As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] World. PS4 Beta on 12/9. Welcome new Hunters!

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    You can dodge out of charges by pressing Y while holding down X (easier than pressing B... just move your thumb over). At least, you could do this while the game was on PSP. Not sure on 3DS, but I think it controls the same.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Arch wrote: »
    So I was wondering it last night while fighting Hyper Malfestio but I chalked it up to stress and being tired but it looks like my R button is fucked.

I kept firing arrows before they were charged and then just firing off multiple arrows like I was spamming R. I thought I was just tired and my fingers were messing up....

But I just tried today and I can barely even get my character to run around the village. Tried hunting Teo with the alternate control scheme where X fires arrows and R aims, but I can't dodge out of charges at all, and obviously can't sprint anywhere.

I...dont know what to do. Does anyone know how to fix a DS?
    I had to do this once. It's stressful but not especially difficult, and it cost like $15 in parts and tools instead of the blanket $100 or so that Nintendo charges to fix approximately anything. Maybe I can find the tutorials I used again...

EDIT:
    Example of the part you need:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Left-Right-Shoulder-Button-Flex-Cable-Replacement-For-Nintendo-3DS-L-R-Switch-US-/251505561498?hash=item3a8ee64f9a:g:EAwAAOxyUylTTNaU

And here's a video tutorial:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9OcA3u4qRA

It would be largely trivial except the little spring always falls out of the plastic exterior button shell and then it takes a bunch of annoying finagling to get it back into place.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    So I was wondering it last night while fighting Hyper Malfestio but I chalked it up to stress and being tired but it looks like my R button is fucked.

I kept firing arrows before they were charged and then just firing off multiple arrows like I was spamming R. I thought I was just tired and my fingers were messing up....

But I just tried today and I can barely even get my character to run around the village. Tried hunting Teo with the alternate control scheme where X fires arrows and R aims, but I can't dodge out of charges at all, and obviously can't sprint anywhere.

I...dont know what to do. Does anyone know how to fix a DS?
    I had to do this once. It's stressful but not especially difficult, and it cost like $15 in parts and tools instead of the blanket $100 or so that Nintendo charges to fix approximately anything. Maybe I can find the tutorials I used again...

EDIT:
    Example of the part you need:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Left-Right-Shoulder-Button-Flex-Cable-Replacement-For-Nintendo-3DS-L-R-Switch-US-/251505561498?hash=item3a8ee64f9a:g:EAwAAOxyUylTTNaU

And here's a video tutorial:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9OcA3u4qRA

It would be largely trivial except the little spring always falls out of the plastic exterior button shell and then it takes a bunch of annoying finagling to get it back into place.

I am a radio technician and do repairs like this with portables with some regularity.

The DS is way easier than a lot of what I end up working on to fix. You'll be fine.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Tried out the Deviljho/Tigrex/Nargacuga hunt. Gave up with 15 minutes left on the timer and Deviljho still not dead.

I guess it's time to scrape together a crit set. Are there any standard recommendations for that, for Hunting Horns in particular?

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Finally got a room together for Nibelsnarf and got the scalp, but it turns out that lance is one that I can upgrade twice within HR5, so it's back to it in a couple days (a few days of hotel wifi coming up, won't be able to do more than offline gathering), but HR6 is right around the corner now.

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    also @arch asked me for some advice on longsword and I figured I'd post it here because other people could chime in and it would be on topic/maybe helpful to others

Longsword, like every weapon, is all about windows of commitment

It largely depends on what style you use; adept is the new hotness but i tried it and having spirit levels gated to doing the adept dodge+counter is something I hate.

Aerial I have no idea but i assume it's dependent like every other aerial style on vaulting correctly (or having convenient to vault off), but I can't speak to that because I haven't bothered trying it.

So for all intents and purposes i'll describe how guild/striker plays out.

