As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bug proofing window? (Spider pic inside!)

Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
edited July 2016 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys there is a spider right by where my head goes for sleeping in my room in the apartment I've just started subletting in western Mass. How can I cheaply make this window less likely to allow bug - especially moth and arachnid - entry?

Spider: http://imgur.com/KkcNRDL

Window: http://imgur.com/CbAwEMh

(Also, re: the spider's safety..

I'm aware of the fact that it's almost certainly not dangerous and it IS in a good spot to prevent other bugs from being near my head, so currently I have chosen to allow it to be my roommate probationally, pending more information on where it likes to build its web (gonna wait and see if it extends or moves tomorrow night). I'm just not interested in further houseguests.

If it turns out it's got expansionary ambitions it'll be relocated to the living room window.)

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
Blameless Cleric on

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I can't tell from the photo, is there a screen on the window?

If yes, check the edge of the screen insert for gaps. They aren't always perfect matches to the windows they go with. Also check around the window frame itself, sometimes they aren't sealed all that well.

If no, you're either going to have to keep the window closed or figure out a screen. Buying some screen fabric and cutting it to size is probably cheaper and easier than finding a screen frame to fit the window.

I wouldn't automatically worry about moths getting in, spiders are usually much smaller and require smaller gaps for entry.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'd put it in the living room window,myself. I can't tell exactly, but unless this lady has a white cross pattern on her back, she's one of several hunting species rather than a weaver. That means she's going to spend a lot of time wandering around the room at night rather than waiting for prey to come to her web. Also, given the size and shape of the abdomen, keep an eye out for egg sacs. One spider is fine, but hundreds of tiny spiders tend to ruin your morning.

Your best bet for bug-proofing a window is to cram a strip of foam weatherstrip around the outside edges of the window. It's got an adhesive back, and you can cut it to length.

However, that window looks new enough that it's probably tight enough to keep out creepy crawlies, as long as you keep it closed. You can test it by waiting for a windy day, slowly passing a lit candle within a few inches of the seams, and watching for the flame to flicker.

Most spiders and other crawling insects get in under the door or around pipe fittings. Installing a door sweep on your external door is a bit of a pain, but will seal that entrance. Packing the gaps around all your water and gas pipes with steel wool is a cheap and easy way to keep things from crawling in that way.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Thanks guys! There is a screen, but it's got a couple of obvious gaps, and the window itself does have a weather strip, it's just.. old and kind of falling off in places. I'll definitely ask and see if I'm allowed to replace those things/whether the building owner would be willing to!

And yeah, the spider has wandered off someplace in the night. I'll keep an eye out for egg sacs. Wish I had some caulk because there's a generous gap between the window frame and the sill that is right by the little web, and I guess probably where it'd lay the things, if it's going to do that.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    The easy solution is to shove some mesh into the gap.
    https://www.amazon.com/Copper-Mesh-Rats-Birds-Control/dp/B0001IMLTO

You could also caulk the gaps, but that can inhibit operation of the window.

You could also do a perimeter treatment with poison as well, but I'm not sure how comfortable you are with poison.

zepherin on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    zepherin wrote: »

You could also do a perimeter treatment with poison as well, but I'm not sure how comfortable you are with poison.

I'd rather not do poison. And yeah, I'm not going to caulk it because I don't own the place.

I'll probably get some mesh stuff, thanks!

Blameless Cleric on

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    We have a couple gaps in our windows, and have created a couple thanks to air conditioners. We just used packing tape. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Spider has returned to Web, seems to hide in that little gap if I shine a light on it. Took a look and no egg sacs, so far. I think I will attempt relocation tomorrow since it's moved out of my reach for now.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Spider has returned to Web, seems to hide in that little gap if I shine a light on it. Took a look and no egg sacs, so far. I think I will attempt relocation tomorrow since it's moved out of my reach for now.
    Vacuum the spider and web up and be done with it. That's why they made the crevice tool.

• Options
    I think this can be closed ^^

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

I'd rather not do poison. And yeah, I'm not going to caulk it because I don't own the place.

I'll probably get some mesh stuff, thanks!

Just as a general thing, since you don't own it your landlord is required (in most states) to keep the property protected against critters including spiders. Most apartment complexes and private rentals ~should~ have something like a bi-annual professional insect prevention treatments which include spraying the windows and clearing exterior cobwebs to prevent this very thing.

You can't prevent insects by treating from inside your home, it has to start outside the property (and that's where your landlord comes in).

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    But really, rental or no, a tube of caulk is like $3 and it would take maybe 10 minutes.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It being a rental doesn't exclude you from fixing it yourself btw.

It's just a stance of "should I have to spend money on this?"

If you'd rather spend $5 and DIY rather than get your landlord involved, and you can't or couldn't break it, that's up to you. Stuff like caulking can be removed when you leave.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Build a see thru plastic cage around the web and entrance, since observing him seems to be something you enjoy, spider still gets access outside, just not further in. Could probably slap one together with a glue gun for about 5$

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Build a see thru plastic cage around the web and entrance, since observing him seems to be something you enjoy, spider still gets access outside, just not further in. Could probably slap one together with a glue gun for about 5$

Aw this would have been a good idea

Unfortunately while attempting transport I accidentally killed the spider :(

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Unfortunately while attempting transport I accidentally killed the spider :(

:bro:

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Unfortunately while attempting transport I accidentally killed the spider, your honor. I regret my actions, but I absolutely did not purposely kill the monst.. spider. :(

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BookerBooker Registered User regular
    I was going to say that you should just kill the spider. Good Work.