As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Discovering [Star Trek] on Netflix

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Every TV show is a spinoff from Happy Days, by some degree of separation.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Every TV show is a spinoff from Happy Days, by some degree of separation.

No its St Elsewhere.

Obviously!

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I'm waiting for John Munch to finally cross-over into Star Trek. Maybe they could thaw him out from cryosleep or something. I don't consider the BSG thing to be a valid connection.

Edit: Discovery needs to go back in time and team up with Much to solve a murder.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I'm waiting for John Munch to finally cross-over into Star Trek. Maybe they could thaw him out from cryosleep or something. I don't consider the BSG thing to be a valid connection.

Edit: Discovery needs to go back in time and team up with Much to solve a murder.

Where Jessica Fletcher finally answers for her crimes.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    http://www.thewrap.com/star-trek-discovery-premiere-delayed-until-may-2017/
    “Bringing ‘Star Trek’ back to television carries a responsibility and mission: to connect fans and newcomers alike to the series that has fed our imaginations since childhood,” executive producers Alex Kurtzman and Bryan Fuller said.

“We aim to dream big and deliver, and that means making sure the demands of physical and post-production for a show that takes place entirely in space, and the need to meet an air date, don’t result in compromised quality,” they continued. “Before heading into production, we evaluated these realities with our partners at CBS and they agreed: ‘Star Trek’ deserves the very best, and these extra few months will help us achieve a vision we can all be proud of.”
    Not really surprising, considering they haven't even announced casting yet.

• Options
    I really REALLY hope they can find shakespearean trained actors. Star Trek need this to be whole again.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edit: Trek will be on Netflix immediately when it airs.

I thought that wasn't the case in the US

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    edit: Trek will be on Netflix immediately when it airs.

I thought that wasn't the case in the US

True, it will be everywhere else.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Which means you can expect it to be uploaded to the usual places within half an hour.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Netflix Japan added all the Star Trek movies, except for Undiscovered Country, oddly enough.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »
    Netflix Japan added all the Star Trek movies, except for Undiscovered Country, oddly enough.

The Praxis -> Chernobyl allegory, maybe?

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

Chernobyl was russia. You're maybe thinking Fukishima.

Could also just be an error, or cacheing.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

Depends on whose point of view, the Japanese viewer might be thinking Fukishima but the writers would have been thinking Chernobyl (assuming the moon blowing up was meant to invoke that).

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Depends on whose point of view, the Japanese viewer might be thinking Fukishima but the writers would have been thinking Chernobyl (assuming the moon blowing up was meant to invoke that).

It definitely was. Undiscovered Country was an end-of-the-Cold-War allegory, and Praxis exploding was a direct reference to Chernobyl. That disaster was just five years old, so it was very fresh in everyone's minds, and the direct political and social consequences were still unfolding and being dealt with at that time.

(and BTW Chernobyl is in Ukraine, not Russia)

Also the movie is from 1991, so how the Japanese might mistake anything in it for a reference to something that happened in 2011 is beyond me.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Richy wrote: »

It definitely was. Undiscovered Country was an end-of-the-Cold-War allegory, and Praxis exploding was a direct reference to Chernobyl. That disaster was just five years old, so it was very fresh in everyone's minds, and the direct political and social consequences were still unfolding and being dealt with at that time.

Also the movie is from 1991, so how the Japanese might mistake anything in it for a reference to something that happened in 2011 is beyond me.

The Japanese might have a slightly different response to an energy source exploding, killing people and rendering a planet uninhabitable, than someone who is from a country that didn't have a major nuclear disaster five years ago. You hit the right emotional buttons and people aren't going to consider the date the movie was made.

• Options

I was more talking about as to why undiscovered country wasn't available on Netflix Japan today. I know that the undiscovered country was a direct cold war movie, and I know that praxis was supposed to be Chernobyl, I just don't see how that would be relevant at all to the fact that Undiscovered Country was the only movie not released on Netflix Japan.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

Ukraine was a part of Russia at the time of the disaster and separated from the union only a few months before The Undiscovered Country came out.

• Options
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular

Looks like it was just a weird delay. They finally added it.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I have about six episodes of DS9 left, never thought TNG would be replaced as my favorite series!

Also, about Beyond, I feel like I need to rewatch it. All of my friends said it was the best thing since sliced bread but I came out disappointed. It was definitely better than Into Darkness, but I feel like everything about it was pretty bland. Especially Idris Elba! They completely wasted him on such a generic villain.

Jaylah was the best though.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I think it gets the benefit from very, very low expectations. Like, "wow, this... this doesn't suck, and actually feels like Trek!"

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It does suffer from the fact that it's the fifth revenge plot in a row.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I think it gets the benefit from very, very low expectations. Like, "wow, this... this doesn't suck, and actually feels like Trek!"

