As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rowing machine suggestions

shorttiminshorttimin regularRegistered User regular
Hi all. After balancing work, school, newborn and moving back in with the in-laws, we've finally reached a bit of stability and I'm hoping to start exercising again. After seeing some good results with coworkers using rowing machines I'm interested in getting one of my own.

It would have to be outside, but I would keep it covered with both a tent and tarp. My company also provides us with a $300 fitness reimbursement, so I don't mind getting a higher end rower that's going to last. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated, thanks!

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    How much are you looking to spend? I know you said you could get a $300 reimbursement, but is that your budget?
    At that level, you'd probably be best served looking at Craigslist or the like and see what's available second hand.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    I've heard nothing but good about concept2, and that's what I was going to buy before I switched up and invested in freeweights instead. It's a bit pricier than $300 though.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    A coworker has a Concept2 and he loves it. Sounds like you can't go wrong with one of those or a WaterRower, but being ~$1000 I'd like to see if people have experiences with other models.

I'm comfortable spending $300-$400 after rebate. If it sounds like there's nothing but crap until you get to a C2 or a WaterRower, I'll probably hunt craigslist for either of those. Just found out today that if I type up a receipt with the seller's info and a signature, I can still get the reimbursement from a craigslist buy.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Hate to be that guy, but what about just joining a gym that has a rower in it, as well as other stuff? $700 will get you almost two years at a decent number of gyms, which is probably significantly more of a lifespan than most home purchase fitness equipment gets.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    You should be able to pick up an older model Concept2 for around $300 - $400. Check university clubs/local crossfit gyms? Those seem the most likely to be replacing old ergs.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Hate to be that guy, but what about just joining a gym that has a rower in it, as well as other stuff? $700 will get you almost two years at a decent number of gyms, which is probably significantly more of a lifespan than most home purchase fitness equipment gets.

I have a ridiculous gym membership, but between work, school, hw and spending time with my wife and daughter, I'm trying to find something that will give me a good workout in the gaps I have in the day. Going into the back yard for 30 minutes while my wife and daughter sleep after her first feeding is a lot easier than the ~1-1.5 hours a gym visit takes. Once I'm done with school, I'll have much more time available for gym trips.
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    You should be able to pick up an older model Concept2 for around $300 - $400. Check university clubs/local crossfit gyms? Those seem the most likely to be replacing old ergs.

I'll do that! Didn't even think about it. If you've used a C2, are they noticeably noisy?

shorttimin on
  • Options

I have a ridiculous gym membership, but between work, school, hw and spending time with my wife and daughter, I'm trying to find something that will give me a good workout in the gaps I have in the day. Going into the back yard for 30 minutes while my wife and daughter sleep after her first feeding is a lot easier than the ~1-1.5 hours a gym visit takes. Once I'm done with school, I'll have much more time available for gym trips.

I'll do that! Didn't even think about it. If you've used a C2, are they noticeably noisy?

Oh, solid. In that case, yeah, incredible piece of exercise equipment. Be sure to switch up your sprints with some of the arm workouts you can do on it or even some weights.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Following on the used train of thought: Look for someone replacing a 'Model C' (a slightly older series) or 'Model B' (even older, wood series that you might find on crag's list)

As far as noise: A C2 erg uses a giant fan for resistance. It sounds exactly like a Schwinn stationary bike that you keep revving up, and gets as loud as one.

Grape Ape on
  • Options

Oh, solid. In that case, yeah, incredible piece of exercise equipment. Be sure to switch up your sprints with some of the arm workouts you can do on it or even some weights.

I assume you can just stand up and do tri extensions or curls right? You know any other ways to use a rower? Space is at a premium at the house right now, and convincing the in-laws to give me a weights are is probably pushing it.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Quick FYI, the WaterRower is the only one that feels even remotely like being out on the water. If you've ever rowed or paddled on water, the magnetic and fan rowers will feel odd in comparison.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options

I assume you can just stand up and do tri extensions or curls right? You know any other ways to use a rower? Space is at a premium at the house right now, and convincing the in-laws to give me a weights are is probably pushing it.

You don't have to stand up, just stay seated and do them. When you're using the rowing machine correctly, the actual row itself should not be abusing your arms nearly as much as your core and legs, so you'll have plenty of arm juice left over.

• Options
    Nice. Now if I could just find some info on midrange rowers that isn't from some formulaic review website

• Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    hsu wrote: »
    Quick FYI, the WaterRower is the only one that feels even remotely like being out on the water. If you've ever rowed or paddled on water, the magnetic and fan rowers will feel odd in comparison.

This is %100 true. My previous gym had both the Concept 2 and the WaterRower and the latter really felt like as if I were a real rower :) It was also much quieter if you are going to be exercising when other people are at home. On the downside though changing resistance involves adding and taking out water so it was a pain in the ass.

