As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFRK] Thread's dead, baby; thread's dead.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    At least Terra and Celes can be pretty awesome.

Edgar isn't terrible, though that's largely on the back of knight skills being so good.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Narbus wrote: »
    Darklyre wrote: »
    So I'm probably not going to have enough MHOs to home Saint Cross to R3, nor enough MDOs for R3 Dark Zone. Is R2 in either skill worth it?

Should I instead use the extra orbs to make something like R3 Full Charge or R2 Multi Break now, our save them up for R3s in the others?

R2 of both of those will give you 8 big hits, they're worth it. Depending on your relics, you can be more clever about who you bring, and tag them with another useful skill. Agrias/Celes can use Saints Cross and Drain Strike, etc etc.

Soon. Celes doesn't have Knight 5 yet, but soon.

Sooooooooooooon.

According to the official FFRK site, she's had it ever since the last balance update.

Just nobody's told her yet.

Yah, I'm hoping it kicks in during her event on the 14th.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Hah, Ichigeki, that awesome dagger that comes with an incredibly unfortunate character attached to it.

Dammit DeNA, why does most of VI suck so badly

Better than Edge! He can Lifesiphon and still has Celerity and Ninja 5, so I can at least LS and dump two or three bars.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Got my 40th Major Holy, so now Saint Cross is R3. Eight more Major Non-Elemental and I can make Bahamut R3! And then I'll have R3 of nine 5* abilities. Holy, Full Charge, Powerchain, Dragoon Jump, Exploding Fist, Thief's Revenge, Saint Cross, Dark Zone and Bahamut. With R2 of Flare, Meteor, Full Break and Multi Break.

The only hole in my 5* ability roster is Physical AoE; I shattered Bio Grenade and Tornado Strike, and Sky Grinder/Flashing Blade are still at R1. If I need AoE I go to Mage Meta.

R2 Flare will almost definitely get shattered someday, probably when I need Black and Non for Chain Firaga. But I'd like to R3 Meteor someday.

Rius on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    3/11 Lucky Draw. Don't get too excited though.

Loxley Bow. Okay, SB is certainly better than no SB. Sadly, Faris' bow has way better stats so limited utility as a stat stick.

Duplicate Buster Sword - CC. Stat stick effect would be better if I hadn't JUST drawn duplicate Organics AND Sephiroth's Black Materia katana.

GAUntlet. Lol come on. At least, because power creep, it is my highest attack fist item (by a tiny margin).

• Options
    A steak! wrote: »
    Hah, Ichigeki, that awesome dagger that comes with an incredibly unfortunate character attached to it.

Better than Edge! He can Lifesiphon and still has Celerity and Ninja 5, so I can at least LS and dump two or three bars.

Also, most people complain about FFVI being overpowered. Celes, Terra, Mog, Locke and Relm are all very good.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Yeah, the GAUntlet is at least a useful stat stick for fist users. Wish I had it.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

Also, most people complain about FFVI being overpowered. Celes, Terra, Mog, Locke and Relm are all very good.
    Are Locke and Mog that good? I never really see anyone talking about them.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Wyvern wrote: »

Mog is one of two WHM/Dancer characters, and Heroic Harmony is still pretty sweet (slighty devalued with Agrias around). Locke is a solid Thief with Combat 4, an incredible SSB and Chainstarter. He's a top-tier damage dealer.

A duck! on
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »

I have just two words for you.

Earth Blues.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Locke is primarily good because of his SSB, though I think many people still think highly of him because he was one of the first characters to get a fully powered Thief's Revenge due to MC2 release order. Sort of like people still rate Bartz highly because of his access to Steal Power, even though almost nobody uses Steal Power any more.

Mog is one of the sturdiest white mages (lots of HP/DEF) at the cost of some MND, which doesn't matter much for healing, and he has that Dancer option if you can afford the ability slots. He'll get his MC2 soon and that'll be good news for moogle fans.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Locke's better than your average thief, but what made him standout early on was he was the first to get an SSB that capped at 8.0x and the first to be able to utilize Thief's Revenge to the full effect. He enjoyed a brief period at the top of the pyramid basically, but other characters outshine him in many ways, with Faris being considered the top for some reason or another.

Mog has a good skillset, but I argue that he's also just average these days. He had the first dual-break SB, which was AoE no less, and is one of the only 5* Dancers in the game. He gets better utility if you opt to record dive to give him 5* Dragoon skills, and services as a pretty good Supporting character without actual 5* Support skills. Before Relm came along, he was the only good WHM for FFVI.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Locke spent a few months in my A Team before getting kicked out by glorious Cecil. He's very solid with Valiant Strike.

