As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm not ready for [Chat]

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Yes but you're literally using the sun's power against itself when you use solar power to run your air conditioning.

FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Yes but you're literally using the sun's power against itself when you use solar power to run your air conditioning.

FUCK YOU SUN!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Literally

Figuratively

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I've seen a mini van that has a solar array and can run a fridge enough to keep things cold (food preservation and medicine preservation) and can charge devices (entertainment) and the dude lives out of it.

I don't understand why we can't upscale that to home use levels.

I mean I guess I do understand, because people want things that eat up a lot of electricity.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    a big thing that is shit about solar power, apart from the whole "supplying power at best only half the time" thing is that there's no good way to store it

so the efficiency goes even more to hell. You've got nothing to do with all the surplus power. Same thing with wind power.

Combining them with pumped hydroelectric let's you exploit the benefits of converting the energy in a reservoir to electrical power; you can do it backwards if you have more electricity than you need and save the water for later

Why not just keep it in your pocket?

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    man I bet a major lazer concert would be fun as fuck. I'd dance my dang legs off.

DUDE!

I saw them last month. That shit was ABSOLUTELY BONKERS.

If you get the chance you want to see them. You will dance until you're dead.

Like holy shit. I listened to non-stop Major Lazer for like a week afterwards because it was such a great show.

Nice! I'd love to see them. They're playing Outside Lands on the 7th but I'll be in NY then. Feels like they mostly do festival tours, which makes sense. I've got tickets to MØ at the warfield in november and cannot possible be more excited.

Also I still can't stop bumping too original - it's still the hypest shit I've heard in a while and it's nearly a year old.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPL3NLsP__k

What is up with tiny asian Charlie Chaplin?

star of the show right there. wish I had, like, a third of those moves.

elliphant's new album is real good. super poppy and less abrasive than the stuff on A Good Idea. nothing as banging as Revolusion though.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    which was the idiot city or state or whatever that rejected solar power infrastructure for fear of using up all the sun's energy?

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    which was the idiot city or state or whatever that rejected solar power infrastructure for fear of using up all the sun's energy?

This can't be real

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    Orphane wrote: »
    the other outcome would be i go all in and get like the centaurgirl one

.... which...centaur girl

This is deadly serious, p10
    i don't know pls advice Orphane

Surely you already had some centaur girls in mind when you made this post p10

I won't judge but that's a lie i will totally judge you if you pick the wrong one
    i know nothing about centaurgirls
    i just know that centaurgirl body pillows are a thing i can get and would be more absurd than a regular bodypillow while somehow making me feel less skeevy because at least the centaurgirl is wearing clothes

Are they tho

*Raises eyebrow*

Did you turn the dakimakura over p10

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I've seen a mini van that has a solar array and can run a fridge enough to keep things cold (food preservation and medicine preservation) and can charge devices (entertainment) and the dude lives out of it.

I mean I guess I do understand, because people want things that eat up a lot of electricity.

well because it's kind of a waste, the idea of every man his power plant. Economies of scale are a thing

secondly because he might not even live off the solar array - it's a car, he recharges the battery by driving. I actually doubt that he runs a fridge off of just the panels.

and thirdly; because during the night, it would be battery powered. Battery powered homes are a terrible, extremely wasteful idea.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

My parents have a big house. When we were all living there the 9kW solar array met about 70% of our energy needs. Since we've all moved out they're now in net-excess constantly.

I suspect if said house was better insulated, we'd have been fine even when me and my brothers were there.

So short answer: more then enough sun to make residential living work out. It's industry you gotta worry about.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    the other outcome would be i go all in and get like the centaurgirl one

.... which...centaur girl

This is deadly serious, p10
    i don't know pls advice Orphane

Surely you already had some centaur girls in mind when you made this post p10

I won't judge but that's a lie i will totally judge you if you pick the wrong one
    i know nothing about centaurgirls
    i just know that centaurgirl body pillows are a thing i can get and would be more absurd than a regular bodypillow while somehow making me feel less skeevy because at least the centaurgirl is wearing clothes

Are they tho

*Raises eyebrow*

Did you turn the dakimakura over p10
    i will revisit this topic when i am at home and i can google dakimakura without being instantly arrested / pilloried

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The Colossal Pillar of M alarkey

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

This can't be real

found it

http://www.discovery.com/dscovrd/tech/town-rejects-solar-panels-that-would-suck-up-all-the-energy-from-the-sun/

north carolina town

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular

This can't be real

dog we got folks in congress worried about Guam "capsizing." no surprise here.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    a big thing that is shit about solar power, apart from the whole "supplying power at best only half the time" thing is that there's no good way to store it

so the efficiency goes even more to hell. You've got nothing to do with all the surplus power. Same thing with wind power.

Combining them with pumped hydroelectric let's you exploit the benefits of converting the energy in a reservoir to electrical power; you can do it backwards if you have more electricity than you need and save the water for later

Why not just keep it in your pocket?

Because of the cancer.

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
  • Options
    apparently they did go on to install some solar panels though

despite the dire warnings

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    we need a massive revolution in battery tech for sure

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    drive a tesla hauling a trailer covered in solar panels. boom energy crisis solved.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

well because it's kind of a waste, the idea of every man his power plant. Economies of scale are a thing

secondly because he might not even live off the solar array - it's a car, he recharges the battery by driving. I actually doubt that he runs a fridge off of just the panels.

and thirdly; because during the night, it would be battery powered. Battery powered homes are a terrible, extremely wasteful idea.

