As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for mobile game suggestions (to play)

archaic0archaic0 Registered User regular
edited August 2016 in Games and Technology
I used to be much more active as a gamer, but these days I find myself playing 1 or 2 PC games per year (no multi-player generally) and enjoy chewing on a mobile game or two per year. I've taken a few years off of both but am looking for some new mobile games now and I'm not having a lot of luck. I'm hoping this community can point me in the right direction.

My problem is that it seems that every mobile game now uses the "tap to collect" model and that is INSANELY frustrating to me. Even a beloved property from days of old for me, Sim City, does this! I expected to build a city and let it grow like I have always done on PC games, and I'm pretty sure I did on an old mobile version too. My job as a player would be to focus on building, planning, and responding to feedback. But instead, I have to tap to build a building, then tap to harvest the building every few minutes in order to get the spoils of said building. That's not a game, that's a job. By the time I made it to a city of any substantial size I'm tapping on collection bubbles for minutes at a time as the ONLY game mechanic.

I'm not just a fan of simulation games, but that genre seems to be the easiest to pick up and put down as mobile tends to be - at least until now since the only way to get anything done seems to be to stay on constant tap to collect duty or else everything grinds to a halt.

If anyone knows how I can track down games that don't use this mechanic I would be grateful. At the moment I feel broken and have resorted to tower defense games because I know those aren't tap to collect. There's only so much defending one can do though.

Thanks in advance for any input!

archaic0 on

• Options
    I tried roller coaster tycoon recently as well and was met with the same mechanic. Build an ice cream stand, then every five minutes tap to collect or else you don't get any income from the stand. *sigh*

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I like any of the Kairosoft games. They are sim games, and many play sort of the same with a different skin, but I've liked all of them (except the arcade one, can't seem to make that one click with me). Mega Mall Story, Game Dev Story, the Spa one, Pocket Harvest, all were really fun.

If you're not opposed to Cartoon themed games Teen Titans was awesome fun and the Steven Universe RPG Attack the Light was great. Pocket Mortys is pretty fun too.

• Options
    At this point I'm open to almost any style of game really, although I'm not looking for multi-player (and not looking to go walk around the city in search of Pokemon - although I applaud that concept and wish I had thought of that!)

There was a space trading game I enjoyed for a while several years ago that I can't remember right now, but you gathered resources and built bigger ships and battled pirates as you explored new areas. That was one of the most involved games I've played mobile and probably wouldn't have enough time to invest these days for that again, but it was really entertaining.