As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Stranger Things] The Rollerskate Of Justice (Season 4 OPEN SPOILERS)

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    During the last three episodes or so, there was a pretty bad lightning/thunderstorm going on outside. Helped wig me out pretty good, lol.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Episode 6:
    Yeah you telekinetically break that asshole kid's arm, El!

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I watched it. So good.
    Really sad ending.

What is this I don't even.
    edited August 2016
    Also, they definitely ended in a way where they could not have another season, or do something else. They even address it in the final D&D game, "what about the lost knight, the haughty princess or the strange flowers in the cave?" You don't have to give every answer for a good adventure.

I'm just sad that the girl who'd never known love or family, created by someone else and abused/forced to feel responsible for the world, sacrificed herself for the very first person to seem like family.

Darkewolfe on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Also, they definitely ended in a way where they could not have another season, or do something else. They even address it in the final D&D game, "what about the lost knight, the haughty princess or the strange flowers in the cave?" You don't have to give every answer for a good adventure.

I'm just sad that the girl who'd never known love or family, created by someone else and abused/forced to feel responsible for the world, sacrificed herself for the very first person to seem like family.
    They're doing another season.

I know, I just meant that they could leave it there.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    my brother texted me
    "What about Barb?!"

last night at like 12:30am and i just now realized what that random out of nowhere text meant

he apparently just binge watched yesterday

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Episode 6:
    Yeah you telekinetically break that asshole kid's arm, El!
    Him pissing his pants is still my favorite.

That's a small town. He's gonna be known as the pants pissed for the next six decades or so.

edited August 2016
    Chanus wrote: »
    my brother texted me
    "What about Barb?!"

last night at like 12:30am and i just now realized what that random out of nowhere text meant

he apparently just binge watched yesterday
    Most of the legitimately nice, good, even blameless people get fucked, right? Barb: really good friend, didn't harm anyone, looked out for friend's best interest. Consumed utterly in hell world and turned into a hatchery. Eleven: Mistreated, kind-hearted child used by everyone around her. Black Ops weaponized her; even her "new family" mostly used her to get Will back. She either dies or locks herself in upside down to try to hold the door. The guy who owned the bar and fed Eleven: Killed and made to look like a suicide. Will: kindest, gentlest of the kids, locked in upside down for weeks and maybe now turned into a living portal to demon world, or at best totally fucked in the head. Hell, even Sheriff Grimes doesn't really come out better than he went in. Forced to relive the trauma of his daughter's death, he makes a deal with the devil to try to protect the folks he still can, and then at the end he continues to isolate himself, but now with the weight of ANOTHER daughter proxy's death/sacrifice on his hands.

Amazing show, but it was fucking dark at the end.

Darkewolfe on
    edited August 2016
    Also, complete speculation, but: Originally I thought the monster in upside down was like a langolear. They're not in a fully formed alternate dimension, they're in a shadow of our world, which doesn't really feel like a many worlds step over to the next dimension. So maybe the monster was "clean up" for the thin dimensions next to ours.

Now I'm thinking something different. I'm going back to the "many worlds" theory, but I'm going to say the monster ends dimensions. It's an all consuming, completely wipe out a dimension thing. Eleven connected its dimension to ours by touching it. That's why it was able to make it back to ours. Eleven created one, huge portal in the lab. The monster, however, could create thinnies anywhere within range of the portal, which suggests it has some extra dimension hopping ability. The time when Eleven makes contact, it's in a completely empty world, except it's eating SOMETHING. The upside down is only populated with more stuff when non-psychics travel to it, maybe bringing traces of their dimension over. I think it's either finishing off that dimension, or gnawing its way into our dimension over a long period of time. I think it's part of a species that sends copies of itself into other dimensions and consumes them utterly. There was at least one egg in its dimension, but we never saw multiple monsters. It's weird that there was both an egg in its dimension, AND it impregnated Will aliens style. It made a host of Deb. Why the egg?

Alternatively it's just the empty space below ours. But something lives there. It seems like strong concepts or places populate the upside down. Will's fort. Deb's body. Traces of the real world that are incomplete. But why is there a monster just below to begin with?

Edit:
    Or is it really just the psychic manifestation plane? Populated by strong emotion altogether, it's a world created by people's psyches? A true psychic could travel there, but everyone leaves an impression on it. Is the monster an independent thing, or just an incarnation of the dark things of the human psyche?

Did everyone do this as soon as they finished the show? I don't watch a ton of tv, so if something is good enough to watch it it tends to occupy me heavily. I had bad dreams all night and am glum today.

