natural decay and exposure to critters, it shouldn't last long.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I grew up in a rural area, and anytime something like this happened we just poured lime on it and it seemed to help.

• Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    Covering it with a bag of kitty litter + baking soda might help

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Don't do kitty litter. If anything use lime since that helps the soil

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Lime will help with the oder but it will also slow down decomposition.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Try lighting it on fire .

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Try lighting it on fire .

Yeah, stack some wood on it, douse with diesel or kerosene. Do not use gasoline.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    You'd need a pretty good sized fire to burn up a dead deer.

• Options
    The smell is not nearly as bad today, I think we might just let it run its course.

Some of you are giving terrible advice though

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Well, once the deer is done decomposing, definitely gather up the bones and use them to create a warning to other deer, so that they avoid dying on your property again.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    The smell is not nearly as bad today, I think we might just let it run its course.

It'll take about 2 weeks for nature to sort out the stink. I've had something similar happen.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    The best advice is obviously to get there faster next time, because venison jerky is amazing.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular

Let me know if you end up with some deer bones after decomposition has run its course. I will take them off your hands.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Well, once the deer is done decomposing, definitely gather up the bones and use them to create a warning to other deer, so that they avoid dying on your property again.

Whoa whoa whoa. There’s still plenty of meat on that bone. Take it home, throw it in a pot, add some broth, and a potato. Baby, you’ve got a stew going.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Whoa whoa whoa. There’s still plenty of meat on that bone. Take it home, throw it in a pot, add some broth, and a potato. Baby, you’ve got a stew going.

But, before you do that, maybe take a page from Star Wars and cuddle up in that deer's innards for warmth on a cold night?

see317 on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    wcbdrebedbcd.gif

I uhh

I'm gonna need the bones

If you could put them in a bag for me

Xaquin on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

Oh, well look who's Deer Disposal expert all of a sudden

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I don't have to be an expert to know "eat rotting meat" and "set it on fire" aren't viable options.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I don't have to be an expert to know "eat rotting meat" and "set it on fire" aren't viable options.

Not with that attitude.

<3

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Anyway. A little late, but a friend of mine from Norrland who isn't unused to animals dying in his forest in sometimes awkward locations.

Well. His suggestion is basically to dig a hole more than two feet deep, dump the carcass in the hole, fill the hole halfway up with dirt, pour in a load of water (to create a solid layer of mud which will reduce the smell) and fill it up with more dirt. If you want to make sure that animals don't dig it up, put rocks over it.

To move the carcass a tarp of cheap organic sackcloth (like burlap) and disposable plastic gloves. Or if you don't even want to get that close, two guys can use sturdy wooden planks as levers to get it ontop of the tarp which can then be dragged into the hole.

P.S: Unless you have a real incinerator or enough wood to create a large bonfire that will last for hours. Then don't burn it.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden