As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Traffic ticket (bike)

OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
A few weeks ago, a motorcycle cop gave me a ticket for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign while on a bicycle. Pretty much true; it was a low traffic T intersection going with the flow of traffic on the intersection side, and I was in the habit of slowing down (or just not accelerating) enough to see that there were no cars coming or turning and then just going straight through. The citation describes my vehicle as a bicycle, but the courtesy notice I received today makes no mention of that, and the violation code (San Diego, 22450A) isn't bicycle specific, either. The bail is $239, and the traffic school option is $291. That sucks, but I'm also worried that they're going to put it on my driving record, which apparently in San Diego is up to the discretion of the officer or the court.

The options on the courtesy notice are pay ticket and accept a conviction, pay for and attend traffic school, or show up and plead not guilty. I hear this cop pulled over and cited one of my former coworkers and at least two other people that same day, so I assume there's little chance he'll forfeit his bounty by not showing up. Should I just take the traffic school option, plead not guilty and beg for leniency, or is there another option? Thanks for any advice.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

That... Is a very specific web URL...

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    BouwsT wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

That... Is a very specific web URL...

But mine was a stop sign!

But good to know. It hadn't really occurred to me that the judge and the cop might not be in cahoots. And it seems like there's no downside to showing up, other than having to take time off work. It seems like there's a good chance I might be able to just pay the lower bail amount and not have it go on my driving record, plus there's a bonus chance that the judge might be sympathetic.

• Options
    It's a pretty poops ticket. I don't even know if my current location has a law on the books allowing for rolling stop bicycles at empty intersections or not. Maybe the judge will agree. Just show up and politely contest. Worst case scenario you pay about the same amount of money and are out half a day of time.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Also, keep in mind you are technically a vehicle when you bike on the road! Its hard to remember, especially if you only bike recreationally and in suburban areas where its not common.

Depending on your area biking on sidewalks may be totally legal and cause you to be treated as a pedestrian legally, so its worth looking into if you bike a lot.

• Options
    I mean, I've always known you're supposed to stop just like in a car, although I've never seen anyone do it at empty T intersections. On the return trip that day I tried stopping at all the signs, even the empty ones, and it felt completely ridiculous. I gave up bike commuting the next day. I'd been doing it for 15 years because I felt I should, but I never really enjoyed it and I'm not $239 dedicated to it at all.

Some of the sidewalks on the route were super wide, like 8 feet, and I'd usually ride on them to go against the flow of traffic. But most of the route was through a residential area where the sidewalk is narrow, crossed a bunch of driveways and went up and down, plus it was in plain old bad shape. In fact the city government was on a kick to get bicyclists in the road, repaving and painting the bike logo right in the middle of the lane to tell them that's where they should ride. I kind of never understood the bike-right-in-the-middle-of-the-lane theory, although I've seen people advocate it online. It seems absurdly militant in that I'd be holding up traffic for a 2 mile stretch right in the morning and evening commutes. I feel like someone would shoot me sooner or later.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Biking is all a matter of context. In those high traffic situations non-legally you either:
    -shouldn't be biking on the road at all
    -should only be in specified bike lanes
    -should remain on low population roads wherever possible
    -bike on sidewalks as a pedestrial (while ceding the sidewalk to walkers wherever you encounter them).

Legally, it depends on your area but the center-of-lane is the legal suggestion in Florida whenever there isn't a bike lane. The reason is usually to encourage passing to only happen by full changing lanes as "partial" passing a bike with a car is dangerous to everyone involved and leads to most vehicular accidents against bikes.

My father in law commutes 45 minutes through dense urban traffic, and has some nasty injuries from doing it. He does it for exercise, but you really have to plan your route and be aware of context in your city and environment.

• Options
    Well, the ticketed incident was a low traffic situation. I don't feel there was any risk of collision as I had good sighting, no cars, bikes or pedestrians in the vicinity, and only the one perpendicular lane in the intersection. By this point I had already optimized my route to avoid dangerous left turns, keep on the right side of the streets, stay off the high traffic roads, etc. Just hadn't taken motorcycle cops jumping out of the bushes into consideration, oh well.

