As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] You Brexit, You Buy It

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    If only. No, she won't move, though it would be simple enough to kickstart the money for her airfare.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Come on, we already pawned Nigel Farage off on them, and now they have their own problems to deal with. Gotta share the burden on this.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Yeah, I suspect that's another promise that's not worth a single ticket for the bus whose side it should've been printed on...

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Come on, we already pawned Nigel Farage off on them, and now they have their own problems to deal with. Gotta share the burden on this.

I have no hope for Farage fucking off on a permanent basis; Piers Moron managed to find his way back to these shores to gurn at people in the morning on ITV.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Farage is actually worse though.

it's tough to be worse than Piers Morgan but Nigel digs deep and really works for it

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    How does Nigel Farage get up every morning, see himself in the mirror and not spend the next five hours being violently sick? The mind boggles...

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Farage was, according to his teachers at private school, essentially a bullying little Nazi. He thinks he's someone touched by destiny. And around four million voters love him like the dictator they never had.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Farage reminds me of Lord Rust from the Discworld books; he just can't get past the idea that the world is other than how he thinks it should be. His mind actually erases facts that don't jive with his worldview.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Why the fuck shouldn't Farage feel like the fucking dog's bollocks right about now? I mean, it's not like he gets called out on his dog whistling in any reasonable way by anyone of authority. UKIP and Farage don't need a press team, not with The Sun, Mail and Express falling over themselves to sing his praises. The Conservatives have bent over backwards to try and appease him and his followers. Rather than refute his criticisms of the EU and immigration they've apparently begun championing them. He was the main figurehead for the Leave campaign which won the referendum and he followed up that success by going all in on Trump; something he looks like being rewarded for. If all that isn't vindication of the man's odious beliefs, I don't know what is.

It's at times like this when I really wonder what is the fucking point of trying to be reasonable and rational with political discourse in our democracy? It clearly means fuck-all to the media and populace at large. What has to happen for the penny to drop for people to realise this has gone way too far? For MPs to be murdered in broad daylight? Clearly not... Sadly it appears Jo Cox is quickly becoming the inconvenient footnote to this 'wondrous' year the people supposedly took back control. Absolutely shameful.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    dylman wrote: »

This is your friendly reminder that such a deal will be negotiated by Newt Gingrich and Boris Johnson.

*edit* Wait, actually it'll probably be Newt Gingrich and Liam Fox. Even better!

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

I think the poor Americans have been punished enough.

Besides, if we inflicted Hopkins on them so soon after Farage, they'd nuke us. And rightfully so.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Besides, if we inflicted Hopkins on them so soon after Farage, they'd nuke us. And rightfully so.

In two months it's President Trump at the button. You might get nuked because York is clearly a knock off of New York, where some of the most fabulous properties in the world are owned by President Trump, and he must protect the brand.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

No, you're sending her to us instead. She's appearing on an Irish chat show as a guest tomorrow and fuck knows why. I'm honestly tempted to go down to RTE studios with a protest sign. I doubt I'd be alone.

• Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    Hopkins is a troll, I wouldn't give her the satisfaction.

• Options
    Normally I wouldn't either, but she has the satisfaction of being taken seriously by my state broadcaster and I absolutely want to let them know that I am spectacularly not okay with that.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I do hope she fucks off somewhere, anywhere really.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Normally I wouldn't either, but she has the satisfaction of being taken seriously by my state broadcaster and I absolutely want to let them know that I am spectacularly not okay with that.

The best thing you can do is ignore her. Like everyone seemed to do when she got her own TV show.

She's there to provoke a reaction more than anything else, but if people just rolled their eyes at any and all comments she made and then got on with their days, then she'd eventually just go away.

She is a complete and utter nothing.

It's like (to a much lesser extent) Robbie Savage on any football show; they get him to come along and say something daft to provoke a reaction.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    Don't think she'll get much sympathy from the Late Late show audience, anyway.

I hope.

• Options
    I wish I could be confident of that but Ireland is still pretty damn racist.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Fine, we'll split the difference

She can relocate halfway between us

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

No, you're sending her to us instead. She's appearing on an Irish chat show as a guest tomorrow and fuck knows why. I'm honestly tempted to go down to RTE studios with a protest sign. I doubt I'd be alone.

Well it looks like you should have sorted yourselves some nukes, doesn't it?

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    Bill Clinton was right in his assessment of Corbyn; the maddest person in the room. (meaning angry not crazy).

Labour members flocked to the MP who most rebelled against the Blairite era without ever realising that's only where Corbyn could ever thrive, as a critical backbench objector. The transition from backbench to leader just hasn't worked and will not work. Unfortunately that won't hit home with his supporters until Labour get crushed in the next GE and by that point, it'll be far too late.

At the same time I think there's also an element of dangerous ground, not only might* the labour leader need to work with President Trump at some point in the future, but he's also just been voted in by pretty much the same demographics as Brexit - who make up far too much of the Labour electorate to criticise too much publicly. Even if it wasn't Corbyn I think Labour would be stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment because they can't really oppose the Government without losing a huge portion of their voters to UKIP (and the Tories to some extent) whilst they also can't push too hard for Brexit without losing the other half to the Lib Dems, SNP or Greens.