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    Yuffie is the best thief.

Clear Tranquil is so great.

• Options
    Locke's better than your average thief, but what made him standout early on was he was the first to get an SSB that capped at 8.0x and the first to be able to utilize Thief's Revenge to the full effect. He enjoyed a brief period at the top of the pyramid basically, but other characters outshine him in many ways, with Faris being considered the top for some reason or another.

Mog has a good skillset, but I argue that he's also just average these days. He had the first dual-break SB, which was AoE no less, and is one of the only 5* Dancers in the game. He gets better utility if you opt to record dive to give him 5* Dragoon skills, and services as a pretty good Supporting character without actual 5* Support skills. Before Relm came along, he was the only good WHM for FFVI.

I put Faris on top because of Support 5 and Thief 5. She runs Full Break and Thief's Revenge more often than not in my party.

• Options
    8if35bV.png

Meh. Free mythril is free mythril.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Gimme dem eggs and mythril. I will hoover that all up, nummy nummy.

• Options
    I hope the account has Gilgamesh as the icon and speaks in all caps.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Apparently for the last Abyss dungeon (Combat again, for Omega Drive), the gimmick is that during phase 2, Omega Weapon spawns a pair of orbs that need to be killed within 4 turns or they give mega healing/a mega attack to Omega. Only the top two chars are allowed to attack the top orb and only the bottom two are allowed to attack the bottom, otherwise they trigger massive counter attacks, although it looks like they can only do that if they actually survive, so using powerful SBs to one shot them (they only have ~17,000 HP) is fine. If a character in a correct slot kills them, they either heal the party or do massive damage to Omega (looks like starting at 19,999 and minus 25% for every turn they're alive).

Otherwise, for phase 1 and 3, it's just a straight up DPS race, although it uses a special counter that removes all buffs between each phase, so that's 'fun.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF27RtTT9Ik

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Hah. Going right back to the same game as the first nightmare, and with the same sprite, too (yeah, Omega Weapon isn't exactly the same as Ultima Buster, but still)

What does Omega Drive do? And is there anything special for clearing all 12 nightmares?

• Options
    Hah. Going right back to the same game as the first nightmare, and with the same sprite, too (yeah, Omega Weapon isn't exactly the same as Ultima Buster, but still)

What does Omega Drive do? And is there anything special for clearing all 12 nightmares?

There's a video that plays after completion of the 12th Nightmare (whichever that is for you) and it reveals some interesting stuff.
    A shadowy figure appears in the middle of the nightmare platform, and people have already linked the figure to some art that appeared over the year, particularly some art from the game's first anniversary.
    A female Record Keeper, like Tyro.

• Options
    edited August 2016

Omega Drive: 4 single-target physical attacks, multiplier is dependent on user's ATK.

Multiplier essentially caps at 5.26 at close to 1,000 Atk.

As for the end of Abyss, there's just a video saying basically "A new page begins."

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    So it's always 4 hits, bit how much damage each hit deals is dependent on ATK.

Depending on the multipliers and the requires ATK to cap it, that could actually be worth making.

Not if you need synergy and a synergy weapon and shout and HOTE to get it to decent power, though.

• Options
    So it's always 4 hits, bit how much damage each hit deals is dependent on ATK.

Depending on the multipliers and the requires ATK to cap it, that could actually be worth making.

Not if you need synergy and a synergy weapon and shout and HOTE to get it to decent power, though.

Don't forget that Japan has dark matters for extra + on relics, level 99 characters, 6* relics, and stuff like Celes and the Onion Knight's BSBs, not to mention most characters have bursts there nowadays (another +10% to stats). It's not that unattainable.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Did the Keeper Choice banner and got 11 3*

Yup, this is the FFRK I remember

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Did the Keeper Choice banner and got 11 3*

Yup, this is the FFRK I remember

That's incredible luck.

Bad luck, but still. Wow.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Aside from Cid Missions, my new core:

Y'shtola (SSII/Aetherial Pulse)
    Curaja R5/Wrath R2

Yuffie (Clear Tranquil)
    Thief's Revenfe R3/Steal Defense R2

Been experimenting with Wrath whenever I'm not running Orbfest (not refreshing this phase.) Mako Might at the start pops Pulse, taking care of initial mitigation. By the time the weak phase hits, Y'shtola usually has time to pull off a SSII for the final rush.

