As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior Online] The fix for that Stompy Bot craving.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Quick question:

So they're releasing hero omnimech versions of existing mechs.

How does pod swapping work if I only have non-hero mech variants?

Reason I ask is because that TImberwolf has a left-arm ballistic pod. Finally I will have sweet symmetry (and quad UAC5s)

edit: and it looks like buying 1 gets you the base clan loyalty reward. Hmm, kinda tempting.

edit2: Linky: https://mwomercs.com/clan-heroes

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Good to see "not a new chassis" is still code for "do you want to buy a mech pack?" What an announcement. What excitement. Russ, do us the favor of just not teasing shit next time. You have surpassed my lowest expectations to disappoint me yet again.

I assume these use the omnipod rules from the new mechs that have heroes like the Viper and Night Gyr? I don't own any of those, but assuming the worst possibilities in terms of balance, you can probably swap hero omnipods around to any variant. I'm absolutely sure you can put normal omnipods on a hero, Clanners would accept nothing less.

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I meant more in terms of buying hero omnipod without having the heromech itself.

Daddy needs his arm ballistic slots.

edit: It probably works like the viper/nightgyr but I don't know how those work either.

Those those aren't currently available for MC/C-bills.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Speaking of Thursday night shenanigans, @Nips when does stock mode fuckery start?

Shenanigans starts now! All aboard the Private Lobby Luxury Cruise!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Mortious wrote: »
    I meant more in terms of buying hero omnipod without having the heromech itself.

edit: It probably works like the viper/nightgyr but I don't know how those work either.

Are you kidding? Not pay money for special toys? I am guessing it will never happen. They're probably already salivating at the thought of people buying multiple heroes for more pods. I doubt you'll ever be able to get them individually for MC, but maybe if people beg long and hard enough.

Edit - From the FAQ Thread: http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/237571-wave-1-clan-hero-packs-faq/page__view__findpost__p__5415258
    PGI wrote:
    Q: How do the OmniPods for these Clan Hero 'Mechs work? Will we be able to buy these OmniPods in the MechLab?
    Hero OmniPods cannot be purchased separately from the Hero 'Mech. To acquire Hero OmniPods for use with other variants of that chassis, you must own an instance of the Hero 'Mech to remove and use its OmniPods elsewhere.

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

Speaking of Thursday night shenanigans, Nips when does stock mode fuckery start?

Shenanigans starts now! All aboard the Private Lobby Luxury Cruise!

Hopefully you will be online after I eat dinner.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options

Are you kidding? Not pay money for special toys? I am guessing it will never happen. They're probably already salivating at the thought of people buying multiple heroes for more pods. I doubt you'll ever be able to get them individually for MC, but maybe if people beg long and hard enough.

I guess not making hero omnipods available for individual purchase is probably the simplest method, but dissapointing.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Here's a good breakdown of the Clan Heroes from Reddit.
    L0111101 wrote:
    The Dire Wolf gets 2 ballistic points per arm (instead of 1B or 1B+4E from other pods) and 2 energy points per side torso without losing 2 tons and 1 slot to hover jets (from the S-pod), as well as a missile point in the CT that isn't restricted by a 2 ton 1 slot hover jet (compared to the S-variant.) You could run something ridiculous like 8 UAC2 with 10 tons of ammo using those new arms and the old DWF-B side torsos.

The Warhawk gets an extra energy hard point in the left arm and and an extra ballistic point in the right arm. Triple ballistics are now an option or you could run a 7E build with the new left arm, old WHK-B right arm, and the WHK-C chassis.

The Timber Wolf can mount a ballistic in the left arm now, and the right torso can run an energy hard point with 2tons and 2 slots of jump jets and negative quirks.

The Summoner doesn't really get anything - unless you aren't getting the loyalty reward for this year in which case you gain an LT energy point. The 2 ballistic arm is as pointless as ever because of ferro but no endo and 5 tons in locked jump jets.

The Stormcrow gets a ballistic point AND energy point in the right arm - it only had a ballistic left arm before.

The Nova went from 2 missile hard points to 4 with the addition of that left arm and the left torso gains an additional energy hard point for a total of 2.

The Adder gains a ballistic point in each torso, before it only had 1 B arms.

The Kit Fox just got huge hard point inflation with 2 energy point side torsos. It can run 8 E now with the new side torsos plus the old S right arm and Prime left arm.

