As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo] Switch

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    anyways, cartridges are more expensive to make than disc so good luck finding that third party support

again

i wonder if the cartridges will just be like... storage

download a game to a generic cartridge from an online service, or buy the cartridge direct from a retailer with the game pre-loaded on it

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    anyways, cartridges are more expensive to make than disc so good luck finding that third party support

again

oh this sounds like they've totally given up on home consoles

it mostly sounds like they're making a new handheld with a built in Super Gameboy

If it looks as good as a WiiU I think they'll be fine on that front

Their art style can carry them like it did during the Wii generation

The graphics race has slowed down in any case and this is their opportunity to just straight up not care and have some kind of excuse: it has to run the same in portable mode

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    cartridges are only for the collector's editions

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I have some weird friends who insist that if the NX doesn't do 4K then Nintendo has already failed again

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

again

download a game to a generic cartridge from an online service, or buy the cartridge direct from a retailer with the game pre-loaded on it

I'd be shocked. Even when games media moved to disc, they took steps to prevent you from using burned discs (steps that were often easy to circumvent, sure, but, hey, they tried). Being able to download to a cartridge sounds like a good way to passively enable piracy which no big industry player will be okay with.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

again

What if digital only is an option? Nintendo said they considered just not using physical media but decided against it but that doesn't necessarily mean they're requiring every game to have a physical option.

it almost certainly will be, nothing about the form factor requires them to strip out all storage or wifi, which is the only thing you need to have digital games

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Honestly then taking about sacrificing power for portability makes me think that this is gonna be a step up from the 3DS but not necessarily a step up from the Wii u

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I have some weird friends who insist that if the NX doesn't do 4K then Nintendo has already failed again

well they haven't really been releasing too many 2K games, I can't imagine they would have much luck trying for 4

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    This seems, bad. They're losing the price advantage on the portable system.

I always assumed that if the portable/home hybrid was real, then you'd be able to buy the portable part separately for a lower price if you wanted, then dock it to the home part for a power increase so that the games could run in HD on the TV. But this doesn't sound like that. At least if they were doing that, they wouldn't be risking their last cash cow, but if you have to buy the whole thing to get the portable part, and the NX fails, what then?

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Like it is now conceivable to me that the Wii U version of Zelda will be the better looking version

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I mean.

How much more expensive are SD cards (probably basically what would be inside any modern cart) than disks nowadays really? They are getting cheaper every six months it seems.

• Options

I mean these are "graphics first" people

If thats what they care about then yeah nintendo has failed

Nintendo just couldn't give less of a shit about that perspective

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

again

I read that they might have a contract with someone to get flash storage on the cheap?

Anyhow, if this shit's true, it's all going to come down to execution. Power, batter life, costs, controller form factor, etc. Could be interesting.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

again

I'd be shocked. Even when games media moved to disc, they took steps to prevent you from using burned discs (steps that were often easy to circumvent, sure, but, hey, they tried). Being able to download to a cartridge sounds like a good way to passively enable piracy which no big industry player will be okay with.

I'm not sure if it would be demonstrably different from having downloads to a hard drive.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

again

What if digital only is an option? Nintendo said they considered just not using physical media but decided against it but that doesn't necessarily mean they're requiring every game to have a physical option.

It might be an option, but the catch is that you have to buy everything again because Nintendo still don't understand account based unlocks.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016

4K is still a few years off from wide acceptance so it's probably not that big a deal.

I'm disappointed they didn't try for better parity with the competition but I'll wait to see the full details before I decide if I'll get one of these. I like parts of the concept described in the article but theres things about it that are super disappointing too.

rhylith on
  • Options
    do people think the 3DS line would be discontinued in favor of the merged NX?

or is 3DS reconfigured/maintained as the budget arm of the NX, or

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

3DS is going to be 6 years old when the NX comes out, and its sales are cratering. It'll be discontinued sooner rather than later.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    After developers started announcing games for the NX it was only a matter of time before something about it got leaked

There's nothing about a touchscreen or dual screens there which worries me, not just for losing those quality of life things going forward but it would be a massive blow to DS, 3DS, and Wii U ports/virtual console. The controller segments being detachable is really good though, assuming they can be kept detached, and if they can be attached to the top and bottom in addition to the sides then they could make games to be played in a vertical orientation which would be amazing. If they did that and the screen was touchable that would also solve DS/3DS virtual console stuff by using the screen like they do with Wii U DS stuff.

Boy do I not want to go back to playing Pokemon on a single screen though

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    i think this can work, IF they work real hard to get indie games on this sucker like whoa

lots of critically acclaimed games these days aren't graphical powerhouses, and sony pursuing an indie initiative kept the vita sputtering along for like a good 2-3 years longer than it deserved to

if they're selling this as The Place to Play All Your Nintendo Games, and Also You Can Play Hyper Light Drifter On the Go, then maybe it could work

but if that's the way they're going then the gotta hit a cheap price point

Speed Racer on
  • Options

again

It might be an option, but the catch is that you have to buy everything again because Nintendo still don't understand account based unlocks.