Yuffie is now an auto-include since Y'shtola isn't running a medica. That and I've unlocked all her 3* sphere skills. I have no MAG thrown weapons, so TR and Steal Defense keep her alive in the front row.

The rest of the team will be based on filling in objectives/whoever I feel like using based on this group:

Agrias (Cleansing Strike/Hallowed Bolt)
    Balthier (Strahl Strafe)
    Beatrix (Seiken Shock)
    Desch* (Bolt of the Ancients)
    Faris (Kindred Spirit)
    Irvine (Fast Ammo/Cannister Shot)
    Kuja (Dread of Death)
    Laguna (Desperado)
    Leon (Hand of the Emperor/Darkborn Blade)
    Squall (Lion's Roar)

*Riding the pine until he gets level broken/Chain Thundaga comes out.

Everyone else, with SBs or not, are CM exclusive. Especially Cloud. Fenrir Overdrive is butt.

Shamus on
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Shamus wrote: »
    Aside from Cid Missions, my new core:

Y'shtola (SSII/Aetherial Pulse)
    Curaja R5/Wrath R2

Yuffie (Clear Tranquil)
    Thief's Revenfe R5/Steal Defense R2

Been experimenting with Wrath whenever I'm not running Orbfest (not refreshing this phase.) Mako Might at the start pops Pulse, taking care of initial mitigation. By the time the weak phase hits, Y'shtola usually has time to pull off a SSII for the final rush.

Yuffie is now an auto-include since Y'shtola isn't running a medica. That and I've unlocked all her 3* sphere skills. I have no MAG thrown weapons, so TR and Steal Defense keep her alive in the front row.

The rest of the team will be based on filling in objectives/whoever I feel like using based on this group:

Agrias (Cleansing Strike/Hallowed Bolt)
    Balthier (Strahl Strafe)
    Beatrix (Seiken Shock)
    Desch* (Bolt of the Ancients)
    Faris (Kindred Spirit)
    Irvine (Fast Ammo/Cannister Shot)
    Kuja (Dread of Death)
    Laguna (Desperado)
    Leon (Hand of the Emperor/Darkborn Blade)
    Squall (Lion's Roar)

*Riding the pine until he gets level broken/Chain Thundaga comes out.

Everyone else, with SBs or not, are CM exclusive. Especially Cloud. Fenrir Overdrive is butt.

What about Ramza, now that everyone can get Tailwind?

Actually, you can make a fire-based team using Y'shtola, Yuffie, Ramza, Balthier, and Agrias. You'd have access to Fire Veil, Firaga Strike, and Firaga. Y'shtola could build SB gauge using Firaga after Strahl Strafe hits.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    Holy shit, Thief's Revenge R5?!

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Oh shit no, mistype it's R3. Fixed.

Edit:
    @Darklyre I'm waiting to draw on that banner, but yeah Ramza will slide right in when I get Tailwind.

And yeah I could and will do a fire team, probably calling up Setzer to Support with Dive Bomb.

Shamus on
  • Options
    How much would Kain benefit from doing the record dive that gives him 4* Celerity?

I can only think of giving him Dismissal and Dragoon Jump, instead of BOTW and Dragoon Jump, using Rising Drive on DJ instead after building meter by slinging a bunch of Dismissals at the boss.

But I don't know of that's a particularly useful strategy at all.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    So I am trying to build a team for high end content, and would like some opinions:
    Auron (Banishing Blade)
    Agrias (Cleansing Strike)
    Setzer ( Prismatic Flash)
    Ramza (Tail Wind / Shout)
    Cait Sith (Toy Soldier)

That way, they all have a combo Attack/Magic debuff SB, to combine with Full Break / Breakdown.

I am not sure who I would want to swap out, and what to swap them out for.
    PCecil has Paladin Force
    Beatrix has Seiken Shock
    Balthier has Strahl Srafe
    Cloud has Climhazzard
    Gilgamesh has Faithful Companion
    Penelo has Mincing Minuet (AOE holy with Shellga) / War Dance (Team heal with ATK boost)
    Rydia has Odin (Summon AOE with Protect)
    Rosa has Miracle (Protectga & Shellga in 1 SB)
    Relm has Ink Blast
    etc

