As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wait... Wait... Wait... The Last Guardian?

Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
I go to the PS4 store to poke around and i see this...

20160802_213727_zps9xhtlod6.jpg

Is this common knowledge? Have I been living under a rock? What the fuck? I thought this game was dead.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Yeah they made a big deal about it at e3 2015. I don't think I heard anything new about it at e3 this year though, and I don't think there's a real release date yet.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Yeah they made a big deal about it at e3 2015. I don't think I heard anything new about it at e3 this year though, and I don't think there's a real release date yet.

Release date was announced at this years E3; it's coming out October 25, 2016.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Well alrighty then

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2016
    Can't see it in that pic but it comes out Oct. 25.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    itshappening.jpg

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Time for some really awesome exciting music to celebrate this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RMDBqQDtT8

• Options
    I won't believe it until I'm playing a full version of it.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    What was the big deal about this game, its been a long time. I mean, I'm a sucker for a good JRPG (which means I haven't played one in over a decade) but what is the hook that made this game so appealing despite being delayed for like 3-4 years?

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    What was the big deal about this game, its been a long time. I mean, I'm a sucker for a good JRPG (which means I haven't played one in over a decade) but what is the hook that made this game so appealing despite being delayed for like 3-4 years?

it's made by the people who made Ico and Shadow of the Colossus

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    The studio's pedigree, basically. It's hard not to get excited about a game from the same folks who did both Ico and Shadow of the Colossus!

I prefer ordered this thing back when it was first announced, at an establishment which has since closed its doors. Farewell, five dollar deposit

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    That original trailer, was really, really great too.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

it's made by the people who made Ico and Shadow of the Colossus

Also it's an action/puzzle game, not a jrpg

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

May I suggest picking up Bravely Default or Bravely Second to scratch that classic JRPG itch? It's about as classic Final Fantasy as you can get without actually playing a copy of Final Fantasy 4.

• Options
    Bravely Default was amazing.

Bravely Second hasn't really gripped me.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    bravely default started off extremely high for me and then took the steepest dive possible

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I started Bravely Default and did not finish it.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    the back half of bravely default is the best part, gameplay and story wise

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    repostin this for old times' sake (I can't even remember how many years ago I made it)

3mRPkYN.png

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I really hope this game turns out to be good

I realize the odds of that are extremely low at this point, given its development history... but damn it it would be really nice

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I really hope this game turns out to be good

I realize the odds of that are extremely low at this point, given its development history... but damn it it would be really nice

I suspect the main criticisms is while it may be an evolution of ICO and SotC, parts of it will feel dated as other gameplay innovations happened around it.

But I don't think it will be bad.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think it will be hard for the game to be either better or worse than average. It'll be really hard for it to be exceptional at this point. It will probably be charming regardless.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah I don't feel like there's any way it could live up to people's expectations for it, it will probably be a pretty great game that suffers for not being the totally amazing game everyone hopes it will be.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I don't understand what it would fail to live up to though

People kinda don't know shit about it?

What could they possibly be building it up as that it will fail to deliver on

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I dunno, I feel like its been so long, and there's been so much silence that expectations have been largely tempered.

If it actually ships and its in my hands it'll already surpass my expectations of it.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Me and @SilverWind are buying a PS4 on October 25th

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Me and SilverWind are buying a PS4 on October 25th

Oh is there a sale on Bloodborne then???

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Didge tells me Bloodborne is pretty all right so I'll look into it

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SenorTacosSenorTacos Registered User regular
    I really hope they do a re-re-release of Ico and Shadow on the PS4.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    i don't think i'll be buying a PS4 any time soon so I'll have to play this at my friend's place, which is suiting because I only ever played Shadow of the Colossus on PS3, once, when i lived with him

i will make do but i am very excited nonetheless

SotC has one of the best scores I have ever heard in any medium and I think that's part of why the game sticks with me even though i only played through it once

like, jesus christ, i knew i was in for something when the PS3 menu played this when you select SoTC, but in context it's unbelievable

https://youtu.be/dVNcmGjNW6c

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I loved Ico and SotC. I don't have a PS4 though, nor do I know anybody with one so I guess I won't play The Last Guardian. It sure looks pretty though.

I wish that the remake of Ico and SotC had made it's way over to PC. I'd buy like thirty copies and send them to everyone I know.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    as someone who is not overly fond of previous team ico games I thought the e3 demos looked good

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Every time it's been brought up in the last couple of years there's been a lot of comments along the lines of "I've been looking forwards to this for years" "wow it looks really beautiful" "if the pet creature in the game dies I am going to be heartbroken" ertc. etc. etc. In the past I have seen many posters here be excited for news on the game.

What I hope is that their excitement was and is valid and the game is good.

Is that okay by you?

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Ugh, it's finally coming out and I don't have a ps4 to play it on. Which is kinda lame, because one of the reasons why u got a ps3 was so I could play this game.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    The development of this game has not really been that circuitous since it was restarted in 2012

Show an e3 demo 2.5 years after start, another e3 showing next year, release that fall 4 years after start isn't a crazy trajectory for a aaa game

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Sure but that's like saying Prey 2 has only been in development for 2 years.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Prey 2017 has indeed only been in development for about 3 years, and ffxv for about 4

Just cause you're working off the ruins of a cancelled project doesn't mean your new project is going to move any faster

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Didge tells me Bloodborne is pretty all right so I'll look into it

I think it might be one of my favorite games ever? The combat

Kinda crept up on me. I'm just a complete sucker for the faux- gothic funtime Halloween jam of Bloodborne's visual style though. May not be everyone's cup of tea.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular

Every time it's been brought up in the last couple of years there's been a lot of comments along the lines of "I've been looking forwards to this for years" "wow it looks really beautiful" "if the pet creature in the game dies I am going to be heartbroken" ertc. etc. etc. In the past I have seen many posters here be excited for news on the game.

What I hope is that their excitement was and is valid and the game is good.

Is that okay by you?

I get that but what are people expecting is what I'm not sure of? For it to look good and for it to be sad when the monster eats shit? Fair those things I bet are true. Puzzle gameplay or action? A story? Idk

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Do you really not understand why people may be excited about a release after so many years from the studio which released such a beloved game? Shadow of the Colossus is on the top ten list of a ridiculously large number of people.

• Options
    Of course I understand that. I'm saying I don't know what sort of experience this game is supposed to be at all, to the point that I have no clue what it is if be spending my sixty dollars on

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg