As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Stranger Things] The Rollerskate Of Justice (Season 4 OPEN SPOILERS)

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Duffel wrote: »
    8) Barb. Just... Barb :(

#JusticeForBarb

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Finale:
    I thought it was a bit weird that the kids were seemingly totally ok with El killing a bunch of people in a rather gruesome way.

Ending was also a bit more of a downer than I expected. Felt like the ending to a King novel though.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Igpx407 wrote: »
    So I watched this show over the course of last week, and I have some long, rambling, and very personal thoughts on it. Writing them down seemed like a good idea, and this seemed like a good place to do it.
    This show was basically made for me. The small town horror that Stephen King is so masterful at creating is one of the reasons I pursued a degree in writing in college. I love those types of stories, and I want to be able to tell them some day. Twin Peaks, Alan Wake, Salem's Lot, Gravity Falls, and the X-Files are my jam.

What I wanted to specifically address though is that the finale hit me like a fucking freight train. When i was 19 (I'm 27 now) my mom (a single mother) died of pancreatic cancer after fighting for a year. Having a character dying of cancer is an easy way to immediately make me sad (looking at you Guardians of the Galaxy), because even with all the time that has passed it feels like something I'm not ever supposed to be OK with. It's always a fresh scab. So everything about Chief Hopper's backstory floored me. Every flashback was very painful to watch, but i thought they did an excellent job of weaving the loss of his daughter in with trying to save Will.

Somehow that wasn't even the worst of it though. Having to watch Eleven go out in a blaze of glory to save Mike and the others super sucked. I don't even mind melancholy or dark endings. The Thing, The Mist, and Drag Me to Hell are all movies I think have great endings.

I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but something about Eleven sacrificing herself makes me profoundly sad in a way I haven't felt since Steve Zissou found the jaguar shark. The Life Aquatic was a movie I saw after my mom passed, and it's movie about two grown men trying to find themselves after the loss of a loved one (including one who lost their mother to cancer!). I wouldn't even consider it to be one of Wes Anderson's best films, but it's the only time I've been truly touched and left to reflect on my own life by a piece of media, and Stranger Things has evoked similar feelings in me.

As I said above I don't mind a dark ending, but I need Eleven to get her happy ending. I'm glad season 2 is revisiting these characters because I'm hoping she gets left in a better place next time.

So yeah. I know I took a pretty deep dive in this spoiler tag, but this show hit some very personal notes for me, and I really wanted to get my feelings out there.
    Yeah, my wife had cancer, and while she died of an unrelated complication, all of those scenes with cancer really hit me hard. So I sympathize with those feelings, along with Eleven going out in a blaze of glory.

I'm really glad the final episode had flashbacks of the sheriff, though. He seems a LOT more badass and aware of various government agencies and tricks, though, than a typical police officer, so I'm wondering if his backstory includes service in Vietnam or something.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Barb is frumpy Emma Stone

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Barb's scene
    in the pool was classic horror. The blurry shot of the monster turning around, the doomed escape attempt

She really sold those screams. Really creepy.

The monster itself was a bit disappointing after being revealed. The first episode it showed telekinetic abilities, too, but it didn't seem to have those later.

Also I'm not clear on how Will communicated with his mom - how did he know when she was holding lights, or when she painted letters on the wall? The upside down must mirror our world bu then wouldn't we see objects floating around in there?

It seems like the show runners weren't super certain about the mechanics of things at the start. I was certain the first attack was going to be a sort of red herring and Will would have been another experiment kid with electrokinesis who escaped the monster by transforming. For like four eps I was thinking this!

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Barb's scene
    in the pool was classic horror. The blurry shot of the monster turning around, the doomed escape attempt

The monster itself was a bit disappointing after being revealed. The first episode it showed telekinetic abilities, too, but it didn't seem to have those later.

Also I'm not clear on how Will communicated with his mom - how did he know when she was holding lights, or when she painted letters on the wall? The upside down must mirror our world bu then wouldn't we see objects floating around in there?