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Multiple ATK/MAG debuffs won't stack with each other, so having Agrias, Setzer and Cait Sith in the same party is a little sub-optimal (assuming those are all ATK/MAG debuffs, which I think they are). I'd consider replacing Cait Sith with Rosa and maybe Setzer with Pecil or Gilgamesh. Lots of good options that can work, just very little reason to have three debuffs with the same ID. Clearly Agrias is sub-optimal for multiple target fights, and I find it good to have two supports most of the time. Can experiment with setups in 1 stamina fights if you want, to see which you prefer.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I wasnt familiar with the duration of the debuffs compared to the time it would take to generate the SB again, so I wanted to maximize how many i had, and then stagger them so one was always in effect.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    So I am trying to build a team for high end content, and would like some opinions:
    Auron (Banishing Blade)
    Agrias (Cleansing Strike)
    Setzer ( Prismatic Flash)
    Ramza (Tail Wind / Shout)
    Cait Sith (Toy Soldier)

That way, they all have a combo Attack/Magic debuff SB, to combine with Full Break / Breakdown.

I am not sure who I would want to swap out, and what to swap them out for.
    PCecil has Paladin Force
    Beatrix has Seiken Shock
    Balthier has Strahl Srafe
    Cloud has Climhazzard
    Gilgamesh has Faithful Companion
    Penelo has Mincing Minuet (AOE holy with Shellga) / War Dance (Team heal with ATK boost)
    Rydia has Odin (Summon AOE with Protect)
    Rosa has Miracle (Protectga & Shellga in 1 SB)
    Relm has Ink Blast
    etc
    You don't have an AoE heal (well, you do, but Ramza can almost never spare the meter to use it), so you almost certainly want to be running Gilgamesh full-time for the regen. Between that and your debuffs you should be okay. I went without a Medica for a while and I didn't have the stacking debuff option. You can either completely murder a boss's attack (Attack Breakdown + Banishishing Blade + one of the ATK/MAG + Full Break) or minimize magic damage with Mincing Minuet and Seiken Shock on top of the typical buffs and debuffs, depending on the fight. Those are actually STUPIDLY sturdy defenses, especially since you're free to RW Wall. PLUS you can use Draw Fire or Lure Magic to screw up single-target attacks even worse, or go for full-on Draw Fire + Retaliate on Gilgamesh if you needed to. I almost wonder if RWing a Medica and ignoring wall makes more sense...probably not.

Cecil is your strongest damage dealer, all else being equal. Runner-up is probably Balthier? Agrias, Baltheir, Gilgamesh, and Cecil can all self-heal to some degree or another, which may prove important in fights with a lot of AoE.

You have buckets of good options there; it's just a matter of picking the most efficient set for any given fight.

EDIT:
    I wasnt familiar with the duration of the debuffs compared to the time it would take to generate the SB again, so I wanted to maximize how many i had, and then stagger them so one was always in effect.
    I think they last long enough that one person can usually keep it up either full-time or close to full-time. There are RMs that help with that (Ramza has one once you use his MCII). Or Agrias and Auron can just use Lifesiphon to be super sure.

Wyvern on
  • Options
    Oh, if I am swapping out Cait Sith for Aerith, Eiko, or Vanille, they all have Medica SBs. I even have a shared medica on a Scholar Hat.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    So what's everyone saving Mythril for at this point? Refreshing is winding down, and we've had our monthly Lucky Draw.

Personally, aside from Lucky draws, I'm waiting until guaranteed 5's become a thing. After that, I think I'll be shooting for Vaan's BSB on Larsa's banner, the ridiculous FF14 banners, and one of TG Cid's weapons.

It looks like, in the future, you need to balance having a well rounded team, for Cid Missions, with having a stupidly overpowered team, for the level 200/250 difficulty dungeons with trash you have to kill with BSSBs.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    Oh, if I am swapping out Cait Sith for Aerith, Eiko, or Vanille, they all have Medica SBs. I even have a shared medica on a Scholar Hat.

Which Medicas? Scholar Hat is a bit on the low side.

Also, consider Agrias/Auron as the same slot. Sometimes you want to knock down their MAG (Agrias), other times you want to deal more damage (Auron).

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Oh, you DO have White Mage medicas? I think by now we're squarely in "your stuff is so good I can't even pick just one party to recommend" territory.

I guess, like...

Cecil
    Ramza
    Agrias/Setzer (depending on whether you want extra damage or extra breakdowns)
    Auron/Beatrix (depending on whether the boss is more physical or more magical)
    Whichever Medica user feels best

But there are a ton of substitutions you could make and still have a great team.

Wyvern on
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    All of the ATK/MAG debuffs have a 25s duration, for what it's worth. Generally not too hard to refresh it if you have haste up. When I run Agrias, I generally have her using lifesiphon and the SB as her major responsibility, sometimes with Protectga or Shellga in the other slot.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.