As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mcaffee SecurityCenter... worth keeping?

kj01kj01 Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently got a new Dell computer, and already pre-installed on it was the McAfee SecurityCenter. I've heard that anti-virus and anti-spyware programs are sometimes more trouble than they're worth (due to firewalls and such limiting internet access). Also, it asks me to register it to receive necessary upgrades... but when I say "register now", it does not do anything. So I was just curious if it was worth keeping, or whether it would be alright to simply uninstall it. Any input is great.

kj01 on

• Options
    kevbotkevbot Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My advice would be to get rid of it. I'd also wipe the hard drive and re-install from scratch just to get all of the dell pre-installed junk off of it.

I'm partial to NOD32 as far as antivirus software goes. It doesn't cost too much, is blindingly fast and if you don't like how a component is working, you can turn it off (ie I don't need Internet content filtering or Outlook/Office integration, so I can disable it in the control panel and actually have it turn off). I've used pretty much every maintream AV (norton, mcaffee, bitdefender, avg, antivir, kaspersky) and I recommend NOD32 above all of them.

kevbot on
    Your music is bad, and you should feel bad!
  • Options
    TrikoTriko Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Get rid of it FAST!

I wasted $70 on Mcaffee Security Center, which slowed my computer to a crawl for two weeks (I tried everything to see what was wrong), before I sucked it up and uninstalled the damn thing. Do a little research online (like forums discussing Mcaffee), and you'll get a lot of the same complaints.

I use AntiVir Guard antivirus after it got mentioned on this forums, it's free and works good enough for me.

Triko on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Personally I think all anti-virus programs are a waste of CPU cycles and memory. I don't bother with any on my systems and on the rare occasion I do get viruses (usually from some dumbass's shares at a LAN party), I haven't met one I couldn't beat down in five minutes with safe mode, the CLE and sysinternals (albeit in reverse order). Then again, I've worked desktop support for the last decade, so maybe it's worth it to you to have software figure it out for you... just stay the hell away from Norton.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Personally I think all anti-virus programs are a waste of CPU cycles and memory. I don't bother with any on my systems and on the rare occasion I do get viruses (usually from some dumbass's shares at a LAN party), I haven't met one I couldn't beat down in five minutes with safe mode, the CLE and sysinternals (albeit in reverse order). Then again, I've worked desktop support for the last decade, so maybe it's worth it to you to have software figure it out for you... just stay the hell away from Norton.
    Yeah, this is my experience, too, though a lot of people on these boards will disagree with me.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Yeah, this is my experience, too, though a lot of people on these boards will disagree with me.

Well, yes, common sense dictates leaving your computer vulnerable in order to save up a little bit of memory is a dumb thing to do.

OP: I use AVG. It's pretty effective, and I don't notice it running at all (except maybe if it's doing its daily active scan).

ege02 on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    I've always used avast ( http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html )

Its free for personal use and its kept my compy nice and healthy, its never slowed me down, to my knowledge. I too have a dell, and got rid of pretty much all the crap that came with it. I've never tried AVG

Iruka on
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ege02 wrote: »
    OP: I use AVG. It's pretty effective, and I don't notice it running at all (except maybe if it's doing its daily active scan).

I use the same thing. For a free AV software, it's got a fairly low resourece footprint, decent scanning, etc. I've also got a buddy running NOD32, so I'll second that one as well. But for the love of god, get mcaffee off there.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    KMFurDMKMFurDM Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »

You won't see me disagree. I haven't had a virus since the mid 90's. I learned my lesson the hard way in the days when AOL (2.0) was king.

It's about smart computing at the end of the day but if you must use antivirus for peace of mind go with AVG.

KMFurDM on
  • Options
    ReitenReiten Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've always found Mcaffee to be a horrible drain on my system. I've used both AVG and Antivir with good results. The AOL free one is also good (it's based on Kaspersky), although I had some problems with it and peer-to-peer programs (IIRC, the problem was fixed in the paid Kaspersky, but the free base provided to AOL was pre-fix).

Reiten on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've used Avast for years and have never had a virus

maybe I'm lucky, but all the same, I'm not about to stop using it

Xaquin on