As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo] Switch

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Broadly, I'm on board; I look to Nintendo to make Weird-Ass Consoles, and this fits the bill. I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford whatever gaming setups I might want, so if Console A doesn't cut it, I can also buy Console B (and I'm primarily a PC gamer anyway).

Here's what I want to know, though: how does this console work for families?

Like, my wife and I both have 3DSes because we're both dorks and we both play our own games, and I prefer carts (because I'm an old-fashioned traditionalist) and she prefers digital downloads (because she's a minimalist). Cool. What happens when the NX eclipses the Wii U/3DS generation? Do we now have two NXes, with two TV-connectable base-stations? I mean, that's not a big deal, but it does seem a bit wasteful (since we need one base station at most).

But also, we're just two Grown-Ass Adults. What about families with multiple kids? Right now, you can have a Family Wii U in the living room, and that's what everyone plays. What happens when little Susie decides to take the family NX to play on the bus ride to school, and little Johnny stays home because he's sick? Now he can't play the family NX, because it ain't there. Does every member of the family now need to have their own NX?

I'm not even preemptively condemning Nintendo or anything. I just genuinely want to know what they envision the model to be, because they've made it clear in previous generations that communal playing of the family console was an Important Thing for them. What does that look like for the next generation?

Oh yeah, this was the other big question from when the hybrid rumors first started up. And it's a really good one.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    If they are merging their portable and console product lines, they could just

release the games

If you don't think Mario 3D World NX would work on NX Portable, just play it on NX Home, and vice versa

Yeah I largely don't agree that games only work portable or home

But with the NX that doesn't matter, if you think it doesn't work on a tv then you can play it portable and someone else can still play it on tv!

But what if I wanted a 3D Mario (for the sake of argument) to play on my vacation trip, but all they made was 3D World, whose level design and gameplay focus (multiplayer) isn't conducive to a small screen experience? Because we have separate systems, there is a product for me--3D Land. In your "ideal" world, there isn't one.

I mean

Basically I don't agree with this sentence

So I can't answer the question as asked

Right, well if you're not bothered by all that stuff, sure, fine, but can you maybe accept that some people are? Like, I'm not just being crotchety--I legit find a lot of Wii U games nigh-unplayable on the gamepad by itself.

yes

but then you can play it on the tv because the NX has that flexibility

You can take a game you specifically find more suited to a smaller screen with you on a trip

this way nintendo doesn't really have to worry about it; they just put the game out and people can play it however they want

But in the current system I have all the options for both because they make games specifically for both. This is specifically reducing my choice, not increasing it.

dude I'm going to be honest I find that to be an absolutely incredibly bizarre way to look at it

you can now play all games nintendo makes either handheld or home console

that is not reducing your choice

Before they made two games, one that was designed for portable, and one that was designed for console. Now they will make one game that will likely work better in one format or the other. Before I could play two games, both ideal for the format they came for. Now I'm stuck with one and it might not be the one I really wanted.

why do you think they are going to halve game production

Because in your description of it, why would they make a Mario 3D Land and a Mario 3D World? Your argument was literally "they make one game and you play it on whatever". Which is where my argument of "that sometimes doesn't really work" comes from.

ok I'm... not really sure what you are talking about at this point so I think I'm gonna take a step back here

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    3D Land and World were made by the same studio and released 2 years apart. They'll still be making just as many games.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I never got to play any of the modern Fire Emblems or Pokemon games on my TV

They very specifically didn't make two versions of most of their games

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

release the games

If you don't think Mario 3D World NX would work on NX Portable, just play it on NX Home, and vice versa

But that's explicitly inferior to the current system where we got both 3D Land and 3D World

Nintendo isn't cutting down on software development resources

A merged platform theoretically means you would get both 3D Land and 3D World and you get to choose where you play them. It's all about design philosophy at a certain point and considering how well Nintendo's handheld stuff does I'd be more worried about console style games

Care Free Bomb on
    8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I hope the controllers are like the Wii setup. As long as there is no screen pointer.

I enjoyed being able to just flop onto my couch and hold the controller whichever way my arms felt comfortable instead of having to hold them together.

Yes, sometimes, I am that lazy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

release the games

But that's explicitly inferior to the current system where we got both 3D Land and 3D World

A merged platform theoretically means you would get both 3D Land and 3D World and you get to choose where you play them. It's all about design philosophy at a certain point and considering how well Nintendo's handheld stuff does I'd be more worried about console style games

Eh, that's certainly possible. And they're definitely more likely to design their games with optimal experiences in mind, given that I'm sure they've thought about most of these issues. It's just a concern I have and I don't think it's an illegitimate one. I'll definitely cool my jets though. Didn't mean to get so hot about it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular

release the games

Eh, that's certainly possible. And they're definitely more likely to design their games with optimal experiences in mind, given that I'm sure they've thought about most of these issues. It's just a concern I have and I don't think it's an illegitimate one. I'll definitely cool my jets though. Didn't mean to get so hot about it.