Pros:
    • Straightforward and easy to pick up
    • Generous range on attacks both vertical and horizontal, good for chopping tails
    • Very all-round weapon, with relatively safe and low-commitment pokes available
    • Spirit combos have automatic mind's eye
    • Cool as shit, you're a fucking samurai
    • Hunter Arts are pretty decent
    • Can roll out of most combos midway as long as you aren't in the motion of actually slashing
    • KATANERS

Cons:
    • Sometimes long/awkward animations
    • Gotta land spirit combos to maintain good dps (gold/red at all times)
    • Spirit combos are not very controllable direction-wise once you start them (you can adjust a little but not by too much)
    • You trip up everyone who isn't superarmored through animations (gunners, sns/ds/hammer users probably hate you if you're near them)
    • Struggles against high mobility monsters who run marathons from one end of an area to another (but who doesn't)
    • Sometimes the wide slashes mean you don't hit parts you're aiming for, leading to potential bounces and getting rekt

So for longsword, you have a couple of basic moves.

X does a vertical slash where you step in, which has some animation delay on the step and swing; you can hit X again after the first slash to followup with another vertical slash that's slightly faster
    A is a forward poke which takes no time at all but also does less damage, relatively safe and can quickly be chained into/out of
    X after A gives you a short upward slash. nothing special about it.
    X+A together gives you the fade slash, which is where you do a long diagonal cut while stepping backwards. Great for positioning,
    This is where guild and striker are different: Guild has the added option of using X+A together in conjunction with left or ride for a sidestep fade slash instead of backstepping.

Common combos based off of these moves alone:
    X > X (for aiming at tails mostly)
    A > X or A > X+A (for when there's no time for anything else)
    X > A > X > X > A > X (can theoretically repeat forever but against monsters not bloody likely to happen. A > X > X links smoothly and any time you see A > X you can continue with another X slash if you wish to extend combo on a vulnerable monster. Roll > X leads straight to the upslash, so take note because if you attempt to follow up the upslash with A nothing will happen and you will come out of the animation slowly - roll to avoid this)
    X > X > A > X > X+A (pretty bread and butter long combo, add in directional stick on the X+A if you don't want to be where you are currently or backstepping)

Then you have the Spirit Combo, which is something you can only perform after you (mostly) fill the longsword gauge underneath sharpness. The spirit combo is 4 button presses of R total, and each press consumes a portion of the gauge.

R > R > R > R The first two slashes are single, wide slashes. The 3rd button press gets you a 3-hit combo, and the 4th press will get you the roundslash finisher. A couple of notes about this: only the 4th hit (the roundslash) actually needs to hit to raise or maintain your spirit level (the silver/gold/red glow on your blade). The main thing this means is that you can start the combo while you are a little ways away from the monster if it happened to just pass you and actually land the 4th hit before it potentially turns around and attacks again in order to raise your spirit level.
    If you start the spirit combo after a fade slash (X+A) instead of doing the first slash you will spin forward, upward slash and the rest of the spirit combo proceeds as normal. functionally the same, the spin in just allows you to immediately reengage after fade slashing if you happen to have gotten a flinch or something with it.
    If you have any spirit level, you can also mash R + X + A together to get a special unsheathing attack that chains into the spirit combo as normal. again, functionally identical to a normal spirit combo except it allows you to immediately start the spirit combo when sheathed.

Note that at any time during this as long as you have gauge you can immediately followup any normal attack with the first hit of the spirit combo (even if you don't have any gauge built) and if you have gauge, continue into the rest of the spirit combo. Also note that you do not need full gauge to pull off an entire spirit combo - I would say as long as you have 85% ish percent of the gauge filled you can pull off a full spirit combo safely. You can also immediately follow up the first and second R slashes with a fade slash in the event the monster is turning to face you and you need to stop spirit comboing (you can also roll).

So the tl;dr of this is that longsword is pretty flexible in its combos and you should feel free to experiment around with weaving attacks to find the level of aggression that suits you best. You do want to keep up sustained pressure on the monster so as to keep your gauge full, since filling it up increases your sharpness and allows you to get off spirit combos, which is where the big damage comes from. Landing spirit combos ramps up your spirit level, which increases your attack. So keep that spirit level and gauge high as much as you can!

Hunter Arts:

Sakura Slash is what i mainly use in conjunction with Absolute Readiness. I like instantly being able to gain spirit levels with Sakura Slash (handy for instantly getting to red after finishing a spirit combo that gets you to gold) and it does solid damage. The animation is pretty vulnerable since you backstep before dashing forward, so you do want to make sure you have a decent window before using it.

