As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] World. PS4 Beta on 12/9. Welcome new Hunters!

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Sorry duders, life has been kicking my ass lately and hunting has taken a backseat

I think Persona 5 and SMT4A are arriving today too

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    Buddy blew me off and when I got on Discord no one was playing.

It was a sad night.

I blame Season 5 of New Girl. I've been feeling the itch start to come back but I was busy laughing at that.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    It's a shame really, that there's only half a dozen of us still playing. I feel like 4U had longer legs than Gen, but this one is a more comprehensive package. I guess it came out too soon after 4U? People didn't have enough time to miss it. What do you guys think?

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    I have been distracted by other games and school starting back up limiting my playtime

Gen also only goes up to high rank, so I feel like other than Deviants it doesn't have as much later content as say 3U. the drop rates also seem more hospitable overall barring individual desire sensor things so people actually get to finish armor sets in a reasonable timeframe.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Not having G Rank eliminates like 1/3 of the content I'm used to. Also, G Rank is hard. The day we took on Savage Jho repeatedly and mostly effortlessly really highlighted the disparity between HR and GR for me.

That said I'm still playing and will be for quite some time. Mostly because nothing else is coming out that has caught my interest until the new Pokemon in November*, but also because there are still a lot of things I haven't done in this yet that I want to. And there's more DLC coming soon, as usual.

*Not 100% true. I'm picking up Severed but I'm not sure if I'm doing so on Wii U or if I want to wait for the 3DS version.

• Options
    elijahdprophetelijahdprophet Registered User regular
    I just ordered a comfort grip for my DS, so I hope I still find people to play with. I don't have any weird looking outfits yet, haven't touched DLC quests or anything.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Not having G Rank eliminates like 1/3 of the content I'm used to. Also, G Rank is hard. The day we took on Savage Jho repeatedly and mostly effortlessly really highlighted the disparity between HR and GR for me.

That said I'm still playing and will be for quite some time. Mostly because nothing else is coming out that has caught my interest until the new Pokemon in November*, but also because there are still a lot of things I haven't done in this yet that I want to. And there's more DLC coming soon, as usual.

*Not 100% true. I'm picking up Severed but I'm not sure if I'm doing so on Wii U or if I want to wait for the 3DS version.
    Severed isn't very long either, so it would be a short diversion at best.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Severed isn't very long either, so it would be a short diversion at best.

Yeah most games are. I don't even expect Pokémon to hold my attention past the Elite Four (or whatever equivalent Alola has) unless they've vastly improved the postgame content since X/Y. B2/W2 was awesome for that but they had a hard backslide this last gen.

• Options
    I just got my wife to play my old copy of Pokemon Y and our daughter watches the cartoon, so Pokemon is a big deal in our family right now, but SUMO is still 2 months away! :ellipses:

• Options
    BeefjerkyBeefjerky Registered User regular
    Aren't hyper monsters basically G rank? Also it seems from looking at kiranico that monsters have different multipliers for like every quest or rank they show up in. I know from doing that hyper gore hub quest a bunch with various people that there's a few times a single hit took me down to like 30% hp from full.

• Options
    Beefjerky wrote: »
    Aren't hyper monsters basically G rank?

I think they're closer to HR+. They certainly hit harder and maybe have some more HP, but they're not actually tougher.

The problem with actual G-rank monsters in Gen is that we'd be stuck fighting them with HR gear. Green sharpness would be unthinkable against a real GR monster.

Also the monsters tend to have even more obnoxious attacks. I don't think Furious Rajang has his triple sonic spinball move at HR (thank the gods), and I know neither version of HR Jho has demonstrated "walkies" to me so far. Zinogre doesn't fling lightning balls when he spins, Rathian doesn't have her spin-dash (again, mercifully). Has anyone seen Rathalos do his "world tour" bullshit in Gen?

• Options
    BeefjerkyBeefjerky Registered User regular
    Ahh yes that's right. Damage numbers themselves may be even similar in some respects but the speed and the little things that are added to moves are what made monsters G rank. I remember how much I hated G Black Diablos for how damn fast it was enraged.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    WoW, Attack on Titan, and a friend's infuriating insistence on playing God Eater have kept me away. I really want to get back on.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Oh my god, I just nearly lost a GATHERING MISSION by timeout.

Fuck you, Tropical Berries.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Proving that no one reads quest descriptions.

I didn't even. I looked it up on google about 25 mins in and I wasn't finding them.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    What's the quest description on that one?

I admit that my search was sort of aimless; I basically just did a bunch of circular treks through the whole of the map, gathering from all cacti, flowers, and berry pods I could find.

• Options

I didn't even. I looked it up on google about 25 mins in and I wasn't finding them.

You're confusing Tropical Berries with Ancient Berries.

• Options

You're confusing Tropical Berries with Ancient Berries.

oh. . .

Ignore me.

• Options
    Long shot request: I don't suppose any of you fine gents and/or ladies would care to help me farm a Silver Narga set, would you? I'm up to level 5

• Options
    Long shot request: I don't suppose any of you fine gents and/or ladies would care to help me farm a Silver Narga set, would you? I'm up to level 5

Certainly not tonight, but if you're around tomorrow or this weekend (mostly Sunday) I'd probably be up for it.

• Options

Certainly not tonight, but if you're around tomorrow or this weekend (mostly Sunday) I'd probably be up for it.

Sounds good!

