As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] NVIDIA can't stop releasing GPUs like Oprah can't stop releasing bees

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    My Zotac 1060 AMP works like a charm, but I think somebody here was saying their 1080 was a little louder than they'd like.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    My 1080 Ti is out on a truck for delivery. Come on FedEx, don't let me down.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    I've owned 3 Zotac (980, 980 Ti articstorm model, then a 1080 Ti FE now) and they have all been great overclockers and have ran with no issues. They do constantly make the best OCing cards (minus the Kingpins) out there.

You should have no issue with them, Palit on the other hand I have no personal experience with and can't recommend either way.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So current WIP config is:
    Fractal Design R5 black
    i7 7700k
    ASRock Z270 Pro4
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3000
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
    inno3d iChill 1070 X4
    Corsair Vengeance 500 500W

plus another drive for the majority of the games, maybe a Seagate SkyHawk 3TB - even though that hasn't got 7200rpm (5900 instead). I'd have to read up on how much of a difference that would make. For media storage I wouldn't mind, but games...hrm
    My reasoning to look at HDDs like the Skyhawk is that they're designed to basically run all day, i.e. longer lifespan, because when I'm home, the machine is on, so that is something I think about. I'm open to suggestions if that sounds crazy though!

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Excellent, I was wondering if it was worth going EVGA but if a Palit or Zotac works well then I'll go for that

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Alright, new list with changes.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BMmxPs
    Videocard price seems crazy to me, though I usually buy them like out of value bin or something.

Would appreciate more critiques/advice.
    I should point out that this will be a purchase about 2 months from now or so. If there are sales on I can watch for dips in prices and stuff.

This is very similar to the PC build I am currently running, and I am very happy with it. The CPU cooler is fine but if you want more than a mild overclock you may wish to buy something a little more robust.

What resolution/framerate are you looking for? The 1070 will handle 1440p at 60fps and max settings, or 1080p @ 144fps.

Not real sure on that area. I have two old ass monitors now, and the plan is to get dual monitors that are worth a damn down the road (like 6 months from now). Because I'm not doing bleeding edge gaming I don't really know whats going on in that realm. I was mulling over dropping to a 1060 6GB to get the build a bit cheaper as it is a bit more expensive than I'd like. No big deal as either I purchase it 3 months from now or purchase things in smaller chunks. Also having to buy Windows.

Another thing to keep in mind if you're waiting 3 months is that the next round of Ryzen AMD CPUs will be out and will be directly competing against the i5 chips. It may be worth seeing how they shake out. Even if they aren't quite as good the competition may force Intel to cut prices, and they will likely be better for things like video editing and stuff like that. Since CPUs aren't a bottleneck in gaming nowadays, Ryzen may still be the best choice.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Alright, new list with changes.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BMmxPs
    Videocard price seems crazy to me, though I usually buy them like out of value bin or something.

Would appreciate more critiques/advice.
    I should point out that this will be a purchase about 2 months from now or so. If there are sales on I can watch for dips in prices and stuff.

This is very similar to the PC build I am currently running, and I am very happy with it. The CPU cooler is fine but if you want more than a mild overclock you may wish to buy something a little more robust.

What resolution/framerate are you looking for? The 1070 will handle 1440p at 60fps and max settings, or 1080p @ 144fps.

Not real sure on that area. I have two old ass monitors now, and the plan is to get dual monitors that are worth a damn down the road (like 6 months from now). Because I'm not doing bleeding edge gaming I don't really know whats going on in that realm. I was mulling over dropping to a 1060 6GB to get the build a bit cheaper as it is a bit more expensive than I'd like. No big deal as either I purchase it 3 months from now or purchase things in smaller chunks. Also having to buy Windows.

I should add that the budget is not a hard limit, and I'm actually fairly flexible with time frame so if commonly there is a better time to buy before end of summer I can push all the things back.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    There is no time that you can purchase a computer that will last more than 6 months before part of it becomes obsolete.

• Options
    It's all happening.

rdjzJbR.png?1
    mzW4Fi0.png?1

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Now put it in, crank that fan to 100% and see your spouses face :)

My wife was across the living room and she just gave me the 'wtf is that' look.

It really does sound like a vacuum over 70% fan speed.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Benchmarks!