TL;DR - Nothing to see here but pricey power creep, move along

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Hey, at least they aren't pushing a shadowcat with a billion energy hardpoints.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Gotta save something for the Wave 3 heroes...

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Oh God. It must be the top tier clan loyalty reward for fall 2017.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Oh well, looks like my 4xUAC5 Timberwolf will not be piloted by me.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    Stock mode is the best mode. Go go kitchen sink IS builds.

l7n41RV.png
  • Options
    Tigliss wrote: »

You guys don't need sleep tonight right?

Play a couple of more games in 3 hours time? :P

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Stock Mode was fun, with a few caveats (if you don't have an engine saved, can't even select it; kinda playing roulette with the stock buildout unless you have Sarna up).

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Tigliss wrote: »

You guys don't need sleep tonight right?

Play a couple of more games in 3 hours time? :P

I really wish I could. It's turning out that Stock Mode is kinda the dumb fun I want out of MWO.

Point of Note: Even though the server sets your 'Mech to a stock loadout with the option enabled, your 'Mech has to be valid in the Mech Bay for you to select it for a match. All those IS 'Mechs without engines, or Clan 'Mechs you scavenged pods from? No es bueno. Can't select them, and thus can't run them even in a Stock match.

Much lulz were had with @Buttcleft @Handgimp and @Betsuni tonight! Seriously though, Stock Mode Private Matches may actually be a small saving grace for this game.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Zeus are uniformly terribad tho.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Also Atlas and King Crabs are king again. Along with the Wang. AC20s work again.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    AC20 is the godking of weapons vs stock IS mechs.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    How do Champion/Special mechs work in stock mode?

'cause my ThunderBolt TDR-9SE comes "stock" with 3LPLs, DHS, and a shield side.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Ugh, I have no idea how I'm going to do that medium MDD challenge. I only have centurions and the 1st year's loyalty cicada. My best bet is probably grind the hell out of today and tomorrow and buying a cheap lunchback?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    check out the trial mechs?

Let's see;
    3LPL Crab. Looks decent.
    2ASRM6/4ML Griffon. Not the loadout I would have gone with but you should be able to do some damage with it.
    2cUAC10/2cERML Hunchback-IIC. Now that will get you some KMDDs.
    2LPL Shadowcat. At least it has ECM.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
  • Options

Hero 'Mechs come in with the loadout that is their default (see above: Wang), which means that on the whole they're good: largely armored, weapons loadouts that don't suck, etc..

Champions come in with their stock canon loadout. Your 9SE is coming in with 3xML, 1xLPL, 1xLRM-10, jump jets, DHS, and full armor. Which, honestly, isn't the worst loadout out there.

A lot of pre-Invasion IS 'Mechs suffer from Swiss Army Knife Syndrome: weapons loadouts that aren't focused, and overall loadouts that are just bad (not enough armor, not enough heat sinks, etc.)

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Aw, I forgot about Oosik night.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options

I have a feeling the Hellbringer, Ebon Jaguar, Shadowcat and Arctic Cheetah are gonna be pretty rage inducing. 4 SRM6 Splat Cheetahs? 6 energy Shadowcats? Battlemasterbringers with a new 3 energy RT? EBJ with ECM and high mounted ST ballistics? The sky is the limit.

This is the first content release that really has me worried for the state of the game. I'm sure its all artist work and no real dev time went into it, but Energy Draw was supposed to be done this summer and we are closing on 2017 super fast. Whats lined up after energy draw? Anything? CW Phase 3 flopped hard, I think PGI gave up. Solaris will just be another deathmatch game mode. I'm not going to give a shit about getting ranked inside a 4v4 arena. I always hope they will surprise me, but they are running out of time.

HBS is gonna release Battletech in 2017 and, I assume, poach just about every player away from this trainwreck. Expect a HBS Clan campaign 2018. The hero mechs aren't going to be available for MC until May 2017! PGI is gonna push hard to monetize everything they can before the end of this year and go into low-power, keep-the-lights-on maintenance mode, suctioning up any money they can squeeze out of it and move on. I think a sale to HBS is about the best case scenario at that point, but getting a new team up to speed on the codebase to actually improve on what's here could take a year, assuming HBS even wants to build more into it. I suppose PGI could try a single player campaign release, but if they aren't already working on it, I doubt they'll have the capital to get it finished for 2018? It's gonna take time. HBS might be able to pull off a single player campaign backed by a kickstarter. There's no way PGI will get another round of crowd funding.

This is the first mech pack I would recommend you cut your losses and enjoy what you have, while you can. I think PGI's Battletech license ends in 2018, so I really expect near to nothing to change in 2017. They talked about extending the license, but I can't find the news release and, from what I remember, the wording was pretty vague.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I don't really expect BattleTech to poach all the players away. A turn-based game is pretty different, and not generally a good fit for playing with an online group. And if that is what people actually want, I'd think they'd already be playing MegaMek instead of MWO.

• Options
    Orogogus wrote: »
    I don't really expect BattleTech to poach all the players away. A turn-based game is pretty different, and not generally a good fit for playing with an online group. And if that is what people actually want, I'd think they'd already be playing MegaMek instead of MWO.

I think HBS will put out something a lot more accessible than MegaMek.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I have zero desire to play MegaMek because old BattleTech is pretty fiddly even without a fan made client.

I am incredibly stoked for Battletech by HBS and if the multiplayer is even half way decent it will be my stomp bot game of choice over MWO easily.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

Hero 'Mechs come in with the loadout that is their default (see above: Wang), which means that on the whole they're good: largely armored, weapons loadouts that don't suck, etc..

The fuck they are.

My Huginn had an SRM6, a streak srm 2 and 4 goddamn fucking machine guns.

• Options
    edited September 2016

The fuck they are.

And, really...you don't need to look much farther than the Firestarter Ember: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=137&l=stock

Spoiler: it's 4 flamers and 4 MGs. Good luck chewing through armor with that.

EDIT - oh, and I forgot to mention: only 2t of ammo for the MGs.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

The fuck they are.

And, really...you don't need to look much farther than the Firestarter Ember: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=137&l=stock

Actually in stock you would be surprised how nasty that is. You probably will run out of ammo and have a few kills or at least tons of component destruction.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

The fuck they are.

Actually in stock you would be surprised how nasty that is. You probably will run out of ammo and have a few kills or at least tons of component destruction.

Given that it has no armor cracking ability, any threat that it has comes from it surviving until late-match after other mechs have melted off the armor. To make that job even more difficult: it's running a 210 engine rating (so it's cruising along at 97kph...however, it's a Standard engine, so that'll make it slightly easier to last into later in the match). That's awfully slow for a mech with front torso armor distribution that looks like 22/26/22...

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

The fuck they are.

Given that it has no armor cracking ability, any threat that it has comes from it surviving until late-match after other mechs have melted off the armor. To make that job even more difficult: it's running a 210 engine rating (so it's cruising along at 97kph...however, it's a Standard engine, so that'll make it slightly easier to last into later in the match). That's awfully slow for a mech with front torso armor distribution that looks like 22/26/22...

4 flamers will all but heatlock enemies for your allies to kill at their leisure.

• Options

The fuck they are.

Well, they can't all be winners.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular

I have a feeling the Hellbringer, Ebon Jaguar, Shadowcat and Arctic Cheetah are gonna be pretty rage inducing. 4 SRM6 Splat Cheetahs? 6 energy Shadowcats? Battlemasterbringers with a new 3 energy RT? EBJ with ECM and high mounted ST ballistics? The sky is the limit.

This is the first content release that really has me worried for the state of the game. I'm sure its all artist work and no real dev time went into it, but Energy Draw was supposed to be done this summer and we are closing on 2017 super fast. Whats lined up after energy draw? Anything? CW Phase 3 flopped hard, I think PGI gave up. Solaris will just be another deathmatch game mode. I'm not going to give a shit about getting ranked inside a 4v4 arena. I always hope they will surprise me, but they are running out of time.

HBS is gonna release Battletech in 2017 and, I assume, poach just about every player away from this trainwreck. Expect a HBS Clan campaign 2018. The hero mechs aren't going to be available for MC until May 2017! PGI is gonna push hard to monetize everything they can before the end of this year and go into low-power, keep-the-lights-on maintenance mode, suctioning up any money they can squeeze out of it and move on. I think a sale to HBS is about the best case scenario at that point, but getting a new team up to speed on the codebase to actually improve on what's here could take a year, assuming HBS even wants to build more into it. I suppose PGI could try a single player campaign release, but if they aren't already working on it, I doubt they'll have the capital to get it finished for 2018? It's gonna take time. HBS might be able to pull off a single player campaign backed by a kickstarter. There's no way PGI will get another round of crowd funding.

This is the first mech pack I would recommend you cut your losses and enjoy what you have, while you can. I think PGI's Battletech license ends in 2018, so I really expect near to nothing to change in 2017. They talked about extending the license, but I can't find the news release and, from what I remember, the wording was pretty vague.

I really think that they no longer have the ability to create the game, either due to low staffing or incompetence or both; they can do numbers tuning (energy draw) because that's easy, very rarely a new map (even though that ought to be pretty easy also), and new art/mechs since that's immediately monetize-able (hell they might even be doing it on a contract basis.) Any other system work seems to be totally off the table (ex: the long tom, which everybody and their mother thinks is awful but PGI refuse to redesign.)

the good news is that if they do go into 'low maintenance money-sucking mode' it's not clear that it would be so different from the status quo :rotate:

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options

The fuck they are.

4 flamers will all but heatlock enemies for your allies to kill at their leisure.

Unless the target your flaming is another MG heavy mech that has more armor than you (looking at you, Mr. Arrow).

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I have zero desire to play MegaMek because old BattleTech is pretty fiddly even without a fan made client.

I am incredibly stoked for Battletech by HBS and if the multiplayer is even half way decent it will be my stomp bot game of choice over MWO easily.

Well, why? I've watched the backer videos, and it looks a lot like BattleTech. There's sighting, and they've multiplied everything by 5 and percentages aren't based on d6s, and they've changed up a lot of little rules (e.g. you can fire tiny guns in the same round you make melee attacks) but it has the same range bands and 'Mechs and weapons. I got in because I was looking for a prettier MegaMek with a strong campaign element, and I'm pretty sure I'm getting that. The guy in the videos is still telling his 'Mechs where to go, and exactly what guns to fire at which targets. What accessibility issues do you find in BattleTech and/or MegaMek that you expect to see addressed here? MegaMek is kind of unattractive and a pain to get set up, and the UI's very utilitarian, but that's not why I don't play it all the time.

To me, turn-based games against people aren't usually that different from playing against AI, and I usually don't end up playing any turn-based multiplayer more than a two or three times a year (I guess card games are pretty popular now, though). I just can't imagine this producing any multiplayer mode that would be something I'd want to play several times a week.

• Options
    I fired up a quick round of MegaMek during lunch. I didn't realize the random army list had given the Computer 4 Assaults until my K2 was getting kidney punched by a Banshee. My 2 Heavies, Rampage (oh, that was an assault) and Highlander didn't really stand a chance against a Cyclops/Stalker/Banshee/Atlas combo for the same BV as my side. I also kind of wish it would have let me place the mechs, since after putting down my first, the computer just countered all my positions by dropping an Assault behind them. I can see my opposition "Princess" is a real honorable combatant. This ought to go well...

1st Round I began by trying to figure out what buttons did. My Rampage is facing the wrong direction, no wait, that's not how you turn around. Apparently fired everything pointing remotely in the direction of the Stalker, while my K2 managed to knock the Atlas down with some PPCs. The enemy Stalker immediately transformed into scrap metal, but my K2 took some damage. Nothing it can't handle. Yay, one down, this is gonna be easy...

Round 2 the Banshee then took revenge, turning my prone K2 into a metal donut with its fists while the dice decided everything I threw at him went wide. My Thunderbolt ran down a street but then didn't turn properly like I was expecting him too, not sure why. All weapons fire continued to prove ineffective against the Banshee. The Atlas got to its feet and quickly closed distance to join the Banshee's murder spree.

Round 3 moving up behind him like a horror movie, the Banshee slowly maneuvered closer to my Thunderbolt who was dodging ammo explosions like a champ. So glad the engineers stuck an LRM15 and crucial SRM2 on this laserboat. Standing my ground seemed the best strategy.

Round 4 my Thunderbolt attempted to fend off the Atlas and the Banshee from the ground after losing a leg. Oh hey, the Computer's Cyclops finally made it across the map. My Highlander and Rampage threw yet more wide shots at the Banshee.

Round 5 my Highlander overheated while my Rampage 2G continued to run near 0 heat despite three continuous turns worth of alphas, how many heatsinks does this thing have? I finally breached the Banshee's armor, but the Rampage got his lunch money taken by the Banshee and Atlas.

I decided that was enough for now as my 733 looked forward to a heroic 1 v 3 assault class comeback with an LRM20 too close to use anymore, 1 AC10, an SRM6 and 2 whole Medium Lasers. I'll take it easy on the computer for now.

Overall its more fun to type this stuff out than play MegaMek :P Seems like it'd be a blast to get in on some action with you guys if my schedule ever lines up. The end of round text summary has detail, but doesn't have the visceral feedback of actual 3D explosions. You don't get to see the dice either, so I'm assuming its all D6 based, but there are modifiers being added? Actually getting into all the pilot stuff and adding vehicles and infantry to the mix sounds daunting.

I'm really looking forward to Battletech. HBS is even going to have Melee combat in the game, so for newbs like me, I assume the game will easily compete for time against triple-A offerings like XCom, Total War or Civ.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Ugh, screw it. It took 2 hours to just get the KMDD with the mechs I actually have (too many freaking sniping maps when my assaults are all brawlers :(). I give up on trying to get this with a medium trial.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2016
    I fired up a quick round of MegaMek during lunch. I didn't realize the random army list had given the Computer 4 Assaults until my K2 was getting kidney punched by a Banshee. My 2 Heavies, Rampage (oh, that was an assault) and Highlander didn't really stand a chance against a Cyclops/Stalker/Banshee/Atlas combo for the same BV as my side. I also kind of wish it would have let me place the mechs, since after putting down my first, the computer just countered all my positions by dropping an Assault behind them. I can see my opposition "Princess" is a real honorable combatant. This ought to go well...

1st Round I began by trying to figure out what buttons did. My Rampage is facing the wrong direction, no wait, that's not how you turn around. Apparently fired everything pointing remotely in the direction of the Stalker, while my K2 managed to knock the Atlas down with some PPCs. The enemy Stalker immediately transformed into scrap metal, but my K2 took some damage. Nothing it can't handle. Yay, one down, this is gonna be easy...

Round 2 the Banshee then took revenge, turning my prone K2 into a metal donut with its fists while the dice decided everything I threw at him went wide. My Thunderbolt ran down a street but then didn't turn properly like I was expecting him too, not sure why. All weapons fire continued to prove ineffective against the Banshee. The Atlas got to its feet and quickly closed distance to join the Banshee's murder spree.

Round 3 moving up behind him like a horror movie, the Banshee slowly maneuvered closer to my Thunderbolt who was dodging ammo explosions like a champ. So glad the engineers stuck an LRM15 and crucial SRM2 on this laserboat. Standing my ground seemed the best strategy.

Round 4 my Thunderbolt attempted to fend off the Atlas and the Banshee from the ground after losing a leg. Oh hey, the Computer's Cyclops finally made it across the map. My Highlander and Rampage threw yet more wide shots at the Banshee.

Round 5 my Highlander overheated while my Rampage 2G continued to run near 0 heat despite three continuous turns worth of alphas, how many heatsinks does this thing have? I finally breached the Banshee's armor, but the Rampage got his lunch money taken by the Banshee and Atlas.

I decided that was enough for now as my 733 looked forward to a heroic 1 v 3 assault class comeback with an LRM20 too close to use anymore, 1 AC10, an SRM6 and 2 whole Medium Lasers. I'll take it easy on the computer for now.

Overall its more fun to type this stuff out than play MegaMek :P Seems like it'd be a blast to get in on some action with you guys if my schedule ever lines up. The end of round text summary has detail, but doesn't have the visceral feedback of actual 3D explosions. You don't get to see the dice either, so I'm assuming its all D6 based, but there are modifiers being added? Actually getting into all the pilot stuff and adding vehicles and infantry to the mix sounds daunting.

I'm really looking forward to Battletech. HBS is even going to have Melee combat in the game, so for newbs like me, I assume the game will easily compete for time against triple-A offerings like XCom, Total War or Civ.

Make sure to set the start positions on the AI players/yourself. That way they can't just put their units right behind yours.

Hit rolls get modifiers based on your movement and the enemy's movement. Movement rolls get modifiers based on the terrain, and I think speed you are going.

e:
    http://www.sarna.net/wiki/CBT_Tables

Basically, always try to move at least 3 hexes if you are getting shot at. Don't jump unless you need to (or are getting focused fire and can jump a good distance). Don't move past your walk speed if making long shots, try to be stationary for sniping if possible.

Morkath on