As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Thread: God damn it, Rimworld.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Oh, a coupon

It's been a while

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I got one for Headlander, which was in my wishlist, so that was cool.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Look they're just trying to turn your computer into an sfv cabinet for the most authentic arcade experience possible, what's the problem

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Luckily they've already rolled back the patch.

But still, Jesus Capcom, learn to computer.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

So they understood that they did something bad, but they didn't understand it enough to not do it in the first place.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The gameplay doesn't look too shit hot, much as I want to desire that game with every fibre of my being. If your driving and shooting are no good I don't think your open world game can really work these days. GTA has set too high of a bar.

• Options
    Peewi wrote: »

So they understood that they did something bad, but they didn't understand it enough to not do it in the first place.

The devs behind SFV has done a pretty consistent job of demonstrating that they don't understand computers very well.

• Options
    It's pretty difficult to get a job as a developer if you don't understand computers very well

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    It's pretty difficult to get a job as a developer if you don't understand computers very well

And yet they designed their PC game to have client side verification of your in-game unlockables and purchases so in order to address the anti-cheat they introduced in a patch to the game required kernel level system access. This was because people were simply downloading steam workshop mods in order to alter the amount of work you had to do to unlock in game currency, because again, this was being verified client side.

None of this gives me confidence in them having a firm grasp of how to develop games for the PC.

• Options
    I mean even to implement that you have to know a bunch of stuff about computers. Like my godmother couldn't do that and she teaches other pensioners how to use computers at the local library.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    The gameplay doesn't look too shit hot, much as I want to desire that game with every fibre of my being. If your driving and shooting are no good I don't think your open world game can really work these days. GTA has set too high of a bar.

Saint's row raised the bar by letting you steal a car from a block away!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    I mean even to implement that you have to know a bunch of stuff about computers. Like my godmother couldn't do that and she teaches other pensioners how to use computers at the local library.

Okay, you are technically correct, the best kind of correct.

I could have been more precise in my initial wording.

The devs behind SFV have done a pretty consistent job of demonstrating that they don't understand how to make their game function properly and securely on a PC environment (as opposed to a console environment) since launch.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Although eventually they moved to a point where you didn't even need to steal cars.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Anyone here get internet via those powerline adapters?

I'm considering moving over to that instead of the all-wireless setup we have going right now, but I'm not positive what it entails or what is required

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

I'm considering moving over to that instead of the all-wireless setup we have going right now, but I'm not positive what it entails or what is required

Depends on your wiring. Do you live in a house?

You could always invest in a cheap pair of them to test it before going all in.

I know we have shitty wiring for it since we live in a trailer.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    What do you think, delicious friends? Are you down for Sunless Skies?

Right now I'm still in "fuck you, take my money" mode for all things Failbetter, but I'm steadfastly ignoring the effect that Alexis Kennedy's leaving might have on the writing. What do you say?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Although eventually they moved to a point where you didn't even need to steal cars.

Man super power travel in SR4 was just pure bliss.

I don't want SR5, I just want SR4-2.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Right now I'm still in "fuck you, take my money" mode for all things Failbetter, but I'm steadfastly ignoring the effect that Alexis Kennedy's leaving might have on the writing. What do you say?

For a game where I really want to just experience the writing, Sunless Sea was too grindy and punishing for me. Not sure if Sunless Skies will be different.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

I'm using one and it's great.
    Just plug one end in near the router, one end in near your desktop and you're good to go.

Latency from my PC to the router is 3ms.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

For a game where I really want to just experience the writing, Sunless Sea was too grindy and punishing for me. Not sure if Sunless Skies will be different.

The devs have acknowledge how the time it takes to travel and grind was a sore point with most everyone, that it reduced enjoyability and replayability for a lot pf people. One of their bullet points for Sunless Skies called it out again. "It will elaborate on Sunless Sea. We’re enhancing the stuff we liked, and refining the experience. It will be a punishing game, but respectful of your time."

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I got inordinately upset with Sunless Sea when I realized that upgrading my engine caused my fuel efficiency to plummet into the fucking toilet, and the starting engine was actually the best one because the actual travel time differences between that and a stronger engine were like... Seconds on a trip across the entire map.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I got inordinately upset with Sunless Sea when I realized that upgrading my engine caused my fuel efficiency to plummet into the fucking toilet, and the starting engine was actually the best one because the actual travel time differences between that and a stronger engine were like... Seconds on a trip across the entire map.

And even if it were appreciably faster there's a hard timer on how much time you need to spend putzing about before you're allowed to do something at your destination.