I can see the center-of-lane argument if there's a passing lane available, but it seems kind of non-ideal when there's only two lanes with a double yellow line in between. Cars would be stuck moseying at a sedate 15 mph or so.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    A question I feel like a judge would ask:
    If there was such good sighting, why didn't you see the police officer? Why couldn't that have been another vehicle that didn't see you either?
    Guilty! $400 fine for wasting the court's time!

Ok, that's more than a question, it turned into a short soliloquy.

• Options
    Well, the cop was on a motorcycle about 150 feet up the wrong side of the intersecting street (meaning, the side closer to me), perched to spot wrongdoers like me. It's not like I cut him off when he was about to make the turn.

I am anxious about what happens if I show up and the judge is a jerk about it, but from asking around apparently throwing on additional fines for wasting the court's time isn't a thing that happens if you show up, speak politely and not be, like, stuffing food in your mouth while you're talking.

• Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    My only suggestion would be to show up in court and be polite as you have already mentioned. During my limited time in the US, I always showed up for court and politely contested: "Your honor, I unintentionally broke the law and I am remorseful. I have learned my lesson and will be more careful in the future." IIRC, it worked 4 out of 5 times. Maybe I was just lucky.

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Well, the cop was on a motorcycle about 150 feet up the wrong side of the intersecting street (meaning, the side closer to me), perched to spot wrongdoers like me. It's not like I cut him off when he was about to make the turn.

I am anxious about what happens if I show up and the judge is a jerk about it, but from asking around apparently throwing on additional fines for wasting the court's time isn't a thing that happens if you show up, speak politely and not be, like, stuffing food in your mouth while you're talking.

The cop might be stern, but it's not like they're going to have you tossed into debtor's prison for having the audacity to plead not guilty. Be polite, don't lie. Worst case scenario you pay your fine.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Basar wrote: »
    My only suggestion would be to show up in court and be polite as you have already mentioned. During my limited time in the US, I always showed up for court and politely contested: "Your honor, I unintentionally broke the law and I am remorseful. I have learned my lesson and will be more careful in the future." IIRC, it worked 4 out of 5 times. Maybe I was just lucky.

From friends I know that have gone to court for tickets something similar to what you did usually works.

Dress nice, be on time, be polite, tell the truth.

Do those and most of the time a judge will reduce your fine, and worst case is you have to pay the full amount. They aren't going to increase your ticket.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

Limited time in the US and 5 tickets?!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

That's a bit much. I average 1 ticket a year in The DC area. And I fight them all. There is no reason not too and I get out of half of the tickets for various reasons. Or plea them down to something else.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    bicycles are considered vehicles in cali and any car rule applies to them. you technically can't run a stop sign just because you are on a bike.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    bicycles are considered vehicles in cali and any car rule applies to them. you technically can't run a stop sign just because you are on a bike.

Some counties also started passing local laws about what coming to a complete stop is for cyclists as well. Back home they were trying to define it as stopping the motion of the wheels and putting at least one foot on the ground.

If you slowed down and checked the intersection, say that as politely as you can. Lots of no/yes sir or ma'am. You're also concerned it could impact your drivers license, so it may be worthwhile to go for that reason alone.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Come on, 5 in 7 years is not so bad.

From 2000 to 2007, 2 for speeding, one for a rolling stop violation and 2 at once for expired inspection (by 2 days) and disturbing the public through excessive noise or something (listening to Alkaline Trio too loud). My memory is not that great but I think I only paid one of the speeding tickets. All the rest were dismissed in court. Maybe my use of "limited time" was not fitting.

Basar on
    i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Yes, 5 in 7 years is bad.
    Really, really bad. I've got 4 moving violations in...26 years? And it ain't for lack of trying.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    chromdom wrote: »
    Really, really bad. I've got 4 moving violations in...26 years? And it ain't for lack of trying.

Nevermind. I guess you are a better and more careful driver than I am. Good for you.

Basar on

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    If anything, 7 years is a limited time now? I'm all for things that make me feel less old but that might be a bit far heh

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    mts wrote: »

Some counties also started passing local laws about what coming to a complete stop is for cyclists as well. Back home they were trying to define it as stopping the motion of the wheels and putting at least one foot on the ground.