980 Ti
    EVGA Classified, ~8% factory OC

3B4uMPu.png

1080 Ti
    Gigabyte Founder's Edition, no OC

yxQBP7t.png

So given the OC of my EVGA, the numbers I was seeing floating around basically hold up. At 1080p we're looking at around an 80% increase, and frankly I think I'm CPU bound there. At 1440p (where I do most of my gaming) we're seeing around 68% and at 4k it's around 67%. These line up well with the numbers I've been seeing around the internet in terms of how much faster the 1080 Ti is over the 980 Ti. The small discrepancy I'm seeing can be explained by the factory OC of my 980 Ti.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    I really want an excuse to upgrade my CPU (I have an i7-4790k), but then I look at the benchmarks for the 7700k and it's like a wet fart. Barely 15% faster than my CPU, just not worth the total cost of platform upgrade. I really hope this time next year AMD has put enough pressure on Intel that we get a round of CPU's (from either side) that is worth the cost to upgrade for me.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Mine was delivered today as well :D

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I'd almost be jealous if FE wasn't so damned ugly.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    Mmm something just showed up at my door step, but my pup was protecting it and didn't want me to open it up :D

thrjcg5z6d0f.jpg
    t6x7cpvrlq4i.jpg

@Bloodycow I would love to hear your experience with that zotac card. They are far and away the cheapest brand I have seen which makes me skeptical but if they are good then that's awesome.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    They are a good brand! Not as popular as Asus/EVGA/Gigabyte, but hell they were the first company to ship a GPU with a factory overclock. All the ones I have owned were crazy good overclockers (one was better then my 1000$ 980ti Kingpin card).

But with every company there are just cards that don't get caught during QC and someone will make a big stink on the internet. I had a shit Gigabyte Xtreme Waterforce 980ti that wouldn't even do stock clocks without tossing artifacts (ended up getting my money back and bought my Kingpins).

Also, every card manufacture has to meet Nvidia specs, anything but the highest end card is going to be near identical.

― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    (sigh)

At this point, the one thing standing between me and ordering all the remaining bits of computer is the fact that everyone is currently out of the motherboard I want. Looking at the Fry's website, it looks like they're expecting new stock March 28, so I'm assuming that will be true for the other vendors.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    What was the motherboard you wanted? Try looking on nowinstock.com to see if there is anything?

― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    What was the motherboard you wanted? Try looking on nowinstock.com to see if there is anything?

The ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, which is the board AMD used in their press kits.

• Options
    ShadowofVTShadowofVT Robot Overlord Boston, MARegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I really want an excuse to upgrade my CPU (I have an i7-4790k), but then I look at the benchmarks for the 7700k and it's like a wet fart. Barely 15% faster than my CPU, just not worth the total cost of platform upgrade. I really hope this time next year AMD has put enough pressure on Intel that we get a round of CPU's (from either side) that is worth the cost to upgrade for me.

So if I'm looking to buy an i7, and my goal is to buy one between now and let's say June, is there any advantage to saving a few bucks and going with the 6600k instead of the 7700k? Or is the issue just that the improvements between them aren't significant enough to buy a new one when you already own the old one?

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I don't think you'll be able to save much money going for a Skylake chip instead of Kaby Lake

• Options
    Yeah, I don't think you're going to save much, since you can get the 7700K on sale for 325'ish.

My issue is that the performance gap between a 7700K and a 4790K (which I have now) is not enough to justify buying a new CPU, motherboard and 32GB of DDR4 RAM. Even taking in to account the bump from DDR3 to 4, it just doesn't make up the performance to cost gap.

• Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So I guess HDR monitors aren't available yet? Do we have any idea when they might be coming?

I have my eyes set on a 1080 ti when the EVGA one comes out and would like a 4k HDR monitor with g-sync to pair with it.

Edit: What I mean to say is, why can't I have HDR 4k nooooowww? Haha.

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Mace1370 wrote: »
    So I guess HDR monitors aren't available yet? Do we have any idea when they might be coming?

I have my eyes set on a 1080 ti when the EVGA one comes out and would like a 4k HDR monitor with g-sync to pair with it.

Sounds like you're looking for the Asus PG27UQ which is pending a price and a release date...

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't think you're going to save much, since you can get the 7700K on sale for 325'ish.

