As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who let the Dog out?

twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
Background: our neighbors have a dog (I think it's a black lab? not a dog expert by any means). They are both out for most of the day. Most of the time, I don't see the dog at all during the day (I work from home and my office is in the front of the house). Today, he's found his way out -- looks like their side gate was left open without them realizing it. He seems very territorial -- barking at anyone/anything that comes anywhere near the property.

My question is, should I try to take some water over in his general direction? I sort of presume that whatever his normal situation is (we just moved in very recently so we're not well acquainted yet), if he got out he could get back in for a drink, but he hasn't left the area in the front of the house all morning. It's a pretty hot day today (going to hit 97), and I'd hate for something to happen to him while they're gone. I really don't know much about dogs so maybe my worry is misfounded? Figure someone on here might have a better idea if he could actually be in danger because of the heat. I'm not worried about him getting away or anything -- he doesn't seem interested in leaving the house at all and our neighborhood is extremely low traffic.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I don't see any indication that the dog is being abused, why would you concern yourself?

You should contact the neighbor first and foremost before doing anything like that unless it's obvious that something needs to be done there.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    To be clear - my concern is that it's super hot, they won't be home for a few hours, and I'm not sure if he can get back into his normal situation (where I'm sure he's adequately taken care of).

• Options
    I'm skeptical about approaching animals I'm not familiar with. Don't get too close, bring a small bucket of water if you're concerned and see if he needs it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    If the dog is territorial he might pose a bit of a danger to himself (as in, if he bites someone and its bad, its a fast track to being put down), I would not approach the dog. If the gate is open and he can get back in, I would assume he has water back there and will go back if he needs too. If he seems like hes struggling or is actually going to hurt someone, I'd probably consider animal control and simply ask for advice.

I love dogs but approaching unfamiliar dogs comes with a lot of risks, and you don't know if this one is well socialized. If hes got no cover in the front yard and hes stuck, that might be an issue.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Call the owner, and otherwise do nothing. If the dog gets thirsty it will go back for water.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    twmjr wrote: »
    He seems very territorial -- barking at anyone/anything that comes anywhere near the property.

I wouldn't go near it. Either there's a doggy door somewhere in back of the house, or they normally leave the dog in the backyard. Either way, it probably has a water bowl somewhere it has access to. If not, I highly doubt the dog will die of thirst before its owners return home. It may be dehydrated, but otherwise fine. If the dog seems territorial, you're just asking to get bit by approaching it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    OK thanks - that's how I was leaning; my wife and I's lack of knowledge of dogs just made us worried about him with the heat. If it's highly unlikely that it's a life threatening issue (and he's got some shade to lie in if he wants) then I'm happy to just leave him be until they get back.

• Options
    if he's got shade he'll be alright, though if he is in trouble consider animal control

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Generally speaking, approaching unfamiliar dogs (and entering their territory without the owner nearby) is not a good idea.

For future reference though, heres a handful of tips for recognizing their body language.

If the dog is looking you in the eye then he is challenging you, and if he isn't looking away or lowering his head then he isn't backing down.

Hackles (the area between the shoulders) raised means the dog is pissed and ready to fight.

Barking/growl barks don't neccessarily mean threat so much as the dog getting your attention.

Tail wagging means the dog is excited.

Tail between it's legs or cringing indicates fear/submissiveness.

That having been said, it might be worthwhile talking to your neighbor about their pooch so that you can be familiarized with him/her in case they get out of the yard and understand the specific temperment that they have.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I suggest later on when the owners are home you go say hello and meet the dog with them around. It's not a bad idea if you work from home and this is something that happens often, if for no other reason than you get to meet your neighbor.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Also, if you do have an opportunity to meet the dog with the owners around, theres a good method to meet reluctant or protective dogs.

Crouch down (IE making yourself smaller), and hold out your hand for the dog come to you and sniff. The dog will investigate your hand and get used to you being non threatening.

• Options
    1CoinClear1CoinClear Registered User regular
    Crouch down (IE making yourself smaller), and hold out your hand for the dog come to you and sniff. The dog will investigate your hand and get used to you being non threatening.

Grew up with a dog and this tip was always the best advice. This is what I always do when meeting a dog I haven't been introduced to before.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    If you're going to proffer your hand (so they can smell, lick, mouth you to get to know you) then you proffer the back of your closed fist. Less likely to lose fingers.

• Options
    loose fist, don't ball it, an abused dog might be familiar with that and react badly

You sort of want to make a C with your hand and offer them the back of your hand rather than the palm of fingers directly

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    While probably not the most popular (or even smartest) response, I'd 100% be going out to help out that doggo and get him back in his/her backyard.

Totally understand not doing it if you're not a dog person though.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Give the dog some water.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm going to assume since this all happened yesterday that the situation is resolved?

• Options
    Iruka wrote: »
    I'm going to assume since this all happened yesterday that the situation is resolved?

Yes -- can definitely be locked. Just kept an eye on him and he was fine until they got home -- I haven't had a chance to go over and see about getting to meet him but will use the advice about how to do that, too. Thanks all!

This discussion has been closed.