If you slowed down and checked the intersection, say that as politely as you can. Lots of no/yes sir or ma'am. You're also concerned it could impact your drivers license, so it may be worthwhile to go for that reason alone.

Refer to the judge as 'Your Honor'.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

It's partly luck. I drive em like I stole em, and get mayyyybe one every three years. Meanwhile my ex generally obeys the speed limit and all posted signs and somehow got like four in three years. I was with her for one, she was only going ten over on the interstate and constantly being passed. Still, ticket. Just bad luck.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

There are a whole bunch of factors other than the quality of driving that goes into getting tickets, and he did say that only three of them were actually moving violations.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    mcdermott wrote: »

It's partly luck. I drive em like I stole em, and get mayyyybe one every three years. Meanwhile my ex generally obeys the speed limit and all posted signs and somehow got like four in three years. I was with her for one, she was only going ten over on the interstate and constantly being passed. Still, ticket. Just bad luck.

Ya, my dumbest one ( least in court even judge just looked at what the charge was and looked at me and said " ok dismissed" ) was for "changing lanes too quickly after an intersection" when even the ticket itself mentions I was almost a kilometer from said intersection, and that I signalled/shoulder checked and everything. Was back in the quota era's.

edit: also it was 10 at night and the only 2 cars on the entire highway were me and the cop pulling me over.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Ya, my dumbest one ( least in court even judge just looked at what the charge was and looked at me and said " ok dismissed" ) was for "changing lanes too quickly after an intersection" when even the ticket itself mentions I was almost a kilometer from said intersection, and that I signalled/shoulder checked and everything. Was back in the quota era's.

edit: also it was 10 at night and the only 2 cars on the entire highway were me and the cop pulling me over.

My only actual got-pulled-over ticket was as a passenger. We go over a hill in my friend's shitty old white Civic and get pulled over. Cop walks up to my window and starts yelling at me. I look up at him in confusion and he goes, "Do you have any idea how fucking dangerous joyriding is?"

I am sitting there with lap full of unwrapped, half-eaten taco bell and just staring at him in disbelief. He still wrote me a ticket. I'm guessing he saw someone else do it, lost them over the hill, and was so wrapped up in his outrage that he had no way to back out when he realized how unlikely it was I did that.

I've also been pulled over for going 50 in a 30 zone. Made some sheepish comment about how I got distracted by my dance music and she told me to be careful, that she knew cops liked to camp that road, and let me go. So uh, it's good to be a white 20-something driving a family sedan.

admanb on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular

Going 10 over the speed limit is still speeding and against the law.
    Yes, everyone else was also breaking the law. They just didn't get caught.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm getting old. First thing I thought when I saw "only going 10 over the speed limit" was "slow down! What's the rush??"

Anyways, I think your best bet, as many others have said is to show up at court, dressed nice, be polite and humble. Most of the time you'll get out of it because of that or the cop didn't show.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Okay, went to court today, but apparently it's just the arraignment and since I pleaded not guilty I have the actual hearing in a month plus change. On the bright side, since I showed up and asked, the judge corrected the citation to properly note that I was on a bicycle and not in a car, so guilty or not it won't go on my record, and the maximum fine will be $100 and not $239. So yay for that.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    My only actual got-pulled-over ticket was as a passenger. We go over a hill in my friend's shitty old white Civic and get pulled over. Cop walks up to my window and starts yelling at me. I look up at him in confusion and he goes, "Do you have any idea how fucking dangerous joyriding is?"

I am sitting there with lap full of unwrapped, half-eaten taco bell and just staring at him in disbelief. He still wrote me a ticket. I'm guessing he saw someone else do it, lost them over the hill, and was so wrapped up in his outrage that he had no way to back out when he realized how unlikely it was I did that.
    @admanb Did you end up paying that ticket? I'm curious what the end result was.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »

@admanb Did you end up paying that ticket? I'm curious what the end result was.

I did. I should've fought it as I was a poor college student at the time, but I was also a dumb college student. So my hearing would've been set after I went back to Minnesota for school and instead of requesting an accelerated hearing I... didn't do that. Instead I just contested it with a written statement, which it turns out is not that effective.

• Options
    Update: Showed up for my court appearance, the officer didn't, case dismissed. Drinks are on me!

This discussion has been closed.