As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Voltage] Chapter 1, Act 1: Bugging Out!

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I've been called back to work early guys! Terribly sorry.

It's an overall fun system but it needs a few tweaks. I'd recommend a "swarm" rule for taking on weak Pokemon like this in groups, to make it faster. Something along the lines of them sharing HP, or their Defence decreasing per turn. As it stands I think only a successful Brave Bird could take any of them out in one hit. Once the gang get down to just using 1 HP attacks this could turn into a slog!

I also think giving trainer Pokemon passive abilities could allow them to subtly outmatch wild ones without it being too noticeable. Say Kaz has +2 Defence on the first turn of a battle, or Yuuto always poisons on a natural 12.

It'd be nice if there were better established ways for a trainer to help out. Maybe roll +1 if you put yourself in harms way to help your poke achieve something.

I've left you in a odd place. Use the characters as you like until this battle is over, then maybe leave them to help tidy up?

I'll turn back up in a month if I'm able. Bye!

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Ah... hate to see you leave, but we'll keep you on the back burner.

The points you make I have thought of. I think I said it somewhere on the forums about how the Pokemon in the games have Abilities native to the Pokemon themselves, like Swift Swim gives you a boost of speed when it's raining or battling in water, or Levitate makes you immune to Ground Moves, even if your Type doesn't. I had thought of doing something like that, but I wanted to test out the main system before adding bells and whistles to it.

In my Cortex+ Pokemon game that I never finished, I had the Trainer Class have abilities that you could unlock that would help your Pokemon in and out of battle. The one example I have is the Bug Catcher (yes, I really like Bug-Type Pokemon...)
    d4 Bug Catcher
    -Crazy for Critters: Step up your Capture skill by one die when you try to capture Bug Type Pokemon.
    -That is a Bug: Gain the Skill “Bug-Type Knowledge” with a die equal to your Trainer Type. If you already have it, increase it by one.
    -Pokemon Hide in Tall Grass: Increase your Pokemon's Speed by one die when battling in Tall Grass or Forest areas.

The minion/swarm group idea is also one that I had, since it's very popular in games like Marvel Heroics, 13th Age, and FFG Star Wars RPG. But again, I wanted to test out a "normal" battle first before attempting to add bells and whistles to it.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I also don't think it will ever turn into a Basic Attack slog fest. Wait regains three energy, which is enough at least for metal claw to be used every other turn. That means if you hit with every attack, basic or move, you have

Basic Attack: Turn 1, 1 damage, Turn 2,1 damage, Turn 3, 1 damage, Turn 4, 1 damage, Turn 5, 1 damage, Turn 6, 1 damage. 6 total damage
    Metal Claw: Turn 1, 3 damage, Turn 2, 0 damage, Turn 3, 3 damage, Turn 4, 0 damage, Turn 5, 3 damage, Turn 6, 0 damage. 9 total damage

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Yeah, and some moves like Brave Bird are expensive moves. Like, you guys picked some higher level moves then a starting Pokemon have, which is fine because it really doesn't matter being this is an alpha. I think if I really tried to put limits to what moves you can get, that might even less true, because by the time you can get powerful moves like Hyperbeam and Thunder, you would have a lot more energy anyhow. For now, you guys have level 5 Pokemon running around with level 30+ moves.

Haibi doesn't make it far before the Weedle hits him. It doesn't hurt the Ryhorn much, but it still stings.

Back to the top of the combat block. I'm going to drop Caterpie 2&3 to hopefully balance things out since we are losing a Trainer. Note that using Gust to push Pokemon away doesn't normally blast them away like they are members of Team Rocket.

Combat Stat Block

Kaz- Stamina 12/12 Energy 6/10[/s]
    Yuuto- Stamina 8/10 Energy 8/8
    Haibisukasu- Stamina 9/10 Energy 7/10
    Kumo- Stamina 7/10 Energy 5/8- NOW THE RIGHT ONE!
    Caterpie 1- Stamina 8/8 Energy 5/7
    Caterpie 2- Stamina 8/8 Energy 7/7- BLOWN AWAY
    Caterpie 3- Stamina 8/8 Energy 7/7- BLOWN AWAY
    Weedle 1- Stamina 7/7 Energy 5/8
    Weedle 2- Stamina 7/7 Energy 5/8
    Weedle 3- Stamina 7/7 Energy 8/8

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Crossed of wrong Pokemon. Kaz is me, he was Kumo.