It seems like the show runners weren't super certain about the mechanics of things at the start. I was certain the first attack was going to be a sort of red herring and Will would have been another experiment kid with electrokinesis who escaped the monster by transforming. For like four eps I was thinking this!

My guess would be
    since that's the area the monster was crossing over the barrier there was weaker than other places. Letting Will communicate. Another thing I noticed was when they were on the otherside there were still lit streetlights. Maybe electricity exists in both places

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Barb's scene

i was confused by why will was for some reason spared by the monster initially and able to hide.

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Barb's scene

i was confused by why will was for some reason spared by the monster initially and able to hide.
    If Barb hadn't been pulled into the pool, she might have been able to get away and hide as well.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    One more interesting thing that separates this from 80s horror:
    The girl who has sex lives; the "good girl" dies.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    One more interesting thing that separates this from 80s horror:
    The girl who has sex lives; the "good girl" dies.

definitely didn't have all the stupid moralizing bullshit nature will pay you back for your sins nonsense

which was nice

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

I wasn't even a 10th as cool at my peak as Caleb McLaughlin is right now.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Barb's scene

His fort was a good spot for some reason?

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Barb's scene

My guess would be
    since that's the area the monster was crossing over the barrier there was weaker than other places. Letting Will communicate. Another thing I noticed was when they were on the otherside there were still lit streetlights. Maybe electricity exists in both places

yeah but i mean,
    what did Will see? human proximity in the upside-down causes electrical effects in our world, that's clear, but how would Will know his mother was holding lights, or where the lights were on the wall for the alphabet, or even that there was an alphabet?

If it's because the UD mirrored our world enough to duplicate those objects even when moved short term, we should have seen much more of that in other places. If not, I don't understand how the communication happened.

It smacks a bit of the writers deciding on the scene and spooky events happening before they fully decided what the Upside Down is and how it works.

What we saw ended up being surprisingly mundane? I was expecting something a lot weirder with how strange the events were in the house and with Will, and with this faceless creature roaming around taking people (which ended up just being some kind of extremely resilient superpredator). My guess now is that the thing engages in some kind of parasitic reproduction cycle, and maybe it's the last living thing in that world because it's so nasty? Maybe some experiment gone wrong.

I'm sure they'll expand on it in future seasons if they get them.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Will (Full season spoiler)
    I like how in the last bit that we see Will his coughing up a slug and shifting into the upsidedown doesn't seem to be a big issue to him. Guessing he has been coughing up slugs the entire month and shifting from time to time. Now after all that happened you would think that would be something you tell your brother and mom who fought monsters and travelled across dimensions to save you, but I don't think he is quite himself anymore

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Sometimes, people just wish traumatic shit was over, and talking about it gives it more power.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    FeloniousmozFeloniousmoz Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Kid's getting an Atari for Christmas. Priorities.

Edit: spoiler'd, just in case

Feloniousmoz on
    Steam: FeloniousMoz
  • Options
    Rips into his next present to find E.T.: The Video Game.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Are these outfits a reference, seems familiar but I can't place it

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    a reference to being cool af

i dunno they might be but i'm not picking it up

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Winona Ryder is 4 feet tall!

• Options
    Lucas and Dustin look like Crocket and Tubbs switched outfits.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Kid's getting an Atari for Christmas. Priorities.

Edit: spoiler'd, just in case

Given the year thats actually some impressive foreshadowing for negative events

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

Are these outfits a reference, seems familiar but I can't place it

Also looks like the 1st Ed. AD&D lineup for halflings, dwarves, elves, and humans.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    in that pic I see:

two old pros with nothing left to prove

two kids who think this is real neat

two new champions fkin workin it like 'this carpet was rolled out for me.'

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    staplerofpaperstaplerofpaper Registered User regular
    Is the score for this going to be released anytime soon? I know it's done by a couple of dudes from S U R V I V E but the song that plays near the beginning of episode 1, as the D&D game gets interrupted and everyone leaves on their bikes to go home... I need it. I'll pay. I think it shows up again later during a scene at the junk yard too, could be wrong.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Think figured it out, dunno if they intended but very close to suits and dresses main chars wear to dance in back to the future

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

Never mind, apparently I can't tell kids apart.