Whichever one you choose to get, you won't go wrong with a rowing machine. They will make a Terminator out of you. When I first started rowing, I could barely go 5 minutes before I would hug the floor (I am a smoker). After 2 months, I could go 45 minutes and will be soaked with sweat from head to toe. Amazing form of exercise.

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    It looks like I'll be picking up a Concept 2 Model D with a PM3 this weekend for $500 after reimbursement. Woohoo!

I notice that you can connect a Polar heart rate monitor to these, has anyone here tried it?

• Options
    MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    I have the same rower, great choice IMO. I picked up the heart rate monitor, didn't find it particularly useful in retrospect. I barely use it anymore. For me, as someone just looking to get in shape in the general sense, I quickly found spending the time fiddling with the HR monitor was far less useful then spending the time, you know, exercising. And really, for 95% of the population, you have a pretty good sense of if you are getting your heart rate up, and will gain little from knowing your exact(ish) heart rate at all times.

1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Concept2 makes great rowers. We really liked ours (model d) but we had to sell it because of a move. Which brings me to another great thing about those rowers - they keep their value really well. We sold a 3 year old rower for 75% of the original price

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    Malgaras wrote: »
    I have the same rower, great choice IMO. I picked up the heart rate monitor, didn't find it particularly useful in retrospect. I barely use it anymore. For me, as someone just looking to get in shape in the general sense, I quickly found spending the time fiddling with the HR monitor was far less useful then spending the time, you know, exercising. And really, for 95% of the population, you have a pretty good sense of if you are getting your heart rate up, and will gain little from knowing your exact(ish) heart rate at all times.

I noticed that the monitor had a cable. Did you have to plug it into the monitor while you're wearing it? What does the monitor do, just display your heart rate on the PM3?

• Options
    MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    The cable hooks into a little receiver which talks to the heart rate monitor wirelessly, and yeah, it displays your HR on the performance monitor.

1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Concept2 makes great rowers. We really liked ours (model d) but we had to sell it because of a move. Which brings me to another great thing about those rowers - they keep their value really well. We sold a 3 year old rower for 75% of the original price

+1 for this.

Really enjoy the concept2 rowers I've used in the past.

• Options
    So I've had the rower for a few days and I love it so far. It's kicking my ass, so I'm only doing 10 minutes at a time for now.

Has anyone seen a workout plan along the lines of "couch to 5k", but for rowing? Like "couch to 10k meters" or something?

• Options
    So I've had the rower for a few days and I love it so far. It's kicking my ass, so I'm only doing 10 minutes at a time for now.

Has anyone seen a workout plan along the lines of "couch to 5k", but for rowing? Like "couch to 10k meters" or something?

I'm sure there's something like that. A lot of the preparation is just going to be dialing in technique and then getting comfortable sitting/rowing for ~40 minutes at a time going at a steady pace.

For someone JUST starting to erg, I'd say look into:
    A) some youtube videos for rowers breaking down proper technique on a rowing machine (this will save your back)
    B)a mix of short and medium pieces (4 minutes to 10?) focusing on keeping a steady split time /500 m (change the monitor to avg split + bar graph)
    Once you're feeling confident with your technique + pacing for 10 minutes at a time, then you might start looking at building a periodized workout.
    A progression of pieces focusing on stringing together moderate length workouts (say, 3 -5 2k's, increasing the number over time) starting with 2 - 3 minutes of rest and reducing over time, like:
    1. 3 2k's with 2 minutes rest, + 1 minute active rest
    2. 3 2k's with 1 minutes rest, + 1 minute active rest
    3. 4 2k's with 2 minutes rest, + 1 minute active rest
    4. 4 2k's with 1 minutes rest, + 1 minute active rest
    5. 4 2k's with 1 minute active rest
    etc.

This is off the top of my head, and you should be able to find something more rigorously mapped out. Good luck and happy erging!

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Out of interest, short, how far are you rowing in 10 minutes? That might help give some yardsticks for you.

I used to do a shitload of rowing, and we used to use concepts back then too!

My best recommendation is to keep a running scoreboard of your best times across a variety of different challenges. If you wanted to get right into it, I would keep a weekly or fortnightly scorecard going!

At any rate, the biggest motivating factor for me on the rower was watching my times improve and while I don't know if any couch to 5k equivalents exist, you can do the same with some paper (or excel and excel graphs!)

It's really important to get your form right too. Not only will it prevent an injury (I know plenty of my old rowing mates have fucked backs and shoulders, myself included), but good technique will really improve your times on the rower!

Challenges worth considering that you'll be able to surface on your c2:
    Quickest 500m
    Quickest 1000m (jump straight to 2k if you're pretty fit)
    Quickest 5k
    How many meters in 3 minutes
    How many meters in 10 minutes
    How many meters in 20 minutes

Personally, I hate time based challenges! I like having a set distance that I had to knock out, but ymmv.

My personal challenge to you is get sub-6 minutes over 2k :wink:

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke