As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Thread: God damn it, Rimworld.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking Bahamut is talking about how the writing in Battleborn is poor.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    i hold that battleborn is a perfectly playable 7/10 multiplayer game that has likeable aspects, but which is shackled to some of the Worst Business Decisions Of All Time

also the writing is not even close to good enough to inspire me that they could do a decent "duke nukem is confronted with being a shitty person and tries to be better" style of self-lampooning narrative that is the only way I can imagine that character being interesting again.

what

what?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The perfect self parodic take on Duke Nukem has already been done. It was called "Duke Nukem 3D"

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    i hold that battleborn is a perfectly playable 7/10 multiplayer game that has likeable aspects, but which is shackled to some of the Worst Business Decisions Of All Time

also the writing is not even close to good enough to inspire me that they could do a decent "duke nukem is confronted with being a shitty person and tries to be better" style of self-lampooning narrative that is the only way I can imagine that character being interesting again.

what

what?

you're having a different conversation here dude, inagtp is talking specifically about battleborn, not gearbox as a whole

also the writing in battleborn is fine, it's close to borderlands style

if you don't like borderlands, that's fine, but the writing tends to be be critically pretty well-regarded

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    The perfect self parodic take on Duke Nukem has already been done. It was called "Duke Nukem 3D"

the sales figures do a better job at parody

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    That is the exact image it reminded me of, yes.

• Options

what

what?

you're having a different conversation here dude, inagtp is talking specifically about battleborn, not gearbox as a whole

also the writing in battleborn is fine, it's close to borderlands style

if you don't like borderlands, that's fine, but the writing tends to be be critically pretty well-regarded

this was in reference to people talking about gearbox doing something new with duke nukem like a self-aware deconstruction of his character, a conversation which the post I was quoting was connected to. It would have made more sense a couple pages ago I guess. I was just trying to say that in my opinion I don't think the writing seen in battleborn shows the kind of chops necessary to do a story like that well. I also think borderlands (1) has... better writing than battleborn, but I still don't (personally, IMHO, etc.) like it.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    I'm of two minds about battleborn

on the one hand it looks like garbage and fuck randy pitchford

on the other hand a lot of people worked hard on it and I know what it's like to be a fan of a shooter-MOBA hybrid that nobody plays

tuesday night combat is gonna set the world on fire, just you wait!

Man, I remember the moment where it was abundantly clear that everyone, developer included, knew the game was on its way out.

They put out what I think was their first new character. For definitely too much actual money for one dang character.

And everyone realized this was just one last attempt to make some money for the moment and that sour realization was the game's death blow.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I think Borderlands 1 has good writing for what it is, and 2 has some good writing that's drowned out by excessive meme usage.

The Pre-Sequel was okay too, but as it was just Slightly Different More Borderlands I never finished it.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Oh boy, Half-Life 3 rumors, but this time from a reliable source!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Someone really good at squirting condiments made that, that is a practiced hand, I bet that person could write beautiful cursive with Arby's carcass-sauce

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »
    HL 3 is dead. As we all shall be.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Veagle wrote: »
    HL 3 is dead. As we all shall be.

Eat Arbys.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

Nah, DN3D played the "Action hero who spouts one-liners and gets all the babes" thing perfectly straight. The parody humor was mostly in referencing OTHER things, like a neolithic Family Guy.

EDIT: If those screenshots ARE from the game, I'd be disappointed. There's already a modern version of DN3D (Megaton Edition) on Steam that pretty much looks like that already.

EDIT: Haha, looks like the Megaton Edition has been taken off Steam. So I guess this is going to be a reiteration of DN3D.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I put it to you that if you think Duke Nukem 3D was playing it straight that you are wrong.

• Options
    I put it to you that if you think Duke Nukem 3D was playing it straight that you are wrong.

Feel free to give some examples, because I'm just not seeing it. There's nothing self deprecating, or ironic, or deconstructed about Duke's portrayal in that game. He's entirely a 100% generic action hero what spouts the one-liners from that movie you like. The game doesn't say anything about that character, other than "isn't this cool?"

• Options
    His entire thing was that he was ludicrously over the top portrayal of that stereotype. He parodied it by taking it up to 150%. His autobiography was called "Why I Am So Great"

• Options
    edited August 2016
    His entire thing was that he was ludicrously over the top portrayal of that stereotype. He parodied it by taking it up to 150%. His autobiography was called "Why I Am So Great"

He seemed pretty average considering the action movies of the 80's and 90's.

He's basically Schwarzenegger.

EDIT: Without the accent, of course.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I think you're remembering that game wrong

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

He seemed pretty average considering the action movies of the 80's and 90's.