• Options
    KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    Yuuto hissed as he tried to shake off the strings still clinging on to his fur, digging his claws into the ground. "I'll brush your fur out when this is all over. That and two full dishes of your favorite." Kana knew that if she didn't do something, Yuuto's mood was going to turn sour quickly. Yuuto looked at her and grunted. "Two dishes and not one plate more." Kana held firm and after a moment Yuuto snorted and pawed the ground before he charged off at the Weedle attacking Haibisukasu.

Geth roll 2d6+4 for Poison Jab against Weedle

Poison Jab against Weedle:
    2d6+4 7 [2d6=2, 1]

• Options
    Annoyed at the bug pokemon ramming her, Haibisukasu will follow Yuuto's Poison Jab with another Metal Claw.

Geth roll 2d6+5 for Metal Claw (STAB) against Weedle

Metal Claw (STAB) against Weedle:
    2d6+5 13 [2d6=6, 2]

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    "Kaz, let's try it again but simpler. And follow the others." The Abra nodded in approval at Yuto, swiping out with its bare paw at the Weedle that Yuuto and Haibu were attacking.

Geth, roll 2d6+2 for Basic Attack against Weedle

Basic Attack against Weedle:
    2d6+2 7 [2d6=3, 2]

• Options
    I'll update this thread tomorrow. Got busy with family and trying to get my paladin in WoW up to level 100 with the invasion event going on.

• Options
    No problem, we are only all trying to take up all of your time forever.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    The Weedle jumps away from Yuuto's Poison Jab without much effort but it places him in a terrible position as Haibisukasu knocks him off his feet with his Metal Claw attack and Kaz slams him right in the side. The Pokemon falls to the ground hurt but still there.

Geth roll 2d6+3 for Weedle 1 defense (Resist)
    Geth roll 2d6+3 for Weedle 1 defense
    Geth roll 2d6+3 for Weedle 1 defense

Edit: Basic Attack does 1 damage, not 3...

Combat Stat Block

Kaz- Stamina 12/12 Energy 7/10[/s]
    Yuuto- Stamina 8/10 Energy 4/8
    Caterpie 1- Stamina 8/8 Energy 3/7
    Weedle 1- Stamina 2/7 Energy 5/8
    Weedle 2- Stamina 7/7 Energy 5/8

Weedle 1 defense (Resist):
    2d6+3 9 [2d6=1, 5]
    Weedle 1 defense:
    2d6+3 12 [2d6=3, 6]
    Weedle 1 defense:
    2d6+3 6 [2d6=2, 1]

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    The last Caterpie continues it's assault on Kaz, trying to Tackle the Pokemon again.

Geth roll 2d6+3 against Kaz

against Kaz:
    2d6+3 11 [2d6=4, 4]

• Options
    Kaz's attack connected with the Weedle, giving him just a brief moment of self satisfaction before the Caterpie turned his attention back to the Abra. The Abra tried to shift out of the way of the oncoming tackle, rushing it's movements to try and pull back from the attack he just landed while avoiding the oncoming attack.

Geth, roll 2d6+3 for Defending

Defending:
    2d6+3 9 [2d6=4, 2]

• Options
    The Weedle that was attacked by everyone rushes forward to hit Yuuto in the face.

Geth roll 2d6+3 for Basic Attack on Yuuto

Basic Attack:
    2d6+3 13 [2d6=5, 5]

• Options
    As Yuuto hit the ground, he snorted with annoyance as he turned to look at the Weedle he had missed. As the Weedle charged him, Yuuto quickly tried to spring back to avoid that blow.

Geth roll 2d6+3 for Defending Against Weedle

Defending Against Weedle:
    2d6+3 14 [2d6=6, 5]

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Let me update this before I do like yesterday and waste all day on that stupid phalla.

Kaz's attacker continues it's assault on the Abra with another shot of Poison Strings

Geth roll 2d6+3 for Poison String on Kaz.

We'll use the first roll... not sure why that happened.

Combat Stat Block

Kaz- Stamina 11/12 Energy 7/10[/s]
    Caterpie 1- Stamina 8/8 Energy 4/7
    Weedle 1- Stamina 2/7 Energy 6/8
    Weedle 2- Stamina 7/7 Energy 2/8

Poison String:
    2d6+3 10 [2d6=2, 5]
    Poison String:
    2d6+3 9 [2d6=2, 4]

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    The Abra reels as another assault is sent his way. They needed to whittle down their opponents quickly, these attacks were getting a little too accurate.

Geth, roll 2d6+3 (save me robot jesus!)

(save me robot jesus!):
    2d6+3 11 [2d6=4, 4]

• Options
    The last Weedle tries to use his Poisonous Strings on the Ryhorn, hoping to slow down the Pokemon.

Geth roll 2d6+3 vs Haibisukasu's Defense

vs Haibisukasu's Defense:
    2d6+3 6 [2d6=1, 2]

• Options
    Geth roll 2d6+3 for face tanking

face tanking:
    2d6+3 12 [2d6=4, 5]

• Options
    edited August 2016
    The Weedle's strings go wide and land on the ground as Haibi just calmly walks out of the way, not concerned with little Bug or his attack at all.

Top of the turn order

Combat Stat Block

Kaz- Stamina 11/12 Energy 7/10[/s]
    Weedle 1- Stamina 2/7 Energy 6/8
    Weedle 3- Stamina 7/7 Energy 5/8

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    Kaz was started to get annoyed with the constant attacks. He wound up an attack to send at the Weedle they had been focusing on. If they took one down, they could pick them off one by one and put an end to this.

Geth, roll 2d6+2 for Attack Weedle 1

Attack Weedle 1:
    2d6+2 11 [2d6=3, 6]

• Options

Geth roll 2d6+5 for Brave Bird against Weedle 3

A sudden rush of wind and an encouraging wink are all Kaz sees as the Farfetch'd flies by to battle her own Weedle!

Brave Bird against Weedle 3:
    2d6+5 13 [2d6=3, 5]

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Kaz jumps up and lands on the injured Weedle, hurting the Bug just a bit more, but it seems there is still some fight in him...

Kumo, who has been waiting for his opening, finally catches one of the Weedles with it's back to him. With a rush of wind that seems to come from nowhere, the Farfetch'd flies across the Grove. For a second, it looks like the Pokemon missed it's target, but suddenly one of the Weedle falls down. It glows slightly before it's physical form fades and its raw fae energy drifts away on the wind...

Nice to see you, @Endless_Serpents. I gave Kumo 3 Energy as though it used Wait last round.

Geth roll 2d6+3 for Weedle 1 Defense
    Geth roll 2d6+3 for Weedle 3 defense

Combat Stat Block

Kaz- Stamina 11/12 Energy 8/10[/s]
    Kumo- Stamina 7/10 Energy 4/8
    Weedle 1- Stamina 1/7 Energy 6/8
    Weedle 3- Stamina 0/7 Energy 5/8

Weedle 1 Defense:
    2d6+3 9 [2d6=5, 1]
    Weedle 3 defense:
    2d6+3 10 [2d6=2, 5]

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Growling, Haibisukasu will turn around and swat at the weedle she just dodged.

Sorry, got a lot busy at work, forgot where we were on this.

Wow Geth, really? Also, I think Haibi should have 1 energy left after this attack?

Geth roll 2d6+5 for Metal Claw (STAB) vs Weedle 2

Metal Claw (STAB) vs Weedle 2:
    2d6+5 7 [2d6=1, 1]

Brody on

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Good to be back, thank you for filling in the blank. I might lose signal soon but hopefully I'll be around to finish the battle.

Arkose makes a small gesture as the bug fades from the material world.