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I haven't been hunting much in the game because I've been hunting (poke)monsters in the real world. Though even then, it's mostly about about gym domination.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    NeuteredNeutered Registered User regular
    So I recently picked up both MH4U and Gen. These are my first entries into the Monster Hunter world and I have a couple questions about the gameplay.

I'm working my way through the caravan stuff in MH4U, up to 4 star and the beach town, and have made a full set of Jaggi armor and the Bone Glaive+. I feel like things are starting to hit harder, just carted for my first time during a two monster quest, and I'm not seeing many options for upgrades in the insect glaive. I'm pretty close to being able to make the nerscylla glaive, but it's not much of a change on the Attack value. I tried Sword and Shield recently with the Gendrome version, has para, and it seems much slower than the glaive. Am I at a point were I'm just between upgrade options?

My second question has to do with the whole LR, HR, G rank system. Is that for online only? Like I said, I'm at 4 star in the caravan and my guild card doesn't even have a rank listed. Should I be doing some online between caravan hunts? My real issue is I'm not 100% sure what the normal progression path is for this game.

I started with 4U because I read a bunch of things saying it was the better intro game between the two, but as Gen is newer that's all I ever see anybody talk about.

3DS Friend Code: 4682-9858-8261
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Insect Glaive was a new weapon type for 4u, which unfortunately means it is somewhat bereft of options early on, I never used it but I believe it's also fairly strong to compensate. That said it may be worth investing in a different weapon that you like the style of whilst waiting for new glaive opportunities to show up.

The rank system is mostly online only, most of the offline caravan/village quests are considered Low Rank (Though high rank ones will unlock after you beat the main story) the difference is obvious once you hit a considerable difficulty spike.
    You're free to complete quests however you like; if you get stuck in the caravan jump into the guild hall for a bit, or vice versa, personally I like to do all the offline, single-player content first (or as much as I can anyway) and then start on the online/guild hall stuff, but that does lead to you being way overgeared for the earlier online stuff.

4U is probably the better intro game, I would agree with that, it is generally less obtuse than other MH titles and has actual tutorials built in, but, yeah, it is a little older now and people tend to jump ship to the new shiny fairly promptly.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Hey @fRAWRst what was that Crit Draw/Crit Boost set you use again? It's been awhile since I played and I forgot what I was even hunting

• Options
    Well just got back from the Monster Hunter tour thing in Atlanta

Had fun, got to meet and hunt with some new people, someone in our hunting party won a MonHun 3DS XL even

I didn't win anything from the raffles, but I did get free food and alcohol

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Hey @fRAWRst what was that Crit Draw/Crit Boost set you use again? It's been awhile since I played and I forgot what I was even hunting

mine is

3 slot +4 focus (with a +5 3 slot you can do the set with a slotless weapon) talisman

tiggy gs (1 slot)

black s helm
    black s chest
    silver los gaunts
    damascus r waist
    black s feet

all slotted with crit boost (get legendary tickets from brachy arena, i solo'd it with gs about 12 times since you need 2 tickets per gem)

crit draw
    crit boost
    focus

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    I had to move and then do everything I could to comfort my ailing cat. I was playing pretty regularly before the move had to get in full swing, especially because I could play wherever she had laid down.

Both things are over now, but I made the mistake of getting Xenoblade X when offered a deep discount. Started playing so as not to squander the money. Gotta finish so I can get back to more interesting games.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Hype time for new MH game guys. Got mine coming saturday!

Not as hyped as ya know... a full on MH game. But the demo was very fun and looking forward to this one.

Had to get the amiibo too...

y901tyn1f4ks.jpg

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    So did anyone here end up doing the PSP thumbpad replacement? If so how has it been working out for you?

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Maddoc wrote: »
    So did anyone here end up doing the PSP thumbpad replacement? If so how has it been working out for you?

I did.

It's been working great now for the last few months. I've had no problems with it.

You do have to get used to it being extra sensitive but once you do it's a really good hardware mod.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Looks like Silver Los and more dlc is this friday

i think i can make my set not require any weapon slots with silver los R parts too!

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I've been looking forward to Silver Los

Also Lodestone stuff, which has some nice skills and lots of slots and also Marth cosplay

• Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    Looking forward to giving the Hyper Silver a shot. Gaijinhunter's saying he's tough. Would be nice to max out my crit set though. Also, anyone have tips for getting Webbings from Alatreon? It's a long fight and 2/3 times I've got none despite working the wings the whole fight. I want that Shinobi armor!

• Options
    October DLC includes Fire Emblem, Ghosts n' Goblins, and Mega Man gear. Hyper Silver is FE quest. Still no Hyper Gold. :(

• Options
    Apparently you can use the Lodestar gaunts and waist, silver sol chest/legs and hayabusa helm with a +4 sharpness 3 slot to get that sweet sweet dps set

crit eye+2
    weakness exploit
    razorsharp
    crit boost

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    Apparently you can use the Lodestar gaunts and waist, silver sol chest/legs and hayabusa helm with a +4 sharpness 3 slot to get that sweet sweet dps set

crit eye+2
    weakness exploit
    razorsharp
    crit boost

Oh, new sharpness options?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    edited October 2016
    I played a bit last night. Shook off some of the Rust.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Warcraft has snatched me back and away from hunting mons unfortunately, but that's gone from every day to every other day now that we've got the first raid done.

Of course Civ 6 is nearly out soooooo..

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I need to get around to finally fighting the rest of the deviants at some point. They're such a pain to deal with, though. I'm hoping that system dies or gets a massive overhaul in the next game.

I'm tempted to call Hyper monsters a design failure as well.