That said, his statement isn't far off the one from Bernie Sanders that seems to be being held up as a something good in the version of the internet that I've ended up seeing. Seems decent enough to me, and on second reading I think "we send our solidarity to a nation of migrants, innovators and democrats" is probably amongst the most "Fuck you, Trump" of the various diplomatic speak acknowledgements of the election results I've seen.

*hahahahahahaah, I mean theoretically though as someone in the position as leader of a major party

Tastyfish on
  • Options

Well it looks like you should have sorted yourselves some nukes, doesn't it?

How do you know we didn't? 8-)

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Apparently there's a massive protest against Trump taking place on Craggy Island:

agho0qj1xmxm.jpg

• Options
    Dammit, Dermot Morgan, if we ever needed you...

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Dammit, Dermot Morgan, if we ever needed you...

Only the good die young.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Man Charlie Booker must be going through hell right now trying to write his end of year Screenwipe. How can a satirist to reality this year.

Also do we know if he has a cursed typewriter or Something? I remember reading about a typewriter where what was written on it came true. This year has been his rejected scripts.

If the typewriter is true can we get it off him and into I dont know.. Warehouse 13 or something?

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Pretty sure 2016 Wipe is going to have to be about fifteen hours long.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

I feel like Jeremy corbyn doesn't really "get" twitter

I feel like Jeremy Corbyn is a fucking moron.

Yeah Jeremy, the next US president will be an openly racist sexual predator who ran a campaign of hate against everyone but this is totally a rejection of the political establishment and the problem here is his answers and not everything else about the man or how he came to power.

• Options
    I was more commenting on using twitter to post a wall of text

It is literally the kind of tweet that is produced by people that had to have twitter explained to them

No, it's literally the kind of tweet produced by everyone communicating about politics and all sorts of other things over twitter now.

Like, straight up, the standard use of twitter for most politicians or the media these days is to use the 140 characters as a headline and then send a much much longer message in the tweet via either a video, a link or extremely commonly as an embedded photo or a long piece of text.

Yes, it's exactly as stupid as it seems, but it's super common and it's entirely because twitter as a medium is really fucking stupid.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Charlie Brooker is the host of HIGNFY this week. That'll be an interesting episode!

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I prefer that to seeing (1/34) at the end of a tweet. Gawd. If you can't condense the message into 240 characters or whatever, maybe Twitter ain't the venue for your screed!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I prefer that to seeing (1/34) at the end of a tweet. Gawd. If you can't condense the message into 240 characters or whatever, maybe Twitter ain't the venue for your screed!

Yeah, that shit is even stupider in some ways, but actually easier to read alot of the time.

Twitter is not the venue for basically any form of actual communication but it's the one everyone apparently wants to use (including the next POTUS) so here we are.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Yeah Jeremy, the next US president will be an openly racist sexual predator who ran a campaign of hate against everyone but this is totally a rejection of the political establishment and the problem here is his answers and not everything else about the man or how he came to power.

He's completely right, the problem with Donald Trump is that he ran hard on being the anti-establishment candidate and used sexism and racism to fuel those flames (the rhetoric that Corbyn says is a problem) - but more importantly that the way he thinks he can fix these problems are horrendous and doomed to failure.

Trump and Brexit are completely massive rejections of the political establishment. Reasons for those rejections are often confused, and the solutions are delusional - but there is a reason, it's not just idiots voting randomly or people being vastly more racist than everyone expected (people are vastly more OK with racists than everyone expected though). It's people making stupid choices for very valid reasons that have no obvious or easy fix.

• Options
    Tastyfish wrote: »

He's completely right, the problem with Donald Trump is that he ran hard on being the anti-establishment candidate and used sexism and racism to fuel those flames (the rhetoric that Corbyn says is a problem) - but more importantly that the way he thinks he can fix these problems are horrendous and doomed to failure.

Trump and Brexit are completely massive rejections of the political establishment. Reasons for those rejections are often confused, and the solutions are delusional - but there is a reason, it's not just idiots voting randomly or people being vastly more racist than everyone expected (people are vastly more OK with racists than everyone expected though). It's people making stupid choices for very valid reasons that have no obvious or easy fix.

Nah, they are about as racist as people have been saying for a long time now.

And alot of it is a rejection of the current social order but the connection of that to the political establishment in the way Corbyn is talking about is fairly suspect.

Like, there's a reason both Brexit and Trump are wrapped up firmly in horrible social politics and it's not coincidence.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular

And alot of it is a rejection of the current social order but the connection of that to the political establishment in the way Corbyn is talking about is fairly suspect.

Like, there's a reason both Brexit and Trump are wrapped up firmly in horrible social politics and it's not coincidence.

The racism and rejection of the political establishment definitely go hand in hand.

The current establishment is run by/for "insert boogeyman here" kick them out.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Jephery wrote: »

The racism and rejection of the political establishment definitely go hand in hand.

The current establishment is run by/for "insert boogeyman here" kick them out.

It's like, is it really about escalating inequality and falling living standards as Corbyn says? Or is it about immigrants and political correctness and all that other stuff?

All the other stuff that always comes hand in hand with the "rejection of the political establishment" shows you how it's about alot more then what Corbyn (and to be fair others) is claiming it's about.

This discussion has been closed.