Darkewolfe on
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Finished it with the wife two nights ago. Utterly absorbing entertainment. I think Astaereth is right about this not being about anything, and that being not necessarily a bad thing. The tone, world building, characters, setting, they all carried me along just fine.

Random thoughts follow.

Hopper
    No way a cop, even a "big city cop", would immediately tear his house apart looking for the listening device. Also, once he learned the body was fake, giving him had proof that something fishy was going on, he did not even consider going through official channels, because he knew it would be pointless. I can't say what he used to be, but I can tell you he wasn't just a cop.

El
    Awesome acting here. Millie Bobby Brown conveyed fear, anger, happiness, angst, determination, all those with only a handful of spoken lines. Also, I love that head snap she does when she is snapping others necks.

The Monster and Upside Down
    I don't think Upside Down is a full-fledged dimension, and I don't think the Monster originated there. I think it's more of a pocket dimension where our dimension and the Monster's home dimension come together, and there is an overlap plain for all dimensions. These overlap plains may always exist, or they may pop into existence only when differing dimensions make contact. The Monster has natural dimension hopping abilities, and is actually a predator specialized in dimensional hunting. When El made contact with it, the Monster came to the Upside Down, then made forays into our dimension. It only made short trips to hunt because our dimension is toxic to it. Despite it's power and durability, it's slow, and has very poor senses (or senses poorly adapted to our dimension), explaining why Will was able to evade it.

The organic dimensional gate was just very cool, as dimensional gates are usually bright and swirly, maybe with electricity.

Man, what a ride.

• useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    my friend has never seen it.
    I told her to watch it with her family (16 year old daughter , 5 year old son, husband) but before she does put up christmas tree lights behind your couch just like (shows her a screenshot)... BUT DONT TURN THEM ON.

When it gets to the point - and you will know which point it is right away - please turn them on.

I so hope she does it.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    useless4 wrote: »
    I told her to watch it with her family (16 year old daughter , 5 year old son, husband) but before she does put up christmas tree lights behind your couch just like (shows her a screenshot)... BUT DONT TURN THEM ON.

When it gets to the point - and you will know which point it is right away - please turn them on.

I so hope she does it.

Calm down there, Satan.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    useless4 wrote: »

I so hope she does it.

Calm down there, Satan.

the 5 year old is satan. they caffeinate him and let him watch real horror movies.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Finished it at 5AM this morning.

Please tell me they're making a sweet 80s-inspired physical Bluray/DVD set.

• DunderDunder Registered User regular
    staryed this at 9 pm today... Shit, I'm gonna binge this whole thing, I can't stop watching.

• DunderDunder Registered User regular
    Ep 5. Hmm answers are coming too fast, but I guess with only 8 eps it has to.

Yeah, I feel like they do reveal a lot of the big picture by about halfway through. Kinda expected a lot of the mystery to remain hidden until maybe the last 5-10 minutes of Episode 6.

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Will (Full season spoiler)
    I like how in the last bit that we see Will his coughing up a slug and shifting into the upsidedown doesn't seem to be a big issue to him. Guessing he has been coughing up slugs the entire month and shifting from time to time. Now after all that happened you would think that would be something you tell your brother and mom who fought monsters and travelled across dimensions to save you, but I don't think he is quite himself anymore
    I don't know, he seemed pretty non-plussed about it happening.
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Finished it with the wife two nights ago. Utterly absorbing entertainment. I think Astaereth is right about this not being about anything, and that being not necessarily a bad thing. The tone, world building, characters, setting, they all carried me along just fine.

Random thoughts follow.

Hopper
    No way a cop, even a "big city cop", would immediately tear his house apart looking for the listening device. Also, once he learned the body was fake, giving him had proof that something fishy was going on, he did not even consider going through official channels, because he knew it would be pointless. I can't say what he used to be, but I can tell you he wasn't just a cop.

El
    Awesome acting here. Millie Bobby Brown conveyed fear, anger, happiness, angst, determination, all those with only a handful of spoken lines. Also, I love that head snap she does when she is snapping others necks.

I don't think Upside Down is a full-fledged dimension, and I don't think the Monster originated there. I think it's more of a pocket dimension where our dimension and the Monster's home dimension come together, and there is an overlap plain for all dimensions. These overlap plains may always exist, or they may pop into existence only when differing dimensions make contact. The Monster has natural dimension hopping abilities, and is actually a predator specialized in dimensional hunting. When El made contact with it, the Monster came to the Upside Down, then made forays into our dimension. It only made short trips to hunt because our dimension is toxic to it. Despite it's power and durability, it's slow, and has very poor senses (or senses poorly adapted to our dimension), explaining why Will was able to evade it.