Oh yeah, no, it's super legitimate. I said "theoretically" because until we actually see what Nintendo makes there's no guarantee it'll come true.

And now I started thinking about how, if the base has some hardware in it instead of just streaming from the NX thing so handheld and console games are still somewhat different, they could sell incrementally upgraded bases for 4K and VR and stuff and got scared

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I never got to play any of the modern Fire Emblems or Pokemon games on my TV

They very specifically didn't make two versions of most of their games
    Yeah the whole "portable version of a console game and vice versa" thing has been done for a while

The last one I can recall that was worth noting was that Batman Blackgate game

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

release the games

Oh yeah, no, it's super legitimate. I said "theoretically" because until we actually see what Nintendo makes there's no guarantee it'll come true.

And now I started thinking about how, if the base has some hardware in it instead of just streaming from the NX thing so handheld and console games are still somewhat different, they could sell incrementally upgraded bases for 4K and VR and stuff and got scared

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Nintendo has been pretty vocally uninterested in tech trends for the sake of trends, so they aren't going to do anything like that without a solid plan for actually using it. You don't actually get much out of just porting games to a higher resolution or VR. It can help to fill out a library if you're trying to promote the platform, but you need solid native apps for it to be worth it and Nintendo does seem to understand that.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    borschevskyborschevsky Registered User regular
    The problem is that we might not get both Land and World; instead we'll get World and World 2. That's great for people (like me!) who like 3D World, but that's a game that is designed for a big screen, rather than a handheld.

The real problem will be if what we end up with is 3D WorldLand and 3D WorldLand 2 :biggrin:. Instead of a game optimized for handheld and another optimized for TV, we get two games which do both, but neither thing extremely well.

• Options
    The problem is that we might not get both Land and World; instead we'll get World and World 2. That's great for people (like me!) who like 3D World, but that's a game that is designed for a big screen, rather than a handheld.

The real problem will be if what we end up with is 3D WorldLand and 3D WorldLand 2 :biggrin:. Instead of a game optimized for handheld and another optimized for TV, we get two games which do both, but neither thing extremely well.

Yes, this is my concern, much more succinctly. Thanks.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

That's possible. The other possibility is we get 3D WorldLand and something else. Maybe Galaxy 3? Sunshine 2? Something completely new?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Heck. Yes. I'm super on board for this announcement. Now all they've gotta do is stick the landing with the pricing, and confirm that there will be some controller options when it's in 'home console' mode

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

That's possible. The other possibility is we get 3D WorldLand and something else. Maybe Galaxy 3? Sunshine 2? Something completely new?

Waluigi Land

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    borschevskyborschevsky Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Yep, and if it works out that way it could be great, especially if they're able to minimize the difference between handheld play and TV play, for example with a very good screen in the handheld. But whatever differences there are in the two modes of play, those differences have to be supported if games are going to be playable both ways. It's basically like they're splitting the userbase without even releasing add-ons this time :biggrin:.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I think my only concern here is that it doesn't seem like it's going to be a big boost from the Wii U, and not on par with the other consoles in terms of power. Yeah, yeah, graphics are whatever, but the processing power doesn't go into just graphics. There's lots of other possibilities that come from increased horsepower and, honestly, it'd be nice to get some 3rd-party software on a Nintendo console again. I don't want to buy two consoles to get all the games.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2016
    I wouldn't worry too much about that. Nintendo has been pretty vocally uninterested in tech trends for the sake of trends, so they aren't going to do anything like that without a solid plan for actually using it.

You mean like 3D?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    no bc sucks

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    nintendo's plan is, indeed, to increase software output by having the same number of developers now all work on a single platform

release one mario kart instead of two, and use the time you'd spend on a second mario kart on other projects

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    nintendo's plan is, indeed, to increase software output by having the same number of developers now all work on a single platform

release one mario kart instead of two, and use the time you'd spend on a second mario kart on other projects

Okay this is pretty exciting to me

Because I'm looking at my 3ds collection and my wii u collection and just having all of those games on one console would make that an amazing console

The idea of even MORE Nintendo makes me pretty happy, and hopefully this leads to them trying out new stuff when they wouldn't have previously

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Nintendo pretty much proved that they have the power to almost single handed lt support a platform with the 3ds

And they tried to make the same move with the Wii u but they did too little too late

Consolidating their shit into one platform lets them full the full weight of their development studio behind a single product

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Just please no dual screen, or if there is then at least don't make it a touch screen.