I mean I don't know shit about economies of scale so I'll agree with you, it's just odd to me. I do a lot of research on homesteading and off-grid living as well as tiny home off grid and it seems like if that can work, you could have a scenario where it would work large scale, but to me it's not economic it's that we (especially Americans) value our individuality.

I'd personally be all in for living in a nice little 2-3 bedroom house that looks like every other house on a grid and each home has a solar panel and we're all given an electric car that's identical to drive to work in and it's all paid for by tax dollars and I no longer have a mortgage, but I know that I'm the weird one in that scenario.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Bluh. I'm gonna miss the webcomic thread.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    one of my best friends, who i love dearly, is also so goddamn needy

i spent fri-sun with him at music festival

the week before we tripped balls and also went to movie together the week before

we're going to a concert together tomorrow night

but he's like i've been self destructive and sad this week, and was like does anyone want to hang out with me today i need a friend
    i was like see you tomorrow we will go to this concert and dance and it'll be fun

and i'll probably see him saturday too

and he's all like i need a friend tonight

jesus christ mannnnnnn

poo
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Guam is a giant sea turtle.

Was not good choice for base, despite radness.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i only like nebraska
    y'all motherfuckers watch some Eureeka's Castle?

that was the hardcore stuff. for the kids who'd grow up and get into psychedelics.

i totally remember this shit

fucking magellan

also can confirm i did a lot psychedelics between 18-21

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    cptrugged wrote: »
    you were supposed to rage against the machine Gen X
    now you are the machine

Turns out raging was also a bunch of bullshit.

/shrug

Who cares.

tom morello ended up in the fkin e street band so

basically everything i've known was a lie

But Springsteen's been a protest song-singer for a while. There's nothing odd about Morello joining. You can rage mellow-ly. It's possible.

it's a very confusing thing because i am the born in the usa generation back when we were naive and thought reagan was a good president and that song was pro-usa

born in the usa is an interesting case study of the percentage of the population that listens to the lyrics of a song (approximately .00000001)

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular

the week before we tripped balls and also went to movie together the week before

but he's like i've been self destructive and sad this week, and was like does anyone want to hang out with me today i need a friend
    i was like see you tomorrow we will go to this concert and dance and it'll be fun

jesus christ mannnnnnn

Tell your friend to get fukken huge already

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Solar power in Seattle.

Lol.

Meh much like wind power, just put the panels in eastern washington. Also we do get sun over here, especially in the summer.

Id imagine your "we get sun" is a lot like people in the midwest saying "it rains a lot".

I envy the amount of cloudy days you get.

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »
    you were supposed to rage against the machine Gen X
    now you are the machine

Turns out raging was also a bunch of bullshit.

/shrug

Who cares.

tom morello ended up in the fkin e street band so

basically everything i've known was a lie

But Springsteen's been a protest song-singer for a while. There's nothing odd about Morello joining. You can rage mellow-ly. It's possible.

it's a very confusing thing because i am the born in the usa generation back when we were naive and thought reagan was a good president and that song was pro-usa

born in the usa is an interesting case study of the percentage of the population that listens to the lyrics of a song (approximately .00000001)

like brides who select pearl jam's better man for their first dance

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

I'm not at all convinced that batteries will ever be the solution.

unless they come up with magic batteries that last forever and never need to be thrown out

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Bluh. I'm gonna miss the webcomic thread.

:bro:

We'll always have your awesome Voiceovers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50nm5juKMFg

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    the irony of using born in the usa for a republican candidate song is so fucking delicious

• Options

unless they come up with magic batteries that last forever and never need to be thrown out

yeah a big problem with batteries is how terrible they are for the environment, oddly enough

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Grape Ape wrote: »

jesus christ mannnnnnn

Tell your friend to get fukken huge already

i do tell him this actually

poo
  • Options

I mean I don't know shit about economies of scale so I'll agree with you, it's just odd to me. I do a lot of research on homesteading and off-grid living as well as tiny home off grid and it seems like if that can work, you could have a scenario where it would work large scale, but to me it's not economic it's that we (especially Americans) value our individuality.

I'd personally be all in for living in a nice little 2-3 bedroom house that looks like every other house on a grid and each home has a solar panel and we're all given an electric car that's identical to drive to work in and it's all paid for by tax dollars and I no longer have a mortgage, but I know that I'm the weird one in that scenario.

no I mean like instead of you all having small patches of solar panels on your roofs you could just pay me who builds a massive far far more efficient solar power plant

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

no I mean like instead of you all having small patches of solar panels on your roofs you could just pay me who builds a massive far far more efficient solar power plant

Ah, that makes more sense.

• Options
    Also it's not like the thread is dead. We just have to put more effort into talking about the comics.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

I think the theory is use some sort of carbon lattice system (nanotubes or similar things) to hold electrical charges. No degradation since there's really no chemical differences in the system, and none of that crystallization that happens with rechargables?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I wanted Every Rose has its Thorn by Poison to be my wedding song but my wife veoted it.

She also said no to Purple Rain.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Every year or so I hear about some high school genius discovering a way to make batteries last super long but nothing ever results from it.

This discussion has been closed.