The organic dimensional gate was just very cool, as dimensional gates are usually bright and swirly, maybe with electricity.

Man, what a ride.

El/MBB
    Apparently that was an acting decision by Millie. No one told her to do it.

Nothing. Matters.
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Will (Full season spoiler)
    I like how in the last bit that we see Will his coughing up a slug and shifting into the upsidedown doesn't seem to be a big issue to him. Guessing he has been coughing up slugs the entire month and shifting from time to time. Now after all that happened you would think that would be something you tell your brother and mom who fought monsters and travelled across dimensions to save you, but I don't think he is quite himself anymore
    I don't know, he seemed pretty non-plussed about it happening.

Random thoughts follow.

Hopper

El

Man, what a ride.

El/MBB
    Apparently that was an acting decision by Millie. No one told her to do it.

That is so awesome. If she keeps this up she's gonna be a major star in the not to distant future.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The kids were all great. I hope they're well taken care of after this. Hollywood doesn't have a great history with child actors.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Yeah, I feel like they do reveal a lot of the big picture by about halfway through. Kinda expected a lot of the mystery to remain hidden until maybe the last 5-10 minutes of Episode 6.

That's why I love this as a series and not a movie.
    In the movie, all the divergent plot lines would collide ten minutes out and before you can enjoy the full throttle ride as the heroes overcome the problem has been solved and the credits roll.

But in this series, you get to ride that wave two whole episodes of every main character working together overcoming and sort'a winning the day.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    There's an amazing original soundtrack album out with all the soundtracks from the series

It's also on spotify and it's amazing!

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

Man, what a ride.

I think Upside Down and the real world
    are bleeding into each other. The copy of the town and surrounding area doesn't belong in the Upside Down any more then the monster and weird growths belongs on earth. I'm kind of wondering if the whole Upside Down is actually one living organism and if it's actually trying to feed on our world or if it's more treating us as an infection with the monster being one tiny cell of its immune system and the slugs are like antibodies.

Siska on
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The latest episode of my podcast is all about Stranger Things (and 80s movies). Check it out on the site or subscribe on iTunes to listen.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

I'm sure someone else already said it, but they need to do VHS tapes.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I wonder what the reception would have been if Netflix had commissioned the series to be in 4:3.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Siska wrote: »

Man, what a ride.

I think Upside Down and the real world
    are bleeding into each other. The copy of the town and surrounding area doesn't belong in the Upside Down any more then the monster and weird growths belongs on earth. I'm kind of wondering if the whole Upside Down is actually one living organism and if it's actually trying to feed on our world or if it's more treating us as an infection with the monster being one tiny cell of its immune system and the slugs are like antibodies.
    Oh yeah! That was the other thing I'd been thinking on but had sort of shelved. The portals seem organic somehow. Is Upside Down a parasite dimension? That would be really interesting!

Exactly what the podmonster was feeding on before Eleven made contact is one of the things I could think could be a revealing answer.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    I wonder what the reception would have been if Netflix had commissioned the series to be in 4:3.

pandering to nostalgia gone too far and producing an inferior product

there is nothing good about 4:3 may it stay dead forever

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Didn't the last vhs making company finally close down recently? Unless they find another company willing to make a special order or something.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Pretty bad, but you can always get someone to hold the rabbit ears.

steam_sig.png
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular

Pretty bad, but you can always get someone to hold the rabbit ears.

Boo, but also :+1:

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Films were being made in widescreen formats for decades before the 80s, it's not like the series was nostalgic about the 1940s or something.

Also I don't think that Netflix would have been the one making that call, it would have been a creative decision.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The widescreen format was basically the movie theater industry desperately trying to one up the home television market. They were trying to get people to come back to the theaters by offering them something they couldn't get from their 4:3 tv at home.

Kubrick got so pissed off at the butchering that his films like 2001 got for the pan and scan 4:3 tv versions that he filmed some of his later movies in 4:3 and then had them physically matted to widescreen with curtains at the theaters.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    MichaelLC wrote: »

I'm sure someone else already said it, but they need to do VHS tapes.

I'd rather they didn't.

HOWEVER, if they did something like this with the Blurays in the box, I wouldn't be mad at them.

3044547-inline-i-1-vhs-tapes.jpg

1 VHS case made to look old and dated.

jungleroomx on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Season 2 confirmed by Netflix for 2017.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    video with episode titles (spoiler warning?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXWG_kKDZlY
    "The Boy Who Came Back To Life" seems like a tacit confirmation this is a continuation of season 1 to me

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    more like cameron_slowly