As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comcast confuses me

CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
I'm moving for grad school soon and I need to set up internet service. My building's wired for comcast, so I'm planning on sticking to that. My inclination is to just go with the cheapest option, $20/month for 10Mbps since I'll be the only person living in the apartment. Although I've got a laptop, desktop, and smartphone. I'd really only use one computer at a time, maybe with my phone.

But due to the nature of this program, I will be forced to take the occasional online course. And will probably have to download readings/assignments, and rely on Jstor (so downloading lots PDFs.) Maybe netflix.

Should I be okay with a basic internet plan, or do I need the next one up?

Also, routers. I know to make sure they're compatible with your internet provider, but otherwise, can I just buy the first decent looking modem with wifi on Amazon?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    10 mbps is fine

Routers can be used with any ISP

Modems you need to make sure are compatible and are compliant with whatever system they use (probably DOCSIS 3/3.1)

You can likely rent a modem from them, and maybe even a combo modem router, if you don't want to fuss with it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    10 mbps is fine

Routers can be used with any ISP

Modems you need to make sure are compatible and are compliant with whatever system they use (probably DOCSIS 3/3.1)

You can likely rent a modem from them, and maybe even a combo modem router, if you don't want to fuss with it.

Had Comcast at my last apartment, renting a modem is about $10 a month with them. I think I spent like $50-$60 (meaning half of what I would have spent renting one for a year) buying my own and never had a problem with it. Mine was a Motorola Arris 200 series, but I did have to get a router separately, looking at Amazon though, it looks like some of them do come as a combo router/modem.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Comcast's new gateways, the Arris XB3, actually have great coverage and both 2.4 and 5GHz bands. I don't love the idea of renting them, but if you don't want to fuss with your own equipment, they're a good option.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Cheap internet it is then. Awesome!

I'm probably going to buy a router/modem since it'll be way cheaper. I set up the modem in the last apartment I had, so I can probably do that again with minimal issues.

Thanks guys! I've been stuck with crappy internet for the last four years, so it's a huge relief to know I'm actually making the right decisions.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    http://www.buyacablemodem.com

They have listings of modems for all the big ISPs. I haven't bought from them, but the Comcast guy who installed our service recommended them for what it's worth.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    For what it's worth, 10mbs isn't great for Netflix, if you want to stream HD.

And you may want to check the monthly cap on that plan. Is that a thing in the US? It's certainly a thing in Canada.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    For what it's worth, 10mbs isn't great for Netflix, if you want to stream HD.
    And you may want to check the monthly cap on that plan. Is that a thing in the US? It's certainly a thing in Canada.

Also, keep in mind that any time they give you a speed quote the words "Up to" are always in front of it.
    Just saying that "10 mbps" is actually "up to 10 mbps", and there can be a fairly significant amount of variance there.

• Options
    I actually prefer slightly less than HD video. I dunno why, but HD makes me feel slightly sick & my eyes feel funny afterwards.

The next package would be 25 mpbs but costs a lot more per month & I'm not sure I want that.

• Options
    Creagan wrote: »
    I actually prefer slightly less than HD video. I dunno why, but HD makes me feel slightly sick & my eyes feel funny afterwards.

The next package would be 25 mpbs but costs a lot more per month & I'm not sure I want that.

OK, but check caps. You can be fine with 10mbs, but what is that is capped at 25gb/month?

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Comcast never caps that low, even in states where capping is being implemented. I think they're up to 300 GB at the lowest.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Comcast never caps that low, even in states where capping is being implemented. I think they're up to 300 GB at the lowest.

Eh. Outside of Nashville it was 200 GB for a brief period of time. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they tried it elsewhere.

• Options
    You jerks. The big oligarchy up here caps like a stingy old grandmother.

Luckily there are wholesale providers. But still. Ugh.

• Options
    It looks like the cap is a terabyte a month, which should be fine for me. And it's a terabyte a month for the next plan up too.

• Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    Creagan wrote: »
    It looks like the cap is a terabyte a month, which should be fine for me. And it's a terabyte a month for the next plan up too.

That's almost 10 days of nonstop downloading at full speed (if you really do get 10 mbps). You should be fine.

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Regardless if you get "up to" 10 mbit/sec or 50 mbit/sec from a cable service provider, you'll probably cap out at 2-5 mbit/sec during peak hours.

5 mbit/sec is fine for 1080 HD. If you're doing 4k you'll need 25 mbit/sec.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Obligatory:

- If you buy a modem, watch your bills like a hawk, at least for a while. Comcast is notorious for trying to slip modem rental charges back in for customers who own their modem. But...

- Buying a modem also removes the hassle of having to kill off the moronic public wifi connection that Comcast modem/router combos broadcast by default.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    143999 wrote: »
    Obligatory:

- If you buy a modem, watch your bills like a hawk, at least for a while. Comcast is notorious for trying to slip modem rental charges back in for customers who own their modem. But...

- Buying a modem also removes the hassle of having to kill off the moronic public wifi connection that Comcast modem/router combos broadcast by default.

Second this. They tried to slip a maintenance repair onto mine once when I first moved into my apartment (that was already hooked up with Comcast). When I went to set things up myself they weren't working despite me doing everything correctly. Turns out it was because of something they had done previously with the last tenant that borked things.

• Options
    Good to know. I'll check everything super carefully before paying.

And I like to warch videos at about one quality level below 1080 HD (watching HD makes me feel weird.) So this should work.

Thanks everybody!