As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diabotical] 2GD's fully modable, cosmetic-driven AFPS, now officially is real

Page-Page- Registered User regular
edited August 2016 in Games and Technology
He's been talking about it in one form or another for what feels like a decade now, but today it's officially on kickstarter to drum up the last bit of funds, has a release date and a price tag, and even official gameplay trailers.

You can see it all here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4T_gY1er5I

I won't get exhaustive with the history as the kickstarter pitch does a pretty good job. Suffice it to say that 2GD is taking his longstanding love for and experience with Quake and melding it with the design and marketing strategies he's picked up working with Twitch.tv, Valve, and Stunlock Studios, amongst others.

That means you get a colourful Arena FPS with mechanics in the Quake mould--heavy emphasis on advanced movement and core weapons, with gameplay centred on pickups and power-ups. No load-outs, no pay2win meta mechanics of any sort. And while the initial design documents for Diabotical did include varying robot chassis with different abilities (basically what Quake Champions is going to be), they dropped that a while back.

There are also cosmetics. Robot hats. You can dress your little egg-bot up how you like, with whatever colour scheme you want. And the goal is to also have an in-game shop of some sort so players can trade and sell their own designs. Think DotA 2.

And there's real-time map making. Not only real-time map making, but co-op real-time map making. You can jump right in and start altering the terrain in any way, with other people, then save and swap the results.

It goes deeper, because you can also mod the games for your maps. Custom game modes, custom weapons, custom physics, and then upload and play those with others. They want something akin to old Blizzard custom maps systems.

To help keep things active and fun, there will be full-featured matchmaking systems from launch, on top of custom (and dedicated) servers. 2GD will also be borrowing the automated tournament system he designed for Stunlock's Bloodline Champions. You can join automatic tournament brackets and run through to the end, and there will be prizes.

It will launch with all the expected modes. Deathmatch, TDM, Duel (1v1), Clan Arena, CTF, instagib, even Defrag (pure non-combat racing), as well as some new game modes. And, of course, whatever other modes the users come up with.

All this for the low initial kickstarter buy-in price of £7, which includes access to the closed beta. On release, they're aiming for between £10-15.

It's on Steam, is a PC exclusive, etc.

Release date set for summer 2017.

If you pay £300 you get beta access, beta access to Bloodline Champions 2, and also get to play some games with Sing Sing and TLO. Can't beat that?

---

Anyways, I'm excited enough that this may be my first ever kickstarter pledge. Quake Champions is what it is, and has a chance to be good (even great), but I think so does this. Of all the AFPS that have tried and failed (a lot fewer than you may think) recently, it's always been Diabotical (and, to a much lesser extent, Reflex) that had a real, honest chance of succeeding. Designers doing it only because they want to, and with enough connections and know-how that they can pull off the marketing needed to get it going, and erect the competitive structure to keep it going.
Bonus Stretch Goal: $1,000,000 - I, James '2GD' Harding will get a tattoo of Gabe Newell dressed as a shitty wizard riding the donkey courier with an icey frog perched upon the donkey's head. Below the tagline 'bUrself'. Tattoo location, up for a vote. left or right buttock.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
stream
Page- on