As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Linux desktop recording software

SikarianSikarian Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Does anyone know of any linux desktop recording software? I'm running Ubuntu 7.04. I'm trying to find a piece of software that will let me section out a selection on the screen and record that piece to a file.

I tried Istanbul, but that won't even open for me for some reason. I had a piece of software a while back but I forgot its name...it let me draw a big red square and pick the section, and then just hit Record.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sikarian on

• Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    From a yahoo search result:

http://sps.nus.edu.sg/~marimuth/linux/screen_capture.html

Hope this helps.

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    There's a command-line app called Scrot (I am not making that up), which captures to .png. There are several options like delay, capturing multi-displays, etc. It works fine, but I don't think you can choose a region. Are you looking to capture video or just screenshots?

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Guess i should have clarified it in my first post.

Ubuntu already has great built in print screen functionality, im looking for something that will record to a video live.

Sikarian on
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I haven't tried myself, so be careful:

http://www.demorecorder.com/

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Anyone have any recommendations of software they've used?

And being as I'm on Linux I like to keep it free :P

Sikarian on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Check out Xvidcap.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    xvidcap! That was it! That was the one I remember using before.

Awesome!

Thread complete, I just downloaded it and tried it, works much better on Feisty.

Sikarian on