Critical Juncture: A parry skill, but it takes a long time to fill in comparison to Sakura Slash. still, if you have space, probably when using Striker, probably still a decent choice because getting the parry is basically a guaranteed flinch.

Unhinged Spirit:
    I haven't really bothered using this, ask someone else about it :P

Absolute Evasion/Readiness: I like these because of the mad iframes and readiness sharpens your weapon a bit when using it, which i like for sustained fights.

Orphane on
  • Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    "Struggles against high mobility monsters who run marathons from one end of an area to another (but who doesn't)"

It's a field where weapons that let you guard can excel: Lance, gunlance, chargeblade, to a lesser degree S&S and Great Sword. With the right blocking skill you always just let the enemy come back to you. Like a puppy, Nibelsnarf will tire of diving and playing in the sand like an idiot and eventually come back to you.

That strategy falls apart a little in team play because it may pursue allies who don't have the option to stop where they stand.

edited August 2016
    Note that you can lengthen the Spirit Slash combo by interspersing it with X slashes. You can do R -> X -> R -> X -> R -> R. This is useful for keeping up DPS in a slightly longer window. The X slashes also recover a bit of meter, so you can use it when you don't quite have enough meter to do a full R x4 combo.

Also, the Spirit Combo has free ESP (doesn't bounce).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    So I picked this up today and am already at village rank 2 and playing through the various weapon/style tutorials

It amazes me how much that change opens up other weapons for me. Like weapons I found boring have new fun options and weapons I had trouble using well now have an easy mode

fuck gendered marketing
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Note that you can lengthen the Spirit Slash combo by interspersing it with X slashes. You can do R -> X -> R -> X -> R -> R. This is useful for keeping up DPS in a slightly longer window. The X slashes also recover a bit of meter, so you can use it when you don't quite have enough meter to do a full R x4 combo.

Important to note that the basic adept spirit slash combo is R>R>X>R rather than R>R>R>R

That takes a bit to adjust to every time

fuck gendered marketing

I actually did not know this! Iirc the spirit levels were first introduced in p3rd? I don't know if aforementioned weaving was available from the start or if they added it in 4 or 4u, which I didn't play.
    Elldren wrote: »

Important to note that the basic adept spirit slash combo is R>R>X>R rather than R>R>R>R

That takes a bit to adjust to every time

That''s good to know. I'm still unlikely to use adept because i'm so used to guild, like i wrote in my original post but maybe i'll give it another chance sometime (and the arena seems to largely force you to use adept)

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    My biggest problem with Adept LS is that the adept combo takes long enough a lot of monster just smack you out of it when raging.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • jalokjalok Registered User regular
    Decided to get that grip someone linked on Amazon, had been using the dreamgear one, and it arrived yesterday. Feels a like it will be a lot more comfortable over long sessions; only played a couple hours at a time since getting it. Thanks to whomever it was that suggested it.

Speaking of comfort modifications, anyone who has switched their nub for the PSP? caps how does it affect closing the unit? I would like the better feel/control I hear it gives, but am concerned about portability and sleep mode.

jalok

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    jalok wrote: »
    Decided to get that grip someone linked on Amazon, had been using the dreamgear one, and it arrived yesterday. Feels a like it will be a lot more comfortable over long sessions; only played a couple hours at a time since getting it. Thanks to whomever it was that suggested it.

Speaking of comfort modifications, anyone who has switched their nub for the PSP? caps how does it affect closing the unit? I would like the better feel/control I hear it gives, but am concerned about portability and sleep mode.

jalok

I was the one that linked it and I've also swapped my nub out. It's the closest I can come to making the thing a controller. I went from not wanting to play more than an hour or two to not caring if I get into a marathon session.

It does not effect closing the system at all. I've had it switched for a week now and have had no issues with it.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    edited August 2016
    I'm going to need Amatsu kills soon. My mix depends heavily on a chain crit +4 gem plus I also need the upgrade parts for Toka.

edit: I also think I am going to go with halve stun instead of Mushromancer at this point. So Crit boost, Chain Crit, Antivirus, and Halve stun.