"Great work partner." he says meekly. He takes a sharp breath, then picks up a stone from the ground. I'm making so many bad decisions today, he thinks.

Geth, roll 2d6 for Thowing a rock at Caterpie 1.

Thowing a rock at Caterpie 1:
    2d6 8 [2d6=4, 4]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Haibi's claw cuts into the ground as the bug jumps up and away from the Ryhorn.

Arkose's rock hits the side of the little green caterpillar. The Caterpie looks over at the Scholar and his Farfetch'd, trying to decide how he wanted to deal with them.
    Geth roll 2d6+3 for Weedle 2's Defense
    Geth roll 2d6+3 for Caterpie Defense

Weedle 2's Defense:
    2d6+3 10 [2d6=5, 2]
    Caterpie Defense:
    2d6+3 6 [2d6=2, 1]

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    @Kirindal You are the last to make a move. When you got a moment.

• Options
    I won't be in range for a while. Please have my characters participate simply until the fight is over, then they can stay to tidy up or something. When I'm back I'll just have them catch up.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    I'm very cross as I'm texting from a speedboat right now. Come on guys. I wanted to fight an onyx under the command of Brock's distant ancestor! Let's clear out these bugs and then be the best, like no one ever was.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    I think we're waiting on @Kirindal who looks to be inactive for a couple weeks now

• Options
    Shucks, it's simply unfortunate as I'm not sure how often I can get on after tomorrow night.

• Options
    [I'm sorry for making everyone wait on me. Recovery from PAX West made the forum slip from my mind.]

"Let's go, Yuuto! Kaz has him nicely lined up! Finish him!"

Yuuto growled in acknowledgment to Kana's comment and rushed forward at the Weedle, tucking his head down to shoulder rush the bug.

Geth roll 2d6+3 for Basic Attack against Weedle 1

Basic Attack against Weedle 1:
    2d6+3 8 [2d6=3, 2]

• Options
    Tell me about it, this year was my first PAX, and we ended up having to go home early the first day because it was super overwhelming.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    The Weedle doesn't get out of the way in time and is hit hard by the shoulder rush. Like the other Weedle, it fades into fae energy and floats away.

Geth roll 2d6+3 for Weedle 1 Defense

Weedle 1 Defense:
    2d6+3 7 [2d6=1, 3]

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    Seeing that he was going to have to deal with both a Trainer and his Pokemon, the Caterpie decided to tackle Kumo. Then it will see how tough that Trainer is without his partner!

Geth roll 2d6+3 against Kumo's Defense

Combat Stat Block

Kaz- Stamina 11/12 Energy 8/10[/s]
    Yuuto- Stamina 8/10 Energy 5/8
    Kumo- Stamina 7/10 Energy 4/8
    Caterpie 1- Stamina 7/8 Energy 4/7
    Weedle 1- Stamina 0/7 Energy 6/8
    Weedle 3- Stamina 0/7 Energy 5/8

against Kumo's Defense:
    2d6+3 12 [2d6=6, 3]

• Options
    I think Endless was saying he is going to be out of range for now.

• Options
    The Weedle fires a shot of poisonous string at Haibi, who seems to be his biggest threat.

Geth roll 2d6+3 vs. Haibi's Defense
    If the attacking Pokemon's Action Roll is 5+ over the defending Pokemon's Reaction Roll then the defending Pokemon is Poisoned (Pokemon loses 1 Stamina each turn.)

vs. Haibi's Defense:
    2d6+3 8 [2d6=1, 4]

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Haibi narrowly dodges the poison sting, glaring at the uppity Weedle.

Geth roll 2d6+3 for Defense.

Defense:
    2d6+3 9 [2d6=3, 3]

Brody on

• Options
    edited September 2016
    I'll roll Kumo's Defense since I forgot that was Endless's Mon.

Then it's top of the battle charts, folks!
    Geth roll 2d6+4

2d6+4 12 [2d6=5, 3]

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    Seeing that Haibi was a little slow on the dodge, Nadare calls for her to wait a round, and gather her energy.