Garthor on
  • Options
    Sunless Sea is a game that I love and will probably never replay, simply because the punishing roguelike elements did not suit it at all. In the beginning there was a way to easily grind a lot of cash and then just chill out and enjoy the story. Once that was patched, I kind of didn't want to play any more because I'd have to do the crappy early game over and over.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I played Fallen London a ton first so when I eventually got Sunless Sea I was like "I've already seen all this lore stuff and it was much less of a hassle to do so in the other game" so I returned it. Wouldn't mind trying something new with that theme in a different situation though.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Sunless sky sounds like the hipster word for night.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options

The amount of fuel it takes to run a better engine actually tracks really well with the amount of food you save when running at full power. If you're not constantly hitting "F", you just need to change the ratio of fuel to food that you stock up on in Fallen London to get better cargo efficiency.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Darmak wrote: »
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Zoel wrote: »
    I got hackmud and this game makes me feel like I am staring into an abyss of misery and stupidity of my own design

it is amazing and wonderful

I played it a bit at lunch and man is that game's syntax makes me feel dumb sometimes. Also I way overthought the helpdesk password.

Soundtrack is real good though, and I can't wait for it to pick up.

I picked it up this morning before work and played for about 30 minutes, and I still can't figure out the helpdesk password. I feel like the fucking dumbest person alive

Like me, you're probably overthinking it. Reach out to your inner Gabe:
    hyxeUJgh.jpg

For real spoiler:
    Go outside and look up.

Are you fucking kidding me

goddamnit, this may not be the game for me lol. My mind just isn't good at problem solving, and I've never been good at remembering syntax and commands and stuff. I'll stick with it for awhile though because it seems really fuckin cool and I love the music

Yeah I have no real idea how you get from A to B there.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

I'm using one and it's great.
    Just plug one end in near the router, one end in near your desktop and you're good to go.

Latency from my PC to the router is 3ms.

I use a set to get internet from my house to my pump house where I brew beer. It works great, except there are a specific couple circuits in the house where the two adapters can't talk to each other. I just had to move the one in the house around to a couple different plugs then it worked just fine. It was worth it though, the pump house is like 100+ feet away from the house, and beaming WIFI was WAY more expensive.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    The thing that really bugged me about Bioshock was the way the view out of windows was wobbly.

That's not how refraction works!!!
    I haven't played Bioshock so I don't know exactly what you mean but old timey glass does get wavy

oldglass.jpg

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

The amount of fuel it takes to run a better engine actually tracks really well with the amount of food you save when running at full power. If you're not constantly hitting "F", you just need to change the ratio of fuel to food that you stock up on in Fallen London to get better cargo efficiency.

Again, it's a couple seconds across huge distances

Like I don't have the numbers on me right this second because this was ages ago, but it is not worth it from a fuel, food, or terror perspective to use better engines aside from the Fulgent Impeller

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    wandering wrote: »
    The thing that really bugged me about Bioshock was the way the view out of windows was wobbly.

That's not how refraction works!!!
    I haven't played Bioshock so I don't know exactly what you mean but old timey glass does get wavy

oldglass.jpg

Take another look at the windows in Bioshock.

The waviness moves, even when you're standing still.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Again, it's a couple seconds across huge distances

Like I don't have the numbers on me right this second because this was ages ago, but it is not worth it from a fuel, food, or terror perspective to use better engines aside from the Fulgent Impeller

Edit: Hey, I linked to something that doesn't mean nothing. Maybe, I guess?

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I swear I had BG1 working on this computer but it no longer wants to work so here we are. I don't even want the EE, I just wanna play BG1. maybe I'll give IWD a try instead since that's a game I have never played

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I got the BG2 android edition for my nexus 6P

it almost works but it's next to impossible to select characters, almost all finger presses on the portraits on the right side of the screen don't register

so you have to tap 10-20 times to select a character to give an order, and in the infinity engine you can be giving orders several times per game-time second

as it is even the minor fights in the irenicus dungeon have taken like half an hour to resolve, or you just hope the AI can resolve them in real time

maybe I'll come back to it if I get an android tablet or something

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The EE is totally worth it for BG

Even just from the time saved on setting up the mods that would make the transition from one to two more seamless

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    late last year, the nethack devteam released version 3.6.0. This is a game that was initially released in 1987. Final Fantasy, released some six months later, is on its 14th sequel, with another dozen entries under the brand name.

what would you, dear thread, want out of a hypothetical nethack 2: electric boogaloo?

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    late last year, the nethack devteam released version 3.6.0. This is a game that was initially released in 1987. Final Fantasy, released some six months later, is on its 14th sequel, with another dozen entries under the brand name.

what would you, dear thread, want out of a hypothetical nethack 2: electric boogaloo?

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup? There's a ton of inspiration that could be taken from later roguelikes, probably. NetHack is old.

Really, though, I'm not sure what I'd want from NetHack 2: Hack Harder. Larger maps, perhaps? Just more content in general?

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I should've checked what mods were working before I bought the BG set.

The tweak that removes all traps appears to be broken.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I also bought Convoy and it is hard.

b1ehrMM.gif
This discussion has been closed.