He's basically Schwarzenegger.

EDIT: Without the accent, of course.

Go further back to Duke Nukem 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5glPSZV1Kmc

and you find that he in fact sounds like Arnold

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod

yeah but the world absolutely reinforced that behavior all the way through the game

it's not a deconstruction if it's reveling in the absurdity or fantasy of the machismo 80s musclegun merc

8406wWN.png
  • Options

yeah but the world absolutely reinforced that behavior all the way through the game

it's not a deconstruction if it's reveling in the absurdity or fantasy of the machismo 80s musclegun merc

Austin Powers is proven to be right, great and a sexual dynamo but the film is still recognisably a parody of James Bond. It's certainly not a deconstruction, but it's a parody.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    God I love those early 90's MIDI synths.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I definitely never got the sense that Duke Nukem 3D was turning the character up to 11 to make fun of it, it felt like turning it up to 11 and going "isn't that the coolest, edgiest, and badassest?"
    Like it was marketed that way and we kids interpreted it that way as well. If they were actually going for satire the audience missed the joke.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I think you're remembering that game wrong

Entirely possible. I haven't played it since the Xbox Live release.

Consider the source though. 3D Realms from 1996. "Lets make fun of action movies by turning them up to 11" seems more far fetched to me than "Let's include all this stuff we like from action movies!"

Especially given how the humor in that game (and their future games) went.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    You know, I really loved the first Borderlands.

But when I tried 2, it just felt like more of the same, and I got bored very fast.

I think I just kinda got burnt out after playing the living hell out of the first one and all the DLC it had.

This and also I kind of hated everything about the writing and story in Borderlands 2 that wasn't Ellie. I finished it but the second I did I was done entirely.

Borderlands 3 has to do a lot to make me interested in going back to that world and gameplay. First, best step would be to hear no reference to the words Handsome nor Jack in any instance or combination.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

But when I tried 2, it just felt like more of the same, and I got bored very fast.

I think I just kinda got burnt out after playing the living hell out of the first one and all the DLC it had.

This and also I kind of hated everything about the writing and story in Borderlands 2 that wasn't Ellie. I finished it but the second I did I was done entirely.

Borderlands 3 has to do a lot to make me interested in going back to that world and gameplay. First, best step would be to hear no reference to the words Handsome nor Jack in any instance or combination.

Well the head writer of BL2, Anthony Burch, is no longer with Gearbox.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Austin Powers is proven to be right, great and a sexual dynamo but the film is still recognisably a parody of James Bond. It's certainly not a deconstruction, but it's a parody.

The entire first film is Austin learning to not be a swinging dirtbag anymore.

It literally ends with him in a monogamous relationship.

It wasn't until the sequels that they went back on that. (They basically Flanderized him)

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I bought the new Crusader Kings 2 expansion which focuses on illnesses and epidemics

So I started up a new campaign and promptly died one year into it from diarrhea

Now the medieval experience is finally complete

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I started again as the chief of Rana and I'm currently fighting the cruel High Chief of Saxony who is both a habitual cannibal and an apprentice boardgamer

But still not as weird as this guy, I have no idea what his deal is

cleansingflame.jpg~original

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Yeah, man, Battleborn getting released when it did was just savage, like somebody getting shoved in front of a combine harvester

it's more like they walked in front of the combine harvester and said its mom had questionable morals

battleborn announced its release date before overwatch and then blizzard sat on them

what do you do as that marketing department if you can't get the date changed

e: that's not trying be snippy or anything i actually think that's one of the hardest decisions to make

it's literally impossible that people don't know about the Other Game, it's impossible, it's too big

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I beat Air Man, finally, at 28 years old.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I started again as the chief of Rana and I'm currently fighting the cruel High Chief of Saxony who is both a habitual cannibal and an apprentice boardgamer

But still not as weird as this guy, I have no idea what his deal is

cleansingflame.jpg~original

I'm guessing candles!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    the only way battleborn survives is by releasing 3 months after it did, about 2 months after overwatch is out, and trying to market it as an alternative to people who burned out on overwatch

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

Well the head writer of BL2, Anthony Burch, is no longer with Gearbox.

And writer on Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, and writer on Tales from the Borderlands: A Telltale Games Series

So yeah hopefully the Handsome Jack trilogy is over. I'd also like to see it not on Pandora, but that's a lesser wish.

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

8jTKDOtl.jpgp

I find battleborn really hard to look at.

That's Gigantic not Battleborn

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    they do have a pretty similar look at first glance

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Burch not being the writer anymore actually makes me less interested in BL3. It was my favorite part of BL2.

This discussion has been closed.