It is infuriating to try playing some 3DS games as a leftie.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Just please no dual screen, or if there is then at least don't make it a touch screen.

It is infuriating to try playing some 3DS games as a leftie.

That would be a significant downgrade on both counts

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I could care less what Nintendo's latest weird gimmick is. The Wii U being less powerful, or having a weird controller, isn't what made it lose the generation in the big picture (though they helped the Problem). What made it lose is that people struggled to find more than one game a year they wanted on it.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i played nearly all of Super Mario 3d World on the game pad, worked great. provided the NX screen is of good quality I imagine it won't be a concern other than having to design around a game needing to be able to pause and sleep at any time.

• Options
    the controller probably hurt more in that it kept the price of the hardware high

if they can retail this for $250 that would be "very nice" (borat ref)

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The control pad for the WiiU is garbage and I don't want any 'handheld' that is nearly that big.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    The control pad for the WiiU is garbage and I don't want any 'handheld' that is nearly that big.

Well you're in luck, cause it ain't gonna be that big

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I could care less what Nintendo's latest weird gimmick is. The Wii U being less powerful, or having a weird controller, isn't what made it lose the generation in the big picture (though they helped the Problem). What made it lose is that people struggled to find more than one game a year they wanted on it.

I think those things are related though

The Wii U being less powerful, coupled with the 2nd screen, meant that 3rd parties had to devote extra resources to develop for the system, which they generally weren't willing to do unless Nintendo chipped in money wise, which they could only do so much

Which meant that Nintendo had to largely support the system on their own, and when they weren't busy devoting their resources to doing that already with the 3DS, they were making games that were all tangled up with the Wii U's gimmicks in a way that put everyone off of them

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    -Tal wrote: »

Well you're in luck, cause it ain't gonna be that big

There is nothing in the rumor that indicates the size of the silly thing.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

I think those things are related though

The Wii U being less powerful, coupled with the 2nd screen, meant that 3rd parties had to devote extra resources to develop for the system, which they generally weren't willing to do unless Nintendo chipped in money wise, which they could only do so much

Which meant that Nintendo had to largely support the system on their own, and when they weren't busy devoting their resources to doing that already with the 3DS, they were making games that were all tangled up with the Wii U's gimmicks in a way that put everyone off of them

well like i said, they helped the Problem

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The gamepad was never designed as a handheld, it was for in-home off tv play

This is designed as a handheld, so you can reasonably expect it to be slimmer and more por table than the gamepad

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Counterpoint The Control Pad is awesome and I love it

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I would just like to say that I'm glad we have a Nintendo thread again because I've been playing Thousand Year Door and yeah, that game is fucking fantastic

It took me an embarrassingly long time to get the timing down for the jump attacks, like, I think the game clock was over 3 hours, but now that I do it feels awesome every time. Especially the Power Bounce

I just beat chapter 3 and as someone who is currently pretty into wrestling it was a blast. Really liked the way that chapter handled combat encounters.

But yeah, writing's great, game looks great, been digging all the characters, combat is super fun, just a really good game so far

Probably my only complaint so far is how one of the partners has you mash the right trigger to do an attack. It feels like I'm trying to murder my gamecube controller. And I really like that partner so I'll probably keep doing it.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Counterpoint The Control Pad is awesome and I love it

I really wish more games actually used it as an alternate display/handheld, and that some of those that did would adjust their fonts when you were using the pad.

But otherwise yes it rules. It's especially nice to kick back in bed and play old VC games.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    More than anything, I was convinced they were eventually going to get the Wii U to support two gamepads at once for head to head action on hidden information games. Stuff like choosing plays in Madden and moves in Pokemon. We could've had a Wii U Pokemon Stadium where people watching can't see the moves being selected! Literal E-Sports!

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Ilpala wrote: »
    More than anything, I was convinced they were eventually going to get the Wii U to support two gamepads at once for head to head action on hidden information games. Stuff like choosing plays in Madden and moves in Pokemon. We could've had a Wii U Pokemon Stadium where people watching can't see the moves being selected! Literal E-Sports!

Pokemon already has games where the people watching can't see the moves being selected. They're called Pokemon X and Y and Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire and a lot of people watch them.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRDu2PUNoDo

Lady Layton, the next follow-up to the Professor Layton series, is coming to 3DS and mobile next Spring

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Niiiiiice

This discussion has been closed.