Seidkona on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I did the c stick swap as well, thanks to Entaru's advice. I'm still getting used to it. It almost feels TOO sensitive now, except when I'm trying to tilt the camera down (using the upper side of the c stick.) I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I went from, like, manhandling the nub to get the camera to move at all, to gently brushing it and swinging the camera around 360.

What is this I don't even.
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Hmmm. with my wonky R button I switched control schemes for my bow.

My muscle memory is not happy with the change.

Also I keep hitting Y to dodge out of a charge, and then Y again to dodge a second time which....just sheathed. Got splatted because of that last night.

Nyctgem has a VE Gold ticket trade.

Excellent.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »

Excellent.

Wow, gold tickets can get you some nice things, including all of the Fated Four's rare HR drops.

Sadly not a Phosgem though so if I'm going to finish Les Aportes I'm gonna have to do that the hard way.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Can't do Halve Stun as Silver SolMail comes with -2 stun on it so *sadtrombone*

Mushromancer it is.

Mushromancer it is.
    It's the better choice. Some say the ONLY choice.

SHROOMS!

You can think of Mushromancer as a minor DPS and armor boost with Nitroshrooms and Parashrooms (unless you are already taking demon/armor drugs to hunts).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Excellent.

Wow, gold tickets can get you some nice things, including all of the Fated Four's rare HR drops.

Sadly not a Phosgem though so if I'm going to finish Les Aportes I'm gonna have to do that the hard way.

Be glad you aren't running Arc S, that takes a Phosgem to max out each individual piece.

edited August 2016

Mushromancer it is.
    It's the better choice. Some say the ONLY choice.

SHROOMS!

You can think of Mushromancer as a minor DPS and armor boost with Nitroshrooms and Parashrooms (unless you are already taking demon/armor drugs to hunts).

I am not but would like to subscribe to your newsletter about it.

Edit: also dash juices. for. . um. . . more lance charging that never ever hits another hunter and never throws them or koncks them over ever.

Seidkona on
    I've been really taken over by mushroomancer. I feel weird without it on a bow set now. Having infinite stamina means I can place my shots better because holding a full charge doesn't drain anything....and its easier to get 10 mopeshrooms than dash juice.

Also I finally beat Village Teo, speaking of mushrooms. I took the Chaotic bow (the one made of mushrooms) and a pellet up /focus/mushroomancer set. The chaos bow isn't that strong (200 raw only) but it DOES have spread shots on all charges and every status coating. Carted twice because I keep forgetting that Y is only a dodge when charging, but killed Teo with two minutes left on the clock.

....and I still didn't get a Teo gem, and neither of my cats managed to steal one....

edited August 2016
    I've been really taken over by mushroomancer. I feel weird without it on a bow set now. Having infinite stamina means I can place my shots better because holding a full charge doesn't drain anything....and its easier to get 10 mopeshrooms than dash juice.

Also I finally beat Village Teo, speaking of mushrooms. I took the Chaotic bow (the one made of mushrooms) and a pellet up /focus/mushroomancer set. The chaos bow isn't that strong (200 raw only) but it DOES have spread shots on all charges and every status coating. Carted twice because I keep forgetting that Y is only a dodge when charging, but killed Teo with two minutes left on the clock.

....and I still didn't get a Teo gem, and neither of my cats managed to steal one....
    To add context to this story, last night @Arch and I were in a group with Zombie Penguin and eventually Frosteey. We were chain-killing Teostra. In the process, I managed to pick up at least one Teo Gem every run, sometimes two or three when including subquest rewards. At the end of the night, I had 7 Teo Gems.

Arch got zero.

The desire sensor. It is real.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited August 2016
    On an unrelated note, I really love the look of the Artian set. I think I want to make it into a lightning up set for my chainsaws. Is this dumb? The robot armor calls to me....

EDIT: the blademaster S set has 5 slots...but it takes 12 lightcrystals.....

Arch on
    On an unrelated note, I really love the look of the Artian set. I think I want to make it into a lightning up set for my chainsaws. Is this dumb? The robot armor calls to me....

You've seen Crystalbeard armor, right? The ultimate robot armor.
    e18oWGI.png

8i1dt37buh2m.png

To add context to this story, last night @Arch and I were in a group with Zombie Penguin and eventually Frosteey. We were chain-killing Teostra. In the process, I managed to pick up at least one Teo Gem every run, sometimes two or three when including subquest rewards. At the end of the night, I had 7 Teo Gems.