Atlas in Chains on
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    honovere wrote: »
    Finale:
    I thought it was a bit weird that the kids were seemingly totally ok with El killing a bunch of people in a rather gruesome way.

Ending was also a bit more of a downer than I expected. Felt like the ending to a King novel though.
    I think at that age boys would probably not process they just saw a bunch of dudes get literally murdered in front of them. Especially when it happened via basically super powers. It is probably something that would hit them years later but in the moment I can see little boys thinking that was incredible.

kaid on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    kaid wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »
    Finale:

I think at that age boys would probably not process they just saw a bunch of dudes get literally murdered in front of them. Especially when it happened via basically super powers. It is probably something that would hit them years later but in the moment I can see little boys thinking that was incredible.
    Also they were in full flight/fight mode and could very well internally justify it as self defense, since those were bad guys.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    @Doodmann you should probably put that in spoilers, though it is still pretty vague.

Ending spoilers about the kids and stuff
    Kids can rationalize away a shit ton of stuff. Not to say it isn't effecting them, or won't in the future, but they can be really resilient. They could also have been talking about it among themselves over the last few months and we aren't shown that.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    If I were to hazard a guess about the finale scene in question;
    I could see rationalizing it as 'for the good of the party'.

They were 'bad guys' trying to hurt a friend, and they immediately escaped.

It seems like the kind of thing that might haunt them, but not necessarily right in that moment. Between all the assholes running around with guns and the actual monster in the area, getting the shit out and doing what it took to survive probably trumped other considerations.

That said, massive balls to remain focused like they did.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Alan Sepinwall from Hitfix did one of the better interviews I've seen with the Duffer brothers.

Spoilers abound, so don't check it out unless you are done with the show. It does address some things that have come up in discussion here at times with regards to the end.

It was interesting to read that the scripts for the last 3 episodes weren't finished until they'd already started filming, and so were influenced by the performances early on. Also that Dustin as a character changed quite a bit once they found Gaten Matarazzo, and that the part was rewritten specifically for him.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Finale spoilers
    Theres is absolutely no way they missed Wills little problem at the hospital. One X-Ray would have shown something in his stomach/lungs. They definitely did an MRI as,well given there was a tube half as long as he was shoved down his torso/spoiler]
    To be fair, its the spawn of an otherworldly horror that can slip between dimensions seemingly at will, erasing its portals behind it with only the occasional slime left behind.

On top of having an interdimensional slug in him, theres a high chance that Will's himself has dimensional issues considering he flickered in between the bathroom and Upside Down.

Who knows how all of this plays with MRIs or XRays
    Regarding medical stuff
    Unless it was in his lungs it probably wouldn't show up on an XRay. It's presumably made of something with the approximate density as human tissue. My sister's dog ate a peach pit it couldn't pass and they had to do surgery to find it because they couldn't see it on scans.

As for MRIs, those only started being available in the early 80s, so a small town hospital may not have had one handy, or it might have been prohibitively expensive to use on someone who seemed to mostly be suffering from malnutrition, dehydration, and stress.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
  • Options
    "Stephen King novel" is the first thing I thought when I saw the title sequence logo.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    What a wicked awesome show. I'd seen the thing on Netflix but hadn't watched any of it, and late Tuesday night my very good friend whose interests are basically a mirror of mine told me I needed to watch it immediately. Of course he was right.

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Regarding hooper
    So, when he found the kids in the junkyard bus, after beating up the weird G-Men.
    Notice how those WERE NOT the Hawkins Energy G-Men... They were Men in Black with MIB cars.
    The Hawkins secret labs people drove around in white vans, were plains clothes, overalls or full military uniforms.

and then Hooper "beat up" the 3 or 4 MiBs off-camera, alone, without gunshots...

Then he entered the same MiB black car at the end.
    My guess is he was working with a third party, another gvmt agency, and he gave up El so that the Hawkins guys got reckt in the school with the Demogorgon.
    Then he was debriefed.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png