I disagree. At least in as much as that my positive feelings towards Beyond have absolutely nothing to do with low expectations whatsoever. I expected good things based on comments from Simon Pegg throughout production, and it matched my expectations. I never expected it to amaze me, and it did not, but it was a solid 3 star Trek film and that was what I wanted from it. My wife and I are both lifelong Trek fans, since before TNG even existed, and it was enjoyable and satisfying for both of us. Heck, she saw it twice in the first 3 days in theaters.

That said, neither of us hated ST '09 or Into Darkness. My wife hated the destruction of Vulcan, and we both had issues with some of the callbacks from Into Darkness, but not to an extent that prevented us from enjoying either.

• Options
    oh and while we're talking about re-watching Beyond, it will be available on Digital on October 4, and on blu-ray November 1.

• Options
    Beyond is in 'worth a rental' land, right?

• Options

Definitely.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Absolutely. Maybe even worth 'purchase' depending on how much you like the banter.

sig.gif
  • Options
    IMO Beyond was worth seeing in theaters too. It's the first of the reboot movies that managed to recapture some of what I love about Star Trek.

• Options
    Beyond was easily the best Star Trek movie since First Contact.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Beyond was easily the best Star Trek movie since First Contact.

That's not exactly a high bar.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Good to hear. Rental it is, though I doubt I'll buy it. I haven't liked any of the reboots, and I've re-watched them a couple times to see if they'd grow on me, and they did, but like a particularly painful rash.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I think beyond is great and I'm extremely excited to add it to my blu ray collection.

so there!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Good to hear. Rental it is, though I doubt I'll buy it. I haven't liked any of the reboots, and I've re-watched them a couple times to see if they'd grow on me, and they did, but like a particularly painful rash.

I think I said this in the last thread but when I re-watched ST09 and STID before Beyond came out, I had very mixed feelings. I remembered ST09 being way better than STID, but after re-watching, if you took out the last 20 minutes of STID I think I'd like it better than ST09. Those last 20 minutes really ruin it though.

I'll be interested to see how much I still like beyond on the 2nd and 3rd viewing.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I've liked the new ones when they've actually embraced the changes they've made in the timeline.
    Like Spock being part of an endangered species. Or the fact that this Kirk joined Starfleet on a dare, rather than any deeply-held belief in their mission.
    When they decide to just take something from the originals and do it again with more explosions and a bigger FX budget (KHAAAAAAN), it falls flat.
    Like, I've read that in some tie-in comics:
    They're introducing the Borg.
    To the Kirk-era new timeline.
    The one positive to that is it I doubt it'll be any kind of canon, as if they do decide to add them to the movies, I doubt they'll want their first appearance to have been in a comic, so they'll ignore that.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    yea the nice thing about the reboot movies is that they are a "sideshow" to the prime universe.

• Options

I think I said this in the last thread but when I re-watched ST09 and STID before Beyond came out, I had very mixed feelings. I remembered ST09 being way better than STID, but after re-watching, if you took out the last 20 minutes of STID I think I'd like it better than ST09. Those last 20 minutes really ruin it though.

I'll be interested to see how much I still like beyond on the 2nd and 3rd viewing.

ID hurt the second time through because the fridge logic punches you in the face right off the bat. ST09 was better off since it was more constrained by its origin story elements (all the character introductions and whatnots).

• Options
    yea the nice thing about the reboot movies is that they are a "sideshow" to the prime universe.

I wouldn't say that, the movie right now are the Trek "prime time" while the Prime universe is reduced to the tv status, and EU. Abrams Trek is new the face for Trek.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    re-watching Elementary Dear Data.
    Turns out Picard does swear, but only in French.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc_cGueuZoA

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    So, that Axanar lawsuit isn't over. In fact it seems to be heating up. It turns out CBS doesn't give 2 shit about what a couple of their directors said to a bunch of reporters and are going forward this the whole thing. I can't say it surprises me, though. Based on what we are hearing from press releases, Axanar takes place at the same time as Discovery. It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if there was a boardroom meeting that went something like this.

>Did you guys see that Axanar fan film? That's a really good idea for a show.
    >We should take those ideas and make a new series out of it.
    >What about the millions of dollars the Axanar people raised?
    >You mean the millions of dollars we are going to sue them for?

• Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Like Spock being part of an endangered species.

I thought this and the Romulus stuff didn't make sense. I mean, The Romulans have an interstellar empire, and the Vulcans have been a spacefaring civilization for centuries and they are both almost completely annihilated from losing their home worlds? Granted, it would be a blow, but cutting them down to endangered... doesn't seem likely.

This discussion has been closed.