Arch got zero.

Don't invite @Orphane to a hunt if you're after Uklanos Gems. He will get them all.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social

You've seen Crystalbeard armor, right? The ultimate robot armor.
    e18oWGI.png

I mean if all you care about is looking like a cool robot that's definitely in pole position.

edited August 2016
    Orphane wrote: »

I actually did not know this! Iirc the spirit levels were first introduced in p3rd? I don't know if aforementioned weaving was available from the start or if they added it in 4 or 4u, which I didn't play.
    Spirit levels were added in Monster Hunter Tri. The Spirit Combo (along with the extra triangle/X slashes within the combo) has been around ever since the Longsword was introduced. Tri added the side fade slashes (an excellent mobility tool) and the final hit of the Spirit Combo that goes into sheathing (along with the Spirit Level mechanic).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png

Arch got zero.

Yall make fun of me for making every random useless set, but I'd like to point out that both times I've tried to actually make good set (farming redhelm ragehair and now trying to finish my Teo bow) I get punished by the desire sensor.

I'm sure that if I go out and goof around crafting Artian S armor I'll somehow mine a Teo gem....

The hardest part will be looking at how well silver solmail does not mesh with Toka/Gore S.

+10 Hobo

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    The hardest part will be looking at how well silver solmail does not mesh with Toka/Gore S.

+10 Hobo

When I get the time to farm that enormous yellow Mortal Kombat vest Vyolynce has been wearing I'm going to look spectacular.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Auralynx wrote: »

+10 Hobo

When I get the time to farm that enormous yellow Mortal Kombat vest Vyolynce has been wearing I'm going to look spectacular.
    I always thought that the Rajang chest looked like someone cut up a garbage bag as a makeshift poncho. In other words, it's hobo-fabulous!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited August 2016

+10 Hobo

I always thought that the Rajang chest looked like someone cut up a garbage bag as a makeshift poncho. In other words, it's hobo-fabulous!

Since my set is a mix of Divine Ire and Astral (with Brachy feet because slots) I feel like someone crossed SF's Akuma with KI's Fulgore.

Unrelated: holy shit, there's a 7* Prowler quest to break Uragaan's jaw? Fuuuuuuuuuuck that.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Vyolynce wrote: »

+10 Hobo

Since my set is a mix of Divine Ire and Astral (with Brachy feet because slots) I feel like someone crossed SF's Akuma with KI's Fulgore.

Unrelated: holy shit, there's a 7* Prowler quest to break Uragaan's jaw? Fuuuuuuuuuuck that.

Yeah there's a bunch o those, but i can deinitely see Uragaan being a pain due to roll spam if you're too far. Still, the m.o. is basically still throw boomerangs

Bring a blast weapon to that. I find the "break X" Prowler quests aren't that bad with Blast. Technically, you can also try sleep bombing, although it would be difficult to build up meter for that.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Blast did the trick. First try, too.

Only two more Prowler quests to go!

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular

Arch got zero.

Yall make fun of me for making every random useless set, but I'd like to point out that both times I've tried to actually make good set (farming redhelm ragehair and now trying to finish my Teo bow) I get punished by the desire sensor.

I'm sure that if I go out and goof around crafting Artian S armor I'll somehow mine a Teo gem....

You can't game the desire sensor like that, now you won't get any of the things you need.

(It's okay, by calling you on this it means I've jinxed myself instead)

Well my messed up shoulder button made me slink back towards IG for a little bit....using only a rank 3 Azure Bayonet, but the Affinity Up kinsect, and Critical Eye +3/Critical Boost....

Jesus it's like night and day. I'm just shredding things. It feels dirty, it feels too easy

I can't charge my kinsect, sure, but I can quickly fire and recall it back, and my aerial vault button still works, even if I can pogo stick very well

I think my General's Bayonet is, hilariously, gated behind genprey materials

Anyway I still want to finish my Astral set for DBs, and my Black S set for Bow, and maybe finish my charmer outfit (I've hunted five Zamtrios and not gotten the single scale+ I need, and hunting High-Rank Lagiacrus is a chore)