My issue is that the performance gap between a 7700K and a 4790K (which I have now) is not enough to justify buying a new CPU, motherboard and 32GB of DDR4 RAM. Even taking in to account the bump from DDR3 to 4, it just doesn't make up the performance to cost gap.

yea, there's no reason at all to upgrade CPU's unless you're on a 2xxx series. it's only been within the last 6 months that we're seeing those processors becoming bottlenecks in operations. And really, even on processors that old you're likely to see more day to day improvements on the new things in the chipsets on modern devices, not that much of a significant speed increase. Gone are the days of CPU performance improving by like 50% every year.

I'm on a 4790k and I literally can't see anything I'd want to upgrade for. This is of course my personal opintion, but I think upgrading a CPU/motherboard just because is pretty much a waste of money these days.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Agreed. I was tossing up a move to Z270 and 7700k, from 4770k, but it's just pointless. I'd get more actual performance increase from replacing my year-old 980Ti with a 1080Ti, for the same money.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

Sounds like you're looking for the Asus PG27UQ which is pending a price and a release date...

That sounds amazing but my god is that thing fucking gaudy as shit.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

I think you can turn stand's light off, which should help some...but yeah.

Should be real nice once it releases though!

• Options
    Has anyone built a mini pc before?

What's the advantage of a mini pc over a tower?

• Options
    Karl wrote: »
    What's the advantage of a mini pc over a tower?

Being smaller.

• Options
    Yeah that I guessed. I'm still umming and erring about going tower over mini PC vs full blown tower.

I get the impression a tower is easier to upgrade in the future?

• Options
    UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Yeah that I guessed. I'm still umming and erring about going tower over mini PC vs full blown tower.

There's always that Mid Tower... :hydra:

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited March 2017

I mean, that's basically it. Like anything else, making something smaller nearly always requires making it worse in almost every other way. Mini PCs restrict your component choice, they require more allowance for heat, they require far better knowledge of cable management and component installation, and they are, as you say, harder to upgrade, because of the restricted component choice. They usually also sacrifice performance overall, it's rare you can fit a full size GPU into one.

If you have the space and portability is not a concern, a tower is straight up better.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I think you can turn stand's light off, which should help some...but yeah.

Should be real nice once it releases though!

I love the specs. I'll probably get something similar to it once I upgrade my video card on the next round of Nvidia chips.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

I mean, that's basically it. Like anything else, making something smaller nearly always requires making it worse in almost every other way. Mini PCs restrict your component choice, they require more allowance for heat, they require far better knowledge of cable management and component installation, and they are, as you say, harder to upgrade, because of the restricted component choice. They usually also sacrifice performance overall, it's rare you can fit a full size GPU into one.

If you have the space and portability is not a concern, a tower is straight up better.

Space is a factor now but I'm considering dropping £££££ on a PC that will last me 5 years plus (I can handle performance degradation over that kind of time span), so I know space won't be an issue in the future.
    UseR2006 wrote: »

There's always that Mid Tower... :hydra:

The case I'm eying up is:

461 x 198 x 479mm
    (Approx H x W x D)

Does that count as mid tower?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    So what you guys are saying is that I should upgrade to 1080Ti and go from 6700k to 7700k?

Thanks, build thread!

• Options
    Mid and full tower cases offer more room for building and cable management amongst a few other build specific things. Minis require you to be very specific in your build philosophy and don't offer much in the ability to expand without swapping.

• Options
    Mid and full tower cases offer more room for building and cable management amongst a few other build specific things. Minis require you to be very specific in your build philosophy and don't offer much in the ability to expand without swapping.

Yeah, and unless you're carrying the thing to LAN parties all of the time, you really don't get any benefit.

• Options

Yeah, and unless you're carrying the thing to LAN parties all of the time, you really don't get any benefit.

Mainly, they excel in situations where space is at a premium, which is why they're popular for HTPC builds.

• Options
    So, I have:

* Case and water cooler coming in today,
    * Power supply and SSD coming in tomorrow,
    * Motherboard is apparently on a literal slow boat from China
    * Video card should be in next week
    * On the "to order" list: processor, thermal compound, HDD for mass storage, RAM, OS.

(sigh) The anticipation is palpable.

This discussion has been closed.