Well, the discussion was about third-party support, so that's a moot point because there's no "again".

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I do wonder if Nintendo would be savvy enough to see the hole opening up in Indie Games On A Portable now that the Vita is for real dead

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    what if they make a warioware game based on assembling the controller into different orientations

• Options

Same as every gen--there will be stuff for it for about a year or so, with a sharp drop-off as post-launch content for the new device ramps up with adoption.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I do wonder if Nintendo would be savvy enough to see the hole opening up in Indie Games On A Portable now that the Vita is for real dead

They seem to have been trying to court indie devs lately, with the biggest holdup being Wii U development roadblocks, so I wouldn't be suprised if that was a major pillar of their strategy this time around.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Same as every gen--there will be stuff for it for about a year or so, with a sharp drop-off as post-launch content for the new device ramps up with adoption.

yeah, I guess my question (and to zython who also answered) was less about current-gen stuff in particular and more about whether this was intended to really just leave Nintendo with one system that does both portable and console stuff, like it looks to be

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Its

Weird to be excited about Nintendo again

It has been a very long time

• Options
    Its

Meanwhile I've never been more apprehensive. God if they ruin this for their core demographic, me, I'm going to be very upset. Although I'll definitely have more time to get new hobbies.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I will probably love whatever bullshit they put out, like always, and dump a preposterous amount of money into, so

Go ahead, Nintendo, announce the NX is a live cassowary. I'll fucking buy that shit and marvel as it destroys my apartment.

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    i think this can work, IF they work real hard to get indie games on this sucker like whoa

lots of critically acclaimed games these days aren't graphical powerhouses, and sony pursuing an indie initiative kept the vita sputtering along for like a good 2-3 years longer than it deserved to

if they're selling this as The Place to Play All Your Nintendo Games, and Also You Can Play Hyper Light Drifter On the Go, then maybe it could work

but if that's the way they're going then the gotta hit a cheap price point

they'll also need to make it relatively easy to develop for the system

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Its

Meanwhile I've never been more apprehensive. God if they ruin this for their core demographic, me, I'm going to be very upset. Although I'll definitely have more time to get new hobbies.

Same

I've never needed a direct more for telling me if I should be excited for a thing or not.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    i'm not gonna be putting any gameboy of any sort in a pocket. do people put 3DSs in their pockets? game boy goes in bag

When I had my Gameboy/GBA with me in Iraq/Afghanistan I used some paracord to tie it to my armor so I could tuck it in my left arm slot in my armor
    I am still amazed that the game boy still looks factory fresh the gba mostly so and the neo geo pocket pretty good
    KINDLE_CAMERA_1375426301000_zps61321b6b.jpg

Brainleech on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

again

Well, the discussion was about third-party support, so that's a moot point because there's no "again".

Nested quotes, my nemesis!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Man, the fidelity on those razor-sharp talons is amazing.

I especially like how it disembowels me when I try to ride it.

10/10 Nintendo does it again.

• Options

again

Nested quotes, my nemesis!

But yeah, I did mention earlier that while I'd love to believe that digital titles will transfer over this time, I absolutely do not expect it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

again

Famicom Disk System flashbacks here

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Yeah, nothing about this announcement makes me want this machine.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    on the plus side, I can always spend $150+ to repair my Wii U so I can play the new Zelda

this is the first nintendo console that I didn't wish I had day one

(not because I have anything against the NX, but because my Wii U was such a piece of crap that I won't buy a nintendo console until I hear a plethora of reviews saying the damn thing lasts longer than half a year!)

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    on the plus side, I can always spend $150+ to repair my Wii U so I can play the new Zelda

(not because I have anything against the NX, but because my Wii U was such a piece of crap that I won't buy a nintendo console until I hear a plethora of reviews saying the damn thing lasts longer than half a year!)

You have plenty of reviews saying that about the Wii U. You have pretty much everyone with a Wii U who's saying that. We've said it before, you got a lemon. Which sucks, but it is NOT representative of the product as a whole.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Xaquin wrote: »

You have plenty of reviews saying that about the Wii U. You have pretty much everyone with a Wii U who's saying that. We've said it before, you got a lemon. Which sucks, but it is NOT representative of the product as a whole.

I've also had 3 Wii's die on me (ok, 2 were mine and one my girlfriends)

In fact, it's been the disc drive on every single Nintendo console failure I've had

(before anyone suggests it, I've never had a DVD player/Bluray Player/CD player/PS drive go bad on me!)

edited because I miscounted

Xaquin on
This discussion has been closed.